Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizard's Crown

Ladonna

Arcane
At the moment, this is the most advanced version. I mentioned a game company in my speculation thread and it is quite probable that this game plus Eternal Dagger along with the Phantasie games will be released as mobile downloads. Redoing the code for a mobile release would likely involve little effort. The company also trademarked SSI so it is probable that more of the SSI catalog comes under their new copyrights.

Yeah, I am interested in seeing how these pan out. I have never played RPG's on mobile platforms before, so I will reserve judgement until I then.

DaveO

Erudite
My speculation is guesswork at the moment. There is always a chance for a new release of the game, a remaster of some sort, or something totally out of left field. I have not inquired the company besides giving them my best figures for a pending novella release. They know what I'm doing, so there is a chance they'll advance their plans to take advantage of my work.

DaveO

Erudite
The best version for ST emulation is 3.2. I tried a higher version, and it does not seem to work even with different options. 3.2 is a version before newer things were added. Save states are available, but it seems a bit static since once I save a state the exact same thing happens with no randomization. This puts a serious dent into the playtime since you really want emulation that can save and load states quickly. Atari 800 Win and the Apple emulators do this. ST emulation seems like save states are best for reloads and not character improvements. This may only apply to Wizard's Crown.

DaveO

Erudite
I tried a higher version of the ST emulation, but the same static part applies for save states. I really don't feel like going into the file every time to save data using a hex editor.

EDIT - I am sticking with STEEM 3.2 and it does have an option to fast forward the emulation. I can do a reboot in about a minute for character improvement. Due to no sequel on ST, I'll check out the beginning part of the game to determine differences although I really can't recommend the ST version even if it is the most advanced. The previously mentioned AppleWin is by far the best bet. Its save states are seamless, and it has a bug where your fights always last long at night so this means a quicker game completion.

Last edited:

DaveO

Erudite
I got ambushed rescuing the girl, but this is a risk for any day 1 party. I had to revert to a previous save since one of my characters was killed but I did have two successful encounters that gained me enough experience to improve the characters. Aside from the ambush, at the moment the encounter difficulty seems pretty much the same. Now the ST version does have good graphics and the mouse driven interface is actually pretty good. A better comparison would be once I get around game day 10. This is a way to do a decent comparison without a huge investment.

DaveO

Erudite
So, I managed to JUST sneak in my novella based off this game on 7/31. Unfortunately, it is available ONLY via Amazon. I have both paperback and Kindle versions available and the title is called Wrath of the Wizard's Crown. I'm pretty sure the marketing is up to me now, but I'll check with the people I worked with to get it published.

Now I did progress just a bit in the ST version. It's still early to tell, but the random generator was quite nice to provide me a few good treasures to sell along with a fine flail. I'm changing my skill progression since the experience costs get high past 150 and you're better off developing your offensive potential. A weapon skill of 100 is not a huge experience sink and then I put my experience back into the skills I am developing(Haggle, Search, and Evaluate). I already have Haggle and Evaluate at 150 and less than 10 morale loss.

DaveO

Erudite
The group runs into rats, and that is considered a random encounter. Plus, I did have to include the party versus trolls instead of thugs when rescuing the girl. It's not a straight telling from the game itself. I have deviated in an attempt at a better story.

DaveO

Erudite
I'm still not done yet with the first game day on the ST version, but I find it interesting that the random generator is so generous. I found a +1 scimitar, and to the best of my knowledge I have never found a magic weapon on the first game day. Usually, you'll find your first magic weapon within the first 5-10 game days. A lot of this is no doubt just luck and your mileage will vary.

DaveO

Erudite
The ST version has ambushes by enemies more often. Even with a decent scan skill, I tried against rats as an experiment and more often than not I'm ambushed even on the easiest difficulty. It is possible that the game is basing ambushes off the point person's dexterity as well as the Scan skill.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Kind of sucks Eternal Dagger didn't come out on the ST. I had a pretty smoking group on my c64. I can't recall but I think you could reset dungeons. Was pretty bored so I'd just regrind areas. An ST ED would have been cool. DOS was fine for the load speed and it isn't like there is a lot of sound & music. There are scant vids on youtube and I saw no OST so probably nothing.

The Eternal Dagger 1987 Apple II, Atari 8-bit, Commodore 64 Strategic Simulations, Inc. ...

Wizard's Crown 1986 Apple II, Atari 8-bit, Atari ST, Commodore 64, DOS

I still haven't tried this out yet:
https://www.wargamevault.com/m/product/365381

365381.png

I'm rather curious how well this plays.
https://archive.org/details/commodore-power-play-18/page/n23/mode/2up

Last edited:

Breshard

Novice
Looks like some old SSi games came out on GOG. I noticed Wizard's Crown, Questron 2 and Sword of Aragon. Looks like they just did the DOS versions which are generally the worst on games before the late 80s or so and will be missing some games if the whole SSI back catalog is being done, Questron 1, Eternal Dagger and Phantasie 2 never had DOS ports from what i remember, not sure if others.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, there are ways to still get them I believe. What sucks is the striking away of the other platforms. I playedmost of these on c64 and and never hit DOS.

Take ROD for example

You can get starcraft version for 68000 but the rest NOPE (and NO, it was never DOS).

This is just lazy repackaging to get a quick buck. Hell, I think someone is trying to do that yo ALL abandonware. If they're going to do it the do the win3.2, 95/98, win2000, and such games that have been irksome on newer win10+ machines.

They might do a lazy apple/c64 emulation port.... maybe.

DaveO

Erudite
GoG's release of the DOS version of the game is a bit puzzling. I know it's the easiest solution, but you lose Eternal Dagger which Atari, Apple II, and C64 emulation have. I know that emulation can be a slippery slope, but in my opinion if GoG really wants people to download and pay for this it should be part of a bundle.

I did complete the first game day under Atari ST emulation. I somehow survived two rat combat encounters and even got another magic weapon on the first day.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah, SSI had a thing where some sequels weren't on various gaming machines. I was lucky to have a c64 but the ST/amiga had some nice gfx for those games. I can't say the sound was always great though.

I recall going through old gaming catalogs and magazines and drooling over ST/Amiga gfx for Gauntlet and various arcade games. Bardstale was fantastic but I still loved the c64 version.

Imho, the old SSI games need a facelift with the old games of all versions in that bundle. Have options window to switch to whatever graphical/sound preference on the fly (won't change your party) and for those who can't stand old interface, maybe add some QOL that had been suggested over the decades.

MAKE THE GAMES SERIES EACH A BUNDLE PACKAGE FOR EASY PARTY TRANSFERRING!!!

Old games often get looked down upon. But SSI was a staple of my purchasing back in the day (well my dad started it but when i got cash i kept it up).

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'm still having issues with FAUE or is it FAEU? FUAE? Fucking Ultimate Amiga Emulator?? W/e. Mac emu pisses me off. I should try a speccy emu.
PC88,98, fm-towns, sharp series etc I need to start.

As to consols, only have atari, nes, snes, gba, gbc/gb, all sega master system through genesis 32xCD, game gear, colecovision, ps1-2, psp... probably about it. I just haven't revved up my enthusiasm to get these working flawlessly with launchbox bigbox full package. Maybe I should stick with hover bovver and string trimmer brush butchering until it returns.

Ah summer.... time to make some weeds and briars scream as the bleed GREEN!

DaveO

Erudite
Has anybody played the ST version besides me? I'm very curious about differences in ST versus 800 or my previous page comments about Apple(if any). ST without a reliable save state for skill increases eats up a lot of time, but I might push beyond the first day in the game just to compare yet another version of this game. I still have the Apple day 15 WC group and my Apple ED party transferred from Wizard's Crown.

I found on the GameFaqs forums where the White Rabbits are supposed to be:
2nd South Map of the Ruins, in the bottom left area has a single Forest Tile. Don't step on it unless you're decently equipped and no Morale loss. It's a reference to Monty Python Holy Grail as you'll face against a horde of White Rabbits. When you kill them you'll get lots of good treasure, but after you exit post-fight camp, you can step on the Tile again and search the area for more treasure.

There are two locations that I believe match the description: Either the very bottom of the map(where a name is spelled out) and to the leftmost side, or southeast of Gozaroth's place where there is a lone forest tile all by itself.

EDIT - I pulled up my old Atari party and confirmed that the White Rabbits are indeed southeast of Gozaroth's place. It also looks like you can only beat them once.

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Has anybody played the ST version besides me? I'm very curious about differences in ST versus 800 or my previous page comments about Apple(if any). ST without a reliable save state for skill increases eats up a lot of time, but I might push beyond the first day in the game just to compare yet another version of this game. I still have the Apple day 15 WC group and my Apple ED party transferred from Wizard's Crown.

I found on the GameFaqs forums where the White Rabbits are supposed to be:
2nd South Map of the Ruins, in the bottom left area has a single Forest Tile. Don't step on it unless you're decently equipped and no Morale loss. It's a reference to Monty Python Holy Grail as you'll face against a horde of White Rabbits. When you kill them you'll get lots of good treasure, but after you exit post-fight camp, you can step on the Tile again and search the area for more treasure.

There are two locations that I believe match the description: Either the very bottom of the map(where a name is spelled out) and to the leftmost side, or southeast of Gozaroth's place where there is a lone forest tile all by itself.

EDIT - I pulled up my old Atari party and confirmed that the White Rabbits are indeed southeast of Gozaroth's place. It also looks like you can only beat them once.

I played the Atari XE version on my old Atari XE 130. This is pretty much the ST version since the XE was a lower powered Atar STi. I did not beat the game until I played many years later through DosBox (~25 years). To tell you the truth, I couldn't tell you the difference between the two because of the time gap. The versions are so old, that I doubt there are significant differences between the versions. It's interesting that you did find some slight differences, however. That's kind of some neat info, but I doubt you'll find many more differences between the Apple and PC versions.

DaveO

Erudite
The skills seem pretty much the same in terms of the Atari 800 version versus ST emulation. For example, Turn Undead works well enough at 100 skill or so versus 150 or so on Apple. I still have not gone very far in ST, but it seems like the most advanced version of the game. Unfortunately, the STEEM emulator does not have good enough of a save state system to use. I have no idea about Commodore emulation, but experiencing three different emulators is enough for me. I'll leave it up to whoever still plays the game to decide which version they want.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Hmmm, lemne think which ST emulator I use. I know there is a better one. I'd have to check my Phantasy entries... or my desktop.

800 looks like Altirra
St steem64 or hatari64
Amiga i need to brush up on again. I always get distracted and usually by the time I fuck around MAC emu.

Did STEEM have at least 1 save state?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Hmm...I used Steem when playing the Phantasie games and I don't recall any problems with save states.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So how do you know which classes the pregens are, or your characters are after you created them? I can't see that info anywhere in-game? Does one have to deduce it from the skills and actions available?

I figured I should give this game another chance, with less whining and better preperation this time. Also, using the ST version, at least to refamiliarize myself with the game.
It's too bad SSI's 16 bit version of their games were always such lazy ports, while EA did a great job with for example The Bard's Tale. You'd think that with the Atari ST the UI would be somewhat streamlined, and you would be able to click on characters and enemies on the battlefield instead of always having to hit the Next button so often.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, while it would have been nice for a line or two to tell you the profession you chose it doesn’t. The skills you have and starting numbers is as close as you’ll get according to the manual. It has been a while so I don’t recall if you can choose multiple professions based on your stat minimums. I forget the random range in the starting skills as well based on stats (if that does affect it).

Basically, know the names of your alts and jot down the profession they chose on paper. Lessee if gamefaq has done extended starting analysis.

Edit—-
Gamefaq

This line confirms you can multi-class.
I recommend looting the current party (or at least ditching them) and setting up
a group that works as follows:

* 4 Fighter-clerics (12 intelligence) using claymores. 11/10 dexterity/life.
* 3 Fighter-mages (16 intelligence) using claymores. 9/8 dexterity/life.
* 1 Fighter-thief-ranger (11 intelligence) using claymores. 11/11
dexterity/life. Rangers are worthless in WC, but they'll get powerful later.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom