Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

TumblingTorin

Educated
"certain things [from the tabletop system] don't translate well to the video game"

More like certain things don't translate well to the type of game they want to make.
We seen that a mostly faithful adaptation of 5e is possible already. Seems to me like the reskinning of the D:OS engine is not doing them any favors. The engine probably need a large overhaul so it can be suited for a faithful D&D adaptation, and the people in the studio need to be creative enough to come up with proper solutions.

I wonder what's their solution to making Counterspell? It's a pretty important spell and wizards get that at level 5.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
"certain things [from the tabletop system] don't translate well to the video game"

More like certain things don't translate well to the type of game they want to make.
We seen that a mostly faithful adaptation of 5e is possible already. Seems to me like the reskinning of the D:OS engine is not doing them any favors. The engine probably need a large overhaul so it can be suited for a faithful D&D adaptation, and the people in the studio need to be creative enough to come up with proper solutions.

I wonder what's their solution to making Counterspell? It's a pretty important spell and wizards get that at level 5.

Even Owlcat decided that Counterspell was a bridge too far (it’s a core Arcanist ability that’s missing in Wrath).

1373_200w.jpg

Harthwain

Magister

Even Owlcat decided that Counterspell was a bridge too far (it’s a core Arcanist ability that’s missing in Wrath).

1373_200w.jpg
At this point they are either being lazy or lack imagination. Solasta did Counterspell right. Owlcat could simply pause the game (when played in the RTwP mode) as spell is being cast, so you can cast your Counterspell.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I wonder how the game's engine handles flight or even it even supports it in the first place. I don't remember if there's a way to get a Fly scroll in the current version of the game.
In DOS2 (I believe BG3 runs on the same engine) there was a flight spell, but that was just a really big jump skills rather than something that made you airborne on the battlefield. You did hover over ground effects, but you could still be attacked in melee combat.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I wonder how the game's engine handles flight or even it even supports it in the first place. I don't remember if there's a way to get a Fly scroll in the current version of the game.
In DOS2 (I believe BG3 runs on the same engine) there was a flight spell, but that was just a really big jump skills rather than something that made you airborne on the battlefield. You did hover over ground effects, but you could still be attacked in melee combat.
In BG3 "flying" just means hovering slightly above the ground, ignoring terrain effects, and being able to jump more. You can check it out in the encounter against the harpies, it's so underwhelming it makes you wonder why the fuck they put it in the game to begin with.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

1373_200w.jpg
Solasta have that shit and it was most annoying garbage in the whole game. Counterspell is shit idea and people that like it should kill themself.

Mortmal

Arcane

1373_200w.jpg
At this point they are either being lazy or lack imagination. Solasta did Counterspell right. Owlcat could simply pause the game (when played in the RTwP mode) as spell is being cast, so you can cast your Counterspell.
In BG3 yes no reason counterspell is not introduced, we could just receive a notification like in solasta, same for legendary actions, same for everything... In owlcat pathfinder it's not that simple, i say it again even turn based mode is not real turn based design , crpg pathfinder and rtwp games are a lot more closer to an action rpg or an arcade game , faster with many many trash encounters you instagib. It's designed for rtwp ,a popup to cast counterspell would break the flow of action too much, it would be a pain and turn the game unplayable.

Desiderius

Patron
You’re forgetting the wP. Wonder if they called it RTwAP people could figure out how to play it.

PF TB is so much better than Deadfire TB because Owlcat so faithfully adapted the PnP ruleset. You’re just too retarded to find the auto pause menu so you think you have to use twitch skills to time the space bar or some shit.

Desiderius

Patron
Desiderius you will defend pathfinder to death, i can respect that, but no matter what, good turn based will always be superior to good rtwp. Our disagreement can only end with a duel and the death of one of us !

You’re already dead dumbass. I’m the one who told Owlcat they were fucking up by leaving out Counterspell in the first place.

Are all you phaggots incapable of thinking of any category other than shill because that’s the only way you think? I really don’t get it.

I want good games. You get there by figuring out what’s good and bad about each prior game and building on that.

Mortmal

Arcane
You’re forgetting the wP. Wonder if they called it RTwAP people could figure out how to play it.

PF TB is so much better than Deadfire TB because Owlcat so faithfully adapted the PnP ruleset. You’re just too retarded to find the auto pause menu so you think you have to use twitch skills to time the space bar or some shit.
Twitch skills ? Why ? A party of melee with inquisitor perks , rangers with their pets, or mass summon, select on and go on guys , roll over everything, pets go brrrrr.No need of uber skills anyone can do it . The tactical part is thinking this before the combat start , while in turn based game like solasta the most important tactical choices are during the encounter.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I mean this is a Larian thread, does anyone really expect a good game of any kind from them?

I wouldn't say I expect a good game, it's more like a 50/50 toss, the result of which I'm awaiting with curiosity - because at the end of the day, they have made good games in the past, as well as clunkers.

Desiderius

Patron

Twitch skills ? Why ? A party of melee with inquisitor perks , rangers with their pets, or mass summon, select on and go on guys , roll over everything, pets go brrrrr.No need of uber skills anyone can do it . The tactical part is thinking this before the combat start , while in turn based game like solasta the most important tactical choices are during the encounter.

There’s like three people in the world who can play Unfair like that (I’m not one of them) and Wrath is jacking up Unfair three more notches. These games play best as Tinman (minimal reloads) and if you’re doing that you’ve got to put more thought into it.

But yeah that’s my point configuring and using the autopause is a skill in its own right as is party composition but having some breaks in combat is a natural part of these games which is why TB is as popular as it is.

One of the most appealing ways to use that is Counterspelling. Blue’s always been my favorite color so biased.

Mortmal

Arcane

There’s like three people in the world who can play Unfair like that (I’m not one of them) and Wrath is jacking up Unfair three more notches. These games play best as Tinman (minimal reloads) and if you’re doing that you’ve got to put more thought into it.

But yeah that’s my point configuring and using the autopause is a skill in its own right as is party composition but having some breaks in combat is a natural part of these games which is why TB is as popular as it is.

One of the most appealing ways to use that is Counterspelling. Blue’s always been my favorite color so biased.

You are talking about faithfully adapting pnp ruleset then you only play unfair, you know this has nothing in common at all with pen and paper anymore. I am not intending to play that like an esport, although dont underestimate my autism i could very well succeed at that. But there we are speaking of completely different type of games.

Desiderius

Patron
Computers are a tool. In this case a tool to enhance the PnP experience. One of the tools it offers is the capacity to adjust the play experience to the player’s level of mastery to keep things interesting, which is something every good DM does but also knows is a total pain in the ass and would be glad to have some help with.

In a well-designed cRPG he does. The particular numerical values are the least essential and most arbitrary part of any ruleset. Altering them is a change in degree at most not kind.

Desiderius

Patron
Note:

Level-scaling adjusts to character level = bad

Difficulty settings adjusts to player mastery level = good

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom