Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl - coming September 5th

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
One of the most awesome things in the original trilogy was using the rangefinder on the PSO-1 scope on the SVD to pull off accurate shots at range.

Lots of games model rangefinders on scopes, but very few actually have it functional.

Yea, I find scopes are largely pointless in most shooting games, especially with an accurate crosshair.
Removing that crosshair suddenly makes these things far more valuable over spray&pray but again, many players find this intolerable - I think it sounds cool for a game going for immersion.

RoSoDude

Arcane
If you tried out the Vintar BC (VSS Vintorez) in any of the three STALKER games and didn't decide to make it your primary weapon right there on the spot, I don't want anything to do with you.

RoSoDude

Arcane
lol how does anyone ever run out of ammo in vanilla. Even if you somehow do blow through your scavenged rounds, just buy more from a trader for a dime a dozen. Resource economy in all three STALKER games is a joke (CS the least so in my experience).

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol how does anyone ever run out of ammo in vanilla. Even if you somehow do blow through your scavenged rounds, just buy more from a trader for a dime a dozen. Resource economy in all three STALKER games is a joke (CS the least so in my experience).

IIRC the biggest issue with stacking 9x39mm ammo wasn't the rarity but the weight of the ammo, but weight was never that big a deal in any of the vanilla games anyway as the default allowance was quite generous.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Vintorez is underpowered for a sniper rifle. Better to go for one or two G36's in pristine condition when it's time to move through Monolith territory.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
the allure/charm of STALKER was the fact that it was rugged, untamed, it felt harsh, janky, wild, niche, it had well done communist style industrial architecture etc etc

judging from the trailer alone, the light in the game is off, like a murky honey like substance that fills everything, the faces of NPCs are bland, uninteresting, not regional with unrelatable smooth voices and the combat feels/ has a veneer of Call of Duty.

Beowulf

Arcane
the allure/charm of STALKER was the fact that it was rugged, untamed, it felt harsh, janky, wild, niche, it had well done communist style industrial architecture etc etc

judging from the trailer alone, the light in the game is off, like a murky honey like substance that fills everything, the faces of NPCs are bland, uninteresting, not regional with unrelatable smooth voices and the combat feels/ has a veneer of Call of Duty.

It's just a trailer for the masses. All combat issues can be alleviated with decent difficulty options, should the developers choose to enable those.

Drakortha

Liturgist
It's just a trailer for the masses. All combat issues can be alleviated with decent difficulty options, should the developers choose to enable those.

4dc.jpg

Beowulf

Arcane

4dc.jpg

I know that on codex every new release is shit, but pre-release games are only potential shits.

I'm cautiously pessimistic when it comes to any info available pre-release, and this type of trailers are basically worthless besides showcasing general atmosphere they want to use for their marketing, but the game might still turn decent, as was the case with e.g. Prey and Dishonored. Their "gameplay" trailers were also painting a pretty poor picture.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
one charming aspect of stalker is the inclusion of some very nerdish (for lack of a better word describing world.guns.ru visitors) firearms that didnt get much love IRL but had a noticeable impact on the game

e.g. LR300 and the Nikonov are pretty much irrelevant in any "realistic" evaluation of guns used for military purposes, but their actions are really neat on paper, and the games just wouldnt be the same without them

(or should i say, i would have never heard of these guns without the games, and i've grown very fond of them over the years, in a quirky kind of way)

any word about the guns included in this new game-product-thing?

the video shows what, MP5 and... uhm, UMP or what?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
one charming aspect of stalker is the inclusion of some very nerdish (for lack of a better word describing world.guns.ru visitors) firearms that didnt get much love IRL but had a noticeable impact on the game

e.g. LR300 and the Nikonov are pretty much irrelevant in any "realistic" evaluation of guns used for military purposes, but their actions are really neat on paper, and the games just wouldnt be the same without them

(or should i say, i would have never heard of these guns without the games, and i've grown very fond of them over the years, in a quirky kind of way)

any word about the guns included in this new game-product-thing?

the video shows what, MP5 and... uhm, UMP or what?

I didn't realize how important this aspect of the game is.
I don't know diddly shit about guns so all this stuff flies under the radar for me but seems really important to people who appreciate it.

ADL

Prophet
Even with the most aggressive shader and texture replacements, STALKER doesn't come anywhere close even with OpenXR. This is about as good as it can get and I'm not a fan of the Escape From Tarkov look.

Latelistener

Arcane
It's not like Reshade by itself make it look like Escape from Tarkov. If you don't like it you can tweak it.

And dafuq is OpenXR? The only thing I can find is OpenXRay, which isn't even a visual modification. At least it isn't the purpose of it.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
That Tarkov look is mostly caused by anomaly mods ripping Tarkov assets and applying reshades. The Anomaly community is rather obsessed with copying Tarkov for some reason.

The original mod creators have slightly better taste.

And dafuq is OpenXR? The only thing I can find is OpenXRay, which isn't even a visual modification. At least it isn't the purpose of it.

OpenXray is the engine that Anomaly and a lot of the newer COC offshoot mods run on. As well as improving various systems behind the scenes (and migrating the engine to 64 bit), it also adds a bunch of new graphical effects/settings.

Last edited:

Ghulgothas

Arcane
That un-reshaded Agressor clip looks painful to play. Nowhere in STALKER should grass be that green, and everything looks over-lighted and washed-out.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Physical release will be handled by Koch Media. https://www.kochmedia.com/en/2021/0...elease-of-s-t-a-l-k-e-r-2-heart-of-chernobyl/

KOCH MEDIA AND GSC GAME WORLD PARTNER UP FOR THE PHYSICAL RELEASE OF S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: HEART OF CHERNOBYL

Today, Koch Media, a leading global publishing partner, and GSC Game World, a Ukrainian video game developer, announced their physical publishing partnership for the upcoming release of the open-world first-person shooter S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chernobyl. The long awaited sequel to the popular S.T.A.L.K.E.R.- franchise will be available for Xbox Series X/S and PC on April 28th, 2022.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chernobyl is based on a fictional universe in an altered timeline set in Chernobyl. The unique blend of first-person shooter, horror and immersive simulation lets players loose into a huge open world in a post-apocalyptic setting. The first gameplay of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chernobyl premiered during Microsoft’s E3 2021 showcase and has since then received numerous “Best of the Show” awards from media throughout the globe.

Stephan Schmidt, Director of Global Partner Publishing at Koch Media adds: “After the great presentation at E3, we are more than thrilled to set the stage for a global physical market entry for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chernobyl. We already worked on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky and are looking forward to closely collaborate with GSC Game World again on all physical publishing matters to successfully release the next chapter of the award winning S.T.A.L.K.E.R franchise.”

Evgeniy Grygorovych, CEO of GSC Game World adds: “We are pleased to partner with Koch Media to bring physical editions of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chernobyl to players across the globe. We trust our game is now in capable hands. Together, we will offer several editions of the game to the players so everyone can find the best value for themselves.”

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. universe is based on three videogames as well as several hundred books, comics and numerous fan-fiction pieces. With over 15 Million copies sold worldwide, the franchise has been critically acclaimed and fans are eagerly waiting for its return with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chernobyl.

ADL

Prophet
I don't know what this means for performance but UE5 is basically a rewrite and this might be good. I'd imagine Epic is heavily consulting and working on this themselves given that this will be the flagship title that introduces UE5 if that release date is anywhere close to being true.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat had p. nasty DRMs in them, chances that STALKER 2 get Denuvo is 99.99%.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom