Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
New demon showcase:

Momock

Augur
I am not exactly sure I like this. Yes this will cut quite a bit of frustration from the system, but passing consuming half turns had meaning aswell. It forced you to use the abilities from certain demons when their turn comes up after a crit. You wanted to keep at least one damage move on a healer/buffer type demon, otherwise when their turn comes up flashing after a crit you would waste a turn by skipping. Now you can savely skip with utility type characters to let your damage dealer demons deal more damage. Also fighting last stand type battles becomes a lot stronger. If some of your main team demons die and you summon garbage from your stock to fill the rows during a tight bossfight the new pass rules make that a lot stronger.
I would have to play it to make up my opinion, I am a bit wary over the change tho.
But passing turns still makes them demi-turns, so they're not "1 moreable" anymore.

Let's say I have 4 turns and pass two times in a row... in old system I'm left with 3 full-turns -> potentially 6 turns, while with the new system I'm left with 2 demi-turns + 2 full-turns -> potentially 6 turns. And also if you have lots of demi-turns in stock it's dangerous because a fail will make them all *puf* into nothing.

So it's kinda balanced in the end.

Right...?

PS: I feel like the new system is more simple to get/use for noobs but won't be much more exploitable than the old one for pros. I didn't think about it that much though.

d1r

Patron
Speaking of it:

Seems like this one has some cutscenes with the MC.

YouTube translation:
Genma Fionn mac Cumhaill: A hero of Celtic myth. Leader of the Fianna. While training under a druid priest, he was ordered to cook the Salmon of Knowledge and gained wisdom after licking his thumb which was covered in the salmon's fat. His unique skill is a physical attack called Mac an Luinn.

lightbane

Arcane
Looks like they're scrapping the bottom of the barrel a bit mythology-wise. Also, that guy had it easy compared to say Odin.
I wonder if nu-Atlus will dare to make a video for the say risqué demons like the almighty Mara.

d1r

Patron
Looks like they're scrapping the bottom of the barrel a bit mythology-wise. Also, that guy had it easy compared to say Odin.
I wonder if nu-Atlus will dare to make a video for the say risqué demons like the almighty Mara.

There's nothing really risque about this demon in their culture. There will definitely be a video about Mara, unless of course he is not in the game.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
More Celtic demons are always cool. Super interesting lore, and despite being from the cultural centrum of Europe Celtic stories are strangely underrepresented in the West. Sure you get the odd fey inspired by Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, but overall it is strange that the Japanese outperform the entire West when it comes to putting Celtic myths into their works.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
More Celtic demons are always cool. Super interesting lore, and despite being from the cultural centrum of Europe Celtic stories are strangely underrepresented in the West.
Because hardly anyone outside of Ireland can pronounce the names of half of their gods.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
More Celtic demons are always cool. Super interesting lore, and despite being from the cultural centrum of Europe Celtic stories are strangely underrepresented in the West. Sure you get the odd fey inspired by Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, but overall it is strange that the Japanese outperform the entire West when it comes to putting Celtic myths into their works.

It can't be helped. Continental Celts left barely any written records of their beliefs and everyone hates the Irish.

Have you noticed that of all of that trailers take place in large areas, like it was no dungeons at all? At first I tought it was just the beginning of the geam but latest trailer includes 38 lvl demon so it's kinda far.

Also, bye bye world map :salute:

tumblr_of4ip6vHZp1udfbowo1_540.jpg

If bondage angel gets a surprise reveal as the last member of the angel evolution chain I am ok with this, if not then riot.

Both angels from Apocalypse were too similar so if they gonna bring black angel as high level demon a only replace low level blue angel then it would be even better.

BTW who is that angel wearing red armor? It's not Archangel nor Power alt design and it's too early to reveal any of the four main archangels.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Super interesting lore, and despite being from the cultural centrum of Europe Celtic stories are strangely underrepresented in the West. Sure you get the odd fey inspired by Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, but overall it is strange that the Japanese outperform the entire West when it comes to putting Celtic myths into their works.

There's few works that are authentically celtic but in terms of being influenced by said myths, it's so pervasive you might just not realize how much fantasy work take from the stuff unless it's directly pointed out to you. Headless riders (Dullahan), screaming ghosts (banshees), the lake maiden archetype (mentioning this I can't help but be reminded of how much Arthurian myths are celtic stuff with a british more urbanized coat of paint), changelings, will'o'wisps are all common fantasy creatures in both western and japanese fiction. RPG systems like D&D have the very embodiment of celtic myth in a class, the Druid. Overall, for how little has been preserved of celtic culture, I wouldn't say they're underrepresented.

In fact, the elves of modern fiction have more to do with ancient celtic culture overall than the myth behind the name 'elf'. The elves of myth aren't quite the magical civilization that lives surrounded by greeneries but rather :
In Old English, elves are most often mentioned in medical texts which attest to the belief that elves might afflict humans and livestock with illnesses: apparently mostly sharp, internal pains and mental disorders.
Beliefs in elves causing illnesses remained prominent in early modern Scotland, where elves were viewed as being supernaturally powerful people who lived invisibly alongside everyday rural people.[53] Thus, elves were often mentioned in the early modern Scottish witchcraft trials: many witnesses in the trials believed themselves to have been given healing powers or to know of people or animals made sick by elves
In a similar vein, elves are in Middle High German most often associated with deceiving or bewildering people in a phrase that occurs so often it would appear to be proverbial: die elben/der alp trieget mich ("the elves/elf are/is deceiving me")
In later medieval prayers, Elves appear as a threatening, even demonic, force. For example, there are prayers which invoke God's help against nocturnal attacks by Alpe.[111] Correspondingly, in the early modern period, elves are described in north Germany doing the evil bidding of witches; Martin Luther believed his mother to have been afflicted in this way
In folk stories, Scandinavian elves often play the role of disease spirits. The most common, though also most harmless case was various irritating skin rashes,

Yup, modern elves definitely have nothing to do with their own mythical origins. On the other hand, they feel, as a whole, very close to what you'd imagine a celtic mythical druid to be. A druid with pointy ears.

3TxR7e7.jpg

5oi6iG4.jpg

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Headless riders (Dullahan), screaming ghosts (banshees), the lake maiden archetype (mentioning this I can't help but be reminded of how much Arthurian myths are celtic stuff with a british more urbanized coat of paint), changelings, will'o'wisps are all common fantasy creatures in both western and japanese fiction.

Very good points. Particularily banshees, will of the wisps and the druid class are all deeply infused with celtic mythology and very relevant.

Because hardly anyone outside of Ireland can pronounce the names of half of their gods.

This is probably a good explanation for why we only get the unspecific fantasy creatures from them, not the named heroes.
Katakana butchers any western language the same, it does not matter if it was English, German or Irish. Particularily those long consonant chains are made a lot easier to pronounce, since every kana carries a vocal (except n for some reason).
Chu Chulainn for example just becomes Kū Fūrin. Fionn mac Cumhaill becomes Fin makkūru.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Chu Chulainn for example just becomes Kū Fūrin. Fionn mac Cumhaill becomes Fin makkūru.

:? You sure about that? Chulainn is ホリン in Fire Emblem, which approximates the Irish pronunciation "xʊlˠɪn". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fianna is フィアナ. Tír na nÓg is rendered as ティルナノグ which is pretty much the same.

Took the Katakana from the SMT wikis, idk if those are wrong.
Ok now that I am somewhat awake: Fate calls Chulainn クー・フーリン, so I took that as Fate is the most prominent representation of the Hound of Culann.
As for the other guy you can see in the Japanese trailer that they went for フィン・マックール.
Those were the ones I based the romaji of.
So I guess there are multiple ways to translate irish into katakana, if Fire Emblem takes a different approach. Yet again another thing that makes Irish less ball breaking for them than for us.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So by the time SMT5 comes out they have had revealed every demon, right? Except maybe the final boss? It just feels weird how modern era devs just spill the beans on their entire game before it's released so there ends up being very little in the way of surprises.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
So by the time SMT5 comes out they have had revealed every demon, right? Except maybe the final boss? It just feels weird how modern era devs just spill the beans on their entire game before it's released so there ends up being very little in the way of surprises.

I suppose that this doubles down as a popularity check of sorts aswell.
Merely tracking how many views/likes/dislikes the individual reveals get is valuable data for deciding which demons get to become evergreen demons and which get a redesign or the axe.

So by the time SMT5 comes out they have had revealed every demon, right?.

There much more demons to reveal (with one-per-day scheme) than days left so they propably left final bosses and some high level shit too.

I woonder if some of the most complex 2D demons will have their transition to 3D - like Ancient of Days, Mastema, Merkabah.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
JP trailer but now Offical sub from Atlus.

:shredder: This shit looks good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom