Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Caim

Arcane
Everything that one of the Souls games did right the others did wrong. If you were to take the best parts from every game and add them together you can get something truly special. I douct that Elden Ring is going to be the solution, but I hope it will come close.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I already see in the comments people asking for a return of Patches. Like, again? You didn't find it insulting to have him show up in DS3 not once, but TWICE?

Patches, like the Moonlight Greatsword, have appeared in every From game since the King's Field series

Never understood the appeal of DS1's interlinked levels,

Makes for good exploration and interesting world design

I mean the world isn't coherent anyway

Always felt it made the world feel tinier than levels you only see a glimpse of but don't explore to the very borders. DS1 interconnectedness makes it seem like there's a whole kingdom.. the size of a medium sized city.

Honestly for me it was the other way around
As you can see from the intro video and some parts of the Undead Burg, the area the player explores in-game is supposedly just one district of a larger city
So DS always gave me the impression Lordran is a fuckhuge city

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Dark Souls 3 was really really bad. This one? It's going to be much worse.
Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 3 should never had been made in the first place...
Dark Souls 1 isn't even a finished game. They released the dlc, but couldn't been bothered to finish the main game content so even after all the dlcs and rereleases we still have empty locations with placeholder enemies...
Dark Souls 3 is PAINFULLY derivative and also a bit pathetic, considering they caved in to demands of the worst part of their fanbase: "please make exactly the same game with no originality whatsoever and no scary pvp men".
The only game in series which was finished and wasn't scraped clean of any remnants of originality is Dark Souls 2..

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nobody sane could actually advocate that DS2 is better than other games in anything.
U what?

DS1 and BB have a better vibe, Sekiro has a better combat and DS1/DeS have better levels.

But DS2 does everything else better than all the other FS games - has better builds, PvP, covenants, ascetics, NG+, dual wielding (power stancing), poise, armors, respec, buffs/infusions, magic, DLCs - do I have to go on?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e...-sequel/1100-6493081/#comments-block-33561237

Elden Ring World-Builder George RR Martin Thinks It's A Dark Souls Sequel

Martin also said that he hasn't actively worked on Elden Ring in "several years."

By Otto Kratky on June 18, 2021 at 1:18PM PDT

15 Comments
Chicago news network WTTW, Martin seems to misrepresent the game as a sequel to Dark Souls. It seems even the people who make From Software's games don't completely understand them.

After being asked how working on a video game was different for him, Martin said, "Well, it actually is considerably different. I've played some video games. I'm not a big video gamer. But the game is called The Elden Ring, and it's a sequel to a video game that came out a few years ago called Dark Souls, and it came out of Japan."

While it would be interesting if Elden Ring were a sequel to Dark Souls, that is likely not the case. Later on in the same interview, Martin spoke about his work on the game specifically, saying that he was brought in to build the game's world. "My work on it [Elden Ring] was actually done years ago," said Martin. "These games, they're like movies, they take a long time to develop. Basically they wanted a world created to set the game in, they wanted worldbuilding."

While we don't currently know what inspirations Martin took while designing the world of Elden Ring, it's incredibly unlikely that he would base it on the previous Dark Souls titles. Instead, since he was left to his own devices, it's more likely that he made a wholly original world for the game. Elden Ring will differ from Dark Souls in terms of gameplay at least, with director Hidetaka Miyazaki saying it would build on Dark Souls' mechanics.

Elden Ring was revealed during the Summer Game Fest and is currently slated to release on January 21, 2022 on PC, PS4, Xbox One, PS5, and Xbox Series X|S. A free upgrade will be available for PlayStation players while Xbox users will benefit from Smart Delivery support for the game. While much of its gameplay is still a mystery, we do know that players will be able to explore the world of Elden Ring either alone or with others in jolly cooperation.

ChaDargo

Arcane
Dark Souls 3 was really really bad. This one? It's going to be much worse.
Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 3 should never had been made in the first place...
Dark Souls 1 isn't even a finished game. They released the dlc, but couldn't been bothered to finish the main game content so even after all the dlcs and rereleases we still have empty locations with placeholder enemies...
Dark Souls 3 is PAINFULLY derivative and also a bit pathetic, considering they caved in to demands of the worst part of their fanbase: "please make exactly the same game with no originality whatsoever and no scary pvp men".
The only game in series which was finished and wasn't scraped clean of any remnants of originality is Dark Souls 2..

You meant to say 2 and 3, then finish saying 1 was the only good one, right? ...

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
but those were TOO BASED for dark souls 3 so god emperor miyazooki had to remove them

I don't think you understand how DS3 came into being.

It's not that Miyazaki made a conscious decision not to include that stuff, it's that Dark Souls 3 is basically a quick reskin of Bloodborne and anything that would have taken too long to implement got scrapped.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e...-sequel/1100-6493081/#comments-block-33561237

Elden Ring World-Builder George RR Martin Thinks It's A Dark Souls Sequel

Martin also said that he hasn't actively worked on Elden Ring in "several years."

By Otto Kratky on June 18, 2021 at 1:18PM PDT

15 Comments
Chicago news network WTTW, Martin seems to misrepresent the game as a sequel to Dark Souls. It seems even the people who make From Software's games don't completely understand them.

After being asked how working on a video game was different for him, Martin said, "Well, it actually is considerably different. I've played some video games. I'm not a big video gamer. But the game is called The Elden Ring, and it's a sequel to a video game that came out a few years ago called Dark Souls, and it came out of Japan."

While it would be interesting if Elden Ring were a sequel to Dark Souls, that is likely not the case. Later on in the same interview, Martin spoke about his work on the game specifically, saying that he was brought in to build the game's world. "My work on it [Elden Ring] was actually done years ago," said Martin. "These games, they're like movies, they take a long time to develop. Basically they wanted a world created to set the game in, they wanted worldbuilding."

While we don't currently know what inspirations Martin took while designing the world of Elden Ring, it's incredibly unlikely that he would base it on the previous Dark Souls titles. Instead, since he was left to his own devices, it's more likely that he made a wholly original world for the game. Elden Ring will differ from Dark Souls in terms of gameplay at least, with director Hidetaka Miyazaki saying it would build on Dark Souls' mechanics.

Elden Ring was revealed during the Summer Game Fest and is currently slated to release on January 21, 2022 on PC, PS4, Xbox One, PS5, and Xbox Series X|S. A free upgrade will be available for PlayStation players while Xbox users will benefit from Smart Delivery support for the game. While much of its gameplay is still a mystery, we do know that players will be able to explore the world of Elden Ring either alone or with others in jolly cooperation.

Apparently Rape Rape Martin did nothing but put his name on the check he received, to allow the use of his name for marketing.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Nobody sane could actually advocate that DS2 is better than other games in anything.

DS2 is the one with the better level design and gameplay out of the bunch
DeS however is the one with the best atmosphere and exploration
DS1 is the intermediary experience between those two games

And DS3 has nothing, except the spectacle of Bloodborne...

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Apparently Rape Rape Martin did nothing but put his name on the check he received, to allow the use of his name for marketing.
Thank God the game is not polluted with his disgusting Western sensibilities.

The world would be a better place with less of his influence spreading.

Shitposter
Majula.
Home.

actually for me home was IRON KEEP BRIDGE
BreakableFrigidIzuthrush-max-1mb.gif

Caim

Arcane
You know what, I hope that they take weapon durability out of the game entirely. In DS1 it was just a soul tax, in DS2 it wore down some weapons so fast that you needed several, but you weren't given the resources to keep your backups in line with the rest and in DS3 it was just... there. In DS1 and 2 it was also the tax on your special attacks, which DS3 solved nicely by having them use FP instead, but it just does not do anything. The only weapon that did it even remotely right was Santier's Spear, which became a better weapon if you wore it down entirely, but for the rest it is useless.

SumDrunkGuy

The fact that Dark Souls 2 generates the most discussion automatically means it's the best one. Fags will disagree but they can go git fucked.

Perkel

Arcane
The fact that Dark Souls 2 generates the most discussion automatically means it's the best one. Fags will disagree but they can go git fucked.

Dark Souls 2 dudes are like faggots. They can't keep to themselves that they like shit. They need to spread that shit around.

I'm not wrong.
10,240. This game released 3 years later.
And you wont see Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne pass the 400 page threshold.

DS1 was released years after official worldwide release and had very shitty port with online that barely worked and was mostly unknown because codex is mainly pc forum and not many people here played DS or DaS in first place unlike DS2 where contingent of DS people here was strong.

Most of DS2 threads posters are Iron Bridge faggots who spend years of their life on that bridge missing the whole point of game and claiming this is what DS is.

Much like faggots they are degenerates that should be put out with hot iron and thanfully muhyazaki did it because he saw what honorabru iron bridge faggotry looks like.

Somewhere out there are still faggots who drink their estuses before the fight and scream bloody murder when i gank on them with full estus flasks. Their screams are music to my ears.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
Never understood the appeal of DS1's interlinked levels, I mean the world isn't coherent anyway and you get fast travel later on (Which makes the first part of the game even more confusing because you just have more tedious travel to go through.). Interconnected design I guess can be explored in later playthroughs for just screwing around.
That's because you're you, smaug. It's okay. You'll grow older. And I was going to say wiser, but... probably not. In any case, at some point you'll get it. Somehow.
Or he probably cares more about gameplay than lore and immersion.
My man, if you don't think taking a random elevator in Undead Parish and ending up in Firelink Shrine is the tightest shit then get out of my face
No, it's just an elevator. DeS had a great hub system, why replace that with something worse?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom