Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Archquest Arena - tactical RPG with tabletop rules

Ninjerk

Arcane
Not sure what your race->class breakdown is, but you could further differentiate them (if you're going to go with an in-depth strategic layer) by how exactly they can make resting a safer (if not completely safe) proposition. The caster-type class can magically ward a door at the cost of a low-level spell slot, maybe a dwarf could bar a single door, a rogue type could make a lock inoperable/conceal the party, etc.

Pathfinder:Kingmaker has something similar where Octavia can cast an Alarm spell. Resting isn't really dangerous in that game though. I do like the idea of doing different things at resting time. PF2 has non-magical healing through the medicine skill, so that's another option for character to do things when resting.
Yeah, I thought there was some spell for resting in PF:KM, but I haven't played it in awhile and I didn't play it for very long when I did. I've been meaning to get back to it.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Game looks great, but has there ever been a gamer that was happy of finding rats as an opponent in a game? Like, "wow, just another shitty critter to waste time on, cool! ".

Ninjerk

Arcane
Game looks great, but has there ever been a gamer that was happy of finding rats as an opponent in a game? Like, "wow, just another shitty critter to waste time on, cool! ".
Maybe if there are skills that let you cleave down groups of them easily

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
You should request to move this thread to General RPG Discussion, since you've got a store page and trailer up. Time to start putting your project out there!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The font would benefit from being easier to read, an option like what Pierre put into Knights of the Chalice would be nice :M

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
The font would benefit from being easier to read, an option like what Pierre put into Knights of the Chalice would be nice :M

The game actually runs in a 960x540 framebuffer with integer upscaling so a Full HD screen will show exactly 4 pixels for every 1 being rendered. I might have the option to have it render at full size, and with a better font :)

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Speaking about race-as-class approach, any chance of turning dwarves into battle-cleric archetype?

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
There are dwarves, so I had to "check a look", and it's good.

AILm2Hv.png

Some epic beards there! /respect

The number of skills is impressive. Even though some of them seem redundant (occultism vs arcana?), and some share the same description (religion = society), it would be cool if all of them will have their uses in the game.

The plot is enough to get the things going in a dungeon crawl.
05xpHo0.png

And the crawling part is very solid, with skill checks, hidden caches and traps. In the end it would depend on the quality of the dungeons themselves.
The funny thing with the trap is that I failed to disarm it and the only option I had was to move forward knowing that I will trigger it.
nxWeK1z.png

I liked the combat too. There are some bugs, or at least differences with 3Ed/PF rules, but I'm not sure if it's worth reporting them so early in development.

Munchkin's Powergamer's dream - wielding a two-handed weapon and a shield at the same time!
viZUIPF.png

Dual-wielding is in too.
NElvDck.png

And that's how you deal with them rats. It could have only been more satisfying if it was a spider.
Qz10EUu.png

Sinda(?) is pretty. Too bad, I could not get her in the party yet.
All in all, very promising. Wishlisted on Steam.

Dorateen

Arcane
Another Dwarf reporting for dungeon crawling.

rC5aYsv.jpg

KcwTmHT.jpg

Killed some kobolds, bashed through a wall and took their stuff. Also freed Frendel. I think I noticed a small glitch, the arrow on the mini map does not always point in the direction I'm moving. Usually happened going from a hallway to a room. It would then correct itself. Other than that, early impression is this is pretty solid.

In the final version of the game, will the player have the option to create their own party? I was pleased to see there was a choice to leave Frendel, so he wasn't forced to join the party.

bionicman

Liturgist
I've played the demo. Phenomenal work so far, The Avatar. The game looks great and plays great. Also, I love the ambient sound, it gives me Fallout vibes.

Some feedback that could maybe help (minor glitches/bugs):
- Shields can't be un-equipped and can't be dragged from loot to inventory (can only be dragged from inventory to equipment).
- In combat, when clicking on (selecting) the aoe melee attack ability of the warrior (power attack) it shows the range of the ability but when clicking on (selecting) the strike ability afterwards, the aoe range is still shown even though strike has no aoe range.
- I've noticed sometimes that the arrows on the minimap which show the direction the character is facing are sometimes showing the inverse of the direction the character is actually moving in, seems to be only for left/right directions but could be wrong. (Dorateen was quick to notice it before me)
- After opening the menu (by pressing ESC) and clicking on the save button and then saving the game, when the game is saved and I'm back in the game the keyboard controls for movement (wasd) are disabled until I open inventory or some other menu.
- I could walk through the beds in that room where you rescue Frendel.

Some suggestions/ideas:
- It would be nice when mousing-over items in inventory to see a tooltip of the already equipped item of that type for comparison.
- This would probably ruin the aesthetic you've got going, but I prefer seeing HP bars with numbers instead of just numbers for the indicators of HP.

Anyways, great demo. You should definitely put it on Steam.

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
In the final version of the game, will the player have the option to create their own party? I was pleased to see there was a choice to leave Frendel, so he wasn't forced to join the party.

Yes, I plan for it to be like Pillars of Eternity, or Kingmaker, where you have NPCs to choose from, or recruit mercenaries you make.

I've played the demo. Phenomenal work so far, The Avatar. The game looks great and plays great. Also, I love the ambient sound, it gives me Fallout vibes.

Thanks! I think I'm going to expand on the demo and fix the bugs. Steam should be doing another game fest in October, so I will aim to get another demo out then.

Hello friend. I got some problem running the exe. Just letting you know it got quarantined.

Thanks for letting me know. It's a false positive. Are you running an up-to-date version of AVG?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Thanks Nortar for the feedback.
I've only gotten around 30 downloads of the demo:( I know the marketing is terrible. Maybe I should put the demo on steam?

Yes, and keep building up them hype too. Marketing is a bitch but you must have a pipeline for it so that people don't lose interest.

I thought it looked nice when I saw the blobber parts but it really blew me away when it switched to turn based isometric combat, this looks amazeballs

And I like the level of ultraviolence of the world, where when something dies it just explodes

What kind of stupid question is that? Killing rats in a basement is a time honored tradition if you don't like it you're not fit to be an adventurer get the fuck out of the tavern go back to being a dairy farmer

Ninjerk

Arcane
I haven't played the demo yet, but I kind of wish the ultra-violence was something that wouldn't happen all the time (a la BG series chunking on crit)--like, as a reward of sorts.

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
I haven't played the demo yet, but I kind of wish the ultra-violence was something that wouldn't happen all the time (a la BG series chunking on crit)--like, as a reward of sorts.

That is the case in the demo. It is changed from the initial video I made so that you only gib on crits, except for the giant rats who are labeled "always gib" because I didn't make a ragdoll/death animation for them.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Amazing game. Any list about the spells available? There is necromancy in this game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom