Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Der Geisterjäger -- the third dungeon crawler by Graverobber Foundation -- OUT NOW

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
zwanzig_zwoelf have you ever played Wibarm? The basic game flow and how stats are set up give me strong vibes. Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere.
I've played it a few years ago while gathering information on early 3D games made in Japan and liked it a lot, would like to beat it someday.

No accidentally bashing the doors? No sudden mines in 5 minutes? That video is clearly fake.
Guess what happened one minute after the end of this video. :positive:

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
I tried it out for a bit and here is some stuff I wrote down:
The accidental door bashing happened to me a few times. The standard action in front of doors should probably be "Open Door", much like "Check" is the standard action for points of interest.
Speaking of "Checking" - I believe the small pop-up text box that says "checking"/"scanning"/etc could be removed. It just re-affirms what you are doing and requires further input.
Generally speaking, it's always a good idea to keep the required keypresses at a minimum. That sounds lazy but it makes the whole thing a lot snappier.
For example, in combat you could save the last enemy selection and the corresponding action. Then automatically put the cursor selection on these list items next round (so you basically save the menu navigation).
Thinking a bit of Elminage here where you decide a strategy and then just hit a single button to repeat what you did last round.

You may also want to add an option to lock the map rotation (perhaps that works already?). That may just be me, but I think that would make it easier to navigate the area.

Otherwise, it's very nice. Especially visually. :salute:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I tried it out for a bit and here is some stuff I wrote down:
The accidental door bashing happened to me a few times. The standard action in front of doors should probably be "Open Door", much like "Check" is the standard action for points of interest.
Speaking of "Checking" - I believe the small pop-up text box that says "checking"/"scanning"/etc could be removed. It just re-affirms what you are doing and requires further input.
Generally speaking, it's always a good idea to keep the required keypresses at a minimum. That sounds lazy but it makes the whole thing a lot snappier.
For example, in combat you could save the last enemy selection and the corresponding action. Then automatically put the cursor selection on these list items next round (so you basically save the menu navigation).
Thinking a bit of Elminage here where you decide a strategy and then just hit a single button to repeat what you did last round.

You may also want to add an option to lock the map rotation (perhaps that works already?). That may just be me, but I think that would make it easier to navigate the area.

Otherwise, it's very nice. Especially visually. :salute:
Excellent feedback.

Suggesting (auto-selecting) the action that makes sense right now is a good point and something I've been pondering for a while. I'll see what can be done on that front without introducing more problems for the player.

Map rotation remains free for now, as having fixed map rotation will make spinner mazes piss easy, as you'll have another way to determine how it affected you.

Thanks for playing. :salute:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Finished it, but I don't think I explored everything, I never found anymore access cards besides the one of the upper floor. I never made it into the holding cells and I smashed my way into the fancy bedrooms for mostly nothing, but since I already knew this was a demo there was no reason not to blow the doors off their hinges with bazooka rounds.
I'd like to be able to add text to my markers to better clarify why I put them there, the on-screen visual is nice. Shotgun seems to be OP I'll probably be pouring every credit into upgrading it and stocking it with ammo depending on how much the cash flows.
What exactly do scramblers do besides make scary noises? I didn't seem to notice any effects.
While I got dinged a few times and had to use some portable medkits the overall difficulty was pretty easy, used the sniper rifle on the big bad. I really like the sword.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Finished it, but I don't think I explored everything, I never found anymore access cards besides the one of the upper floor. I never made it into the holding cells and I smashed my way into the fancy bedrooms for mostly nothing, but since I already knew this was a demo there was no reason not to blow the doors off their hinges with bazooka rounds.
I'd like to be able to add text to my markers to better clarify why I put them there, the on-screen visual is nice. Shotgun seems to be OP I'll probably be pouring every credit into upgrading it and stocking it with ammo depending on how much the cash flows.
What exactly do scramblers do besides make scary noises? I didn't seem to notice any effects.
While I got dinged a few times and had to use some portable medkits the overall difficulty was pretty easy, used the sniper rifle on the big bad. I really like the sword.
Excellent feedback, thanks for giving it a go.

Adding text to markers is a bit tricky -- do you think the ability to add pre-made tags to them (e.g. 'LEVEL F REQUIRED') would be a good compromise?

Shotgun is meant to be powerful, but it burns through your ammo very quickly, especially once you unlock fire modes that allow you to shoot 2-3 times per turn, turning it into a Jackhammer. Pouring every credit into upgrading it is a valid tactic, but if you get surrounded by enemies immune to kinetic attacks, you're going to suffer.

Jammers have varying effects. The ones present in the demo reduce evasion of entities within their range, allowing you to lure enemies near them and kill them easily. Other variations can limit your vision (similar to dark zones from DGT), turn off your ability to move and attack simultaneously, suck away your energy, or turn off your map.

The difficulty is working as intended here, since the first 2 levels are supposed to be manageable if you're familiar with the series, but tough for newcomers. You'll get to enjoy getting your teeth kicked in around Level 3-4. :positive:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
E4ZMqXSXoAMJP4Y

Bois.

I'm preparing a quick update for the demo that addresses the feedback I've got so far. In-game settings, fixed map switch, the ability to turn off chromatic aberrations, and much more.

If there won't be any blocking issues along the way, I'll get it out by the end of the week.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Demo updated to 0.6.1.

Changelog:
  • Fixed a script bug that prevented the player from closing the terminals on Level 2.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the player from attacking turrets.
  • Fixed camera clipping through walls when the player gets slammed against them.
  • Added settings to the game menu.
  • Added GUI assist function. It'll highlight Durability Count, Health Points, Energy, and Ammo when they reach a certain threshold.
  • Added a switch between free and fixed map rotation.
  • Added chromatic aberrations settings.
  • Added the ability to change the dismiss key.
  • Added suggestion of the next action depending on what's in front of the player.
  • Added memorization of the last attacked target.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Der Geisterjager ist der beste Dungeon-Crawl-Simulationstitel, der aus dem genialen Geist eines Zwanzig Zwoels stammt. Ich bin so gelöscht, um dieses Spiel zu spielen, dass ich bald eine junge Frau aus dem Dorf feiern werde.

lightbane

Arcane
Now, for something different, a review of your first game in Spanish, done by a channel that seems to cover some known gems here and somewhat obscure games.

Of course, you won't understand anything if you don't know Spanish, but those Codexians that know may be interested. Either way, it is promotion for your game/s and the guy palyed the first one in preparation for the second one.

Now, if only your games didn't have unpronounceable titles...

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Now, for something different, a review of your first game in Spanish, done by a channel that seems to cover some known gems here and somewhat obscure games.

Of course, you won't understand anything if you don't know Spanish, but those Codexians that know may be interested. Either way, it is promotion for your game/s and the guy palyed the first one in preparation for the second one.

Now, if only your games didn't have unpronounceable titles...

Can you tell me the gist of it, if you don't mind? I remember seeing it, but forgot to ask you (since I don't know too many people who actually speak Spanish).

lightbane

Arcane
Well, that will take a while, as I'm busy these days and that video is long, but I'll give it a full look once I can.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Have you given any thought to adding additional shaders like scanlines or noise to enhance the immersuns? Like screen skips when taking damage and that kinda thing?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Have you given any thought to adding additional shaders like scanlines or noise to enhance the immersuns? Like screen skips when taking damage and that kinda thing?
The game already uses noise, but it's mostly used to mask color banding and make dithered polygons grittier and less flat. Other effects were considered, but I didn't have time to research and develop them properly, so their implementation is left on the 'nice to have' list.

There are on-screen lines and subtle screen shaking when you take damage, but like all effects, I keep them intentionally subtle.

lightbane

Arcane
Now it sounds like proper music rather than using broken dishwashers as cd players.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom