Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum New Arcanum Mod: Professor Bowtie's Arcanum Complete

*Cough Cough* I edited the rats and kites to make them a little more formidable and toned down the brute fangs. NOT THAT ANYONE FUCKING CARES.

Monolith

Prophet
Anybody putting work into a rough classic such as Arcanum deserves a medal, even if you turn out to be Drog. Perhaps the combat will be fun this time around, and not something that is mercifully over quickly.

:excellent:

Also, don't mind the rabble and their outrage. This is the codex, that's what you can expect.
:shitandpiss:

Anybody putting work into a rough classic such as Arcanum deserves a medal, even if you turn out to be Drog. Perhaps the combat will be fun this time around, and not something that is mercifully over quickly.

Hey, thanks, man. I appreciate it.

What ever happened to Drog, anyway? I read pretty much all of the Terra Arcanum forum in working on this mod. Seemed like he disappeared from there in a huff.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
You can right click their portrait to issue commands, you know.
Or better, use shortcuts.

Maybe it's Multiverse bugging out, but once in combat they refuse to obey any commands. I order them to back the fuck off and disengage, they keep fighting and die. When the shit is too severe I'm forced to leave them behind and go in alone.

jackofshadows

Magister
Black Mountain Mines: it is near impossible to die to kites or rats, but then you meat brute fangs or elementals who kill you in turn or two and its pure cheese with kiting.
It's possible to kite fangs with high dex but still hard because their attack animation is very short. Easier to just avoid. But you cannot avoid elementals and you can't reliably kite them too because they can kill you with stone throw very quickly. I prefer to deal with them later or to sneak around. But I agree - the difficulty curve is fucked up there.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It is, for a while (then you move on to some other spells, right?). But chugging on mana potions is not fun since you have to click on yourself every time. Anyway, what I meant was that if you're playing with guns and got killed that's probably because you're standing still waiting to be slaugthered since the game doesn't have that many ranged mobs. As an exception there's non-coincidentally tough encounter for firearms mastery and some bow mobs in the Vendigroth area. Well, also elves if you've decided to slaughter them. Otherwise you just shoot stuff and kite if needed. Somewhat retarded but legit gameplay.

You don't need to kite much (only for some monsters like the gorilla in the isle of despair) with guns if you craft (or early steal/buy) the best guns you can and with a dex build + rings, everything just dies.

Of course, you have to be careful of your encumbrance, if you lose half your AP because of encumbrance, well, you may have a problem indeed...

Drowed

Arcane
arcanum.jpg

(Nice work, BWT. I'll test it out next time I'm replaying it.)

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Interesting project!

It's interesting to note that people feel the need to express their dislike of the mod in the most uncongenial way. Why can't you put forward your criticisms in a more constructive manner?

I mean I would probably not play Arcanum in real-time but I can still see that this mod could be an interesting option for those who do.

Drowed

Arcane
Why can't you put forward your criticisms in a more constructive manner?

Well, you've been in the Codex for 12 years so at this point you know why, right? Codex gonna Codex, in no way are we going to miss the opportunity to (a) joke about any situation in the most sarcastic way possible and (b) complain passionately about anything other than our exact preference for whatever is being announced, ever. This is possibly the most hardcore/oldschool RPG forum on the internet, no exaggeration. People here don't have strong opinions, they have mutated opinions warped by decades of continuous anabolic/FEV-II use.

If you can stand the heat, it's the best place to cook your thoughts.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why can't you put forward your criticisms in a more constructive manner?

Well, you've been in the Codex for 12 years so at this point you know why, right? Codex gonna Codex, in no way are we going to miss the opportunity to (a) joke about any situation in the most sarcastic way possible and (b) complain passionately about anything other than our exact preference for whatever is being announced, ever. This is possibly the most hardcore/oldschool RPG forum on the internet, no exaggeration. People here don't have strong opinions, they have mutated opinions warped by decades of continuous anabolic/FEV-II use.

If you can stand the heat, it's the best place to cook your thoughts.
Yeah I know but still...

Monolith

Prophet
What ever happened to Drog, anyway? I read pretty much all of the Terra Arcanum forum in working on this mod. Seemed like he disappeared from there in a huff.

Typical modder hissyfit.

Might happen to you too one day! You are a modder, after all.
It's like inception. You put this thought into his head now, it will grow with time. He will empty his life into this mod like his bowels into.. wherever you empty them. And once he finishes his magnum opus - basically a sum of hexcode hacks only he and a handful of his brethren will understand - he will vanish into the wasteland, shunned by his people.

A tough core of die hard Arcanum fans will continue his work. Others will shit on it. Every once in a while somebody will drop by to ask where the latest version can be found, while I will enjoy my first RT run of Arcanum, thinking about how I have fallen so low, not playing it in TB mode.

Last edited:

Typical modder hissyfit.

Might happen to you too one day! You are a modder, after all.
It's like inception. You put this thought into his head now, it will grow with time. He will empty his life into this mod like his bowels into.. wherever you empty them. And once he finishes his magnum opus - basically a sum of hexcode hacks only he and a handful of his brethren will understand - he will vanish into the wasteland, shunned by his people.

A tough core of die hard Arcanum fans will continue his work. Others will shit on it. Every once in a while somebody will drop by to ask where the latest version can be found, while I will enjoy my first RT run of Arcanum, thinking about how I have fallen so low, not playing it in TB mode.

Damn, son. You spin one hell of a yarn. Maybe I should forget about this modding business entirely.

Monolith

Prophet
Damn. I wrote this in half time while Germany was losing, after a couple of beers, hence the apocalyptic scenario.

Don't listen to the me up there, Arcanum deserves to get unbroken combat!

Don't listen to the me up there, Arcanum deserves to get unbroken combat!

Dawww.

For anyone else moderately interested, there is a new version of the mod coming in a few days. Several playtesters are working now to identify bugs, but they report the gameplay is overall solid and fun. Feel free to send me an email at ofsummerhouses@gmail.com if you have questions about the mod. I'll be responding to comments about the mod on Reddit and Terra Arcanum, because you guys here are total cocks.

Really, though. Thanks for checking out the mod and being so colorful. Cheers.

Monolith

Prophet
We ungrateful cocks of the Codex rabble should be nicer to people that area actually providing something productive. People leaving us to go to Reddit - of all places...

jackofshadows

Magister
Good riddance. Imagine making mod for Arcanum to make everything ~100% slower. Crawling around Tarant like a fucking slug just to buy some stuff, what a delight. Real time mode is so fast for my senile brain that I'm getting mashed all the time! What do I do, maybe thorougly tune everything for turn-based mod, fix some things like fast-turn based mode traps ignore? Naaah.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Good riddance. Imagine making mod for Arcanum to make everything ~100% slower. Crawling around Tarant like a fucking slug just to buy some stuff, what a delight. Real time mode is so fast for my senile brain that I'm getting mashed all the time! What do I do, maybe thorougly tune everything for turn-based mod, fix some things like fast-turn based mode traps ignore? Naaah.
RT is really too fast to properly manage stuff, but running around in Tarant or any other big city... :argh:

Brancaleone

Liturgist
"Hello, lovely Codex, I've just spent a truckload of time fixing what is unequivocally Baldur's Gate 2's biggest flaw. And by that I mean that I made every single NPC romanceable, I've hugely expanded the romance dialogues, and I made every NPC react to the romances you have with any other NPC. Yes, please form an orderly queue for assorted praising.
Codex, why am I not being heralded as the second coming of David Wallace? How long till I get covered in sestertii™?
Hey, what's going on? Did you just run out of rose petals and red carpets?
Ok, I'm going to Reddit, they have their priorities straight there when it comes to CRPG's."

(Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental)

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I think it's time to bring "holy trinity of rules for people who upset with mods":
1) Nobody forces you install this mod
2) It's absolutely free
3) Even if it not ideal - it makes people to talk more about old ass game and maybe increases number of people familiar with this game.
Considering three rules laid out above - all this rage and screeching is pointless and stupid as fuck.
No, you don't "playing 5d psychological chess" - you acting like hostile idiot and that kind of idiot who threaten to kill people in public place for random reason.
Honestly, I am just glad that there still exist people with enough passion and willpower to mod Arcanum, even if it is config file. Spanky McGuire if you really enjoying modding Arcanum - don't give up because some idiots told you so, maybe you will be inspired one day to make global modifications which make "cocks" from rpg codex eat their own words.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Btw, speaking about serious mods, jackofshadows before demanding new module for Arcanum you should consider the fact that module broken on modern operational systems - it's lags and crashes constantly. Arcanum need new module making tool and this is too much to ask from English teacher who makes his/her first mod don't you think?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom