Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Don't delude yourself in a false hope that Ubisoft will fix anything. They pulled other servers besides the MMX one and they don't have a care in the world.

Interesting. I'm actually irritated enough about this that I'll probably actually stop buying their games.

Codex Year of the Donut
Who cares, just get the pirate version that works all the way through to the end
ah yes I will brofist this good pos --
Before anybody complains about piracy, I have the boxed version
disgust.jpg

DaveO

Erudite
For better or worse, MMX is part of the legacy of M&M if you can call it that. The decline started in MM7 and it has not changed since. Sure MM8 is a nice option, especially due to MM Merge mod.

Adenocaulon

Educated
Please report the game as a broken product in the steam page. Click the flag symbol at the bottom of the right panel in the store page of the game. You can report it as a non functioning product even if you do not own the game.

Adenocaulon

Educated
Might & Magic X has been delisted from Steam and is absent as an individual product in Ubisoft Store (apparently it is still included in the Might and Magic bundle).

T. Reich

Arcane
I've finally gotten around to playing MMXL, and it's actually a decent game (depsite what some people here claimed), I'm enjoying it so far (middle act 2).

I only have 2 gripes so far:
1) It's not a Might & Magic game, just doesn't feel like it Mostly because it's not done by NWC, I suppose. :roll: I mean, the old NPC names are pretty fun, but the HoMM5 "ubiverse" setting just doesn't work for me. It's as if a decent throback indie game got acquired by Ubisoft, and they slapped a dead franchise name on top of it.
2) It's pretty linear and cramped. The Act system is dum. And you can't really pick where you go because most locations are gated behind meat shields, and you can't just run by them either, because the areas are so cramped.

T. Reich

Arcane
Ok, I'm into act 3, and I detract the "MMXL is linear" statement.
The areas are still cramped AF, but once you level a bit in act 2 (and don't try to go into act 3 areas, which are instant deathtraps), you can handle more difficult areas, and the game opens up.
Also, considering, how exploration depends on acquiring certain elemental blessings, MMXL feels more of a metroidvania, exploration-wise.
And you can still force your way through some tougher fights you're not supposed to handle yet, but it's gonna cost you (some nerves and a LOT of potions).

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
T. Reich what is your party? fyi some areas are closed unless you got party member of that race, like orc or dwarf.

To me strongest part of mmx is balance around classes and races. I like options given to us(im not saying that there are not superior tactics)

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The areas are still cramped AF, but once you level a bit in act 2 (and don't try to go into act 3 areas, which are instant deathtraps), you can handle more difficult areas, and the game opens up.
Also, considering, how exploration depends on acquiring certain elemental blessings, MMXL feels more of a metroidvania, exploration-wise.
And you can still force your way through some tougher fights you're not supposed to handle yet, but it's gonna cost you (some nerves and a LOT of potions).
Nice of you to correct your statement. Too many people keep insisting that the game is linear even though it only proves that they never made it to Karthal.
Or haven't played the old games, which also used tough encounters to structure exploration. Even the metroidvania aspect was present with the exploration skills (mountaineering, swimming, etc) which unlocked new areas and enabled you too find hidden treasures in the old.

Rafidur

Learned
it's actually a decent game (depsite what some people here claimed)

When it came out, it was choke-full of gamebreaking bugs and ran like absolute garbage.

Maybe they fixed the bugs and computers are now good enough to compensate for the dogshit optimisation?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Nice of you to correct your statement. Too many people keep insisting that the game is linear even though it only proves that they never made it to Karthal.
Or haven't played the old games, which also used tough encounters to structure exploration. Even the metroidvania aspect was present with the exploration skills (mountaineering, swimming, etc) which unlocked new areas and enabled you too find hidden treasures in the old.

I made it to The Crag and the game is still linear.
Specially compared to the Might & Magic franchise.
What's not linear in Karthal? That you get there through the sewers? But the main door is closed, it's the only way...

So, the worldmap is a maze and is locked by blessings but it's not linear?
That's a fresh point of view, to say the least...

jackofshadows

Magister
I made it to The Crag and the game is still linear.
Specially compared to the Might & Magic franchise.
What's not linear in Karthal? That you get there through the sewers? But the main door is closed, it's the only way...
Are you dense or what? Main quest sequence is linear but the game as a whole is not. Player is free to choose in which order to aquire blessings and unlock respective areas (or not to unlock some of them at all). The worldmap is small, cramped but not linear. How do you even imagine a linear worldmap, for fuck's sake?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Are you dense or what? Main quest sequence is linear but the game as a whole is not. Player is free to choose in which order to aquire blessings and unlock respective areas (or not to unlock some of them at all). The worldmap is small, cramped but not linear. How do you even imagine a linear worldmap, for fuck's sake?

Like this:

You just have to imagine this with blessings gates everywhere and it is linear, oh, wait, is it not Legacy's worldmap?

iu

Edit: looks like it wasn't the right map and nobody noticed it...
:shredder:

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
There's no such thing as linear map, you dumbass. If you're impying that MMXL''s map is essentially an array of small areas which can be accessed only sequentially then you're simply wrong, even the first real dungeons (barring the tutoriall well one) can be accessed in an arbitrary manner. That said, act structure suck anyway and was a mistake.

When it came out, it was choke-full of gamebreaking bugs and ran like absolute garbage.

Maybe they fixed the bugs and computers are now good enough to compensate for the dogshit optimisation?

I played it at launch, and that was simply not my experience; I'm not discounting that it may have been yours, but for me the game ran flawlessly. I had zero bugs, and zero CTDs.

T. Reich

Arcane
T. Reich what is your party? fyi some areas are closed unless you got party member of that race, like orc or dwarf.

To me strongest part of mmx is balance around classes and races. I like options given to us(im not saying that there are not superior tactics)

I did a good amount of customary metagaming, so I'm aware that seeing the most of the game requires a character of each race, and I built around that.
I made a "balanced" party (2 melee + 2 mages):
* elf blade dancer (dual daggers)
* orc marauder (2h mace) - should've went with hunter instead, marauder's gameplay is too basic
* human freemage (mag focus + air + water + prime + dark)
* dwarf rune priest (mag focus + fire + earth + light)
This composition covers all the bases nicely.
I've also designed pure caster and melee-heavy parties as well, for future playthroughs.

Getting to The Crag actually gave me enough of a power boost to be able to pick and choose what areas to clear, my only real limits being getting the air and water shards.
I feel like the game's potential in exploration is limited by 3 factors:
1) The encounter difficulty growth is not smooth. Basically, the "appropriate" A2 enemies have 1.5-2x the stat values of their A1 counterparts, and A3 enemies have 1.5-2x the stat values of A2 enemies. I mean, higher difficulty in later areas is expected and welcome, but the devs could at least smoothe out the curve somewhat. Frankly, it feels like most of the game's bosses are underpowered in comparison to what even a mid-sized non-level-appropriate encounter can do to you.
2) The aforementioned cramped nature of all the maps (even outdoor areas) and the fact that you can't disengage combat (or even maneuver around enemies once you're in melee range) leave very few possibilities for out-of-sequence exploration unless you're prepared to pay the blood toll. That's very uncool.
3) Some story quests' elements can't be done out of sequence, which limits your potential. I've seen 2 major examples of this so far.
First, the air shard (that opens up what's basically A4 areas) is guarded in one of the dungeons near The Crag. It's possible to clear even in mid A2 (with right compo and effort), but you can't get to the 2nd level of the dungeon unless you know the password, and you can only get it from an NPC that spawns only ater you initiate a certain story quest in Karthal (early A3).
Second, the freemage to archmage promotion could technically be achieved in late A2 (the requisite area can be safely reached with water shard and it contains no enemies), but you can't even get the quest until mid-A3 because the quest-giver's state is tied to the main questline's state.

Rafidur

Learned

I played it at launch, and that was simply not my experience; I'm not discounting that it may have been yours, but for me the game ran flawlessly. I had zero bugs, and zero CTDs.

Found a steam thread with some examples:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/238750/discussions/0/143388408895102028/

I remember having to edit xml to get past game-breaking bugs, was not a good experience...

T. Reich

Arcane
AHAHAHA, OH WOW

I've finished MMXL, and the moment I'm back to game after the endgame slides and exit Karthal, I crash to desktop, and on relaunch I get the "Unlock content title" error, with all my saves corrupted.
Immaculate timing, to say the least.
:excellent:

Overall, I didn't experience any significant amount of bugs, though. I had one another CTD early in the game, with no identifiable cause, and it never happened again. And I consistently had the graphics glitch where some enemies are replaced by black or radiant white blotches, but that's about it. No gameplay-related bugs.

Overall, I enjoyed the game. Will play again some time in the future.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom