Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Yakuza 4 remasered,quite an improvement compared to 3.There are 4 playable characters in this one,including Kiryu,each one with his own unique fighting style.They are interesting new characters especially Akiyama and Tanimura,Saejima as a character and fighting style is probably the weakest.The story is mostly good although it gets a bit overcomplicated for its own good and just trying to have a final boss for each of the 4 feels forced.Graphics are a bit better than 3 but not some great improvement.A good but not great entry in the series.Recommended

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Fallout New Vegas - My first and probably only playthough. Fairly bland and boring in my opinion. It has it charms but it doesn't hold a candle to Fallout 1 / 2. Heck I even enjoyed Tactics better. At this point I just want to complete it just so I can say I did.

Great first post here. Your place in the containment zone that is the shoutbox is hereby already secured.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Wrapping up the Metro Exodus DLC so I can finally close the book on the game for good, It's weird man. I played every Dishonored before I touched Thief, and upon returning to the former after beholding the latter I had only an improved opinion. It feels like the opposite is true now that I've beaten all 3 STALKER games and gone back to Metro for a replay.

Anyways, with the Steam Summer Sale on I've decided I want to try something new, and I want some opinions. I'm a stupid gaijin and I wanna get more into JRPGs, and I'm looking for some good entry-games to existing monolith-franchises. Yakuza 0 I already own, Final Fantasy IX is currently in my shopping cart, The Legend of Mana remaster looks neat, the cultural osmosis of Nier Automata is inescapable and everyone seems to like Persona 4 and SMT III. Oh yeah, and Dragon's Dogma.

Machocruz

Arcane
Wrapping up the Metro Exodus DLC so I can finally close the book on the game for good, It's weird man. I played every Dishonored before I touched Thief, and upon returning to the former after beholding the latter I had only an improved opinion. It feels like the opposite is true now that I've beaten all 3 STALKER games and gone back to Metro for a replay.

Anyways, with the Steam Summer Sale on I've decided I want to try something new, and I want some opinions. I'm a stupid gaijin and I wanna get more into JRPGs, and I'm looking for some good entry-games to existing monolith-franchises. Yakuza 0 I already own, Final Fantasy IX is currently in my shopping cart, The Legend of Mana remaster looks neat, the cultural osmosis of Nier Automata is inescapable and everyone seems to like Persona 4 and SMT III. Oh yeah, and Dragon's Dogma.
Dude. Dooooood. SMT 3 is that nigga. It goes to the top of the list. Or not, because every traditional JRPG (party, turn based) after that will feel like the dog's dinner.

Same goes for Dragons Dogma and jap ARPGs.

Last edited:

Keshik

Arcane
40k Mechanicus, had this for 2 years and didn't remember it 'til now. Fun game so far, slowly getting my priests up to a level where they don't get one shot. One of the rare good 40k games, hah.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I always think I like Morrowind, want to play it, install it. Then I get bored after like 5-10 hours. Every single time. I think I'd need to go into a truly deep LARP mindset to really love it.

Same here, only it's always 5-10 minutes before I get bored. But I have attempted it at least 5 times.

Puukko

Arcane

Doubt you can really go wrong with any of those. I recommend DD for action, Yakuza for story and SMT3 for good ol' dungeon crawlan. Make sure to drop by the JRPG thread.

curds

Magister
I always think I like Morrowind, want to play it, install it. Then I get bored after like 5-10 hours. Every single time. I think I'd need to go into a truly deep LARP mindset to really love it.

Same here, only it's always 5-10 minutes before I get bored. But I have attempted it at least 5 times.
the thing with morrowind is that, on paper, it seems like the best game of all time. but in reality it's just a decent game that gets boring very quickly unless you have a larper's imagination. took me a long time to learn this.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Playing a couple of games right now -

For Honor - It's overrated, imo. I find it to be a bit of a slog, and the clunky and unresponsive controls don't help. Every input you make feels delayed, and that's not good, especially when the blocking system relies on you moving the mouse to the right spot. It feels like Mount and Blade or Kingdom come, but worse.

Hellpoint - I got this free from GOG. A lot of people call it a souls like, but I think it's more like bloodborne - you have a quick little dodge, there's an emphasis on aggression and you get guns, except they actually deal damage. It's actually not that bad, I was expecting something a lot more jank. The combat is actually decent and the enemy design is certainly interesting. In terms of level design it's a little hit or miss. On one hand, you have large levels with a lot of hidden treasures that reward exploration. On the other hand, the levels are also convoluted and easy to get lost in, there are a lot of instant death falls and for some unholy reason the devs decided to add platforming, complete with a jump button. Which feels like arse to use because the jumps are floaty.
That's main problem with hellpoint really - there are some good ideas and neat concepts, but they're undermined by the devs obsession with tedium and convolution.
Some examples -
+ There are special doors called Black Hole Doors that unlock at a certain time. These doors have loot (cool idea!)
- However, these doors will not unlock unless you input certain codes at a certain terminal. These codes are scattered throughout the game and are really easy to miss. You can only have a couple of codes active at a time (tedious)
+ The main hub is where you upgrade your weapons, and you need to upgrade your weapons unless you want to get spanked by the game's absurd difficulty spikes (pretty standard for a souls-like, really)
- No way to teleport back to it to prepare for a boss, unless you have an extremely rare, one use item, meaning that you have to be extremely careful about what breach to use it on (well that's bullshit)
+ You get a lot of damage types and weapons have abilities that unlock the more you use them (cool idea!)
- No way to actually see what the damage types do or what abilities you've unlocked because the inventory UI is crap (well shit)
+ Health items recharge when you deal damage in melee (neat idea, encourages getting stuck in)
- By the time you recharge a use the fight is over because the leech value tends to be pretty low (goddammit...at least energy recharges fast so you can just shoot everything)
+ Huge areas with lots of secrets and loot (great!)
- They all look the same, with grey metal walls and poor lighting (of fucking course)
You get the idea. It's not a terrible game and is passable, but it's held back by some rather awkward ideas. To use a crude analogy, it's like Dark Souls II, but without a budget, without polish and made by the French (well, French-Canadians, but close enough)

Last edited:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Soma (2015) was on sale for cheap so I purchased it. Thought it would be worth it, since someone here said it was good a while back - it's been on my wishlist for about 4 years, and I forgot about it.

The game is a stealth Dear Esther with puzzles, enemies, and a lot of travel - the best way I can describe it. After an accident that kills your girlfriend and gives you brain damage, you go in for an experimental brain scan. Next, you wake up and it's 100 years later in a science facility. What happened? How did I get here? Why are there no weapons, not even a kitchen knife, or a large piece of metal? Slowly the game unfolds over the 10 hours it took me to finish. Start hearing folks over intercoms and other recordings and got a System Shock 2 vibe of every voice you hear you discover that they are dead when you reach them. You do run into some 'folks' as you traverse the story so its not that bad.

The story itself is good with a great ending. I didn't care for how ignorant the main char is at times in the story, but it's competent. The stealth mechanics were so-so, but it's not too important as you do not encounter a large amount of enemies. The environment can be interacted with to a low degree and looks pretty good - never played a game with underwater as well done or even close. The levels and location go by at a good pace so you never get sick of one area and they don't force you to be anywhere too long. The puzzles add a bit, but none of them took more than 2 minutes to figure out so they broke things up when they were found, but overall didn't add a lot.

The bad? No inventory other than what you are last seen shoving in your pockets, no weapons other than what were needed, no way that I could tell to play back the last instructions (not a big deal, but a nice to have), and the worst part: there really wasn't much of a reason to explore. In some instances it added some dimension but if you wanted to look around on a level to see if there are any buffs, useful items, or anything to make your life easier, well, it isn't there. Kind of missed an opportunity here, as they created a great world with good assets and but gave you no reason to look around. Reminds me of Mafia II in some ways - good world but outside the mission the world is sterile, good looking, and dull.

Overall, glad I finished it but too much visual novel - not enough interactive story. Would have preferred interactive shooter with a story, but as it was, it was worth the $6 I paid for it.

Billi205

Novice
Having some good time with Hollow Knight after getting it on sale (50% off!). By having a good time, I mean practising my stress management skill at the 3 mantis lords...
:shredder:

ChaDargo

Arcane
I've been playing Bioshock Infinite to finally see why people shit their pants (lied?) about the amazing(!!!) story. Getting my story fag on in the worst way possible I think, not too far yet but uh, no idea what's going on. I'm guess when the girl shows up I'll learn something meaningful (lol?).

If this sucks ass, I'm jumping into Hollow Knight. Last game I beat a few days ago was Sundered, which was fucking awesome. I'm nervous Hollow Knight will let me down, but I love Metroidvanias and my fingers are crossed that the hype for HK is real! Seems daunting. Not the challenge (SMB is my bitch), but the length and breadth of the game. Will it consume me?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I've been playing Bioshock Infinite to finally see why people shit their pants (lied?) about the amazing(!!!) story. Getting my story fag on in the worst way possible I think, not too far yet but uh, no idea what's going on. I'm guess when the girl shows up I'll learn something meaningful (lol?).

If this sucks ass, I'm jumping into Hollow Knight. Last game I beat a few days ago was Sundered, which was fucking awesome. I'm nervous Hollow Knight will let me down, but I love Metroidvanias and my fingers are crossed that the hype for HK is real! Seems daunting. Not the challenge (SMB is my bitch), but the length and breadth of the game. Will it consume me?

The story is overrated, don't bother. It's AAA pretentious wankery.
The gameplay isn't that good either. The first two bioshock games had less linear levels, more exploration, better atmosphere and more emphasis on plasmids and environmental damage.

ChaDargo

Arcane

The gameplay isn't that good either. The first two bioshock games had less linear levels, more exploration, better
atmosphere and more emphasis on plasmids and environmental damage.

Yeah, I played Bioshock 2 and it was a lot more open and interesting. So far I'm just forced down corridors and set pieces and gliding along some sort of gay rail shit with my hook arm thing. I feel like I'm not even playing 3/4 of the time, and then I shoot the same retarded dudes 1/4 of combat while 3/4 of it is just hitting them with my hook arm for an insta-kill. I do not understand what the hype was about this fucking game ...

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

The gameplay isn't that good either. The first two bioshock games had less linear levels, more exploration, better

Yeah, I played Bioshock 2 and it was a lot more open and interesting. So far I'm just forced down corridors and set pieces and gliding along some sort of gay rail shit with my hook arm thing. I feel like I'm not even playing 3/4 of the time, and then I shoot the same retarded dudes 1/4 of combat while 3/4 of it is just hitting them with my hook arm for an insta-kill. I do not understand what the hype was about this fucking game ...
the hype was mostly marketing and coasting on the success of the previous two games. As I remember it doesn't get much better

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

the hype was mostly marketing and coasting on the success of the previous two games. As I remember it doesn't get much better

They cut away most of what they showed before release too, iirc. We basically received half a game.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Just finished Loom, a lucasarts quest.
It's not difficult and rather short but it's a very beatiful looking game with a great ost.

Kinda sad that the ending is a cliffhanger, sorta.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Bought Return to Obra Dinn from sale, finished it after 3 sessions I think. Very enjoyable mystery game. And I think it's a good example of how to do a 1-man project with a shoelace budget without the end product feeling cheap. Black and white, no textures and only a couple of animations. You try to figure out the identities and deaths of the passengers of a ship. All scenes start with a small voiced bit in complete black that ends to the propped up 3D still. Didn't even realize it at first that nothing is animated because when you hear people arguing and a gunshot that leads into the scene of someone falling to the ground, you piece it together inside your head. Very manageable workflow compared to having several dozen animated cutscenes and all the texture work for all the assets.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Playing Wolfenstein: The New Order
It's ok I guess. The gunplay and combat is fine, but there's a lot of dumb bullshit.
Stealth is overpowered and silly. Stealth kill animations are too long, too noisy and don't alert guards even if it's happening right next to them. After every level there's a lengthy cut scene where you're subjected to terrible writing and world building.
Also, they keep taking away your weapons. Like, after every level. That's just fucking annoying.
Saving system is checkpoint based, which is clear indicator that it was meant for consoles and is therefore popamole.

I am having fun, but it suffers from the typical AAA traits.

Last edited:

cosmicray

Savant
Football Manager 2020 - because Euro 2020 happened so I couldn't resist.
Subnautica - I hate survival games, but this one is different. More about exploration.
VtM: Bloodlines - because of all other games, I'm a bit slow in playing. Combat, just as I relembered, is meh.
Disco Elysium - Oh, why the hell I started another game. And the one I want to continue playing.

Ivan

Arcane
Replaying Dragon's Dogma after enjoying Itsuno's DMC5. I can see where the fun is, it feels like a more hack-n-slashy Gothic game. Enemies are too spongey for me to make the Diablo comparison. I went with an archer/assassin this time and the ranged combat feels fantastic, they did a great job with the camera movements and making archery feel like an impactful third person shooter. Exploration has been neat too, not knowing where more significant dangers lie reminds me of the exploration I enjoyed so much in Gothic 1+2.

Ivan

Arcane
Dragon's Dogma

I was curious about replaying this after the success of DMC5 and seeing the enthusiasm for a sequel. I finished the campaign but remember dropping it off in the DLC years ago. I wanted to see why the game failed to leave a lasting impression on me. I replayed the game up through arriving to the main city hub.

strengths:
-voice acting and writing are well done
-the animation quality and world architechture is top notch, moving and climbing is fluid, it kind of makes me wish there were more involved mechanics like climbing or swimming. mounting is pretty automated
-monster design is awesome, just as I remembered

weakness:
-not sure if there's an option to display damage dealt, but I identified my biggest issue in finding the fun for me here is that most of the enemies receive little damage except for the dmg type they happen to be weak to. Such that, it makes the combat feel flimsy and un-skillful. I.E. the stats of my weapons matters more than my input as a player
-never been a fan of pause-menu based healing and it sucks here too. I turned off the stamina drain from sprinting since I do recall that being annoying, but you still have to spend a good amount of time in menus for healing, curing debuffs, etc

TLDR: I wish the combat was more Gothic/Soulsy since the world IS fun to explore and the enemies look and animate very well. As it stands, I have found the combat to be terribly boring due to the damage values. Damn shame since the attack animations and the visual effects are FANTASTIC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom