Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Need coping mechanisms to deal with gaming's massive decline

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Title.

Also secondary question, did any good games even come out in 2021 so far?

edit: I'm so fucking bored I've been starting to do work in my free time. Drugs and sex only do so much.

Last edited:

WhiteShark

Learned
edit: I'm so fucking bored I've been starting to do work in my free time.
But isn't this ultimately a good thing? Surely it's more satisfying to accomplish something (like making your own game) than it is to play someone else's game.

That said, as much as I sympathize about the general decline of gaming, surely there are many games you have yet to try. Why even bother looking at what came out in 2021 when you have the whole history of games to look through? Anything that releases in 2021 won't even be feature complete until 2022 anyway given the state of the industry, post-release updates and dlc etc.

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
Time for a different hobby perhaps? It's perfectly fine to outgrow things. If it feels like you're no longer the target audience, you probably are. And it won't be getting better.
Get into boardgames. You need other people for it, but thanks to stuff like Tabletop Simulator you can stay at home on your PC.

If you want to keep trying, there's probably plenty of good older games you never played.
Depends on how far you want to go back in time.
Try getting into other genres or emulate consoles to check out some of the classics.

You can also play games you liked and know very well but switch to a different language - try to learn something new this way.

Skullcrusha

Novice
I agree with the aforementioned statements to play old games.

Personally I'm at a point where I just cycle through games I already played before and know by heart.
Occasionally I force myself to try something new.

You could also try to play DnD or another PnP RPG if you haven't already.
It can be a very creative, intriguing and fun experience.

lightbane

Arcane
Play Japanese games that are not from So(y)ny or Capcom, you'll have plenty of material. Some indies are still worth a look, like Little Nightmares 2.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Have you finished Prelude to Darkness or The Void yet?

If not, then stop complaining and fuck off.

Naraya

Arcane
As said above - old games. I bet there are gems that you haven't played yet.

Other than that - the times we live in are excellent for emulation. For someone like me, who never had a console in his life, it's a completely new world and I'm exploring it step by step. You can also have ton of fun with 8-bit or 16-bit microcomputer emulation. It's never been easier and there are tons of games to be played in such a way!

Starwars

Arcane
If you're into RPG's, just think back on the dark ages after the release of Bloodlines or thereabouts.

Machocruz

Arcane
It's a sign you need to be a producer instead of a consumer now, nigga. No reason to be bored in the first world. Get an exercise habit, draw, sculpt, make music, take classes, volunteer, write a tabletop game, fight some niggas, whatever.

thesecret1

Arcane
Try new genres and sub-genres – there's a lot of good places hidden in places you didn't think to check before.

Yuji

Barely Literate
Go through your Steam library and see if there's things you haven't played yet. I get bunches of things I've never played from either Humble Bundles or forgetting that I bought them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom