Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guilty Gear Strive - ArcSys fighting game

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Datamining revealed potential cast of season 1 DLC: Jam, Jack-O, Chaos, That Man and Fatso with coffin.

Nathir

Liturgist
Played Zato and got placed into floor 6, then got to floor 10 during the weekend. It's a wierd game. The movement felt really clunky compared to +R. And no gatlings also feels bad. Moves have slow recovery. Even the basic punch just lingers in the air for a bit. But once you get used to it it's an alright game. Just, kinda easily figured out I feel. And there is no technical skill required. It feels kinda like DBFZ in that sense. Doing basic loops in +R is 100x more thrilling then whatever I can do here. I fear after like a month the game will get kinda stale.

Supers do a lot of damage. Raw super will easily do 40% dmg. So you have to repsect them at all times. Combos are short and can be really damaging. Stringing 4-6 moves, depending on character, can do 40% aswell. More if close to a wall. And it's not that difficult to do. Dust launcher into 2x D does 150 dmg on Zato. This was obviously made on purpose. Big damage+easy combos = bad players can win easier if they get a lucky hit.

It's hillarious how focused Strive is on new players. Not only by removing technical stuff from the game, and making combos short, damage higher and speed slower. But there is a mission where it tells you that moves change input directions when you switch sides. Literally for people who never played a FG before. There is an arrow at round start that points at your character and says "you" (lmao wtf?). The floors are designed so you can't join lower ones, and you quickly rank up after going on a win streak. Getting a counter hit results in a massive slowdown so you can't miss a follow up. When a player sticks on a wall, he just sits there for a few seconds etc...

Wall break is a really clunky mechanic as well. Not sure how I feel about it yet. Another thing which I noticed is that a lot of moves push the enemy really far back. Atleast speaking for Zato. They really do not want someone to keep the pressure up without spending resources. But then you have Leo, who just gets to play his Xrd left/right bullshit AND gets a command grab for no reason. And Axl gets to keep full screen normals. And Sol gets to chain 6P into 6P for some reason. Idk why. Leo and Axl are imo the strongest characters atm. We will see how the meta develops.

Zato is alright. Very different from previous games. Eddie has 2-3 uses per summon and a fast refill. And you can't really pin someone down with him. Everything he does is some kind of forward movement that covers a lot of space and pushes the opponent away. You can get small combos with him only, unless in the corner. So you basically use Eddie more as a regular special move to extend combos/pressure for a few hits, rather then to tag the enemy and put him into extended lockdown. Maybe I'm missing something though, haven't really hit the lab or watched any YT tech.

For now it's fun. But again, I thought DBFZ was fun at first. And then I couldn't stand the game after 2 months. We shall see how the game develops.

Nathir

Liturgist
no gatlings
There are less of them now, but "no" is quite an exaggeration.

True, my bad. I was thinking that it doesn't work like in the past. Not sure why I typed it like that.

The way it is now it goes P doesn't go into anything. K goes into D. And S goes into HS. And from what I could tell it's the same for all the cast.

Vincente

Arbiter
Everyone who I talk with say Sol and Ramlethal are playing Xrd while everyone else is playing Strive, is that true?

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron

Latro

Arcane
Played Zato and got placed into floor 6, then got to floor 10 during the weekend. It's a wierd game. The movement felt really clunky compared to +R. And no gatlings also feels bad. Moves have slow recovery. Even the basic punch just lingers in the air for a bit. But once you get used to it it's an alright game. Just, kinda easily figured out I feel. And there is no technical skill required. It feels kinda like DBFZ in that sense. Doing basic loops in +R is 100x more thrilling then whatever I can do here. I fear after like a month the game will get kinda stale.

Supers do a lot of damage. Raw super will easily do 40% dmg. So you have to repsect them at all times. Combos are short and can be really damaging. Stringing 4-6 moves, depending on character, can do 40% aswell. More if close to a wall. And it's not that difficult to do. Dust launcher into 2x D does 150 dmg on Zato. This was obviously made on purpose. Big damage+easy combos = bad players can win easier if they get a lucky hit.

It's hillarious how focused Strive is on new players. Not only by removing technical stuff from the game, and making combos short, damage higher and speed slower. But there is a mission where it tells you that moves change input directions when you switch sides. Literally for people who never played a FG before. There is an arrow at round start that points at your character and says "you" (lmao wtf?). The floors are designed so you can't join lower ones, and you quickly rank up after going on a win streak. Getting a counter hit results in a massive slowdown so you can't miss a follow up. When a player sticks on a wall, he just sits there for a few seconds etc...

Wall break is a really clunky mechanic as well. Not sure how I feel about it yet. Another thing which I noticed is that a lot of moves push the enemy really far back. Atleast speaking for Zato. They really do not want someone to keep the pressure up without spending resources. But then you have Leo, who just gets to play his Xrd left/right bullshit AND gets a command grab for no reason. And Axl gets to keep full screen normals. And Sol gets to chain 6P into 6P for some reason. Idk why. Leo and Axl are imo the strongest characters atm. We will see how the meta develops.

Zato is alright. Very different from previous games. Eddie has 2-3 uses per summon and a fast refill. And you can't really pin someone down with him. Everything he does is some kind of forward movement that covers a lot of space and pushes the opponent away. You can get small combos with him only, unless in the corner. So you basically use Eddie more as a regular special move to extend combos/pressure for a few hits, rather then to tag the enemy and put him into extended lockdown. Maybe I'm missing something though, haven't really hit the lab or watched any YT tech.

For now it's fun. But again, I thought DBFZ was fun at first. And then I couldn't stand the game after 2 months. We shall see how the game develops.
Comparison to DBZF is ridiculous. This game might lack the execution or technical details of classic GG, but it is absolutely still a GG game depth wise.

The worst thing I can say about Strive is that they stripped characters down to bare basics; but if they add old/new specials that will be fixed quite easily.

if you want to watch Zato pin Chipp consistently

Latro

Arcane
I’d also like to say the new RC system is genius. Not only can you make yourself safe/cancel stuff, the new dash RC mechanic means you can “hijack” or otherwise steal a turn. This opens up way more depth at first glance and this is in tandem with the usual instant block and FD stuff. Another new change is they allowed heavy delay on the gatlings; this is clearly meant to throw IB timings or even bait RCs.

The wall is a tactical decision, not everyone wants to break (milia, ino, Leo), but the positive buff is a wonderful advantage for someone who knows how to properly use the RC system (watch zato in that clip).

Wall break buffs
  • Automatically gains Tension
  • Damage for all attacks increased 10%
  • Damage taken from all attacks decreased 10%
  • Nullifies Tension Gain Penalty

This a major buff in general, but also for characters that play a strong neutral.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE WHAT COULD THIS BE

It's usually a banana peel I slip on.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Oh yeah, thanks Japan, make the bitch with no shoes a god tier so all the fucking JarlFranks main her and dominate. I'm Faust here, throwing out items like I'm cleaning out the attic, and this bitch is just killing every ounce of neutral integrity this game has. I knew once I set eyes on this Ramlethal she was going to be nothing but trouble. I'm serious too, I saw Ramlethal and May Lee and I winced and said aloud "oh no..." These are the bullshit characters come to wreak havoc on my life.

Who hard counters her to the point of ragequits?

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Oh yeah, thanks Japan, make the bitch with no shoes a god tier so all the fucking JarlFranks main her and dominate. I'm Faust here, throwing out items like I'm cleaning out the attic, and this bitch is just killing every ounce of neutral integrity this game has. I knew once I set eyes on this Ramlethal she was going to be nothing but trouble. I'm serious too, I saw Ramlethal and May Lee and I winced and said aloud "oh no..." These are the bullshit characters come to wreak havoc on my life.

Who hard counters her to the point of ragequits?

Learn I-No. She is fun, and most of the new players have no fucking idea how to conuter her.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I don't think I-No has the big dick energy that Faust has.

I-No is also some rocker thot, Faust is a doctor. That means he has better payout. Better payout = better results in the long term. This is how my brain chooses characters.

Nathir

Liturgist
Ok Zato vs Axl has to be a 3-7 matchup. Wtf are you even supposed to do here.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I don't think I-No has the big dick energy that Faust has.

I-No is also some rocker thot, Faust is a doctor. That means he has better payout. Better payout = better results in the long term. This is how my brain chooses characters.

Faust is just pure randomness and luck in various situations. He really is not the best choice if you're aiming for consistent wins. That's how it at least felt like when I tried to play him in GGXRD.

Ok Zato vs Axl has to be a 3-7 matchup. Wtf are you even supposed to do here.

Nothing. Fuck Axl, the most annoying piece of shit in the series.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I think it's fair to say Axl not wearing jorts massively upped his popularity. I was going to play him purely because he decided to wear pants until I saw TKBomber shit and I don't want to be a cripple just yet.

Right now I'm dead set on Faust but I am hearing the spirits call the name Potemkin in my head. He's a slow, lumbering cut of unfuckable meat but my god his damage is really something you would put on the fridge and show mom.

Latro

Arcane
I play Axl :3

1. Axl cannot do anything to you if you approach in the air because of meterless air blocking. If you get smacked by the AA sickle it's because you weren't blocking.
Jump forward and block.

2. Axl is a typical zoner in that he cannot cover the ground or the air at the same time, if he likes to 2H/sickle a lot either jump forward and get in his face or IAD if you're really feeling ballsy,
If he's AAing a lot with his 2s (and you're on the ground) that basically means you get in his face for free with a CH.

3. his fastest move is 6f and his only defense options are YRC and reversal. If he lacks meter, wail on him. He likes to FDC to push you out to where he can f.S you, be sure to throw + tick throw a lot in your pressure.

additionally, he has no real mixup. he has to rely on throws to open you up. stick out a S if you see it coming. his c.grab is hard at first but you can either IADin or backdash on reaction for a huge punish. pro axls are more pro-active than reactive, if you understand how Axl has to play his zoning you can beat most of them, especially if you understand how to pressure people properly (and can confirm into big half life corner combos)

if you think Axl is bullshit you should be thankful air blocking is free, in plus R you have to spend meter to even approach him in that game.

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane
I think it's fair to say Axl not wearing jorts massively upped his popularity. I was going to play him purely because he decided to wear pants until I saw TKBomber shit and I don't want to be a cripple just yet.

Right now I'm dead set on Faust but I am hearing the spirits call the name Potemkin in my head. He's a slow, lumbering cut of unfuckable meat but my god his damage is really something you would put on the fridge and show mom.
TK bomber loops are nice but it's not exactly easy to hitconfirm in the corner, if he does it oB he's toast. you can definitely play Axl without touching them atm. the easiest ways for axl to utilize bomber loops are off of c.S CHs (with 1 bar) or corner throw and occasionally j.H jump in (which are super tight)

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane
btw, axl isn't actually top tier, he pretty clearly has losing matchups vs nago, gio, and chipp. unless goldlewis or happy chaos are dumpsters I'm probably switching characters.

Nathir

Liturgist
I play Axl :3

1. Axl cannot do anything to you if you approach in the air because of meterless air blocking. If you get smacked by the AA sickle it's because you weren't blocking.
Jump forward and block.

2. Axl is a typical zoner in that he cannot cover the ground or the air at the same time, if he likes to 2H/sickle a lot either jump forward and get in his face or IAD if you're really feeling ballsy,
If he's AAing a lot with his 2s (and you're on the ground) that basically means you get in his face for free with a CH.

3. his fastest move is 6f and his only defense options are YRC and reversal. If he lacks meter, wail on him. He likes to FDC to push you out to where he can f.S you, be sure to throw + tick throw a lot in your pressure.

additionally, he has no real mixup. he has to rely on throws to open you up. stick out a S if you see it coming. his c.grab is hard at first but you can either IADin or backdash on reaction for a huge punish. pro axls are more pro-active than reactive, if you understand how Axl has to play his zoning you can beat most of them, especially if you understand how to pressure people properly (and can confirm into big half life corner combos)

if you think Axl is bullshit you should be thankful air blocking is free, in plus R you have to spend meter to even approach him in that game.

Idk how air blocking being free even matters though. The problem is that everything knocks you back so much from each other. Even on block. No far drill to snipe Axl. Flight mode has IAD delay built in for some reason.

btw, axl isn't actually top tier, he pretty clearly has losing matchups vs nago, gio, and chipp. unless goldlewis or happy chaos are dumpsters I'm probably switching characters.

Sorry but Nago imo should be terrible against Axl. Gio and Chipp are good maybe. I don't really know. I'd still say Axl is atleast top 5, even though I might biased because of the MU.

Anyway I keep failing my promotional matches for celestial floor. Last attempt I won 3 out of 5. Enemy Giovanna had 1 pixel of life left. I needed 1 jab to kill her and get 4 wins... Then she throws me 4 times in a row ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Oh well, next time for sure.

Latro

Arcane
Idk how air blocking being free even matters though.
I have yet to play any game where Axl times anyone out, if you play safe, you still gain ground, and if he overcommits a poke you should be quick enough to close the gap.

re: Nago - nope, nago eats axl alive. His swords have serious disjoint that Axl cannot outpoke, and Nago hits harder - much harder. In the corner Axl is basically toast unless Nago teleports into a c.S or lets him jump out.

Top 5 is sol, ram, may, chipp, perhaps gio or Leo. I’ve seen that axl 5p meme video and it was clearly against a retard. Competent nagos can counter poke with 6p or if they space correctly do that leaping slash. Did I mention nago’s gamma blade beats ressen?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom