Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Was Dark Souls 2 the greatest game that From Software ever made?

Was Dark Souls 2 better than everything?

• Yes

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • It was better than everything

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • No. There has never been a better game than Dark Souls 2

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters
Shitposter
Yeah the only negative I remember about DKS2 is that there were kinda a lot of dud bosses. Like that fat slug dude who kinda just stands there and rolls around every now and then and dies lmao. or the "you're gonna fight the same boss that you fought earlier, but now there's TWO and in a SMALLER ROOM" meme fights

on the other hand the spider boss was FUCKIN SIIIIICK
ATSLhw3.png

yet another design miyashit cut from souls because he was afraid he wouldn't be able to sell the game to pussy arachnophobes

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
yet another design miyashit cut from souls because he was afraid he wouldn't be able to sell the game to pussy arachnophobes

Wat?
jYB7L1q.jpg

DeS boss Armor Spider

Z4KpGUk.jpg

DS1 boss Chaos Witch Queelag

nvrjjQI.jpg

Bloodborne boss Rom the Vacuous Spider
4pEvGMf.jpg

Bloodborne Nightmare Apostles

d5EZhJ8.jpg

Bloodborne Patches the spider

IaibN3h.jpg

Dark Souls 3 Deep Accursed, non respawning mini boss like creatures

VpzfaCh.jpg

Dark Souls 3 basic monster Sewer Centipede aka the really weird spider like thing.

Creepy crawlies are a soulsborne mainstay. They're in every games.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Ds2 is a game that mixes very generic and very weird in uneven proportions. It has its charm but you should just launch any other Souls game to see the abyss of difference.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Yes because it's most similar to the King's Field series. Definitely some questionable decisions here and there and the aesthetic was clearly ruined after they removed the lighting system last minute but overall it was great. I really wanna play through it again but I'm gonna wait for that lighting artist guy to release his overhaul mod that looks amazing and makes torches mandatory like how it was in the beta.
https://www.patreon.com/stayd

Why was the lighting system removed anyway? Frame rate?

ADL

Prophet
Frame rate on the PS3/360 consoles supposedly which is strange because it ran pretty well during the technical tests I played in October 2013 about half a year before they released it in March 2014. In February PS3/360 gameplay started coming out and suddenly the lighting system the game was built around was completely gutted. Not sure why it didn't make a return for SOTFS which was next gen-only.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Because it ran like shit on playstation 3.
Here's a build of DS2 that had parts of the lighting system not carved out yet, it was released as a network test demo for PS3 :

The framerate is utterly abysmal. There's no doubt it ran fine on PC and the dev's machines but they just couldn't find a way to make it work on console.

It has thee best weapon selection and abilities, but the dogshit art direction, atrocious writing, gank squads, tons of small quality of life issues, several useless bosses, soul memory, pvp in general, false promises, and controller deadzones filter a lot of people. Truly it is the Dark Souls of Dark Souls.

curds

Magister
I appreciated ds2 trying to do things differently after ds1, as opposed to ds3's constant rehashing of the first game. but aside from that, it's the most flawed of the series. Main flaw for me was the weird disjointed world design after the ultra satisfying inter-connectivity of ds1. Lordran felt like it could be a real place (as far as fantasy video game worlds go), whereas Drangleic felt like a theme park. To be fair, ds3 somewhat suffers from this, too. But nowhere near the same degree. ds2 had a bunch of other weird design decisions too, like the weird bloodshot filter in every boss cutscene. Also way more bullshit, kinda unfair moments compared to the other games (excluding DeS).

There were some cool things, too, though. And at the end of the day ds2 is still way better than most other action rpgs out there.

However, if I could only take DS game with me to a deserted island, I'd take Ds2. Not the best in the series, but it was the most variety which is nice. (especially after coming back from ds3 with its grand total of like 10 armour sets, and repetetive atmosphere).

Last edited:

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Dark Souls 2 has the best keyboard controls and weapon variety. For PVP, I'd say it is the best because it has the best lock on and PVP covenant. But best overall? I'll have to finish 1 and 3 to say. DS2 certainly seems to have the most linear level design and enemy design though.

Hyperion

Arcane
DeS will forever be my favorite because of how well it nailed the 3rd person dungeon crawler feel with things like Inventory Capacity and Farmable consumables, level layouts, odd challenges like killing the Dragon in 1-2 with a bow, and distant bonfires. Plus, it came at a time when Japanese games were at their nadir, challenge was nonexistent, and QTEs ruled the land. It was the only "tough" game out in too long, and the glacial pace helped nail the feeling of there being terror around every corner. Combat was simplistic, but was really just a better version of Ocarina of Time's Z-targeting system.

DS2 was most similar to DeS in terms of the world being a set of stages despite it being open-world. Its biggest downfall wasn't so much the level design, but there were just too many bonfires. I don't care about meaningless nonsense like a Lava Castle floating above a Valley full of Fart Clouds. Cool shit is cool shit regardless of how unbelievable they seem in terms of being linked. The slower combat just made more sense on the whole for a game built around exploration and dangers around every corner, and made rape packs easier to handle, since fighting multiple enemies was far less hectic with less action happening at once. The DLCs were fantastic, of course, and I loved the entire theme of decay, and the focus on the effects of Hollowong, but the additional story content was terrible. The "Scholar of the First Sin" is just a smouldering pile of garbage. The final boss is just....New Jersey. Nice job, Miyazaki.

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

whereas Drangleic felt like a theme park. To be fair, ds3 somewhat suffers from this, too. But nowhere near the same degree.

Nigga what? Dark Souls 3 had jackshit for exploration. It was just as linear as a Call of Doody game. And the environments were just rehashes of everything in earlier From Soft games. Dark Souls 3, while still good obviously, is their least inspired game. It has jackshit on Dark Souls 2. Dark Souls 2 shits in 3's mouth.

curds

Magister
Nigga what? Dark Souls 3 had jackshit for exploration. It was just as linear as a Call of Doody game.
You need to work on your reading comprehension. I wasn't talking about exploration, but the way the world is layed out illogically in ds2.

And the environments were just rehashes of everything in earlier From Soft games.
That's literally what I said.

Dark Souls 3, while still good obviously, is their least inspired game.
I agree. again, that's basically what I said.

It has jackshit on Dark Souls 2
It does have shit on ds2. Yes ds2 was more "adventurous" (dont know if "inspired" is the right word, exactly), but a lot of the new ideas and additions weren't good. So, in my opinion, one thing ds3 has over 2 is that it trimmed off a lot of that stuff. Yes, the result was a blander game, and the callbacks and fan service to ds1 were lame coming from the fresh feel of ds2, but ds3 was more polished in return.

My overview of the series:

DeS: Primitive beginning to the series, awesome atmosphere but some rough edges in the gameplay.
DaS1: The masterpiece. Perfected the formula of DeS. Fixed the flaws, improved upon what was already there, didn't fuck with anything that didn't need to be fucked with.
DaS2: Tried a lot of new things. Some good some bad. Refreshing variety of environments, large amount of equip and spells to play with. But also stupid shit like pharros lockstones, bloodshot boss filters. Retarded, illogical world design. Still a great action RPG.
DaS3: Uninspired, as you said, is the best way to describe. More polished than ds2, but also more streamlined. Good game. Haven't finished it because every time I try to play I think: Why not just play ds1?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom