Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Was Dark Souls 2 the greatest game that From Software ever made?

Was Dark Souls 2 better than everything?

• Yes

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • It was better than everything

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • No. There has never been a better game than Dark Souls 2

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters

SumDrunkGuy

I'm fine with people prefering Dark Souls 1 or the OG Demon's Souls. Those games is spectacular. Dark Souls 3 on the other hand was pure decline in almost every way imaginable. But it had better graffix I guess?

Shrimp

Arbiter
I'll acknowledge that Dark Souls 2 did some questionable things like Soul Memory, ADP and level/world design very clearly being made with fast travel in mind. But that does not necessarily make it a bad game by any means. I think it gets a lot more flak than it actually deserves just because people wanted Dark Souls 1 but in a new setting. We got a fusion of Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne through Dark Souls 3 and guess what? It's the worst of the three and the only people who genuinely consider it to be their favourite are zoomers who were introduced to the franchise through their favourite e-celebrity playing the third game.
I played the three games on release and for what it's worth I enjoyed DS2 the most. Also friendly reminder that these games only can be truly experienced during their release window when everyone still is playing it blindly. If you pick them up years later you only get a hollow experience.

With that being said I don't think there's much merit in trying to rank the three games since they all excel in some departments but lack in others and ultimately it primarily comes down to personal preference which elements one likes the most. It's almost as if it's one of FROM's core design philosophies that every time they innovate on something they have to cull a different feature from one of the previous games.

SumDrunkGuy

I'll acknowledge that Dark Souls 2 did some questionable things like Soul Memory, ADP and level/world design very clearly being made with fast travel in mind. But that does not necessarily make it a bad game by any means. I think it gets a lot more flak than it actually deserves just because people wanted Dark Souls 1 but in a new setting. We got a fusion of Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne through Dark Souls 3 and guess what? It's the worst of the three and the only people who genuinely consider it to be their favourite are zoomers who were introduced to the franchise through their favourite e-celebrity playing the third game.
I played the three games on release and for what it's worth I enjoyed DS2 the most. Also friendly reminder that these games only can be truly experienced during their release window when everyone still is playing it blindly. If you pick them up years later you only get a hollow experience.

With that being said I don't think there's much merit in trying to rank the three games since they all excel in some departments but lack in others and ultimately it primarily comes down to personal preference which elements one likes the most. It's almost as if it's one of FROM's core design philosophies that every time they innovate on something they have to cull a different feature from one of the previous games.

I got introduced by Demon's Souls back in February 2009 on a shit PS3, so go fuck yourself faggot. I'm one of the OGs.

Shrimp

Arbiter

I got introduced by Demon's Souls back in February 2009 on a shit PS3, so go fuck yourself faggot. I'm one of the OGs.
That's cool and all but DeS is not a Dark Souls game so I fail to see what that has to do with anything

Hassar

Scholar
No, I think Dark Souls 1 set a high standard that DS2 and DS3 didn’t meet. DS2 improved on a lot of things, but overall had less cohesive design elements and it reused a lot of game elements for the third time - it may be the Dark Souls sequel, but since DeS birthed the series, there were two games with similar elements by the time DS2 came about and they were reused for the fourth time in DS3 when the staleness became apparent. I think DS2 had some nice levels like Shrine of Amana. Armored Core is quite good, as well.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
DeS, DS1, DS2, BB >> Sekiro >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> my nuts in a blender >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DS3

ADL

Prophet
Yes because it's most similar to the King's Field series. Definitely some questionable decisions here and there and the aesthetic was clearly ruined after they removed the lighting system last minute but overall it was great. I really wanna play through it again but I'm gonna wait for that lighting artist guy to release his overhaul mod that looks amazing and makes torches mandatory like how it was in the beta.
https://www.patreon.com/stayd

1.png

1.png

1.png

1.png

EPtzsmGUYAANglQ

EObPfEnVAAAzHhs

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

Fuckin homos. I understood true greatness when I was nothing more than a baby sucking my mother's teet. I understood at a very early age that Conan the Barbarian is the greatest film ever made. Like 6 or 7 years old I understood that shit.

Likewise, Dark Souls 1 & 2, I understood were better than everything. Come at me you fat diabetic homos. Anytime, any day, momma boy faggots. I'll fight anytime.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Credit where it's due, DS2 is the only game I can think of that's better than its own after the fact "special" edition.

SumDrunkGuy

SumDrunkGuy usually I only ignore people who are so retarded I actually feel stupider when I read their posts + aren't entertaining, even if I generally agree with some of their sentiments. To date, I've only ever had to do this to one other person. So, congratulations?

I'm absolutely devastated!

Falksi

Arcane
Obviously each one is gonna appeal to each persons own personal preferences, but Dark Souls 2 is definitely my favorite of the Souls series. I loved the fact you could permanently kill things. That really helped enhance the feeling of conquering the land.

I enjoyed most the Souls games though, even DS3.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom