Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Chris Avellone grows a pair and fights back against being cancelled

Cool name

Arcane
And oh hey, ancient Desslock gives his even-handed support for Chris:

https://twitter.com/thedesslock/status/1408976447004418053

Chris Avellone was professionally sanctioned after being accused of inappropriate behavior.Allegations seemed ill-formed;were internally inconsistent & incorporated inflammatory hearsay,& media reporting exacerbated or contributed to those issues,in a misguided effort to”do good”

Which isn’t to state he did nothing wrong-I don’t know the underlying facts. Often perspectives, conflicting needs,and retrospective consideration of events often affect individual recollections of events. Humans & relationships are complicated and damage/pain/need/pride distort.

But Chris obviously feels his actions have been so badly misrepresented that they’re defamatory,and he feels it’s worth suing to set the record straight.Given the considerable obstacles associated with proving libel,he & counsel must feel strongly that it’s worthwhile & necessary

As a lawyer & sensible fellow-strongly believe in the rule of law & equal application of the law-some of society’s biggest problems are caused by unjust application of law,as onerous penalties are imposed on some while others commit even more egregious crimes without consequence.

Chris is guilty of necromancy at the very least, this proves he brings even ancient fossils back to life. And they still use the same profile picture as decades ago!

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I wish this court case ends quickly so I can start selling internet pitchforks to interested parties.

KevinV12000

Arcane
They're specifically requesting compensation for attorney fees too.

Wherefore, Avellone prays for judgment against Defendants as follows:
1. For actual and special damages, including emotional distress damages;
2. For general damages;
3. For costs of suit;
4. For punitive damages; and
5. For equitable relief in the form of a positive injunction.

I'm an attorney in the U.S. Sadly, "costs" are not the same thing as attorney fees. Costs are things like filing fees. They are minor. In the American legal system, the plaintiff and defendant bear their own costs, sadly.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
As a meninist and chaotic good connoisseur of justice delivery, I wish Christopher all the best with his court case and epic redemption arc glorious finale.
Godspeed, you beautiful, manly human bean.

Ravielsk

Magister
Just more fuel to the fire that proves that modern social media is a cancer for any society.

Good luck Chris.

That's not going to shut up the people who take the accusation as truth regardless and those are the business end of the cancelling.

Frankly (from the people that I know in real life that are like that) they're generally emotionally damaged people that, if social media didn't exist, wouldn't have any outlet.

Social media removes the burden of giving enough of a fuck to step outside of your door, along with many obvious social clues we've evolved to identify crazzy or unlikable people, causing the only way to deal with these people (ignoring them) to not be effective anymore.

While it might have helped some people which are in a shitty situation, I'm a firm believer that social media has caused, and will cause, far more harm than good in the long run.

The problem with modern social media is that they have been broken at a internal level for almost a decade now. They have extensive lists of "no no words" and bad behaviors that they will not tolerate but then their enforcement of those is extremely selective. Technically accusations like the ones leveled against Avellone go against the TOS of most of these sites but because these "platforms" wrapped themselves up in a ideological straight jacket they have to constantly tip toe around some people and topics.

If they were either entirely open, aka only banned and deleted objectively illegal content, or bothered to enforce their terms of service for all equally shit like this would not be happening as in scenario A the schizos would face natural backlash like in real life and in scenario B they would never get of the ground like anyone else. Either way the problem is not with the concept of social media but with the way it was warped in the last decade or so.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

Ringhausen

Augur
I'm an attorney in the U.S. Sadly, "costs" are not the same thing as attorney fees. Costs are things like filing fees. They are minor. In the American legal system, the plaintiff and defendant bear their own costs, sadly.
I imagine it would make suing rich people pretty hard if you had to pay for their billion dollar lawyer fees in case of losing.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Roguey any idea what Sawyer's take on all this is?

I did check and nothing.

However this guy replied to Karissa

Sorry you’re dealing with this once again. Apparently he just opted to block me over my comments last year. Love your way, bud.
PR Account Coordinator at @Stride_PR working on #DyingLight2 & awesome indies.

:hmmm:

At least he knows he's trash

Good question though!

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Our sensei, our master.

You cretins can learn. Quietly assess the situation, gather information, smile and wave, then.. at when the perfect moment presents itself

YOU KICK THAT BITCH IN THE CUNT with a surprise attack from out of nowhere.

The element of surprise, gentlemen.

Did you honestly think our Messiah sits idly by without concocting plans behind the curtain?

Fools.

One must never forget that "cancel culture" is really another form of censorship.

If it's not your favorite games being censored, it's someone else's.
If it's not blurring out content, it's removing content.
If it's not removing content, it's toning it down, whether through covering up female characters, making violence less intense, or abstaining from certain subjects altogether. Or even changing context.

This form of censorship here (cancel culture) is one that targets the creators of any thought provoking content whatsoever. Anybody with any talent or skill to make something that isn't ideological propaganda, is done away with.
You'll started to notice that this is really just an attack on culture rather than culture naturally imploding in on itself. The simple fact that any new up-and-coming creators that don't make the cut in these recent times because they're too worried about something from their past being dug up, tells you that this is indeed another form of censorship. No one wants to make anything, but more importantly, no one who has the potential to make anything amazing wants to get embark on that path. Making anything that actually engages, challenges, and offends in any manner, no matter how small, subjects you to the mob of groupthink ideological useful idiots.

I didn’t get anything when I left Obsidian. There were no share payouts, no equity, and this was in addition to the other logistical problems around the departure – the sudden cancellation of my health insurance, problems with my 401K, errors in Obsidian’s accounting, and several existing independent contracts they refused to uphold.

Would it be really that much of a stretch to suggest that rivals to MCA, the higher ups, were complicit in MCA's cancelling? This was his own company after all. Chris clearly didn't get along with his workplace, and knowing how connected the industry is, this could have all just been a ploy like it was suggested earlier in this thread to blacklist Avellone for good. His name already implies some weight to it when attached to a product. A lot of times when any form of character-assassination is occurring, it's utilizing the useful idiots as puppets by executives who themselves don't believer in the nonsense ideology of idiocy. Chris isn't the only one to have this done, I'm a big believer that Cosby himself was done away with in a similar manner really just because his words on blacks were things they needed to hear. Google his pound cake speech. Something that's often cited as a subject of ridicule when his trials were underway. But that's besides the point.

Chris, if you're reading this - fuck the industry. You could make a game all by yourself if you wanted to. Hell, that's what anyone who wants to give back to gaming as a whole, should do. Fuck corpos. Fuck the system. Fuck being blacklisted.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
How destroyed is his life, anyway ? He can afford decent lawyers and not as if there's a kill squad out for him. So really, simple lawsuit for cash is fine.

You are living proof that human being can't OD on being retarded, because at this point your account would be inactive for good few minutes after typing this post.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
One must never forget that "cancel culture" is really another form of censorship.

If it's not your favorite games being censored, it's someone else's.
If it's not blurring out content, it's removing content.
If it's not removing content, it's toning it down, whether through covering up female characters, making violence less intense, or abstaining from certain subjects altogether. Or even changing context.

This form of censorship here (cancel culture) is one that targets the creators of any thought provoking content whatsoever. Anybody with any talent or skill to make something that isn't ideological propaganda, is done away with.
You'll started to notice that this is really just an attack on culture rather than culture naturally imploding in on itself. The simple fact that any new up-and-coming creators that don't make the cut in these recent times because they're too worried about something from their past being dug up, tells you that this is indeed another form of censorship. No one wants to make anything, but more importantly, no one who has the potential to make anything amazing wants to get embark on that path. Making anything that actually engages, challenges, and offends in any manner, no matter how small, subjects you to the mob of groupthink ideological useful idiots.

I didn’t get anything when I left Obsidian. There were no share payouts, no equity, and this was in addition to the other logistical problems around the departure – the sudden cancellation of my health insurance, problems with my 401K, errors in Obsidian’s accounting, and several existing independent contracts they refused to uphold.

Would it be really that much of a stretch to suggest that rivals to MCA, the higher ups, were complicit in MCA's cancelling? This was his own company after all. Chris clearly didn't get along with his workplace, and knowing how connected the industry is, this could have all just been a ploy like it was suggested earlier in this thread to blacklist Avellone for good. His name already implies some weight to it when attached to a product. A lot of times when any form of character-assassination is occurring, it's utilizing the useful idiots as puppets by executives who themselves don't believer in the nonsense ideology of idiocy. Chris isn't the only one to have this done, I'm a big believer that Cosby himself was done away with in a similar manner really just because his words on blacks were things they needed to hear. Google his pound cake speech. Something that's often cited as a subject of ridicule when his trials were underway. But that's besides the point.

Chris, if you're reading this - fuck the industry. You could make a game all by yourself if you wanted to. Hell, that's what anyone who wants to give back to gaming as a whole, should do. Fuck corpos. Fuck the system. Fuck being blacklisted.
Very well said, since i can't give ratings here's a :bro::brodex:

Sentinel

Arcane
There's no reason for the Codex to be proud - the vast majority of people supported Chris out of a cult of personality and for political reasons because of who was accusing him.

Or he's actually good at his job, unlike the vast majority of the social lampreys who try to cancel any decent talent because of envy and being in the way of failfucking their way through their "career".

Also see: Vampire Bloodlines 2
You're proving my point.

I see it's not just the SJWs on witch hunt who are keen on wishful thinking. The industry needs actual talent to make good RPG writing, so of course an RPG site might cheer on a good writer under attack.
That would be true if MCA actually did any writing anymore, but he has been de facto retired since 2012, with no desire to ever have his own project again. Even before this his reputation had taken a massive hit because people were misatributting shit writing done by others to Avellone.

Again, you're just proving my point. You support him, no questions asked, because he wrote some good RPGs. Nothing to do with his behavior or probability of the events actually happening - and considering that Avellone was a borderline alcoholic who went to a lot of conventions, it's not hard to believe, at first glance, some of the things he was accused of might have actually happened.

MuckMan

Learned
Nice, good to hear! I feared, that he will remain silent after this shitshow last year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom