Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Alright, so I finished the demo which was way shorter than I thought (that's what she said). Putting aside the LGBTBBQ nonsense and the lack of high-T portraits, the game mechanics are bland and leaning towards popamole. Turns out that the exciting, new simultaneous turn-based system is just.... *drum roll*.... real-time with pause. Shooting takes up 1-2 turns, while moving takes up 1 turn. (EDIT: well it's not really traditional RTWP either; Maggot provided a better explanation 5 posts down)

I do like a few things though, like how every weapon has multiple attack modes (you can even throw weapons at enemies). The art style, music and "visceral feel" of the game are on point too, although the UI takes some getting used to and is, arguably, a visual mess.

Can't believe I backed this on Kickstarter for $100 :(

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Eh, I think everyone gets burned at least once backing a project that sounds great on paper. Heck, some projects I've backed never made it to release!

Also, if a project does speak to your heart, back/support responsibly...

mi.png

Last edited:

hello friend

Arcane
Alright, so I finished the demo which was way shorter than I thought (that's what she said). Putting aside the LGBTBBQ nonsense and the lack of high-T portraits, the game mechanics are bland and leaning towards popamole. Turns out that the exciting, new simultaneous turn-based system is just.... *drum roll*.... real-time with pause.
Fuck. This was one of the games I was the most excited about. Rtwp is absolutely unplayable.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Turns out that the exciting, new simultaneous turn-based system is just.... *drum roll*.... real-time with pause. Shooting takes up 1-2 turns, while moving takes up 1 turn.
Yeah, they gave up on that pretty early on, no?

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I haven't played any of the demos but I was under the impression the simultaneous turn-based system was just copying roguelikes where every action takes a certain amount of time and everything else gets to act during it as well, not RtWP and I see nothing about it that strikes me as RtWP.

udm

Arcane
Patron
I haven't played any of the demos but I was under the impression the simultaneous turn-based system was just copying roguelikes where every action takes a certain amount of time and everything else gets to act during it as well, not RtWP and I see nothing about it that strikes me as RtWP.

Yeah I guess that would be the better description, my bad hello friend. I jumped the gun too fast on that statement.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Yes, and that's why the portraits are all so effeminate/soyboy looking. The non-binary gender is probably for mega autists who identify as one of the other letters that's not L, G, B, or T.

Meepo

Educated
Rtwp is absolutely unplayable.

It's not RTWP though, why people keep saying that? Out of combat the game is in real time. In combat it is turn-based with simultaneous resolution, like in traditional roguelikes.

Such combat CAN be interesting with proper encounter design. Unfortunately, the only enemies in demo are squishy melee zombies, so it's just click-click-click to shoot them one by one.

It's not RTWP though, why people keep saying that? Out of combat the game is in real time. In combat it is turn-based with simultaneous resolution, like in traditional roguelikes.
Mechajammer has simultaneous combat, just like RTwP. That is fundamentally different from the sequential combat in turn-based games.

Dexter

Arcane
Let's try Infinitron's (second?) most favorite "Pronoun" game. Cringe Indie art style, some sort of unholy alliance between effortless low-poly 3D and pixel graphics. Dialogues happen with thought bubbles you click on. There's some dialogue dumps about things the player is unfamiliar with and has no connection to early on, ETA to capable Stronk Black Womyn like two minutes. Unsure what all the buttons do, since it ain't explained. Clicking RMB apparently engages combat even though there are no enemies around and the only way I saw out of that state is clicking the green gun at the bottom left of the screen. Combat system seems Eh, feels like some sort of RTWP that auto-pauses between attacks, you just right-click to shoot or bludgeon and things die as they come closer. Mousewheel Up brings up different kinds of attacks. Enemies look like some sort of ghouls. You have to Left-click on compartments on the wall to open them, this works less often than you'd think and you have to reposition characters to be able to do so. F picks up items. Stumbled on some other bugs like got stuck in a close zoom while looting a fridge-looking thing and had to figure out holding MMB and dragging the mouse zooms in or out and misspellings within the first few minutes. You just kinda walk around by clicking aimlessly and kill shit, which isn't particularly fun till the Demo ends in just a few minutes. There's a driving section near the end, says it's a bike but looks more like a buggy to me. You control it with WASD like Micro Machines just a lot worse, W to Accelerate and A, D to turn left or right. Controls about as well as it sounds. Real GOTY here.

Some Screens:
Adam? It says "Mika". They wouldn't just be "deadnaming" the poor lad here, would they?
20210618150411_1d6kxe.jpg

"Right click to attack and enemy or target."
20210618151221_156k4y.jpg

20210618150449_15jj3q.jpg
20210618150516_18skso.jpg
20210618150741_1j4kqx.jpg
20210618151122_1ccjf3.jpg
20210618151353_1jhk04.jpg
20210618151527_1i6jfz.jpg
20210618152128_1eokr6.jpg
20210618152620_1gbjtr.jpg
20210618153202_176k7b.jpg

Last edited:

hello friend

Arcane

Such combat CAN be interesting with proper encounter design. Unfortunately, the only enemies in demo are squishy melee zombies, so it's just click-click-click to shoot them one by one.
Well, that is at least cause for allowing the possibility of hope.

buffalo bill

Arcane

Yeah, the best iteration of the beta (like a year ago?) had much more difficult enemies and more interesting terrain. SitS suffered from endless trash mob combat. Imo they shouldn't dumb down the difficulty in this game to causal-level, nor should they fill the game with boring easy combat encounters with an occasional difficult encounter thrown in sometimes. Much better to make all the combat difficult.

Agree that turn-based with simultaneous-resolution is a perfectly acceptable way to build a game, as in traditional roguelikes. And I really think it could work here if they make the combat harder.

I also kinda hate the narrative design they have, though, which no one seems to have mentioned. Way better would be something like the Genesis Shadowrun—less linear, less spoon-fed plot, etc.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Mechajammer has simultaneous combat, just like RTwP. That is fundamentally different from the sequential combat in turn-based games.
Simultaneous resolution does not disqualify something from being turn-based, unless you think tabletop games like Battletech are played in real-time.

Simultaneous resolution does not disqualify something from being turn-based, unless you think tabletop games like Battletech are played in real-time.
Mechajammer has "simultaneous turn-based" combat, but not "sequential turn-based" combat, which is turn-based combat in the classic sense.

Ergo, combat in Mechajammer and RTwP games is simultaneous, while in your classic turn-based game it is sequential, which is why many people are claiming that Mechajammer has RTwP combat. "Simultaneous turn-based" combat and RTwP combat look and play quite similarly.

Anyway, it is funny how much the mere mention of RTwP can trigger people with the reading comprehension of a five year old.

udm

Arcane
Patron
I also kinda hate the narrative design they have, though, which no one seems to have mentioned. Way better would be something like the Genesis Shadowrun—less linear, less spoon-fed plot, etc.

Interesting that you should mention this, as this was what my second thought while playing the demo (my first thought was "what's up with the UI?"). A lot of games designed by millennials seem to have this narrative device where they are in-your-face info dumps, often overly dramatic. It's like they follow the Marvel/Disney playbook where the drama has to be turned up at every opportunity.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Who cares if the combat is tb or rtwp when either way it's trash? This year has provided some amazing demos (Skald, CS, Space Wreck for example) and this wasn't one of those.

UI is awful too, and there doesn't seem to be much else going on. My hopes for this being any good are gone.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Can't believe I backed this on Kickstarter for $100

Was Serpent in the Staglands really that good to put this much faith in a game that looked like garbage since the first gameplay video?

No. It was a flawed gem, just good enough to get everyone's hopes up for Copper Dreams. The RTwP combat and lowpixel graphics sucked and now they're repeating those mistakes.

PEACH

Arbiter
Got around to playing the demo and somehow walked away no more informed about the game than I was beforehand.

Would've been nice to present a scenario that made the most of the systems in play but instead you follow a linear path, shoot brain-dead enemies and then it ends. Not sure why they bothered including chargen at all.

Space Wreck did a much better job selling itself with its demo, you walk away with a clear understanding of what it is and can easily imagine how a full game might play out. Rather than usher you though a rushed sequence it drops you into a highly interactive environment where you can poke and prod at all the elements of the game's design to your heart's content.

I already paid for the game and I'm happy it's creeping closer to release so I'm not trying to sound dismissive here but they squandered a good opportunity to showcase the game with this one, as usual.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom