Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ubisoft pulls the plug on Might & Magic X

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Core games can be shit or great but if the modding tools are awesome and desire is there then the real magic happens. Doom is still active like hell and it took this site to tell me daggerfall modding was a thing. Tbh, I think companies hate various modding communities esp when it makes the core game look like crap.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
You knew it will happen sooner or later. We are the last generation that is still able to play the games of our youth. New generations will not be so lucky.

Terra

Cipher
Are you serious Ubisoft? "Oh, we're planning to break/gimp a product you bought in a few weeks time and can't be bothered to patch out our DRM. Please understand."

Hopefully they'll get some nasty blowback on this.

"It's just another launcher guys." lol

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
If you own a legitimate copy of the game, you should be able to let the company know what you think. https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/2331633-So-about-the-removal-from-Online-Services
SaId2rN.jpg

Zeriel

Arcane
Modern AC is nothing like old AC
Implying old AC was good is comical.

I implied no such thing. I was never a fan, but that doesn't change the fact the series changed drastically when they soft rebooted with Egypt. To be fair they had already devolved it before that point, but that was when they intentionally and openly changed direction.

DSW

Novice
Similar fuckery happened with Anno 2070 so now you need to download a patcher that will circumvent game's DRM and "unlock" the DLC you own.
You do not own your games on online-services like Steam.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
LOL!

More like...

You do not own your games AT ALL!

Steam can erase them, GOG can, google drive, youtube, imgur, photobucket, etc etc etc can erase your content whenever they want. Hope they don't put usage locks on DLs where after x-times opened or used it DISAPPEARS or cones up with a charge screen or worse (auto-charges your bank account). Fuck, I bet your VPN, anti-virus, and lifelock shit could just quit on you and force you to reapply a new charge even before sub ends. That's the fucky net for you.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
If you don't use linux, you don't own your OS too. If you use Apple you don't own your computer either. Natural trend of Kwanza capitalism is to trasform every product as a service, not only software related products.

In essence, if you own something, you are free because you can use it as you wish and you don't need to buy it anymore. Hence, capitalistic economy cannot allow you to own something, in order to preserve itself. Because if your needs are satisfied by owning something, you are free and not a consumer anymore. In order to not collapse, the economy needs to keep people enslaved and unsatisfied, i.e. consumers. For the modern economy, natural needs are not enough anymore to keep you ensalved. Hence, artificial needs and makeshift scarcity are deliberately created by banishing your ownership from the products you buy.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Modern AC is nothing like old AC, so not sure exactly what you guys mean there. If anything, it has devolved/went into the copycat route, when they saw the Witcher money. Kind of like how Bioware tried to copy Skyrim with DAI, only Ubisoft actually succeeded insofar as they made more money.

Okay fair - it's got "RPG" mechanics.. because you can't bundle up deterministic game mechanics / player skill and sell it for ubibucks.
I still would argue the thin veneer of "progression & equipment upgrades & currency" is just that, just a way to elongate a soulless game and sell people tat.

You could argue as well that the graphics have improved and cutscenes are better.. but can't I just shit talk a little?

I dunno why people think I am complimenting this "evolution"--I was heavily implying that they destroyed the franchise's identity. I never cared for AC's original formula that much, I much prefer Prince of Persia (which it was a reboot of), but among the AC community it's split between those who are really pissed over the fact the old games formula doesn't exist anymore, and the more mainstream audience who don't really care about anything except number go up and big world in historical setting.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Modern AC is nothing like old AC, so not sure exactly what you guys mean there. If anything, it has devolved/went into the copycat route, when they saw the Witcher money. Kind of like how Bioware tried to copy Skyrim with DAI, only Ubisoft actually succeeded insofar as they made more money.
More or less accurate except Bioware was copying the Ubisoft-style open world, much like how Witcher 3 also copied the Ubisoft-style.

I dunno why people think I am complimenting this "evolution"--I was heavily implying that they destroyed the franchise's identity. I never cared for AC's original formula that much, I much prefer Prince of Persia (which it was a reboot of), but among the AC community it's split between those who are really pissed over the fact the old games formula doesn't exist anymore, and the more mainstream audience who don't really care about anything except number go up and big world in historical setting.

After nine main series entries of the same formula with various refinements/additional gimmicks, a big change needed to happen (especially since Syndicate sold worse than any other installment to date despite having more polish than the notoriously buggy Unity).

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
More or less accurate except Bioware was copying the Ubisoft-style open world, much like how Witcher 3 also copied the Ubisoft-style.

After nine main series entries of the same formula with various refinements/additional gimmicks, a big change needed to happen (especially since Syndicate sold worse than any other installment to date despite having more polish than the notoriously buggy Unity).

Yeah, I agree. I just think the "evolution" of gutting what creativity the series had and replacing it with something completely rote isn't an upgrade. But that's Ubisoft for you.

El Pollo Diablo

Educated
Tried refunding it on Steam, didn't expect much but wondered what they were going to say. Got a generic "Your playtime of an included product exceeds 2 hours" reply.

Gerrard

Arcane
And that's why I only buy games on GOG.
And by buying games on GOG you're giving money to people soycucks who wish you were dead.

They mentioned that they also shut off servers for Far Cry 2, Settlers 7, and Ass Creed 2. I wonder if those games also have issues.

Better download cracks for them just in case.
Wasn't Settlers 7 the one that had their shitty always-online DRM they invented way back? Or maybe it was an older one.

hackncrazy

Savant
Damn, I have this game sitting in my library for ages and was about to start a playthrough in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know If the not legal versions have this problem as well?

I guess not but it doesn't hurt to ask.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom