Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales Of ... series - Vesperia out on Steam

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
modern Ys games are better than most tales games anyway, but i still enjoy them nevertheless

Falksi

Arcane
Just finished Berseria. A bit repetitive & drawn out around the midway point, but overall a fucking quality JRPG.

Awesome banter, superb pacing, great vibe, proper cheap Japanese cheesy fun.

Yldriel

Literate
The archetypes and character beats were pretty good but the dialogues really could use a good culling, especially the animated banter where the joke keeps going like 5-6 lines after the punchline, with each character reacting / overexplaining the joke in turn.

Lincolnberry

Educated
Just finished Berseria. A bit repetitive & drawn out around the midway point, but overall a fucking quality JRPG.

I finished the game yesterday and had similar impressions - Berseria was my first Tales game and it's an easy recommend for me.

Solid plot, pretty good delivery, decent dialogue/writing, very strong characters, pretty good soundtrack (maybe loops being a bit too short would be my only critique).

Not sure I can handle more of the combat just yet as I feel a little worn down here after 60+ hours - but would be curious if you think it's worth jumping into Zestiria (which I understand is story-wise a sequel), or backtracking right to Vesperia.

Kaivokz

Arcane
but would be curious if you think it's worth jumping into Zestiria (which I understand is story-wise a sequel)
I haven't played Berseria but the story of Zestiria is pretty boring. I still enjoyed it, because the Tales games are like getting some cheeseburgers from McDonalds every year or two, but unless you enjoyed the story of Berseria so much that you would enjoy pretty much anything related to it, I wouldn't go looking for cool ideas expressed in that universe from Zestiria. If you're bored of the combat, I'd advise a palate cleanser in some other game before you jump in again. Vesperia is probably a superior game.

BTW if you have any bros, these games are pretty good multiplayer. Combat is less dull if you've got another human to strategize with and campy cliche stories are better enjoyed with company.

Falksi

Arcane

I finished the game yesterday and had similar impressions - Berseria was my first Tales game and it's an easy recommend for me.

Solid plot, pretty good delivery, decent dialogue/writing, very strong characters, pretty good soundtrack (maybe loops being a bit too short would be my only critique).

Not sure I can handle more of the combat just yet as I feel a little worn down here after 60+ hours - but would be curious if you think it's worth jumping into Zestiria (which I understand is story-wise a sequel), or backtracking right to Vesperia.

After about the 60 hour mark I just popped the combat on easy so I could breeze through it as quick as possible. I didn't find it bad or offputting, just a bit of button bashing nonsense really. Easy mode cut that nonsense down significantly. The last 5-10 side quest & end game boss battles are HP bloated, so it really helped there.

I'm just about to jump into Zestiria myself (prob start it in a week or two) so will let you know what I think mate. From what folk say there's a lot of moments which relate to Berseria, so I'd probably go with that first.

Personally I found Vesperia absolutely boring as hell. Berseria was miles better IMO

Reinhardt

Arcane
Zestiria was one of the worst Tales games for me, because characters are fucking BORING. Only Edna was ok.

Falksi

Arcane
Zestiria was one of the worst Tales games for me, because characters are fucking BORING. Only Edna was ok.

Just playing this through now, and I'm actually really enjoying it. You're right about Edna, she's the stand out one, but I think some of the others are fairly groovy too. The entire cast as a whole is definietly weaker than Berseria, but I'm still chuckling quite a lot to myself. I just think some of the comments are presented a little more sublimely, so might be missed.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Arise has been delayed to an unknown date: https://www.gematsu.com/2020/06/tales-of-arise-delayed-past-2020

As you may have already seen in media stories and on our social media channels, we have made the decision to delay the launch timing of Tales of Arise, the latest title in the Tales of series.

The goal for Tales of Arise is to provide a familiar but innovative gameplay experience to fans of the series, while pushing the technical envelope to deliver a high level of graphical quality to impress both long-time players and those who have never played a Tales of game. Development on the title has moved steadily forward in 2020 as we overcame challenges along the way.

While COVID-19 has affected some aspects of development, we’ve done our best to adapt to the situation and have implemented remote development capabilities for our team.

However, we will need more time to achieve the quality and provide the gorgeous experience we envision for our players, and therefore we decided to delay the launch timing for Tales of Arise.

A new launch window update will be provided once we have more details to share.

In the meantime, the determination of our development team has not weakened. It is always darkest before the dawn, as illustrated in the [new illustration image]. We hope you will join us as a bring a new Tales of adventure to light.

Feel free to download this image (JPG / PNG) and use it as a reminder for what’s to come for PC background or remote meeting.

Thank you for your patience and support for Tales of Arise and the Tales of series.

Regards,
Yusuke Tomizawa the producer of Tales of Arise

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Tales of Arise launches on September 10 for PC, PS5, PS4, Xbone and Xbox X

I've never played a Tales game before but I'm probably D1P this one, it looks gorgeous

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
untouchable girl
FF8td9T.gif

Ysaye

Arbiter
I'm looking at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGdJ4O_olBE

Why all new JRPG games have such a shitty, flashy, button-mashing combat :( This game (Tales of Arise) almost looks like something worth checking, but whenever I see combat footage I'm instantly turned off.

I have to say watching the footage it felt true to the battles of the original Tales of Phantasia - this is the lineage of these kinds of games to have somewhat button mashing combat:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Tales of Zestiria for me was just a continuation of the downwards spiral in terms of charachters and plot that Xillia started. Those three games (Xillia 1+2 + Zestiria) had some of the dumbest drama and least iikeable charachters the series has seen. I got annoyed multiple times in all of those games.

And considering that's coming from a guy that thinks Graces is underrated that's saying something.

Thankfully somebody at Namco got smacked after Zestiria and Berseria was a return to form, if not more.

Reinhardt

Arcane

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
100% of game 'media' and 85% of redditors hated Velvet.
I loved her, she's the best and only tolerable Tales main character ever.
I'm not a fan of this new MC.

ALWAYS GO AS EDGY AS FUCKIN POSSIBLE
IT'S SO SIMPLE

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom