Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallen Gods - upcoming Norse saga-inspired roguelite from Wormwood Studios

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Inspiration is alright, as long as you don't use the worse features from 30+ years old games.
I come up with my own bad features. But Barbarian Prince helped me to conceive the game's overall framework.

LoneWolf as in the CYOA game books?
I played quite a few back in the days but not the complete series, some were quite good and some average, Kaï power progression and artefacts you could export were the two highlight of the series.
The basic inspiration here was that you could only have a few Kai powers (in the early books), and the powers provided really interesting options in encounters. Likewise, a limited number of items and artifacts with interesting options associated with them.

I found Saga of the Demonspawn way better and with only 4 books, you could actually complete this one.
Never played.

So, Party-based with TB combat?
AP system?
No, it's nothing like that at all. The combat will be despised by the Codex, and I'm not even going to attempt to sugarcoat it. It's a very basic real-time-with-pause combat in which your only real mode of interaction is to pick what targets you engage with (game pauses to let you pick), and you can't break engagement until the target is dead. (This is partly rooted in a bad feature from 30 40 years ago, namely Barbarian Prince's combat, so maybe on that score I'm guilty as charged.) You can also choose whether to retreat, and if so, when. That's it. Combat is mostly about how you prepare going into it, your risk assessment of whether to start a fight, and then just generally a mechanism for seeing your warband's strength level and for causing attrition.

I'm hoping to do a gameplay video soon so that everyone excited about the game can stop being excited.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
So, Darklands combat after all ...
I'll show myself out.
No, it is enormously different from Darklands combat, probably worse, but its flaws are different.

Darklands has a two-dimensional combat map, where a big part of combat is moving your characters around like in an RTS, picking an optimal position, etc. Everyone moves at the same time, and lots of turns are happening very quickly. Thus, frantically keeping track of what's going on where and reacting quickly enough is part of the point (as in, say, Ultima VII). Plus, you have lots of actions you can do: melee attack, ranged attack, alchemy, etc. (Right? It's been years.)

Fallen Gods has zero-dimensional combat. You don't move around a grid, you pick a target. You don't have different actions, you can only attack. There is never any need to react quickly because there is nothing a quick reaction could accomplish for you. When you kill a target, the game pauses till you select a new one; when a follower is at low HP, you don't really have anything you can do about it other than fleeing the fight altogether. Only one character moves at a time, and the turns are relatively slow in comparison to Darklands. There's no chance that your follower is going to be at low HP and you don't notice it before he gets killed.

Put otherwise, Darklands both permits and requires some twitch reactions. Fallen Gods neither permits nor requires them because of the largely uninteractive nature of the combat. It could just as easily be turn based, but since the only option you would each turn would be "attack [with this character]" or "flee [with the whole party]," there was no point in even posing that as a question. Whenever there is actually a decision to make (namely, who to engage), the game pauses.

In that sense, the RTwP is misleading -- it's like calling the combat in The Ancient Art of War real-time. It is, but you don't actually do anything in real-time other than watch (and decide whether to signal a retreat).

Like I said, I don't want to sugarcoat it because I never want people to play my games under false pretenses. If what you want is robust character creation, deep NPC interactions, fiddly itemization, tactical combat depth, etc., you shouldn't play FG. It doesn't have any of those things.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Are you really developing this game or just trying to freak out everyone?

Are the strategy and kingdom management feature going to be so good the shitty combat system won't be an issue or you just love wasting time and money?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Are you really developing this game or just trying to freak out everyone?
Why would people get freaked out? Shouldn't it be comforting to know that this game is terrible?

Are the strategy and kingdom management feature going to be so good
No, absolutely not. To begin with, there is no "kingdom management feature," so while it will not be a bad kingdom management feature, neither will it be good.

The strategic level is also extremely shallow, though shallow in different ways. You are basically just making cost-benefit gambles in trading off various resources (time, food, money, soul strength, morale, warband strength) based on imperfect information. Those gambles take different forms: For instance, my berserk is nearly dead, do I rest (-days, -food), use the Healing Hands miracle (-soul), press on to a temple (-days of travel time, -fewer days of healing, -gold), or just try pushing forward without healing him (risking -warband strength)? Another example would be, do I give some of my MHP to a riverwight (-MHP, -morale, permanently shut down town, permanent stat bonus), or do I fight her (-warband strength, +souls if I win), etc. This isn't a strategic layer in the sense of a real strategy game, it's fuzzier -- you have some general idea of what resources you might need to win given the goal you're pursuing, and then you're trying to make the right trade-offs on the way, but it's not like Crusader Kings or something.

or you just love wasting time and money?
Basically. Fallen Gods is a game I'm making based on things I want to create, not based on things I hope some player will want to consume. I think there is a chance that players will like it, but not for the reasons you're focused on. The Steam page lays out what I think are the key features, but basically it boils down to interesting event choices based on your current load-out, written in a particular style in a particular setting. If the style/setting appeal to you, then I think the interesting choices (and the various ways your load-out affects them) could make the game engaging for a player.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
MRY

At some point you have to stop listening to Darth Canoli. He thinks that you forgot to make this game Jagged Aliiance 3. The rest of us know you didn't forget; you wanted to make something else, and we're looking forward to playing it. (Some of us even played Barbarian Prince once upon a time, unlike most of these unwashed children.) Let him go.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Well, I want to make sure that people aren't excited about the game for incorrect reasons. Sometimes it's as important to say what the game isn't as to say what it is. I wouldn't do this on the Steam page in the same way, but the Codex can take the hard truths!

Binky

Cipher
Been listening to the Fallen Gods update tracks, especially this melancholy little tune:

Is the music for the game already finished? If yes, can we get a little taste?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The music is not finished, though we do have a lot of tracks. Other than the tracks that are already in the updates (there should be 8?), I haven't uploaded any to SoundCloud, so they're not easily accessible.

The music is, to my ear, perfect. Just as we tried to use Anglo-Saxon words and saga techniques like alliteration to try to create the verbal "sound" of the world we're evoking, we tried to use appropriate instrumentation and musical technique, which is not easy, as there is no extant music of that era and it's basically an archaeological exercise. (There is one CD by a historian, "Fornnordiska Klanger," which is a useful if speculative source.) Ultimately, we aren't trying to reproduce an "authentic" language or soundscape, but we do want an evocative one, and I think the music really succeeds in that regard.

Brickfrog

Learned
No interest in the game but I respect the hell out of your marketing strategy and will be purchasing

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
MRY soo-o.. lets get this straight, in this game combat (and pretty much every other player decision) will be a somewhat informed gamble using available resources without any player skill factor for somewhat uncertain returns?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
No interest in the game but I respect the hell out of your marketing strategy and will be purchasing
I never thought I would see credo quia absurdum at work selling copies for my games. Since I hate when people buy something I work on and don’t like it, you should at least wait and see.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko This requires more than just a glib Latin motto, and I’m on my phone right now. The answer is not yes or no, but I think it’s more no than yes.

Brickfrog

Learned
I never thought I would see credo quia absurdum at work selling copies for my games. Since I hate when people buy something I work on and don’t like it, you should at least wait and see.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko This requires more than just a glib Latin motto, and I’m on my phone right now. The answer is not yes or no, but I think it’s more no than yes.
Don't tell me what to do

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
MRY soo-o.. lets get this straight, in this game combat (and pretty much every other player decision) will be a somewhat informed gamble using available resources without any player skill factor for somewhat uncertain returns?
Automated "hands off" combat is valid and fun imo. Prepare, wind them up, watch them go. Disciples series, Ogre Battle 1, the upcoming Gladiator Guild Manager, the entire Dominions series, Totally Accurate Battle Simulator. It's not like this is some insane, untested idea that's antithetical to good gaming.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Don't tell me what to do
Fair enough. I just don't particularly need the financial support, so buying a game you don't want to support me isn't the best use of your resources, that's all.

I think this is a reasonably accurate, but incomplete description. It also depends what "player skill factor" means. If you mean "twitch reactions," then, yes. Except for someone with an extreme manual impairment, who conceivably might miss a key moment to flee from a fight, there's no "player skill" in that regard. But I view the exercise of judgment as a player skill, too, and that matters -- including in combat. Target selection is a non-trivial matter. Some units will do better against other units; there are ways to protect low HP characters (for instance, by tying up the enemy by engaging with someone else); certain enemies are better to kill first (e.g., "leader" enemies who give a bonus to others, wizards whose death destroys any shades they've summoned, etc.). I think calling this an "informed gamble" somewhat understates things -- it sounds more like King of Dragon Pass, where the combat really does have a roulette wheel feel to it.

More generally, because the game is not explicit about what the risks and rewards are, player judgment -- to some extent metaknowledge but to some extent common sense -- can give you an edge. And figuring out the right sequence of risks to take is important, too.

Though it is an inapt analogy, there was an article I read once about grinding in Dragon Warrior 1 that makes me want to analogize to very early jRPG combat. A big part of the judgment you're make is how hard to push -- when you want to go all in, when you want to hedge, etc. In early jRPGs, the consideration was basically: It costs X gold to rest in an inn, and takes me Y minutes to walk from the combat grinding area to the inn; the more fights I do in the combat grinding area, the greater return I get on on X and Y; is it worth risking another fight, or should I go back and rest? In FG, there's no grinding (this is why it's a bad analogy), but there are opportunity costs to avoiding risks. If you leave a cave to rest out of every fight, you will consume many more days in clearing the cave, which in turn leaves you fewer days to pursue other possible rewards. Conversely, if you try to push through a cave in one shot, you could lose an important follower, or the god could die (costing you a week to resurrect), etc. Whether to enter the cave in the first place is itself a cost-benefit analysis. Even though it's close by (and thus you're saving days by spelunking now rather than later), you might not be strong enough to chance it. Do you load up on a bunch of churls first? A stop in a village will take some time, and though the churls are free, they eat food, and if you don't feed them, they become unhappy, in which case they won't be much help in the cave. So you might need to spend gold to buy them some food (fortunately food is cheap in villages) or you might want to hunt en route to the cave (costing you a day).

Zoomed in very closely, each of these decisions is an "informed gamble" (for instance, hunting is a gamble because the amount of food you get is random [though it is affected by factors like the terrain you're hunting in, your gear, your stats, your fetch (familiar), whether you have a woodsman in the warband, etc.], so sometimes it will prove costlier than just buying food), but when you zoom out a little, there are so many such decisions going on at once, that the game is not really a bunch of blind bets, it's a game with gameplay. Very stylized gameplay, to be sure. But more meaningful gameplay in some respects than many RPGs because in many RPGs, every choice is a winning choice, just some win a little more slowly than others. In FG, some choices prove bad, others prove good, and the skill is not just in risk management on the front end, but knowing how to lean into the successful choices when they happen and mitigate the bad choices when they happen.

But the other thing I guess I would say is that while gameplay is about mechanics, the experience of playing a game is not entirely mechanical. Thus, while a strictly minmaxing player would see FG as nothing but a series of informed gambles, ultimately the game is not built around minmaxing. Many choices are meant to have a certain inherent fun (or revulsion), and some of the reward is meant to be narrative, not numerical. Like, blowing the Lur right in the face of a senile old jarl, letting a witch eat a baby, letting your berserk win the hand of the headman's daughter, headbanging with a troll who a wandering skald taught to sing, having your eagle rip out a viking's eyes -- ultimately, if those kinds of opportunities (within a context of calculated risk) add to your pleasure, you might like Fallen Gods. But if they don't, you probably won't, because there are other games that have better mechanics. The same is true of the failures. If being ripped apart from unsuccessfully wrestling a bear, provoking a mob (and a draug!) to attack you by trying to save a slave girl from sacrifice at a funeral, causing a crisis of faith at a shrine by being such a loser god, etc. don't amuse you at all, then the experience of gambling and losing in the game probably won't be much fun -- it would be like missing shots in X-Com but without the tactical combat in which the misses occur.

Zombra Yes, Ogre Battle 1 was an inspiration. Indeed, long before Dan Miller created the amazing aesthetic to the combat, the idea was to directly imitate the Ogre Battle 1 look.

With Strangeland now out the door, do you have a vague estimation on when FG might be shipping? Don’t worry, I won’t hold you to it, but am more hyped for this than just about any upcoming release. Your self-deprecation is either working wonderfully or back-firing spectacularly.

Zombra

Patron
159fed780f4fe053740375343394a55bfdad34c2_00.jpg

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Yes. I will try to put up a year end post summarizing. Lots of design progress. Lots of new art and sound. Some new writing, but writing remains a major chokepoint.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom