Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Trash - edgy post-apocalyptic isometric action-RPG - now available on Early Access

Gradenmayer

Learned
Played the demo. Looks good. Action is decent, but not a lot of rpg happening. You can kill any NPC tho.
Release date is August 5th.

Dexter

Arcane
A Pixel ARPG taking place in a Post-Menstrual world, at least that's how I'd like to interpret whatever "The (Great?) Bleeding" is, that apparently happened centuries ago and left blood and meat clumps everywhere. Dialogue seems funny enuff and premise is interesting, if a bit bizarre. You apparently grew up in a "UNIVERSAL SOCIETY", which sounds like some sort of VR world protected by robots that seem to now rule the world and treat it like a habitat. They tell you to fuck off because you are impure and "unfit" to live there anymore, to never come back and to not reproduce. Art is a bit Tumblr-y, but you can generally be an unfeeling psychopath to whoever and whatever you meet in amusing ways. You have Melee (X) on the controller and Ranged attacks (aiming with the Stick or Mouse) and some abilities like Stealth and Puke. You gain Health by eating pieces of Meat from meat clumps lying everywhere around the world or extracted from defeated enemies. You can steal from NPCs or just club them to death. I recommend a (blunt) melee build for the Demo, since you'll likely use it most often and Ammo is a bit restricted in the three areas you're gonna visit (one of which is a settlement) and it's also satisfying to bash enemies over the head out of Stealth. Or just skill up after the start of the game once you've got your bearings and what you need. There's also various other Skills with limited use, like "Animalism" that allows you to tame blobs of flesh and you can either Deconstruct them in your inventory or sell them, "High Tech" that allows you to dismantle Tech components in the environment. "Cybertech" and "Occultism" seem useless so far, since the unlockable abilities are disabled in the Demo. "Artistry" is supposed to give you more dialogue Options etc. Fun and interesting enough, but I'm not sure if it'd keep being interesting for the length of an entire game.

Bunch of Screens:
20210617215113_1y4j2p.jpg
20210617215121_16skak.jpg
20210617215127_1l5k3h.jpg
20210617215133_1tek3u.jpg
20210617215139_1brjlx.jpg
20210617215258_1awjgf.jpg
20210617215444_10zkwh.jpg
20210617215555_1m3j44.jpg
20210617215652_1uqkfk.jpg
20210617220041_1r8k62.jpg
20210617220135_1thkxt.jpg
20210617220727_1q7jke.jpg
20210617221539_16kji7.jpg
20210617221719_1v5jl0.jpg
20210617222014_1fgj4l.jpg
20210617222446_149jb3.jpg
20210617225038_14pkqt.jpg
20210617225444_194kzs.jpg
20210617230256_14wj3z.jpg
20210617230521_1aqjrl.jpg
20210617232650_1ypjxi.jpg
20210617233244_1e1km2.jpg
20210617233809_1vqk56.jpg
20210617235210_1lej14.jpg
20210618001020_145k3y.jpg

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I also played the demo, it is fun although I didn't enjoy the real time combat with wonky controls. I would rather it had turn based combat or some hybrid like Mechajammer

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Tried out the demo, good shit. I think the strong appeal for me lies in the alien setting itself which is why I'm probably on the other side of ArchAngel with this one - it's simple and straightforward combat that, to quote a genius of our generation, JUST WORKS even if it won't lead to community having debates about the system. I did play with WASD movement + mouse targeting, though. Using mouse for both would be somewhat of a problem if you get jumped by more than one enemy which will happen as freely available stealth won't always be enough to save your skin. I goofed up my character build by going for Occultism, but one point in rifles carried me through. Makes me wonder how pronounced non-combat stuff will be in the full game when you look at skill listing.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hope the characters like robot who wants to be human so he put flesh on his face is more or less what we get from the full game and not the exception. That was funny.

Also the naked old man. You can burn the beef jerky booty to your memory too as if it's traumatized you lol

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/941460/view/3004445407067684694

Demo Updates and Feedback
Hey.

The feedback so far on the playable demo has been incredible. Thank you very much for spending some time with Death Trash and telling us about it.

Since launching the demo we have been trying our best to fix the most pressing issues.

Patch 2021-06-17

- added German localization
- fixed a few crashes
- fixed "not available in demo" UI from implant merchant persisting
- fixed a few typos
- fixed exploit of hiding behind Fleshkraken to kill it

Patch 2021-06-18

- fixed some crashes
- minor update to visuals of humanoid enemies
- made invulnerability frames on roll more generous on normal and relaxed difficulty
- fixed some typos
- set default graphics API on Linux to Vulkan (fixes stealth visuals)

Feedback

We'll continue listening to your feedback and bug reports through the in-game tool (F1) and the forum.

Of course we'll also be reading some comments about items, systems, balancing etc. that are not working out as good yet. It's very helpful to get feedback on that.

At this point I would also like to remind you that the demo is really a fraction of the final game, and it's still in development. This is pre Early Access.
Elements like wandering encounters on the world map, for example, mentioned a few times, will be in the Early Access version. They're just not there yet in the demo because we wanted it to be smaller and focused.

The game will continue to grow and improve.

Thank you for helping on this with your feedback.

Some Issues and solutions

Ranged combat when using a trackpad on a laptop

- Switch the Mouse Combat Input Mode in the User Settings to anything else then Automatic.

Can't play on Apple M1 MacBooks!

- 1. Go to Applications folder, 2. Right click the app you want to force to use Rosetta, 3. Click Get Info, 4. In the general Category there's a tickbox "Open using Rosetta"
(If the app is not in the Applications folder, it might be here: Application Support > Steam > steamapps > common > Death Trash Demo)
open ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Death Trash Demo

Additional technical issues

- Controller bindings on Linux and Mac can be wrong
- Sometimes you roll into places and can't walk out of there. You should be able to roll out there again. We're aware of the problem.
- Malwarebytes might flag the application, but you can whitelist it: https://steamcommunity.com/app/941460/discussions/0/3069747601654183526/

Last edited:

Rafidur

Learned
The combat is complete ass.

I killed the kraken - doesn't seem to have any consequences so far? Character just said "It had to be done."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-06-21-death-trash-is-a-gristly-gorgeous-and-subtly-funny-rpg

Steam Next Fest: Death Trash is a gristly, gorgeous, and subtly funny RPG
Pal gore.

Death Trash is a silly name, let's get that out of the way. It's a tiny bit Hoxton marketing agency for me, a bit Punk IPA. But do not let that put you off! Death Trash is a looker, in that very vogue, twisted pixel arty kind of way, but it's more than its good looks, and another highlight from a very indie-friendly E3 - and Steam's ongoing Next Fest.

In fact it's actually a very nicely pitched RPG, a Fallout built within indie budget confines. Character creation is flexible - a mix of ages, races, body types and some neat outfits including a cape, love a good cape. You have a set of core abilities - hardiness, strength, finesse, occultism, cybertech, and empathy - governing what you're capable of doing. Most of those are familiar enough, empathy gatekeeping certain dialogue options for instance, cybertech what types of gear you can equip, but occultism is obviously the most curious, letting you summon little living globs of flesh to fight by your side.

It's hard to read too much into how those skills will open the game up, seeing as the demo, part of that Steam Next Fest going on now, is on the short side at around an hour and a half, and running from the very start of the game. But the potential is there. Already, from the off, certain avenues were closed off or at least narrower, thanks to how I built my character towards occultism - obviously - and ranged attacks, neglecting empathy (who needs that in the post-apocalypse?) and lockpicking (or that?). And already I love this, a little opportunity to replay, to circle back, have another conversation again.

The setup is, broadly, that someone made a load of robots to "look after" us humans, and that society's subsequently been bundled underground and wrapped in cotton wool, anyone who's deemed by the robo-protectors to be trouble - the sick, or neurodivergent, or criminal - gets booted out into the overworld to fend for themselves. Below ground things are stale and rectangular, grey, sheet metal; on the surface it's a mess. It's a scrappy, belching wasteland for the most part. It's also covered in, er, "meat". You have some kind of medical affliction and are, therefore, bound for the overworld only.

The meat is what lingers, as you might expect. Death Trash is about flesh, as far as I can tell, which is a fun thing to be about. It's playful, in that way. Soon after your emergence you meet a giant flesh-squid that seems to have prolapsed out of a wall, that can only communicate with you and only then with the odd warbled word, "FRIEND" - and so you get one of your first quests, which is to find a friend for the flesh kraken. All around the ground are little nuggets of meat, some that you can tame, with a high enough animalism skill to beat the skill check (I did have this - animal taming is a useful apocalypse skill!), although once tamed all you can do with them is pop them into chunks of meat, to be eaten to restore health. The meat theme goes on: all the townfolk are obsessed with eating it, weirdly; it's growing out of everything, this pink goo, and nobody knows why or is even that bothered by it at this point; there's an old sentinel that's part meat, and actually a bit bored of the robot life now. Some machinery needs a bit of your "bio-lubricant" to operate, which is shorthand for vomit.

jpg
jpg
jpg
jpg

Death Trash does the haunting, cosmic horror post-apocalypse stuff very well - but it also does comedy, a secret but crucial weapon of any great RPG. Combat is almost Bethesda-like, in the broadness of how you can approach it.

Odd. Gross. Great. Death Trash is funny, and that's its big thing, actually, over the pixel art which is gorgeous but rapidly becoming quite common now (no bad thing), and even the RPG side of things, which is still shaping up nicely. It has decent enough combat, but the demo's too early in the game to really give you a sense for it. The impression I get is of a game that's systems will open up wildly, between cybernetics, weapons, weird occult stuff and the smattering of environmental hazards that I've already been blown up by. But a bit of humour, a bit of oddness, a bit of meat on the bone. That's what stuck for me. This game's a treat, if you've got the stomach for it.

orcinator

Liturgist
Yeah it's completely banal gameplay wise, not just the combat since the quests they chose to showcase followed the boring "go here fetch this, come back, go there, come back" formula. Don't know how hitting the same two humans in turn based mode would change anything besides making everything take longer. Cruelty Squad makes it obsolete either way.

Speaking of everything taking longer, devs who put progress bars into games where you are never pressed for time should be shot.

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Death Trash was better than I expected, but my expectations were really low to begin with. I might get it when it's on sale, depending on whether the rest of the game can hold up. As mentioned by other posters already, it needs more than just fetch quests to make it interesting since character builds are limited.

I really like the ambient tracks though. Very gloomy and industrial.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Refufe to dumb down his game no matter how much the casuals cry about it? I like this man already!

:excellent:

No minimap please. Let the players use their brain cell for once.:incline:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/941460/view/2980802142088604056

Demo is here to stay
Demo is permanent now. Progress from current save games will not carry over.

Happy to announce that the Demo on Steam is permanent now.

Progress from current save games will not carry over (to prevent bugs), but after Early Access release you can start in the demo and then continue in the Early Access version.

Please use the demo to check out the game.

f01030663238252306a65fd7e75b983c11bda646.jpg

Early Access Infos

This is all the info you need:

August 5th -> Early Access here on Steam.
One third of final game. Unfinished.

Buy if:
1. You're happy with demo, want a few more hours of that.
2. You want to support us, including ongoing feedback.

Otherwise, just wait for the final version that is coming in 2022 or whenever it's done.

You can use the demo to check if it runs on your computer. The demo version will be updated alongside the Early Access version and will have the same technological base, minus the extra content.

Why we do Early Access...

We have a strong grasp on the world of Death Trash and its personality. Don't need additional ideas there.

But gameplay needs a lot of feedback still. Genre is fixed, but game feel, usability, variety, progression etc. will improve a lot by this process.

Consider supporting us through Early Access already, but decide on your own if you like playing unfinished games or not.

b38963875b345b0e8986d94ac04c8e481a7da9ef.gif

Latest patch notes of the demo

Patch 2021-06-25

- allow melee attack cancelling by rolling
- added Small Guns skill
- improved controls and game feel when playing as [REDACTED]
- fixed puke sometimes dropping on other side of character
- fixed ability cooldown not getting saved
- fixed a quest issue with Mortus
- fixed readable item view not being affect by dynamic language changes
- make keybinding in tutorials show text if no image of key found
- fixed a random crash
- fixed a few small memory leaks
- added user option to hide tutorials
- added camera tab to user options and (very WIP) hard-locked on character camera setting

Patch 2021-06-26

- added Quick Load entry to pause menu
- added minus buttons to stats level up
- fixed a memory leak
- mini changes to area map
- fixed Skill assignment issue from last patch

Patch 2021-06-28

- remember previously selected dialogue choice
- fixed warning display for grenades
- added cooldown for throwing items
- fixed a random crash
- fixed issue with end demo screen
- additional small fixes and improvements

Wishlist Death Trash!

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/941460/view/2980802142113870349

Demo Updates 2021-06-25 to 2021-07-05
Hey.

We're focusing on the upcoming Early Access version now, but since the demo represents the start of that version we're also continuing to update the demo with the latest changes.
Thanks so much for all your feedback so far.

Latest patch notes of the demo

Patch 2021-06-25

- allow melee attack cancelling by rolling
- added Small Guns skill
- improved controls and game feel when playing as [REDACTED]
- fixed puke sometimes dropping on other side of character
- fixed ability cooldown not getting saved
- fixed a quest issue with Mortus
- fixed readable item view not being affect by dynamic language changes
- make keybinding in tutorials show text if no image of key found
- fixed a random crash
- fixed a few small memory leaks
- added user option to hide tutorials
- added camera tab to user options and (very WIP) hard-locked on character camera setting

Patch 2021-06-26

- added Quick Load entry to pause menu
- added minus buttons to stats level up
- fixed a memory leak
- mini changes to area map
- fixed Skill assignment issue from last patch

Patch 2021-06-28

- remember previously selected dialogue choice
- fixed warning display for grenades
- added cooldown for throwing items
- fixed a random crash
- fixed issue with end demo screen

From here on patches will be aligned again with the beta builds for the Early Access version and thus have specific version numbers.

- added user option for rolling towards mouse cursor
- small updates to quest UI
- fixed issues with kill zones and saving and loading
- prevent assignment of mouse buttons to some user actions
- fixed some quest issues in co-op
- fixed stamina bar position in co-op

- added fast travel speed toggle for world map
- small visual update to world map
- level design fix to tutorial hub, making exit door more obvious
- updated melee attack durations for consecutive attacks
- show quest tasks with newest tasks first

Wishlist Death Trash!

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/941460/view/2976302347240184622

Hello, everyone!

The Death Trash Early Access release is happening tomorrow and we want to give a you few infos beforehand.

Release time

Exact moment of release should be August 5th, 5 pm CET | 11 am EST | 8 am PDT.

Price

20 $ | 20 € | + regional prices
There will be a 10% launch discount for one week.

a204ef5d560b3477be7792042d05e78778fdd739.png

About the Early Access version

Here's a summary of what to expect from the Early Access version and what to expect at
a later point:

What to expect from the first Early Access version:
- 5+ hours of the story campaign and side locations, with some of the main quests still work in progress
- medium replay value
- all gameplay systems
- more reliance on combat than non-combat
- mouse / keyboard plus controller support
- user config settings, rebindable keys
- Windows, Linux and MacOS support
- local co-op technically working
- probably some bugs

What to expect from the final release version:
- 20+ hours handcrafted story campaign
- increased replay value
- improved non-combat gameplay
- improved local co-op design
- more languages

What to expect from the post 1.0 version:
- updates concerning bug fixes and improving user experience

Feature ideas we're aware of and that might happen, but not 100% sure:
- some kind of modding support, including a level editor

Feature ideas we're aware of but probably won't happen due to our budget limitations:
- online co-op

b38963875b345b0e8986d94ac04c8e481a7da9ef.gif

Demo

The demo will still be available after release. It's a smaller button now, on the panel to the right of the store page.

After the Early Access release it's possible to try out the demo, buy the game, and then continue your savegame in the full version. Demo savegames that were begun before the Early Access release can NOT be imported / continued.

If you want to help us minimize support issues in the first days of the Early Access, please use the demo to see if the game runs good enough and as expected on your system.

a832ea14324592f041929c4fbee2f9ab1f3b0f35.gif

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
*looks at the art*

This is stunning. How have I not heart of this?

*looks at the writing*

...oh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom