Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Chris Avellone grows a pair and fights back against being cancelled

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Generally, in absence of a contractual obligation, each side is responsible for their own attorney's fees in the USA. Granted, I am no expert of California laws/statutes, etc.
That's true. It's also true that attorneys sometimes represent a party for a share of the judgment. It's called a "contingency" fee. Seems unlikely here, because attorneys generally only do that if they know there are assets from which a judgment can be satisfied at the end of the day - usually that's insurance. Insurance isn't really an option here because insurance doesn't cover intentional, wrongful acts and that's the most likely way to recover from these defendants.
I am familiar with contingency fee arrangements in personal injury claims, just not defamation/libel claims. Hopefully, a wild California attorney appears in the threads.

Raapys

Arcane
They're specifically requesting compensation for attorney fees too.

Wherefore, Avellone prays for judgment against Defendants as follows:
1. For actual and special damages, including emotional distress damages;
2. For general damages;
3. For costs of suit;
4. For punitive damages; and
5. For equitable relief in the form of a positive injunction.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They are requesting that, and will probably get it, but that doesn't change the fact that I doubt the defendants will be able to pay.

Regardless of what the courts award, Chris will probably not be able to collect very much.

Not unless he goes after some media entity that has some money.
He might, there are 102 defendants here.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
They're specifically requesting compensation for attorney fees too.

Wherefore, Avellone prays for judgment against Defendants as follows:
1. For actual and special damages, including emotional distress damages;
2. For general damages;
3. For costs of suit;
4. For punitive damages; and
5. For equitable relief in the form of a positive injunction.
I saw that, although the court does not have to grant it. Of the relief requested, I am most curious how punitive damages would play out, if at all.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
They are requesting that, and will probably get it, but that doesn't change the fact that I doubt the defendants will be able to pay.

Regardless of what the courts award, Chris will probably not be able to collect very much.

I doubt Chris cares about the money in this case. Probably cares more about the vindication.

Even if it doesn't clear his good name, it's still a judgement saying he was in the right (or at least these bitches were in the wrong).

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
If Todd does this, i am willing to forgive him for fucking up Fallout.
Holy fuck, I bet MCA planned this from the beginning. He waited out the 1 year to accumulate the most financial damage caused by this, then sued the bitches to hell and back. Our boy played the long play.
He should make an RPG named Avellone's Revange, where you go from hopeless drunk to chad mafia Don, slapping lying bitches left and right.

Mustawd

I wonder if he’s less interested in winning a judgment as he is forcing a public apology via a settlement agreement.

If this happened to me, and I knew these women couldn’t pay crap, I’d at least angle to have them tell everyone and their mother that they made all this shit up.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder if he’s less interested in winning a judgment as he is forcing a public apology via a settlement agreement.

If this happened to me, and I knew these women couldn’t pay crap, I’d at least angle to have them tell everyone and their mother that they made all this shit up.

That's my perspective as well. He probably couldn't give a fuck about a meagre payment he could extract.

A humiliating public apology on the other hand? Priceless.

mondblut

Arcane
What is there to celebrate? I mean, yeah, it's nice that he's decided to fight back, but I doubt that will change anything.

Even if Chris manages to get a victory in a court, and that's a really big "if", I really doubt anyone would hire him to work on RPGs again. Most gamedev companies are run by pussies and those which are not are still afraid of twitter lynching mob.

RPGs?
Yeah, he's gonna remake Descent into Undermountain once this is done.

Couldn't care less. We're here to crucify lying thots. Videogames suck anyway.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Is not the losing side supposed to cover the winning side's expenses?

I reckon "SJB" got 2 healthy young kidneys. I am afraid his "mama" will have to take one.
Generally, in absence of a contractual obligation, each side is responsible for their own attorney's fees in the USA. Granted, I am no expert of California laws/statutes, etc.

[
Dude, you just spent $100 on 75 pages of Twitter screenshots. You're a hero, but I definitely won't take financial advice from you.
Honestly, I have no retort or comeback to this.

You can't even sue for cost?

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

102? Like every sjw whore who participated in story spreading?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Two named people, rest unnamed because only twitter handles are known.

Oberon

Learned

That's my perspective as well. He probably couldn't give a fuck about a meagre payment he could extract.

A humiliating public apology on the other hand? Priceless.

Plus any settlement will fuck with these broke bitches finances

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

If he actually manages to pull this off, the implications could be huge.

Right now, most of these twitter/woketards think they can ruin lives with zero consequence. Imagine if he pulls this off and drags both the main accusers and the amplifiers into judgement.

Any future cancel campaigns with shaky evidence/accusations would have to proceed with extreme caution.

Gregz

Arcane

If he actually manages to pull this off, the implications could be huge.

Right now, most of these twitter/woketards think they can ruin lives with zero consequence. Imagine if he pulls this off and drags both the main accusers and the amplifiers into judgement.

Any future cancel campaigns with shaky evidence/accusations would have to proceed with extreme caution.

Agreed. This has a lot of potential.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
grrm.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom