Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which game killed the shooter genre?

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I replayed it on whatever the highest difficulty was and kept getting bored after twenty minutes.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
halo is the only god of fps genre destruction, and goldeneye is his messenger
All the ingredients for decline were there when it comes to gameplay, yes, and Halo was the game that paved the way for the wave of multiplatform shooters that the genre never recovered from. I've got to echo some sentiments from the last page, though: CoD2 was the game where you could really feel the FPS genre dying. I initially refused to believe they put health generation in a fucking WW2 game, but the game would've been sickeningly bad even without it, a thoroughly scripted corridor where player agency was reduced to the very minimum and use of brain was prohibited. The following year gave us S.T.A.L.K.E.R., but after that it was game over.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
FPSs are too similar to one another. Too many games that play exactly the same, with the exact same controls except for one or two special action buttons for whatever gimmick the game is going for. And in a way they are getting more similar over time, just fitting into one of 4 or 5 FPS game types. Everything is a something-like.

Ezekiel

Arcane
halo is the only god of fps genre destruction, and goldeneye is his messenger
I wish some shooters had taken more of the good things from GoldenEye, like the varied and optional objectives and the enemies who react to where you shoot them and continue to fight accordingly.

Cugel

Novice
I wish some shooters had taken more of the good things from GoldenEye, like the varied and optional objectives and the enemies who react to where you shoot them and continue to fight accordingly.

This. Goldeneye had great variety in level design and mission objectives and each stage was open-ended enough to allow for at least some exploraiton. At this point, it has more in common with games like Dishonored than your typical FPS.

Shooter genre was never killed, it was never that good to begin with.

Shooters are the equivalent of a low budget action flick, that just has action followed by action followed by more action. Almost no plot, little dialogue, inferior exploration, and so on.

It's like they took an RPG or an action-adventure game, and stripped out a lot of the fun parts (writing, exploration, character development), and left you with non-stop action. For most people with triple digit IQ that's rather boring.

And to top it off, the vast majority of shooter combat is not even interesting in terms of action. You got your old run n' gun shooters, where you basically run around and click on shit like a retard, or the new school popamole shooters where you pop in and out of cover and click on shit. Where's the depth, the skill? In multiplayer there is skill involved as you play against other humans, but then it just becomes an e-sport, not really a game per se.

The only shooter I can think of that had interesting shooting mechanics was Operation: Flashpoint, where you actually had to use cover intelligently, take difficult shots at distance, utilize terrain and environment, etc.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

Shooters are the equivalent of a low budget action flick, that just has action followed by action followed by more action. Almost no plot, little dialogue, inferior exploration, and so on.

It's like they took an RPG or an action-adventure game, and stripped out a lot of the fun parts (writing, exploration, character development), and left you with non-stop action. For most people with triple digit IQ that's rather boring.

And to top it off, the vast majority of shooter combat is not even interesting in terms of action. You got your old run n' gun shooters, where you basically run around and click on shit like a retard, or the new school popamole shooters where you pop in and out of cover and click on shit. Where's the depth, the skill? In multiplayer there is skill involved as you play against other humans, but then it just becomes an e-sport, not really a game per se.

The only shooter I can think of that had interesting shooting mechanics was Operation: Flashpoint, where you actually had to use cover intelligently, take difficult shots at distance, utilize terrain and environment, etc.
have you ever played a shooter before

actually have you ever even played a video game

Lemming42

Arcane

That's not true, but even in cases where there's no plot or decent setting, the combat itself can be fun. Most of the 2.5D and early 3D games - Doom, Marathon, System Shock, Descent, Heretic, PowerSlave, Dark Forces, Blood, Duke 3D, Outlaws, Quake, Unreal, Half-Life etc. have their own flavours of gameplay that make them a lot of fun to compare and contrast. If you want to take it further chronologically, we can include Far Cry, Call of Duty 1 and F.E.A.R - all very, very different experiences.

Just play through all the games I just mentioned, if you haven't before - they're all good games IMO but even if you don't like some or all of them, you should at least see how varied the combat (and other gameplay elements like level design) is, and why people like the genre simply for the sake of mechanics and design.

But yeah, I don't think your point is true - FPS games have had just as much story crammed into them as every other genre since the late 90s, when trying to emulate movies started to be the big thing. Pick any FPS from the mid-late 2000s and there's a good chance you'll be stopped every five steps to have NPCs dump a load of boring story on you, and if you're unlucky, you'll be stuck with a bunch of minutes-long cutscenes too.

FPS games with good stories are another matter entirely, but - other than a few obvious choices - I don't think there's many videogames in general with good stories.

HansDampf

Arcane
Imagine caring about story in FPS games. What can the story possibly be about except some guy murdering thousands of people?

I've played all these shooters, kiddos, since before many of you were born. And I tell ya, they are not a good genre, never were. Even the very best (e.g. Operation Flashpoint, Dark Forces 2, Jedi Outcast, Half-Life) pale in comparison to RPGs or action-adventure games.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Shoot 'Em Up genre was never killed, it was never that good to begin with.

Shmups are the equivalent of a low budget action flick, that just has action followed by action followed by more action. Almost no plot, little dialogue, zero exploration, and so on.

It's like they took a platformer or an action-adventure game, and stripped out a lot of the fun parts (writing, exploration, character development), and left you with non-stop action. For most people with triple digit IQ that's rather boring.

And to top it off, the vast majority of shmup combat is not even interesting in terms of action. You got your old horizontal shooters, where you basically fly around and shoot at shit like a retard, or the new school bullet-hell shooters where you weave in and out of projectiles and shoot at shit. Where's the depth, the skill? In scoring there is skill involved as you rank against other humans, but then it just becomes an e-sport, not really a game per se.

The only shmup I can think of that had interesting shooting mechanics was Radiant Silvergun, where you actually had to use weapons intelligently, take difficult shots at distance, utilize chaining and target prioritization, etc.

Lemming42

Arcane
I've played all these shooters, kiddos, since before many of you were born. And I tell ya, they are not a good genre, never were. Even the very best (e.g. Operation Flashpoint, Dark Forces 2, Jedi Outcast, Half-Life) pale in comparison to RPGs or action-adventure games.

What are some action-adventure games with good stories? Not even asking to prove a point or anything, I just can't think of many examples myself.

First one I can think of is Tomb Raider 2, which has a fun action story which would have made an absolutely fucking wicked-sick movie with almost no plot changes needed for the big screen. Could have had Angelina Jolie getting into snowmobile chases and having a shootout with the mafia aboard a sunken ship, but instead we got whatever the fuck those movies were.

Raapys

Arcane
Multiplayer killed the shooter genre. All those tens of millions of people who should have been playing shooters today are now busy playing counterstrike and battle royales.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
What are some action-adventure games with good stories? Not even asking to prove a point or anything, I just can't think of many examples myself.

Max Payne, Soul Reaver, Omikron the Nomad Soul

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom