Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds 2

Child of Malkav

Erudite
The fact they even announced this game so soon means that no improvements of any kind have been made. It'll be just copied and pasted, from a gameplay mechanics and gameplay features perspective. Sad. Big names behind projects means nothing.

Outer Worlds was released in late 2019 and won't actually be out until late 2022 at the earliest. Three years is plenty of time for a same-engine sequel.
I didn't say there's no time. I said there won't be any improvements.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The fact they even announced this game so soon means that no improvements of any kind have been made. It'll be just copied and pasted, from a gameplay mechanics and gameplay features perspective. Sad. Big names behind projects means nothing.

Outer Worlds was released in late 2019 and won't actually be out until late 2022 at the earliest. Three years is plenty of time for a same-engine sequel.
Plus, the fundamental problem with the Outer Worlds is lack of budget and content. A lot of people bought it thinking it would be a larger game, but they certainly didn't expect anything different from 'fallouty FPS with skill checks'. An ideal sequel would just keep all the current tech and create a larger, more interesting world that can stand up to F:NV.

The fundamental problem with TOW was a lack of vision, lame ass humor, anemic shooter and rpg mechanics...
Actually, the problem with TOW was TOW.

Delterius

Arcane

but 'gameplay improvements' aren't the improvements this game needs. its the story/world/content that disappointed people, not it being an fps with skillchecks. keeping all the tech as is and trying a little harder when it comes to the story is the only path of success (not saying it will happen, however).

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

The fact they even announced this game so soon

:hmmm:

Child of Malkav

Erudite

The fact they even announced this game so soon

:hmmm:
They literally just released the latest DLC for TOW1 and now they announce the 2nd game. That's....fast.
As for the story, narrative stuff, yeah, sure, whatever. Didn't really pay attention too much to that. The whole corporate crap really overstayed its welcome. But the gameplay is mediocre and I simply said that there will not be any mechanical or feature improvements because there were also none of them in the DLCs either. That's all.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They literally just released the latest DLC for TOW1 and now they announce the 2nd game. That's....fast.

TOW's DLC was unusually late. Anyway Adler became project director of TOW 2 sometime between April and October of last year so he either inherited the project from someone who stepped down or they just started last year and the teaser trailer was being completely honest about how they have nothing done yet and we won't be seeing TOW 2 until 2023 at the earliest.

purupuru

Learned
I for one am definitely disappointed with TOW's gameplay. The itemization appears even more lackluster if you try to see the game as a looter-shooter. FPS players may not care much about story and quest design but they can immediately smell poor weapon variety.

Quillon

Arcane
same-engine sequel.

it'll be in UE5 fo'sho tho its prolly not much different and said to be compatible with UE4 projects... but under MS they have no excuse to make the game "same quality but bigger" anyway unless they treat it as a side project and even release it earlier than their flagship title awovedzzz

Cugel

Novice
I would be surprised if this does well, even my normie friends who like everything thought the first one was lackluster.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
I would be surprised if this does well, even my normie friends who like everything thought the first one was lackluster.

Even so, the pattern seems to be for even people who were disappointed, "hope springs eternal" and they rush into buying the next one regardless because they'll imagine all the problems will be magically fixed.

My opin: If it's a $1 gamepass try, I doubt people will care about the quality and at least play it for a while.

Gargaune

Magister
My opin: If it's a $1 gamepass try, I doubt people will care about the quality and at least play it for a while.
Subscription service models will usher videogaming into a new era of Decline. Mediocrity shall thrive unchallenged, monocles shall wilt and (PC Gaming) Man will know the true face of Despair, at last.

The end is nigh. Repent.

jackofshadows

Magister
Word. Wasteland 3 and TOW were the first two major examples who got a free pass while they were supposed to be left and buried instead. Buckle the fuck up.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
this is wrong.

hopw roewur ne.

It is wrong. I didn't mean the "hope springs eternal" feeling was something that came out of any sort of TRUTH, I was just commenting on the emotional reset that seems to happen when people see a new trailer and then they either forget about the bad stuff or imagine all the bad stuff is going away or they imagine there's still a chance the next sequel can deliver the Thing the previous one was missing, etc, etc.

Not everyone, though, and some folks are wise enough not to get burned twice.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Subscription service models will usher videogaming into a new era of Decline.

I was kinda hoping it would encourage people to try new games, but I don't have any actual data for that. I don't know if video streaming encourages people to try new shows, for example, unless it's the pandemic and people are desperate to watch whatever

DeepOcean

Arcane
Plus, the fundamental problem with the Outer Worlds is lack of budget and content. A lot of people bought it thinking it would be a larger game, but they certainly didn't expect anything different from 'fallouty FPS with skill checks'. An ideal sequel would just keep all the current tech and create a larger, more interesting world that can stand up to F:NV.
Man, dunno about that, just watch Tim Cain lectures on game design and this illusion of an incline game all of sudden coming out of bigger budget will disappear pretty quickly. Do you want Borderlands meets Skyrim with bad jokes? That is what Outer Worlds 2 will be, a bigger pile of shit.

You cant fix a problem of game design with a bigger budget, also, in terms of storyfagness, this game will ever reach the levels of New Vegas because of the writing choice, they chosen satire and satire is extremely hard to do and they also are far from being regular good writers, imagine writers that are so good that they can do satire. Satire involves you making a funny caricature of something with a criticism that is clever and at same time funny, Outer Worlds is a caricature without the clever and funny part and I dont think a clueless huge corporation like Microsoft will just fix the problem giving more money to the same group of mediocre people.

Also, notice that satire has only a bite when it can be unsafe, now, how are you going to do unsafe satire on this day and age? Nope, you can only do boring safe satire. So, the world building will remain as it is, a butt of a clever joke that wont come. Just look to Borderlands and you will see this "humor" on action, a world that is just a butt for bad jokes. Only way I see Outer Worlds 2 being good is if they accept they cant do satire, try a serious worldbuilding for a change and really change their game design ideas that were just typical AAA, by the numbers bullshit with less polish. Maybe a bigger budget will bring a better polish so normie NPCs are more easily bamboozled by the graphics to notice the bad gameplay but that is it if they dont change the gameplay mechanics.

Of course, I'm talking of the codex here, normie NPCs will love any shit as long as it is shiny and is a big empty open world.

Daily reminder that TOW had no redeeming qualities.
Mix Fallout 3, Bioshock and Borderlands and somehow end up with something that manages to be worse than all 3
Having played Bioshock and TOW recently (both in the last 6 months) I can confidently say that TOW is substantially superior, but that’s not exactly a ringing endorsement. TOW is mediocre; Bioshock is straight-up awful.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Having played Bioshock and TOW recently (both in the last 6 months) I can confidently say that TOW is substantially superior, but that’s not exactly a ringing endorsement. TOW is mediocre; Bioshock is straight-up awful.
Bioshock has decent shooting mechanics, a cohesive environment that doesn't look like it was drawn on an LSD binge and at least tries to do this "storyline" thing. It even has a plot twist or 2.

The Outhouse World has none of those.

Delterius

Arcane
Of course, I'm talking of the codex here
In case it wasn't clear I wasn't, not really. Just saying that the Outer Worlds left everyone dissatisfied, including New Vegas and even including Fallout 3 fans. All I'm saying is that with most people somewhere in between one or the other I'd say OW2 could have a nice launch if only they put some more effort into it. I played it out of curiosity last week, I expected something wacky and not great but entertaining. What I got instead just felt tame.

People say 'void it' instead of 'damn it' and that got a chuckle out of me. I don't even mind that the corporate satire isn't particularly inventive either, but it's played in such a nonchalant and lowkey way that it falls flat, even for what it is. So people in Halcyon eat either fake fish or tumor pigs. Seeing the tumor pigs on the loading screen 'ad' was disgusting. Seeing their models here and there was disgusting too. But then, nothing, I guess? The most fun I had interacting with the setting was the couple of times I hacked into a terminal and found out every part of the corporate government seems to be sabotaging and suing each other and their own subsidiaries over insurance claims. However that just means my brain is filling the blanks, imagining a better game that should have existed, an Outer Worlds where Edgewater should have been a simplified introduction of a bigger world to come, not a high(ish) note of the story.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom