Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd rather fight Jingu than that another fag with the gun on the roof.
That guy is basically Jingu without the backup though.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, beat Ryuji for the last time. Whatever I expected, I certainly didn't expect the game to close with a metal song on the credits.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Oh god the not so final roof fight was sure a massive pain in the ass, burned all my ginseng.

Well, kiwami is done.

xkWKri7.jpg

Thas was... mediocre, i can see they "remaked" very little from a ps2 game.

But holy damn

Everyone died lol
Even nishihomo died WTF

This was a "no sequel story".

Well, kiwami 2 in download, time to spin majima again.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Ok started kiwami 2, is me or the new engine is a bit of a unoptimized mess on pc?
It runs fine but holy damn the GPU temp, can't have that during current heatwave.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Ok started kiwami 2, is me or the new engine is a bit of a unoptimized mess on pc?
It runs fine but holy damn the GPU temp, can't have that during current heatwave.

It was much much much worse on release. I actually had to refund it because it was crashing constantly and I was dipping under 50fps.

Also, playing on Hard. Why?

Nirvash

Liturgist
Hardest difficulty, always, for everything.

This game use the cpu less than league of legends, is all on the gpu, that's the problem.
Gonna try some settings.

It didn't usually get that hot for me and summer is pretty damn hot here.

Eh, i have the back of my pc pointed in my direction.
Don't ask why.

Jinn

Arcane
Because boss fights just become a tedious and absolutely annoying slog?

And also the only thing approaching challenge in most of the games, where resource management and character progression have any meaning.

Challenge is the number one problem with the series, and if I can squeeze any amount out of the games, it's not only worth it it but also much more fun.

And the boss battles really aren't that much of a slog unless you completely suck ass.

Also part of the reason why I actually enjoyed the block-heavy combat on Hard in Yakuza 3. Some of the most challenging fights in the series.

Ivan

Arcane
Wait, why wouldn't you play a Yukaza game on Hard?

What are you on about, I dropped Goda in less than two minutes. No one gave me any trouble.

Note: I was only miffed when playing on Hard in two stances: Kiwami 1 rooftop boss + Yakuza 4 rooftop boss that functions much in the same way. Aside from those, I recommend playing on Hard. Oh, there was also that one spear dude in Y3. Yeah, these are few and far between.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Wait, why wouldn't you play a Yukaza game on Hard?

What are you on about, I dropped Goda in less than two minutes. No one gave me any trouble.

And also the only thing approaching challenge in most of the games, where resource management and character progression have any meaning.

Challenge is the number one problem with the series, and if I can squeeze any amount out of the games, it's not only worth it it but also much more fun.

And the boss battles really aren't that much of a slog unless you completely suck ass.

Also part of the reason why I actually enjoyed the block-heavy combat on Hard in Yakuza 3. Some of the most challenging fights in the series.

I think my problem with Yakuza in general is, that it is very casual when it comes to general fighting on the streets, and in most of the subquests, so that you derelict in some kind of rut where you really are enjoying the story and well written subquests. But occasionally the game suddenly throws you against a wall heads first in those very lengthy and rather annoying boss fights, which play completely different than the stuff you fight on the streets (especially because of the HP bloat). And tbh, the fights in Yakuza might feel quite satisfying because of all those flashy finishers, but the overall loop is not fun unless you have unlocked all the special skills and moves which allow for some different HEAT generation or counter moves, instead of just gulping down 15 Heat drinks per boss fights.

I don't mind hard games at all (God Hand on DIE is the most fun experience I have ever had with a brawler), but games at least should be more consistent with their difficulty. And Yakuza games on HARD are just not fun in the way I like to play them.

Last edited:

Nirvash

Liturgist
OK defaulting settings did the trick, temps are bearable now.

Still on ch 2 and i have already destroyed more bikes than all kiwami 1 lol.
Kiryu is a MASSIVE vandal lol.
Enemies got... no weight, they fly around like tin cans.

Not sure about the exp system... i get those exp things... mostly by eating???
So there are no styles now? I'm stuck with the dragon shit?

Terra

Cipher
Having recently finished Kiwami 2 and moved onto Y3, it's crazy to see what I once considered to be a graphical leap for the series showing its age and jankiness hot on the heels of Kiwami 2. The step up from Y2 (original) to Y3 was so good graphically on PS3, finally getting to explore Kamurocho from a new perspective, but man if it doesn't look pretty basic nowadays compared with newer entries. I'm also finding Kiryu's turn on a dime movement after Kiwami 2 to be somewhat hilarious/offputting lol and Kaoru looks like she's been beaten with an ugly stick between games. Oh, Yakuza 3, you haven't aged well, gonna be a slog to get through this one again I think.

Saying that though, Kiwami 2's dragon engine immediately felt off to me after Y0+Kiwami 1, so I guess I'll get back into the groove soon enough.

Seolas

Liturgist
I recently dived into this series with Yakuza 0 and thought it was great, even if the real estate thing was super grindy. The cabaret club mini-game was fun though.

After 120 hours or so of 0, I couldn't bring myself to binge through the series chronologically, knowing about the engine downgrades after Kiwami 2.

So I watched videos, read the synopsis and jumped to Yakuza 6 (after debating whether to play Kiwami 2), which was also great even if a lot shorter than 0. The spear fishing mini game was pretty great and the clan game with all the pro wrestlers was kinda fun, but got repetitive. I like the new Dragon Engine in general, although the simplifying of the combat system was slightly disappointing.

Waiting for Like a Dragon to go on sale and will then try that. The spin-off game Judgment also looks interesting, but no PC release yet.

Nirvash

Liturgist
one
two
three
FOURSHINE!

Is the same as zero but more sluggish, like most minigames in this new engine.
Do the combat improve after unlocking all skills? is so... sluggish and floaty

Nirvash

Liturgist
THIS DAMN SUBQUEST IS TROLLING ME

8yiV2ff.jpg

AND I FUCKING LOST AFTER MY DEALER TURN REPEATED CUZ OF DRAW

IT WAS SUPPOSED TO END AS I HAD 30+K POINTS

d16.png

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
THIS DAMN SUBQUEST IS TROLLING ME

8yiV2ff.jpg

AND I FUCKING LOST AFTER MY DEALER TURN REPEATED CUZ OF DRAW

IT WAS SUPPOSED TO END AS I HAD 30+K POINTS

d16.png
Bro if this is the one where you're trying to save that dude from thugs just use one of those fancy cheat tiles and have done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom