Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D Dark Alliance - co-op action brawler where you play Drizzt's party

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wow, it took a whole bunch of whining but we did it, the thread actually got moved where it belongs.
This can only mean one thing: when our demands aren't satisfied it's only because we didn't whine enough.

Time to REALLY start whining about Cyberpunk, I guess.

PrettyDeadman

I never even looked at this and just thought it was a port of that BG Dark Alliance game.
Guess not, then?
Didnt they promise to release dark alliance port on steam along with new game? I thought this was the new game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Narrated by Benedict Cumberbatch and written by R.A. Salvatore, Sleep Sound reintroduces the origin story of the iconic Dungeons & Dragons hero, Drizzt Do’Urden.

Join host B. Dave Walters (Black Dice Society) as he delves into the world of the iconic Dungeons & Dragons hero: Drizzt Do’Urden. Featuring the world premiere of the new animated short “Sleep Sound” narrated by Benedict Cumberbatch and written by R.A. Salvatore, it includes interviews with R.A. Salvatore, DARK ALLIANCE developer Jeff Hattem and a sneak peek at the upcoming Magic: The Gathering and D&D crossover Adventures in the Forgotten Realms.

Codex Year of the Donut
Today I will remind them
PKNCmXc.png

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I tried reading some of the later Drizzt books but holy shit.
First of all you barely know anyone because that shit's one continuous story and you just missed about 20 books worth of development.
Second of all, Drizzt is still a whiner except now he whines about things you haven't even heard of.

copebot

Learned
What kind of hormones would you take to transition from an action-RPG into a brawler?

A horse of course

First of all you barely know anyone because that shit's one continuous story and you just missed about 20 books worth of development.
Second of all, Drizzt is still a whiner except now he whines about things you haven't even heard of.

What's going on in drizztland now anyway. I read all the old books, then it started to get a bit complicated and edgy when you had big wars with the Many-Arrows Kingdom and taking over Luskan and stuffies. Then major characters started getting killed, but then there was a massive time jump and all the old characters got resurrected in new bodies?????????????? Also Artemis is still alive because of evil magic but he's kinda an antihero now? I stopped paying attention around the point Drizzt got cucked by Artemis or something.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

What's going on in drizztland now anyway. I read all the old books, then it started to get a bit complicated and edgy when you had big wars with the Many-Arrows Kingdom and taking over Luskan and stuffies. Then major characters started getting killed, but then there was a massive time jump and all the old characters got resurrected in new bodies?????????????? Also Artemis is still alive because of evil magic but he's kinda an antihero now? I stopped paying attention around the point Drizzt got cucked by Artemis or something.

Didn't Artemis stab a ghost with his lifestealer dagger or w/e it was called and end up becoming part shade or something stupid.

I stopped paying attention to those books a long time back in all honesty.

A horse of course

Didn't Artemis stab a ghost with his lifestealer dagger or w/e it was called and end up becoming part shade or something stupid.

I stopped paying attention to those books a long time back in all honesty.

I thought it was something to do with the "Shadovar" or whoever the new big baddies are in 4e/5e.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/06/09/dark-alliance-revealing-the-free-post-launch-plan/

Dark Alliance: Revealing the Free Post-Launch Plan

Dark Alliance is coming to Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Windows PC, and phones and tablets via Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta) with Xbox Game Pass on Day One, June 22. But we’re not stopping there! We’ll have more monsters to slay, dungeons to loot, and challenges to overcome throughout the year.

WOTC1076_DLC_Roadmap_16x9.jpg

First, let’s cover what’s coming with the June 22 launch. We have three planned post-launch content drops in 2021 that will give players more of what they love.

Free DLC 1: Wraiths

DLC1_Wraiths.jpg

Our first planned DLC arrives this Summer (Winter for our southern hemisphere friends) and is free for everyone. This includes a new story mission over three levels, where you will battle a faction of Wraiths that are attempting to corrupt a forest spirit for their own gains.

That’s not all. We expect to add two-player split-screen play options to PC and Xbox Series X|S with this update.

Free DLC 2: Trolls

DLC2_Trolls.jpg

Our second planned DLC arrives this Fall (Spring in the southern hemisphere) and is also free for everyone. It will include a new story mission told over three levels. Trolls have invaded Kelvin’s Cairn and it’s up to you to eradicate them. This DLC will also add new challenge ratings to the game, giving you higher expert difficulties to overcome.

Echoes of the Blood War – Expansion

DLC3_Gnolls.jpg

We’ll end the year with a large paid expansion Echoes of the Blood War. This expansion will add a brand-new, magic-using playable character to the game – the perfect addition to the party! Along with the new character comes a new storyline with new missions and new monsters.

We can’t wait for you to get your hands on Dark Alliance when it releases on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Windows PC, and phones and tablets via Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta) with Xbox Game Pass on Day One, June 22. Much more exciting things in store for this year!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://wccftech.com/dungeons-dragons-dark-alliance-qa-emergent-combat-detailed-4k60-on-next-gen/

Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Q&A – Emergent Combat Detailed; 4K@60 on Next-Gen

As part of its large scale plan to bring the beloved Dungeons & Dragons IP to videogames, Wizards of the Coast is about to publish the action RPG Dark Alliance, a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate spin-off games originally released for consoles about twenty years ago.

Just like those games, Dark Alliance is squarely focused on hacking and slashing, though there are a few notable differences such as the perspective (now set to third-person over the shoulder instead of isometric) and the playable characters (whereas the previous titles featured unknown heroes, this time around the roster is made of the most famous heroes of the Forgotten Realms, the Companions of the Hall from the books penned by R.A. Salvatore).

With the launch scheduled for next Tuesday, June 22nd, we reached out to developer Tuque Games (previously known for Livelock and acquired by Wizards of the Coast back in late 2019) to learn more about Dark Alliance through an interview with Lead Mission Designer Jean-François Champagne.

As a reminder, the game will be available for $39.99 on PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series S|X. PC and Xbox users can play it with no additional cost as part of their Game Pass subscription, though, and these two platforms also feature crossplay at launch.

Which engine is being used for the game's development?

We’re using Unreal Engine to make Dark Alliance.

One element of the beloved PnP Dungeons & Dragons that you translated into Dark Alliance is the short rest mechanics. If the community responds well to that, are you open to exploring the addition of more DnD mechanics into Dark Alliance?

You might have noticed recently that we are adding couch co-op to PS5, Xbox Series X|S and PC after launch; we take our community’s comments and suggestions to heart. The rest is all a matter of scale and feasibility.

How long are you expecting missions to take on average? Are there any randomized elements or objectives to add variety and incentivize replayability?

How long each level takes depends on a variety of factors. If you’re on the lowest difficulty rating, a party of four can complete one mission in about 20 minutes. If you have lower-level gear and abilities, challenge rating 2 of the same level could take up to 40 minutes. It depends on the challenge rating, what gear you have equipped, how many special moves you’ve unlocked, and how many people are in your party.

Can you talk about the emergent combat system of Dark Alliance? Will combos work in a way that potentially enhances teamwork?

The emergent combat system means that combos and move chains are not pre-canned. Moves have opportunity windows where they can be chained into other moves. As you unlock new moves, experiment with different combinations, and master your arsenal, you can devise your own combos. As for teamwork, one example (among many) is that the combo meter that fills the Ultimate Gauge is shared, so coordinating with your teammates to alternate attacks while others regain their stamina is a way to get that combo chain to run near indefinitely; which means filling your Ultimate meter faster.

How important is loot going to be for a character's power compared to the player's skill?

Gathering loot and collecting the right gear is important for advancing and progressing through the harder difficulty levels. There are six challenge ratings in the game (or six levels of difficulty to master).

Is there any way to upgrade items through gems, enchanting, and the like? If so, how does that work?

Gear can be upgraded with crystals of different quality that can be picked up as resources in the environment and/or given as rewards. The harder the difficulty, the better the quality. You can do all of that by visiting the merchant in the base camp in between missions.
As players turn up Challenge Levels in Dark Alliance, do the AI foes get smarter/more aggressive, or will they just have more health points and deal more damage?

Their direct AI behaviors won’t change, but more enemies will be able to attack you at once, making the fights feel more aggressive. The Elite System will generate unique abilities for them that will force you to adapt to each encounter a little bit differently.

With regards to character progression, can you share more on how feats and move trees are going to work in Dark Alliance? Is it possible to freely 'respec' a character?

There is no respec-ing in the game. We opted for a system that allows you to unlock every move and every feat by the time you reach max level (20). Our philosophy is that we let you progressively unlock your full arsenal as you learn to use it. Choosing what loadout you want to use on specific missions and learning how to use all your tools with maximum effectiveness is where you, the player, need to get creative and oh yeah—"git gud.”

Co-op action RPGs often add new classes or characters post-launch. Is that something that could happen for Dark Alliance, adding more playable characters?

There is already a plan to add one playable magic-user after the game launches.

A big part of keeping players engaged in cooperative action RPGs is the so-called endgame. Can you tell us what that's going to look like in Dark Alliance?

One aspect of building the ultimate companion is to get the best gear, and the best gear requires you to play on the hardest levels of difficulty. Mastering the combat system, teaming up with friends, and finding the best sets for specific challenges as you tackle the game at the highest difficulty can keep you engaged for a long, long time.

And when your main is all geared up and has become the ultimate badass, there are three other companions with completely different fighting styles for you to explore and upgrade as well.

Is there voice chat and/or text chat in the game?

There is voice chat, but not text chat.

Local co-op and full crossplay are two of the most requested features from the community. Are you working to support them post-launch?

Yes! We are working on bringing two-player couch co-op to PS5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC hopefully with the first free DLC this summer. We’re investigating how to support two-player couch co-op on PS4 and Xbox One after that. Full crossplay is not currently part of the plan.

Will the game be enhanced for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S|X consoles? If so, can you share the planned enhancements as well as the target resolution and frame rates?

We put a lot of effort into bringing the Forgotten Realms to life in Dark Alliance; the game is gorgeous on PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S|X consoles with a 4K resolution at 60 fps.

Is there anything you'd like to add about Dark Alliance?

A lot of us at Tuque are huge D&D fans and we can’t wait for the community to experience Dark Alliance for themselves!

Thank you for your time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom