Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News ELEX II announced

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Basically a meme invented by low standard beggars

I fear to ask what he considers medium or high standards

and Divine Divinity

you mean the game that was globally loved and appreciated and made Sven the retarded billionaire he's now, squirting Divinity games until he expires till the end of time?

OctavianRomulus

Learned
pepe.jpg

OctavianRomulus

Learned
I'm surprised THQ hasn't forced them to ditch their janky engine immediately after the takeover.

Possibly because they know it really well and that cuts costs down. It's probably "good enough" for the kind of game THQ want them to make, namely a mid-range open-world RPG. Also, the engine of a game contributes a lot to the atmosphere of the game beyond how they make the assets. I will give them the fact that at times it really does feel like Gothic, at least from a visual POV.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Codexers: "They're gonna make the same shit they've been making for 20 years"

Also Codexers: "New games are shit because they're not like old games"

rating_sawyer.gif

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Codexers: "They're gonna make the same shit they've been making for 20 years"

Also Codexers: "New games are shit because they're not like old games"

rating_sawyer.gif

Gothic is already perfection. All they need is to take that and make it better. The problem is not that it's too much like Gothic but that it's not like it.

Risen 1 was in the right direction and that was more than 10 years ago. It's still a good game. Flawed but good.

ELEX engine is fine. As was Gothic 1/2 engine, as was the Risen engine. Hell even Gothic 3 engine, the only major issue was the fucking performance and loading, otherwise it was ok. Don't confuse shitty animations with engine.

Furthermore, the term "jank" is retarded beyond compare, because it is used selectively and irrationally by morons. Low budget Euro games will be called janky, but when Bethesda's crapbryo engine has the same exact jank or worse, no one says anything.

More importantly, "jank" has never made a game worthy or unworthy of playing. Jank has obviously nothing to do with the quality of writing, quest design, world design, NPC schedules, art direction, etc, but even in terms of combat, it's not as important as people think. Dark Souls games might have very tight controls and animations, but how many people playing RPGs really care about that kind of precision anyway, enough for it to make or break the game? Most aRPG combat happens on a much coarser scale, with actions, reactions, timed blocks or dodges, etc. You can do a lot with that, even if your animations and controls aren't that good.

The main issue with ELEX combat had nothing to do with jank. So what if the enemy hit you where it looked like they shouldn't, that only matters if your defensive strategy is plain movement. And that's boring anyway, who wants to walk around enemies? You should've been blocking, dodging, parrying, etc instead, which is more interesting and exciting. That's also where the main issue with ELEX was, shield blocking was OP since you could just block indefinitely, parrying only worked against enemies with one handed weapons (and was kinda weird, because it froze them forever, until next attack), and rolling to dodge got boring all the time.

If they can make parrying work against all humanoids (1h or 2h) in ELEX 2, make constant blocking very stamina intensive, and change dodging from rollling to an actual sidestep type dodge, would make the combat good imo.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
^

The ELEX engine is an upgraded Gothic 3 engine. The game's shortcomings are not due to the technology.

Also, I completely agree with everything you say about the combat. I think they should just take the Risen 1 combat system and add a meaningful stamina system like you said.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Elex was a flawed gem of a game but even so, it had soul and it was atmospheric and had originality.

I imagine Elex II will address some if not all of its issues if the team stays true to the formula, learned from their mistakes and don't fall for the mirage of getting a quick and easy buck.

I don't get it why some people hate it witch such a passion, as though their life depended on it receiving the "Codex's RPG of the year" award.

In late 90s/early 2000s, ELEX would've been a flawed gem.

In 2010-2020s, it's a great game. It does have flaws, but compared to the shit out there today...

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What's wrong with the red head lady? Think she looks good, got a bit Conan vibes over her.

Geckabor

Savant
I don't get it why some people hate it witch such a passion, as though their life depended on it receiving the "Codex's RPG of the year" award.

They hate the fact that some of us were able to enjoy ELEX and got that special feeling of having fun that you only experienced while playing your favorite games during your teen years.

Hellraiser

Arcane
But despite that, the world was so original, well designed, and full of cool stuff to find and explore, that it's one of the better exploration games I've ever played.

This, the only other game that scratched that exploration itch for me in recent years was Subnautica. Really fucking hard to find a decent open world game with a non-random generated world these days, that just lets you explore and find shit (and kill you if you go into the wrong place) rather than spam you with fucking POI markers on the GUI ruining the experience.

My only gripe with ELEX in this aspect was the copy and pasted assets. The same ruined brick tower model was in like 20 places in the game world, no game before it managed to bother me with such a thing. In their place I would just write a script for randomly generating brick ruins that mostly serve as decoration anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom