Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Underlair - roguelike dungeon crawler with optional co-op

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I look forward to a professional demo sir. Honestly, I really like how this is looking and find myself more and more interested in this project.

I hope you continue with this.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
It is crazy how 1 person can make such good system. And looking at screenshot system already looks good.

But i am worried this will take like 5+ years to make this game...
Your reasoning is totally fair. In August of this very year, Underlair will hit 1 year development time and when I look back, it is indeed impressive how much I managed to develop during this time. But then, I recall that I've worked on it 5 hours on average every single day and I haven't had any fun at all playing games, travelling or socializing with family and friends. I'm not complaining though, I'm doing something I really enjoy and thankfully, my wife has indoors hobbies that facilitate our relationship and project management. Cheers!

How can we support? Looks like incline to me.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
I look forward to a professional demo sir. Honestly, I really like how this is looking and find myself more and more interested in this project.

I hope you continue with this.
Thank you for your kind words. At the moment, I'm implementing the UI for both the main menus and in-game functionality. Once I'm done with that, I will begin spawning creatures and work on the combat system.

I'm confident I will be able to demonstrate the combat system this very year. I'm just not sure if I can squeeze in a demo too. There is too much I still need to work on from a mechanics perspective and I want to deliver a playable demo with the quality this project and its audience deserves. I invite you to keep an eye on its website; I post there weekly.

Last edited:

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
It is crazy how 1 person can make such good system. And looking at screenshot system already looks good.

But i am worried this will take like 5+ years to make this game...
Your reasoning is totally fair. In August of this very year, Underlair will hit 1 year development time and when I look back, it is indeed impressive how much I managed to develop during this time. But then, I recall that I've worked on it 5 hours on average every single day and I haven't had any fun at all playing games, travelling or socializing with family and friends. I'm not complaining though, I'm doing something I really enjoy and thankfully, my wife has indoors hobbies that facilitate our relationship and project management. Cheers!

How can we support? Looks like incline to me.

If you are interested in supporting the project, check out the Underlair's website. There, you can contribute whatever amount you would like via Paypal. All money donated will be used to hire professionals that will provide custom art for Underlair. You can check out more details on this over there too. Find its website on my signature.

Last edited:

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Hello guys. I'm just dropping a quick update on the unveiling of the warrior classes. The specialization classes are unlocked via guilds associated with the base class characters belong to.
Find more information about this update here.

Classes_Warrior.png

Let me know if I can provide additional information. Stay safe!

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
An actual good looking, and interesting western first person dungeon crawler ?

What is this? Bizarro world?

This looks really interesting so far. Also, any details on the Tactical Formation bit? Is it something like Wizardry Forsaken Lands where all four people can group together to do a team attack, or defend themselves from rushing enemes?=

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
An actual good looking, and interesting western first person dungeon crawler ?

What is this? Bizarro world?

This looks really interesting so far. Also, any details on the Tactical Formation bit? Is it something like Wizardry Forsaken Lands where all four people can group together to do a team attack, or defend themselves from rushing enemes?=

Underlair treats the player's party as a blobber, this means that the party will move as a whole during combat phase. It uses action points to perform actions, exactly as Fallout 1/2 does it. The tactical formation displays which character's can attack and take damage from any of the 4 directions:

upload_2021-6-20_20-6-22.png

When combat is engaged, the formation is locked, meaning that if you now rotate the camera to face another direction, the formation itself will rotate accordingly, letting you know which characters can attack the new direction you are now facing.

The formation also tells who will take damage when being attacked. Character 6 will block all melee attacks from south and East, while character 5 will block and receive damage from attacks from East only. Character 4 who sits right in the middle, she is unable to attack anything using melee, but can use ranged attacks or polearms.
When you have 2 or more characters in the same row or column, they will be targetted randomly or through specific behaviors. For example, a creature with 'Prey' trait will most likely attack the weakest of characters. Character 1 and 2 will attack the direction the player is facing.

As combat advances, you can make changes in the formation grid, like sending wounded characters to the back or bringing your stronger members to defend a new side. These formation modifications required tactical points as seen in point 7. Once they deplete, you can still make modifications but will deplete all action points, leading to the character to skip his turn altogether.

You can rotate your whole party while keep facing the same direction using buttons 8 and 9. It will consume a lot of tactical points but less than realocating each one of the characters, one by one.

I really need to make a video regarding this. But I still have to develop other things before I can do it.

I hope this was helpful.

Last edited:

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Looks interesting. Is the Inquisitor the more 'Ugly and Dark' version of a warrior, if there is one?

It's about right. It's a kind of a darker approach to a warrior, its former name was actually 'Dark knight'. The inquisitor will use one of the darker psycrum (magic) powers - Leech - to weaken victims.

Last edited:

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Hey guys. Just dropping the weekly update.

I'm unveiling the Rogue class specializations. That damn thief symbol took more time than all others combined. Sigh...

Classes_Rogue.png

Stay safe!

Last edited:

RPK

Scholar
you're game is looking nice!

A couple things about the Rogue class screenshot above:
"well known" in the assassin description should be hyphenated as "well-known". The grammar rule is that if neither word of the adjective sufficiently describes the noun, and neither "well" or, in this case "known" does, you need to hyphenate because the term "well-known" is essentially a single adjective by itself. It's also missing the "n" :)

I don't know what your intent is with these screenshots, to put them in game, or not, but even if you're just going to put them on a website, you want the grammar and everything else to be impeccable, so I'm not just trying to be a grammar nazi

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
you're game is looking nice!

A couple things about the Rogue class screenshot above:
"well known" in the assassin description should be hyphenated as "well-known". The grammar rule is that if neither word of the adjective sufficiently describes the noun, and neither "well" or, in this case "known" does, you need to hyphenate because the term "well-known" is essentially a single adjective by itself. It's also missing the "n" :)

I don't know what your intent is with these screenshots, to put them in game, or not, but even if you're just going to put them on a website, you want the grammar and everything else to be impeccable, so I'm not just trying to be a grammar nazi

Oh man, thanks for the heads-up! I did use some grammar correction but as English is a side language of mine, I often make some serious mistakes when typing it. This is just an informative screen but regardless, I will definitely have someone checking for grammar issues later on. I'm sure some sentences are not sound and require tweaking.

Last edited:

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Looking fantastic so far, though the coop thing worries me. Seems like overreaching for a single dev.

Would pay for demo.

The co-op is definitely posing a challenge, mostly from a cost perspective. While Underlair's engine already lets people connect with the server-client approach, the real challenge is developing the visual side of it (models for characters). If for some reason co-op gets too problematic, it will be postponed. Know that co-op is an addon feature and not the core foundation of Underlair, which is single-player.

I believe I will be able to have the combat system moderately developed during this year but I'm uncertain if a demo will be available.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Hello guys. I'm just dropping the weekly update which is all about the psycaster class.

Classes_Psycaster.png

I really wish I could brofist your comments guys, but I'm still a codex noob :(

Generic-Giant-Spider

Hello everyone. I'm just posting a bunch of screenshots as a follow-up to Underlair's development.
The UI has been heavily focused on and the mockups below are now being coded into the game.

Underlair_Spider_UI_Maximized.png

Underlair_Spider_UI_Minimized.png

vince-mcmahon-excited-768x480.png

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All you say is correct but unfortunately, your list is far from being complete. Looking into to my project folder, it actually goes back to the year 2005, with a total of nearly 20 projects, none of them finished, naturally. Regardless, it has been a great learning process and all I can say is that I should have started using Unity long ago. In 6 months using Unity, I managed to develop more than all those past years combined and the funny thing about all this, is that I've come to know other game developers sharing similar experiences, which is a sort of a mental relief to me.

And now, all those years of experience working in unfinished proyects are now paying off developing this game in Unity for what I see.

Codex Year of the Donut
Oh man, thanks for the heads-up! I did use some grammar correction but as English is a side language of mine, I often make some serious mistakes when typing it. This is just an informative screen but regardless, I will definitely have someone checking for grammar issues later on. I'm sure some sentences are not sound and require tweaking.
Might want to run the text through grammarly or languagetool first then.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
All you say is correct but unfortunately, your list is far from being complete. Looking into to my project folder, it actually goes back to the year 2005, with a total of nearly 20 projects, none of them finished, naturally. Regardless, it has been a great learning process and all I can say is that I should have started using Unity long ago. In 6 months using Unity, I managed to develop more than all those past years combined and the funny thing about all this, is that I've come to know other game developers sharing similar experiences, which is a sort of a mental relief to me.

And now, all those years of experience working in unfinished proyects are now paying off developing this game in Unity for what I see.

Absolutely. Every failed attempt taught me a lesson and with Unity now taking care of most of the hard work, I anticipate a bright future for this project. It's all going very well and if no RL issues get in the way, I'm positive that I will finally have most of the game developed in a year. I just hope I can continue to professionally work from home as it grants me 4h additional hours I can put on Underlair.

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Might want to run the text through grammarly or languagetool first then.

Yeah, I'm using Grammarly for a few weeks now and it has fixed a serious amount of grammar and spelling errors. But I will have someone checking all texts before a demo is made available.
Nonetheless, thanks for your suggestions.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Keep up the good work! Seriously, if you abandon this project like your last one we will find you

:mob:

Generic-Giant-Spider

I'll probably forget about being angry after like 2 hours but before that happens I will also be very cross.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom