Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

sigard

Not Excidium

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Icewind Dale 2, soloable as a conjuring sorcerer.
Shadow Hearts had some good summoning if I remember right.
SACRFİCE!
Diablo 2 ,Grim Dawn, Path of Exile.
Geneforge.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
Shin Megami Tensei, though you can only play as a summoner and your summons take place of regular party members.

Elminage Original and Elminage Gothic have a Summoner class, which can capture and summon monsters that work as a 7th party member. In Gothic they can take an ability which lets them convert summons into full-fledged adventurers and fill your party with those.

And if you’re feeling brave, there’s always Wizardry IV.

V_K

Arcane
Not quite an RPG but an RPG/RTS hybrid, but Magic&Mayhem is all about summons.

Geneforge, when playing as a shaper. And speaking of Vogel, starting from Avernum 2 there's a spell that allows to store souls of creatures you've fought and summon them later.

Shadowrun games basically have two versions - the classic summoner (Shaman) and its technological counterpart (Rigger). The summoning system itself is also fairly interesting since you can either use consumable summoning fetishes or summon spirits from sources in the environment.

On the older and more obscure front, The Summoner - as the title suggests. You are limited to one summon at a time, but those can be quite game-changing.

EldarEldrad

Savant
In Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup you can play as a full-time summoner/necromancer. Also, you can start as Hill Orc, become Beogh worshipper and lead your own army of orcs into the depths.

In Elona you can summon not only monsters but literal gods but not in the Final Fantasy way, you summon your literal god you worship in their incarnate form to follow you around and destroy everything lol

Codex Year of the Donut
Enderal, I don't like the combat in the game so I played the game as a summoner.
You not only summon constructs to fight for you, but you can summon weapons too. I used a conjured bow to help my elemental dude fight.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
  • Geneforge 1 - A game ALL about magical created life
  • Diablo 2 - Necromancers can be offensive dark magicians or summoners
  • NWN2 - WITH SPELL FIXES summon spells and many others are trash without that mod
  • Pathfinder Kingmaker
  • Pathfinder Wrath of The righteous - You can even become a freaking Lich in that game
  • Mount & Blade + Phantasy Calradia
  • Mount & Blade + LEgacy of the Dragon
  • Mount & Blade + Chronicles of might & magic
  • NWN1 + PRC
  • Gothic 2 + RETURNING as a necromancer aka Xardas apprentice.
  • VtMB + Antitribu as a Giovanni
  • Arcanum - Not so great in "quantity" department, but you can build a steampunk army(tech) or summon a lot of creatures(magick)
There are more but this games are those which I remember.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom