Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Zelda: Leaks of the kingdom thread

Drakortha

Liturgist
The first one was a dumb game with an overly large open world with nothing worth seeing, where you climb towers UBISOFT style and collect thousands of useless crafting ingredients and whenever you get into a tough fight you just pause the game, go to your inventory and consume one of the 5,000,000 healing items you have accumulated to heal up to Max health instantly. It was Skyrim - Zelda Edition. Fun to play when taking a shit, because it's on the Switch. But that's about it.

This just looks to be more of the same, so HARD PASS for me.

Edit: Also fuck those gay puzzles. After like the 50th one that shit was repetitive.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
The trailer doesn't show that much to be honest. Some new mechanics and new areas. People has noticed that the death mountain is not in eruption anymore, the shrines and towers have dissapeared too. My bet is that they'll rehash the same map, partially at least. With those new islands on the air and the ruins left by them after rising up.

I'm annoyed at how little they showed in the trailer. This shit has been in development for what seems like forever, was arguably the biggest game on the Switch... and all you can show is a minute or two of gameplay? Come on!

I really don't give a shit about the Skyward Sword remake, never played it, never wanted to. All the characters in that game looked stupid, get that stupid Olive Oyl-looking Zelda incarnation away from me. Probably not a coincidence they're pushing Skyward Sword along with BOTW2's floating islands, though.

Drakortha

Liturgist
2Z5m8aR.jpg

Casual Hero

Augur
Not going to read the thread, since I already know most people on the codex hate the game (spoiler: bad opinion).
I'm excited.

Well, looks like they're taking some of the prominent criticisms of the first one seriously. Trailer shows items, spells, and no shrines. Here's hoping we get big classic style dungeons back.

I didn't mind the shrines, but I think they should be play 2nd fiddle to dungeons, obviously.

They also could've done a lot to make them feel more 'varied'. Even something like a simple palette swap of the dungeon textures, a la how you'd have a 'blue' dungeon, 'green' dungeon or 'red' dungeon in Zelda 1 and Zelda 2, would at least mix things up aesthetically.

The shrines were of varying quality. Some were good, most were fine, and some were terrible (those fucking motion controlled Labyrinth boards were infuriating), but regardless they definitely weren’t the main draw of the game. Proper dungeons (ideally ones that required exploration to find) would have fit the game far better.

I don't have anything against large dungeons in BotW2, but the shrines werent that bad in BotW. They were a good bite-sized change of pace from overland exploration.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
The shrines were of varying quality. Some were good, most were fine, and some were terrible (those fucking motion controlled Labyrinth boards were infuriating), but regardless they definitely weren’t the main draw of the game. Proper dungeons (ideally ones that required exploration to find) would have fit the game far better.
https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fcd0a8684-9099-41c5-8b7a-5a03f9e01566

Tigranes

Arcane
Right, the shrines weren't the problem, the lack of dungeons were (to the extent that the 4 automatons were essentially ultra-shrines). Which I find hard to understand was any reason other than resource limitations - the gameplay loop would have worked brilliantly with extensive dungeons. Hopefully we see that here.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I think they really wanted to push the whole "Breath of the Wild" motif to the limit, as the game the game in general have almost no significant interior locations

The shrines were simply suffered from overabundance
But one thing I liked about them is that they broke Zelda's dungeon mold
As anyone that played any previous 3D entry knows, Zelda has a very "puzzle box" design to it's dungeons
Which while can make for some outrigth masterful level design, their replayability also suffers too much from its linearity
Even a truly excelent game like Majora's Mask is unfortunately a kind of experience that one should only replay after a couple years, to make sure one doesn't immediately remember the solutions
With BotW though, alot of the shrines didn't rely on the traditional design methods, they simply dropped the player in a space filled with some interactable objects, and gave the player a goal to reach
And in those shrines the solutions weren't "fixed", as the player could make use of the extremly versatile gameplay mechanics of BotW, and come up with alot of different ways to reach the monk
Honestly, of all the drastic changes BotW made, this one, was perhaps the most curious, as Zelda was always famous for employing a very unique style of level design to their levels

Hyrule Castle is perhaps the best example of this change

4 automatons were essentially ultra-shrines

They were short in legth compared to previous games sure, but I would still call them proper Zelda dungeons
Because 3D Zelda's dungeon design has always been pretty much a giant mechanical puzzle box
And the Divine Beasts are meant to be ultimate expression of that design idea, and honestly I find them impressive
I mean just think about how much of a bitch most have been to plan, animate and make sure a giant, animal shaped, movable mech properly functioned and also act as a Dungeon

Cugel

Novice
I'm in the camp that liked the first game but I do wish there was more stuff to do outside of the shrines, some of the best moments were stumbling upon random cool stuff while exploring like the corrupted dragon, Lost Woods, the labyrinths, etc. so the fact that it seems to largely take place in the same map is a bit worrying to me, it would be a shame if all the cool new areas are in the sky islands and the new stuff on the ground is mostly just new shrines. Still, I think this team earned enough of my trust to get me at least somewhat hyped for the sequel.

Ivan

Arcane

:love:

My wish for the overwold is to have areas wherein you have to find keys to unlock dungeons. There's a lot of playspace, give me better/more reasons to explore mang!

Hassar

Scholar
I think they really wanted to push the whole "Breath of the Wild" motif to the limit, as the game the game in general have almost no significant interior locations

The shrines were simply suffered from overabundance
But one thing I liked about them is that they broke Zelda's dungeon mold
As anyone that played any previous 3D entry knows, Zelda has a very "puzzle box" design to it's dungeons
Which while can make for some outrigth masterful level design, their replayability also suffers too much from its linearity
Even a truly excelent game like Majora's Mask is unfortunately a kind of experience that one should only replay after a couple years, to make sure one doesn't immediately remember the solutions
With BotW though, alot of the shrines didn't rely on the traditional design methods, they simply dropped the player in a space filled with some interactable objects, and gave the player a goal to reach
And in those shrines the solutions weren't "fixed", as the player could make use of the extremly versatile gameplay mechanics of BotW, and come up with alot of different ways to reach the monk
Honestly, of all the drastic changes BotW made, this one, was perhaps the most curious, as Zelda was always famous for employing a very unique style of level design to their levels

Hyrule Castle is perhaps the best example of this change

4 automatons were essentially ultra-shrines

They were short in legth compared to previous games sure, but I would still call them proper Zelda dungeons
Because 3D Zelda's dungeon design has always been pretty much a giant mechanical puzzle box
And the Divine Beasts are meant to be ultimate expression of that design idea, and honestly I find them impressive
I mean just think about how much of a bitch most have been to plan, animate and make sure a giant, animal shaped, movable mech properly functioned and also act as a Dungeon

I never particularly liked Zelda’s puzzle design since many seemed so separate from the story, but BotW’s shrine puzzles definitely reach new heights of boredom. There are some exceptions, but most of them seemed random and BotW’s shrines are full of them. There is that one puzzle - think near the Rito village - where you have to hit a lot of switches to change air currents. The developers probably forgot that since weapons have durability (but arrows magically do not) most players would burn through their armories to figure it out.

Anyway, that one puzzle always made me think that Zelda should be coop because these seem like something that Princess Zelda, personification of Wisdom, should handle more than Link, personification of Courage. Anyway, that and other puzzles break my immersion because I then question why these ancient people have the time to create obtuse puzzles like that. I think some are really well-done - the ones involving item usage such as bombing walls or pushing things seem well-integrated with the world. It is really just those random “puzzle box rooms just ‘cause” that usually irritate me. And then there are the puzzles that you can tell developers were so proud of but are just irritating tech demos like the ones where you tilt the switch controllers to manipulate…

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I never particularly liked Zelda’s puzzle design since many seemed so separate from the story

Zelda is not trying to be an immersive sim or craft a really interesting world, therefore demanding perfectly logical and consistent worldbuilding
It's just trying to be a grandiose high fantasy adventure, and it's unique approach to dungeons as always been a part of that

Mostly agree
Although the Four Swords games and the Spirit Tracks multiplayer were pretty fun

Wunderbar

Arcane
I can see a game where Zelda is a sidekick or maybe a walking ability (like Elika from PoP 2008).

Zanzoken

Arcane
whenever you get into a tough fight you just pause the game, go to your inventory and consume one of the 5,000,000 healing items you have accumulated to heal up to Max health instantly

I played with a self-imposed "no eating in battle" rule and I am glad I did because it forced me to get good at the combat.

I remember fighting a Lynel for the first time, getting rofl-stomped and thinking "these guys are impossible". But instead of spamming food or lightning arrows or whatever, I studied their attack patterns and learned their timing. Fast forward a few hours and I was flawlessly dodging and countering their attacks, which was really satisfying. I wouldn't have had that if I had used food as a crutch to get through the hard encounters.

Sometimes you need to use a little common sense to have the best experience. A lot of games, even some really good RPGs, allow you to consumable spam, but that doesn't mean you should.

Drakortha

Liturgist
whenever you get into a tough fight you just pause the game, go to your inventory and consume one of the 5,000,000 healing items you have accumulated to heal up to Max health instantly

I played with a self-imposed "no eating in battle" rule and I am glad I did because it forced me to get good at the combat.

I remember fighting a Lynel for the first time, getting rofl-stomped and thinking "these guys are impossible". But instead of spamming food or lightning arrows or whatever, I studied their attack patterns and learned their timing. Fast forward a few hours and I was flawlessly dodging and countering their attacks, which was really satisfying. I wouldn't have had that if I had used food as a crutch to get through the hard encounters.

Sometimes you need to use a little common sense to have the best experience. A lot of games, even some really good RPGs, allow you to consumable spam, but that doesn't mean you should.

The point is BOTW is not a traditional Zelda game it's a bastardization and a diversion from the original design that Zelda games once had. It is Pure Decline if you have to larp like you're playing traditional Zelda. Might as well just do it in Skyrim to the same effect.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Retarded Fanboys are all over this forum. When will they ever learn that their unconditional love for trash games is a vile and putrid thing? It is sickening to see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom