Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
or mass summon, select on and go on guys , roll over everything, pets go brrrrr.No need of uber skills anyone can do it . The tactical part is thinking this before the combat start , while in turn based game like solasta the most important tactical choices are during the encounter.

That depends on the difficulty. Your summons would't be able to hit powerful enemies on hashes immunities and some summons casts spells which can be helpful or detrimental, like hitting party members with lightning bolt. In fact, choosing the "best" summon for a encounter is not something trivial. For example, soul eaters dishes way less damage than grave knights however, they damage enemy WIS, which is amazing vs divine casters,

And honestly, I prefer way more having the ability to summon a army of mobs than "single summon limit" like DOS1/2. In fact, the UNIQUE critique towards the summoning of kingmaker which I can make is that enemies rarely use "banishment"/"dismissal". On BG2, with some mods, enemies actually use "Death Spell" if the PC summoned a lot of creatures and has a hard cap of 5 summoned creatures.

The unique game with single summon limit with DECENT necromancy is DDO. Because despite Pale Masters being trash as "minionmancers", as offensive dark magicians are great. Undead templates, OHK spells, negative energy bust, a 4th tier spell which damages living and heals undeads(yourself included), necrotic ray which dishes ridiculous amount of damage and a negative level upon the target and your skeleton pet scales with your wizard level and progress visually too. You also can reanimate hirelings and other players which gives undead template to then.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
or mass summon, select on and go on guys , roll over everything, pets go brrrrr.No need of uber skills anyone can do it . The tactical part is thinking this before the combat start , while in turn based game like solasta the most important tactical choices are during the encounter.

That depends on the difficulty. Your summons would't be able to hit powerful enemies on hashes immunities and some summons casts spells which can be helpful or detrimental, like hitting party members with lightning bolt. In fact, choosing the "best" summon for a encounter is not something trivial. For example, soul eaters dishes way less damage than grave knights however, they damage enemy WIS, which is amazing vs divine casters,

And honestly, I prefer way more having the ability to summon a army of mobs than "single summon limit" like DOS1/2. In fact, the UNIQUE critique towards the summoning of kingmaker which I can make is that enemies rarely use "banishment"/"dismissal". On BG2, with some mods, enemies actually use "Death Spell" if the PC summoned a lot of creatures and has a hard cap of 5 summoned creatures.

The unique game with single summon limit with DECENT necromancy is DDO. Because despite Pale Masters being trash as "minionmancers", as offensive dark magicians are great. Undead templates, OHK spells, negative energy bust, a 4th tier spell which damages living and heals undeads(yourself included), necrotic ray which dishes ridiculous amount of damage and a negative level upon the target and your skeleton pet scales with your wizard level and progress visually too. You also can reanimate hirelings and other players which gives undead template to then.

No indeed they wont do good vs high end boss , kingmaker summons are a fantastic buffer and good against trash mobs, theres plenty enough to justify using them all the time . They keep them occupied while your ranged slayer or ranger with foe fey, equiped with absurdly good gear , down them.
Anyway in BG3 no necromancy at all , not that it was good in 5e, but still a letdown .Sad that most of the budget goes in the visuals, voice acting an narrative and none in the mechanics . There we dont even have everything in the base book while they do have the official license.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Anyway in BG3 no necromancy at all , not that it was good in 5e, but still a letdown .Sad that most of the budget goes in the visuals, voice acting an narrative and none in the mechanics

Necromancy is probably the worst wizard specialization on 5E however, there are good content if you look to third party. Grimlore Entertainment has a adaptation of pale master into 5e. Pale Master was a prestige class on 3.5E and now a "core class" since 5E lacks prestige classes. If I din't had a bias towards high lethality and necromacy, I would probably like 5E far more... But I will not gonna lie. If someone mods this pale master to any 5E game, BG3 or Solasta, I will crank up a lot of time on this games. As I've played NWN2 campaign + MoTB multiple times as a wizard/pale master/red wizard of thay thanks to spell fixes mod which makes the game extremely better.

But I agree with you. Too much money into visual, voice acting and to little in game mechanics. IMO Larian should hire Pierre from KoTC 1/2 and let everything "game" related to him, while Larian focus on everything related on visuals, voice acting, narrative and sound. Because lets be honest. Larian is the best in this aspects. And I am saying it as someone who doesn't like any Larian game except Divine Divinity.

Just imagine playing KoTC2 with BG3 AAA production values.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If I din't had a bias towards high lethality and necromacy, I would probably like 5E far more...
We are playing a campaign atm in which I backstabbed our Moon Druid in her form to force her to get out of the way and she revenge-shot me in the back and almost one-shot me, so 5E has high lethality.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
We are playing a campaign atm in which I backstabbed our Moon Druid in her form to force her to get out of the way and she revenge-shot me in the back and almost one-shot me, so 5E has high lethality.

I tough that you banned moon druids. IMO, the damage took in one form should be carried to another form. That way, shapeshift will be shapeshift not shapeshift + insta healt to 100% hp. If you look into shapeshifters on fantasy, is common that a injury in a form is carried into another.

Anyway, high and Low lethality are relative. 5E is very high lethality compared to D&D 4E and very low lethality compared to GURPS. A game where the average damage of a .338 lapua magnum sniper rifle at a mile away is enough to OHK the average player with body armor multiple times. And there are no level on GURPS, only "points".

Are we really having this conversation again?

I will try to change the subject.

Anyone knows if BG3 will be easily moddable or not? In a scale of 0 to 10, where 0 is a stadia game(absolute no modding) and 10 is NWN2 where you can code your own stuff, how much moddable BG3 will gonna be?

Efe

Erudite
If its same capability as divinity engine you can pretty much recreate everything

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I tough that you banned moon druids.
Yes, when I'm the DM, but I'm not. Or if the person really, really insists on playing one, I place a 1 minute cooldown on shapeshifts when you get out of them and make them an action instead of a bonus action.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Desiderius you will defend pathfinder to death, i can respect that, but no matter what, good turn based will always be superior to good rtwp. Our disagreement can only end with a duel and the death of one of us !
Butthurt old man,tb is inferior in any aspect to rtwp,except one.........old decrepit fools can play it and think themself smart. :smug: Learn to spacebar,fag !

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
If I din't had a bias towards high lethality and necromacy, I would probably like 5E far more...
No,you are running a group of retards.

PS:You should have rode her in to battle!

Sharpedge

Prophet
Are we really having this conversation again?
This thread can be summarized as the following talking points:
• Victor ranting about imaginary HP Bloat.
• Victor ranting about casters, necromancers in particular.
• Victor ranting about caster nerfs.
• Victor ranting about 5e being inferior to 2e.
• Discussions regarding the control scheme.
• Ontopoly doing the standard Ontoporant.
• "Swen" baiting Ontopoly and Victor.
• Discussions about it being D:OS 3.
• Discussions regarding the lack of a day and night cycle.
• Discussions regarding surfaces.
• Discussions regarding rule changes.
• Discussions regarding the discussions looping in circles.

Did I miss anything?

*Apparently I did.
Lacrymas says something controversial and the thread gets split.
• RTwP vs TB.
Seems like its that time again.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Seems like its that time again.

Wrong. I tried to change the subject. The "lethality" is a subjective aspect of a RPG and depends on previous experience, previous ruleset and previous DM. Someone used to play Dark Sun on 2E and create multiple characters because his character will gonna die in the first sessions quickly will see 5E as a very low lethality game. And someone used to 4E or modern computer video games, will probably see 5E as a high lethality game.

I only mentioned it as part of a larger point. Was never my intent to bring the lethality discussion back. That said, I will try to change the subject again and bring the conversation to our experiences playing the game. Which class and sublcass did you guys picked on your first early access run?

I picked Warlock by only one reason.
SgVY9nD.png

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Eldritch_blast

I really wanted to see in a game with verticality, how EB + Repealing Blast and other invocations would work. It would be cool and different than my previous experiences with warlocks on CRPG's. On NWN2 + Warlock reworked and on DDO as a Carceri Storm frost Warlock. Even suggested Solasta devs to put that cantrip + repealing blast in Solasta. The subclass which I chose was the Fiend. But I honestly believe that fire is overrated and wanted to play as fathomless warlock. Or lurker of the deep. I honestly liked the begining of BG3, but found the game too tedious once battles of over an hour occurred. But was interesting to use EB in a different way than other CRPG's. I still prefer EB as a SLA instead of a cantrip, but is just matter of preference.

Wizard, I plan to play in future, only after mods come to the game modifying how spells work to be more akin to older editions. My favorite spell specializations(alt/con/nec) aren't in the game either. I also really wish that someone will mod pale master into the game.

And that Larian will homebrew psionics into the game.

So, which class did you guys played first and why?

Not to cry because "senpai Larian is not noticing me" (hell, I'm probably better without any direct interaction with them that could end up with someone being abused with a whip-chain), but let me point how weird it feels being a freeloader on their Discord server and observing that Larian employees seem to come to life and write in their own chat ONLY when it comes to sucking off "famous" Youtubers covering their games, mostly with memes about shirtless Halsin being super-hot or other vague forms of simping, then back to being completely silent for DAYS in-between.

ifLBnmd.jpg

E5KTTru.jpg

Shrimp

Arbiter
It feels like I'm reading a transcript of idle chat during a cultist meeting. It's the same feeling I get when I read threads on their own forums.
The BG3/DnD self-insert avatars certainly aren't helping either - I have a very strong suspicion these are the same people that like nu-Bioware games such as Dragon Age and Mass Effect solely because it lets them fantasy-fuck NPCs

Larianshill

Arbiter
I wanted to vomit a little when I've had Felicia Day in my recomendations, let's playing early access of BG3. That, however, was instantly mitigated by finding out that she also played Disco Elysium on stream, and immediately stopped playing moments after meeting Rene and hearing his opinions about female police officers.

Mortmal

Arcane
Not to cry because "senpai Larian is not noticing me" (hell, I'm probably better without any direct interaction with them that could end up with someone being abused with a whip-chain), but let me point how weird it feels being a freeloader on their Discord server and observing that Larian employees seem to come to life and write in their own chat ONLY when it comes to sucking off "famous" Youtubers covering their games, mostly with memes about shirtless Halsin being super-hot or other vague forms of simping, then back to being completely silent for DAYS in-between.

ifLBnmd.jpg

E5KTTru.jpg

They are the new bioware , dragon age 2 meme was about varric hairchest. Have a look at BG3 reddit, its bioware forum all over again . Maybe worse hardly discussing the game mechanics anymore, it's all about fan art.

It feels like I'm reading a transcript of idle chat during a cultist meeting. It's the same feeling I get when I read threads on their own forums.
The BG3/DnD self-insert avatars certainly aren't helping either - I have a very strong suspicion these are the same people that like nu-Bioware games such as Dragon Age and Mass Effect solely because it lets them fantasy-fuck NPCs
Well, if your browse it from time to time you probably noticed that their forum is filled with girls/women that think Dragon Age was the apex of RPG development.

I wanted to vomit a little when I've had Felicia Day in my recomendations, let's playing early access of BG3. That, however, was instantly mitigated by finding out that she also played Disco Elysium on stream, and immediately stopped playing moments after meeting Rene and hearing his opinions about female police officers.
I also tried to watch it a bit when someone posted in the official forum claiming that "her playthrough was great" (spoiler: it really wasn't).

It didn't make for a good show, really.
She was too easily distracted, often barely paying attention to dialogues and/or talking over them, she picked her answers on a whim without reading all the options available and she was downright terrible at understanding how skills/spells worked and how to deal with combat in genre.
Also, she was a bit too touchy (to put it mildly) and quick to take offense on anything companions and other NPCs had to say to her, even if it was some passing quip or an introductory joke before moving to some other topic. Like, for the next two entire sentences of that character she was still talking over them and bitching about how rude/unlikable/smug they were.

That said, it was somewhat amusing seeing her occasionally raging at the UI/controls because it made hilarious how evidently bad some of them are even from a "casual" standpoint.

EDIT - For context, examples of posts I made then:

I ACTUALLY ended up watching this yesterday from bed.

One of the first things she complained about (even if admittedly just briefly as a passing comment) was how annoying the auto-following companions getting in her way were at times.
The second moment she loudly voiced her disappointment was when she met Lae'zel and learned that she could have only three companions with her.

And she's basically the physical manifestation of the abstract "average casual player".
It's amusing then that we have people on this very forum condescendingly implying "that these are improvements only hardcore forum dwellers care about".

During today’s episode of “Felicia Day plays BG3”:

- Felicia wonders why no one moved except her character while entering stealth

-immediately after she wonders if she can’t put the entire party in stealth

- someone in chat tells her “You can, but you have to put each one in stealth individually”

- her reaction is “That’s very dumb. They need to fix that”.

Man, this silent majority of casual players surely seem to love Larian’a control scheme, uh?

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
Desiderius you will defend pathfinder to death, i can respect that, but no matter what, good turn based will always be superior to good rtwp. Our disagreement can only end with a duel and the death of one of us !
Butthurt old man,tb is inferior in any aspect to rtwp,except one.........old decrepit fools can play it and think themself smart. :smug: Learn to spacebar,fag !
fanta = cheat engine + story mode
Nigga, if there is one user whose opinion about tb and rtwp can be safely ignored - it's you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom