Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RimWorld - Damned Colonists in Space

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The game is honestly only fun if you are invested in your pawns and their personalities and how their private adventures work out, the developer specifically says its a "story generator" and I do feel it really is.
So it's not really a Dwarf Fortress Light as I imagined? It's more limited than that?

Its more easy than that. If all you do is optimize in order to achieve the goal of sending the space ship (the implied win condition), then you will be able to do that.
Its the kind of game where if you try to have fun, you will have a lot of fun. But if you try to win, you will win, and there will be not much fun involved.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You will want mod access for sure. Leaving aside fun goofy things, there is a mod for every little annoyance in the game.

"Why can't I repair damaged weapons?" - there's a mod for that.
"Why can I make bionic eyes but I can't fix a broken toe without cutting the whole foot off?" - there's a mod for that.
Et cetera.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
And there are a lot of additions in form of furniture, weapons & machinery that integrates really well with the base game. You can really make expand on the game a lot without anything feeling out of place.

Hell even the Hospitality and Gastronomy mods mentioned before are a perfect fit. Mod that allow prison labour are great too, but were, at the time that I tried it, a bit finnicky... As in, if you overlooked a setting suddenly no one would work and you would start to pull your hair out.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
And there are a lot of additions in form of furniture, weapons & machinery that integrates really well with the base game. You can really make expand on the game a lot without anything feeling out of place.

Hell even the Hospitality and Gastronomy mods mentioned before are a perfect fit. Mod that allow prison labour are great too, but were, at the time that I tried it, a bit finnicky... As in, if you overlooked a setting suddenly no one would work and you would start to pull your hair out.

Last time I tried a prison labour mod, I couldn't get the prisoners to move from jail to the mine to work there. So the jail had to be inside the mine. But then as they mine, they expand the jail, and eventually would break out. And also my regular colonists, when they have nothing to do, would go clean rubble from the jail, or even mine, while the prisoners sit on their chairs and eat. Not what I intended when I enslaved the fuckers.
I think I'll stick to recycling them and selling them piece by piece, easier way to profit from useless eaters.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, the bigger the mods, and the more mods you have, the bigger the chance something will go wrong.

In my opinion, it's best to only add mods for problems that actively annoy you and need to be fixed. If the game really feels incomplete without prison labor or giant spiders, then add prison labor or giant spiders. Otherwise, stick as close to vanilla as you can for your first few playthroughs. Vanilla is a very good game without trying to Frankenstein a hypothetical perfect experience.

DDZ

Patron
All those vanilla expanded mods are pretty good. Also some of the performance mods are excellent.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I promised myself I'm not gonna play DF until the "AWESOME NEW" edition comes out, which might still take another year, so I just bought Rimworld on GOG and started playing, any suggestions for a newbie? I'm gonna play vanilla only, no mods (at least for the time being).
start organ harvesting operations as soon u can.

DDZ

Patron
Yeah rimthreaded is really hit or miss, but was very promising when it first came out, but progress seems to be kinda slow.

But Rocketman seems to help a lot, and is quite configurable.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I found that two coolers are best for freezers and interlinking main dinin\rec room with the freezer. I have freezer mod so I sued freezer and would switch big freezer with kitchen if no freezer enabled. Also very imortant to place prison adjacent to your hospital as way too often you have, like, 1 h our until prisoner dies. And conserve space as much as possible because later on it will be a problem and defences require space.
p7xXkr4.png

how can people harvest organs in vanilla if every time you do all the guys take a gigantic, possibly cumulative morale hit?

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
what mods do you losers use

The vanilla expanded series is really good and can also be tailored to a particular ‘theme’ playthrough like medieval, western or sci-fi. The ‘Rim Effect’ Mass Effect mod along with the soundtrack sub-mod I found to be a nice change from the Firefly theme without going medieval or something.

>using prisoners for anything other than organ harvesting
Child soldier factory?
Yeah, I think so too. I've had a colony on the north pole, far from anyone else, yet still got raided on a regular basis. Well, "raided" – with naked brutality start, I was just a lone survivalist looking for something to eat, so at most, I got some lone loser with a knife come and try to... I don't even know what the fuck he'd want from me, I had nothing. Maybe he just thought my cave looked cool. Anyway, these lone raiders are an excellent source of protein.
Sopa de bandido.
Uma delicia.

Irata

Scholar
Announcing update 1.3 and the Ideology expansion
Free game improvements and an expansion about belief systems
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/294100/view/2995438840867001419

Soon, we'll be releasing RimWorld update 1.3
with new free content and a variety of improvements including animal fences, breach raids, beards, and many quality-of-life improvements. You can play 1.3 now on the Steam branch 1.3-preview

We're looking at releasing 1.3 in about 2 weeks, though this could change.

With the 1.3 release, we’ll also be releasing a new expansion called RimWorld - Ideology
. This expansion focuses on belief systems, social roles, rituals, hunts for ancient relics and cross-cultural interaction. See below for more info and screenshots!

About 1.3

There are 15 months of improvements in 1.3, so it’s a pretty big one.

There is a new pens-and-fences system for animals. Now animals are more productive, with more focused roles, but some of them need to be kept in fenced pens and led around by your trusty farmers. It gives the colony a more ‘ranchy’ look and feel, as opposed to just having random cows always wandering through bedrooms or staying in pens via mind control. You’ve also got egg boxes and a new straw matting terrain type to build true-looking farms that actually work.

There are search bars all over the interface now, so you can type in text on the architect menu, stats dialog, research menu, stockpile filter, and elsewhere to jump directly to exactly what you want. No more hunting through lists - even with lots of modded items!

The faction goodwill system has been reworked so neighbors keep a record of what you’ve done and why they feel the way they do about you. You’ll have a better idea of why exactly they want to destroy or reward you.

Enemies will now use a new style of breach raid to get through your defenses. They’ll bring special wall-breaking tools and tunnel into the side of your base instead of using the main entrance. Tribals do this with a new breach-axe, while pirates use grenades, and mechanoids use a new mechanoid type called the termite. This new strategy option for the AI adds more variation and dynamism to the defensive combats - fighting through bedrooms is very exciting! Making the AI analyze bases, find good breach paths, and follow them effectively was an interesting and novel problem. Of course, all the old raid strategies still exists and the breach raids only show up from time to time to add variation.

Drag-move formations allow you to order your fighters to arrange themselves in a line using a single mouse command.

You can order a fighter to pick up a downed person, then carry them wherever you wish using the normal movement controls. No more harrowing and unnecessary rescues directly to bed!

Your colonists can now carry medicine in their inventory and use it directly on the battlefield.

Beards! Beards. What more do I need to say? People have beards, and they look beardy and awesome.

Characters now render more efficiently (the game prints them onto a texture and render that in one pass, instead of rendering each body layer separately on every frame). We punched up their look with visible wounds, bandages, and body modifications, so you can really see when someone (or your pet guinea pig) has taken some hits.

We also consulted with modders, collected their requests and made a bunch of technical changes to make modding easier.

There's tons more than this. For those interested, here is the full 1.3 change log.

RimWorld has always been about role-playing. For many years I’ve seen players create colonies with their own special themes - minimalist nomads, raiding pirates, mad cannibals, drug-worshippers. People want to have a sense of authorship over their stories.

I thought: What if we made the system that let players explicitly express all those different ways of life?
That’s what we’ve spent the last 15 months working on with Ideology. This expansion lets you create a new belief system and act it out in your colony. You can play as tree-worshipping cannibals who carve skulls into every piece of furniture, or blind tunnelers who shun the light, or transhumanists obsessed with perfecting the human form using exotic technology. Or be nudists, or drug-stupor mystics, or piratical raiders, or charity-focused givers, or pain-loving animal sacrificers, or dance-party techno ravers, or rustic ranching cowboys, or many many more.

You can mix and match different core elements of your belief system, and also customize every individual precept, ritual, special social role, venerated animal and weapon, culture and style, unique building, tattoo, clothing, background narrative, god, and beard preference.

This comes with a bunch of extra content. There is a whole new quest category that presents a sort of Indiana Jones roguelike-type challenge of breaking into ancient structures and facing unknown dangers inside to get ancient treasure.

There are new dryad creatures who have symbiotic relationships with special trees, and who can be controlled and grown in different castes to do different things. There is spacedrone hacking and terminal-worshipping tribal villages and the new archonexus ending.

The whole thing is super moddable too. Modders tested Ideology and said it is quite easy to update in general. The expansion adds a lot of new stuff, but doesn't affect much of the old stuff. Of course, it depends on what your mod is.

axx

Savant
How many genders does the base game support?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom