Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Quake maps

Wunderbar

Arcane
Sjukob Mouse5 is unbound, hit F4 to set.

Riskbreaker

EoE aimed at the look and feel of another expansion episode, sorta like Dimension of the Past from a couple of years ago. So the maps sizes, level of detail, monster counts were meant to be closer to some late 90s mapset than something you'd expect today, especially from some of those AD behemoths. And I'd say that it was more or less successful at that. Greenwood's map, the one with the moonlit Greek temple at the top, probably looked the best whilst still being able to pass for something from late 90s, early 00s.
The final map sorta broke with that. It did pull some tricks in order to feel larger than it really is, so it's not like the guy behind it didn't try, but it very much felt like something that would be more at home in AD environment.

Sjukob

Arcane
EoE aimed at the look and feel of another expansion episode, sorta like Dimension of the Past from a couple of years ago. So the maps sizes, level of detail, monster counts were meant to be closer to some late 90s mapset than something you'd expect today, especially from some of those AD behemoths. And I'd say that it was more or less successful at that. Greenwood's map, the one with the moonlit Greek temple at the top, probably looked the best whilst still being able to pass for something from late 90s, early 00s.
The final map sorta broke with that. It did pull some tricks in order to feel larger than it really is, so it's not like the guy behind it didn't try, but it very much felt like something that would be more at home in AD environment.
I see. Are there any maps for Quake that are hard? I'm getting a feeling that Quake is generally easier to play than Doom, the monsters aren't nearly as deadly and you get more movement options. But I've only played custom maps that tried stay closer to the vanilla Quake experience, at least their authors said so, Dwell is the one that deviated the most from this. I barely have any experience with Quake, but I know some wads for Doom where higher difficulties were like a kick in the teeth if you weren't experienced enough: Hell revealed and Stardate series, Sunlust, Speed of Doom and the others. Are there any maps like these for Quake?

UserNamer

Cipher
I see. Are there any maps for Quake that are hard? I'm getting a feeling that Quake is generally easier to play than Doom, the monsters aren't nearly as deadly and you get more movement options. But I've only played custom maps that tried stay closer to the vanilla Quake experience, at least their authors said so, Dwell is the one that deviated the most from this. I barely have any experience with Quake, but I know some wads for Doom where higher difficulties were like a kick in the teeth if you weren't experienced enough: Hell revealed and Stardate series, Sunlust, Speed of Doom and the others. Are there any maps like these for Quake?
There are super tough quake maps. I remember warpspasm was intense on nightmare and had this habit of spawning a few rotweilers behind you after every difficult fight (so if you had low life you would get killed) There were other that were super tough but can't remember the names.

Warpspasm was pretty cool as well if I remember correctly

robinox

Educated
Personally I really dislike spawning enemies, I much prefer lived-in levels. For example the Raven keep map that was posted before, despite its obvious flaws, didn't spawn on me anything: I really appreciated that.
IIRC both Dwell EP1 and EoE resort to the spawning trick abundantly, which lessened my overall enjoyment. Another thing I disliked was the fact that IIRC the final bosses for both packages were impossibly hard compered to anything that came before them, I just don't understand the point of that insane difficulty spike. But aside from those aspects, that concern my personal tastes rather than an objective evaluation, I though they were both very well done packages.

Riskbreaker

Eh, it's sorta hard to have to have things in proper perspective after so many years of playing this stuff. Back when I played it I'd certainly say that Warpspasm was tough as nails but I've no bloody idea how it'd feel today. It's been years since I've played it.
I can think of this, which was skacky trying to emulate the style of newer Doom slaughterwads, both their gameplay and their visuals, in Quake:
https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/quck_demo2.html

Other than that, I can think of individual maps from various jams rather than of entire jams or episodes. Pinchy's map from this year's Halloween Jam actually reminded me of Warpspasm, at least in difficulty and toughness if not in playing in the way Warpspasm did.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
When I think difficult in Doom all I think of are slaughterwads, or certain slaughtermaps in many of the popular of the megaWADs over the years.
Let's not forget Quake is basically the cradle of 3D mapping, and as such the mapping community has evolved differently than Doom's mapping community has. It's funny how many Quake mappers I've come across that work in architecture or at the very least are passionate about it.

Sjukob

Arcane
Eh, it's sorta hard to have to have things in proper perspective after so many years of playing this stuff. Back when I played it I'd certainly say that Warpspasm was tough as nails but I've no bloody idea how it'd feel today. It's been years since I've played it.
I can think of this, which was skacky trying to emulate the style of newer Doom slaughterwads, both their gameplay and their visuals, in Quake:
https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/quck_demo2.html

Other than that, I can think of individual maps from various jams rather than of entire jams or episodes. Pinchy's map from this year's Halloween Jam actually reminded me of Warpspasm, at least in difficulty and toughness if not in playing in the way Warpspasm did.
Well, that's a start at least, I'll check it out some day.

When I think difficult in Doom all I think of are slaughterwads, or certain slaughtermaps in many of the popular of the megaWADs over the years.
Massive monster counts are not necessary, although yes, such wads are usually known for their difficulty. But on top of my head I can name: Doom 404, Darkest Room, Struggle: Antaresian Legacy, Paradise, dead.wire, unloved. Those wads didn't have high monster counts, by Doom standarts at least, and could still kick your ass.

Let's not forget Quake is basically the cradle of 3D mapping, and as such the mapping community has evolved differently than Doom's mapping community has. It's funny how many Quake mappers I've come across that work in architecture or at the very least are passionate about it.
Eh, can't say that it is something I understand. I would've been glad if mappers actually prioritized gameplay above all. It seems that I have already tried everything: Build Engine games, Unreal, Quake and even some of the recent retro FPS. It's mostly the same picture everywhere, pretty graphics, but the gameplay is way too relaxed, I tend to lose interest quickly because of this. And there's nothing else besides Doom that can give me a good kick, and despite spending a lot of time on that game I'm not even good at it or a hardcore player, really. But I've always thought that it is one of the appeal of the games, when they provide you with a good challenge and you can always come back and improve on something, makes the fun last longer.

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61507

Ter Shibboleth - A New Quake Episode

Posted by KenChennar [68.84.236.179] on 2017/09/01 19:36:21

Presenting a new Quake custom episode, Ter Shibboleth. You will traverse through new environments including a tropical hotel resort, a far east structure nestled on the edge of a cliff, and a western mining town. Each map is designed to be as non-linear as possible, so don't be afraid to explore and take different routes as you progress. While each map can be played with a shotgun start, the episode was designed to be played from start to finish. Saving periodically is encouraged, you will face hard encounters.

This episode MUST be played with the customized Quakespasm engine that was included in the release of ad_sepulcher (Quakespasm 0.92.2-qss-r7-admod). It has been included in this .zip as well for convienience. Any other engine has not been tested and probably will not work as intended. The next official Quakespasm release will be version 0.93.0, and will have the ability to run these maps without issue, so you have the option of using that instead once it is out.

While also stated in the readme, I will repeat it here because it is important.
sv_protocol 999 must be used at all times. Likewise, gl_farclip must be set to 100000 or higher. Quake's soundtrack is also recommended. All skill settings are available. You will more than likely encounter framerate drops when looking at far distant scenery. I only hope it will not hinder your experience when playing.

Map sources and texture wads used are included in the .zip for your convienience.

Demos are always appreciated, but not mandatory.

I give great special thanks to EricW for assisting me along the way with this episode, for if it were not for his expertise and development tools these maps simply would not exist.

http://www.quaketastic.com/files/single_player/Ter Shibboleth.zip

Please enjoy the episode and be sure to share your thoughts. I look forward to hearing from you!
I've been playing the expanded re-release of this. Been hearing some nasty things about it from some corners but I'm actually enjoying it. It really, really reminds me of some of Tronyn's stuff. Mainly his Unforgiven and Soul of Evil 2. Not that it only uses the same (drake) enemies and weaponry I but the sizes, non-linear layouts of maps and encounter design are very Tronyn-ish. Even the visuals have this feel of Quake releases from mid to late 00s only on a larger scale and with more modern trickery. Just finished the third map, the sort cliffside Asian temple one, it really could pass for Tronyn map. Pretty hard and less than generous in the progression department but overall pretty enjoyable. Fourth map seems promising so far, some sort of vast surrealist hellscape.

robinox

Educated
The maps by Entsoy from HalloweenJam3 and XmasJam3 are particularly unique, I really liked them. I hope he'll do a big ass map with the same vibe.
Of course the rest of the pack is pretty great too, I'm truly amazed by the work of the Quake community.

Yet another jam folks, with 15 new maps.
https://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=62011
15 brand new Q1SPs to celebrate what is allegedly the most depressing day of the year! (Two days ago, not the Biden inauguration)
Does Quakespasm-spiked run Quoth?

Just started playing Quake mods and it made me remember how much I love Quake. The aesthetic of it all really shines in Arcane Dimensions. All these different environments ripped away from where they belong in the universe and mangled by Lovecraftian evil. It's the best.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Just started playing Quake mods and it made me remember how much I love Quake. The aesthetic of it all really shines in Arcane Dimensions. All these different environments ripped away from where they belong in the universe and mangled by Lovecraftian evil. It's the best.

Bro, honestly, I'm amazed no one applied Quake-style environmental storytelling to RPGs yet. Morrowind has very little of that (Daedric helm hidden on a ledge 10 meters up in a cave, etc).

ironmask

Arbiter

Haven't played this new fan episode yet but from the screenshots and gameplay videos I have seen it looks nice.

Sjukob

Arcane
So I've played through Alkaline, it's a well done and enjoyable to play package.

At first I didn't like the new enemies, they seemed dull and overpowered to me, but as I've become more familiar with the new additions it became much better, although I still found some of them to be badly designed:

1) Blue enforcers with shields. I just can't stand enemies with shields, in other games too. Allowing enemy to dictate the pace of combat and forcing the player to dance around them is never a good idea.
2) Big robots with dual rocket launchers - way too much health.
3) Flesh robot (Armagon reskin?) - similar problem, but even more bloated.

Alkaline uses new enemies pretty heavily and some of the classic monsters are a rare sight. There are only a couple of fiends, some scrags, no zombies at all and only one shambler in his original form. While playing this, I have completely forgot about vores until one of maps (Core Meltdown) dropped a pair of them on my head, I also never realised that there were no spawns until I sat down to write this post, funny, nobody misses those two.

Overal, the maps were finely crafted, both visually and gameplay wise, the only map I would call outright bad was Dire Pipes. Just an awful and boring map with bad encounter design, dull visuals, that look the same to each other, and absent music, the only good thing about it is the massive fight near the end, other than that it's a complete turd all around.

I don't have much experience with Quake yet, but I think the difficulty of Alkaline was way above average, I would say that it's at least as hard as Dwell, may be even harder thanks to all the new monsters. I don't mind it though, I find that Quake is an easy game in general, so I welcome additional challenge. Tellus Terminus seemed like the hardest map in the pack to me, don't know why Foundation for Corruption gives you a warning about it's supposedly brutal difficulty, it's a good map, but there isn't anything outstanding about it's difficulty, may be some of the testers complained about something, I have no idea.

As for my favourite, I personally like Dancing in The Golden Sun the most out of all, I think in all aspects combined, like gameplay, visuals, music and other things it is the most polished and well done map in a pack, although Tellus Terminus was is incredible map as well.

Screenshots:
quakespasm-2021-06-29-22-23-52-91.png

quakespasm-2021-06-25-21-16-22-58.png

quakespasm-2021-06-29-21-39-46-22.png

quakespasm-2021-06-28-23-04-27-36.png

quakespasm-2021-06-27-22-18-14-14.png

quakespasm-2021-06-28-23-10-35-66.png

quakespasm-2021-06-29-21-26-03-45.png

quakespasm-2021-06-29-22-15-34-04.png

iqzulk

Augur
Quake's
e2m2 <- Lady in Black
e2m3 <- Echoes in the Dark
e2m4 <- Suicidal Man
e2m5 <- Wonderworld
e2m6 (uncut version from beta included) <- Easy Livin'
There is also this codephrase associated with Camelotism: Perfection Fades in Eyes Imperfect (counter argued with Not Exactly) - which has nothing to do with Uriah Heep whatsoever.

Levels aforementioned can be treated as grimoire on such, Camelotism that is, nevermind.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom