Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Chris Avellone grows a pair and fights back against being cancelled

passerby

Arcane
He had three sane options:

1. Do nothing <- This is what we thought he did
  2. Consult a lawyer and issue a statement. <- This would have suppressed the opportunity to gather evidence (people get scared when real lawyers are involved, they delete their tweets, etc.)
  3. Consult a lawyer but do not issue a statement. Let your accuser gloat and posture on twitter while documenting everything.

3 is the correct choice.

1. Is not a sane option, but it is what he did.
2. This had a chance to inetrrupt the process of cancellation.
3. After failing at executing 2) and realising he is cancelled, he could as well take his time to prepare for an uphill battle for dignity and he did.

If the goal was to try to fuck up Karissa then 3) may be slightly more effective. If the goal was to save his career 2) was the only sane option.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Yep, he didn't interrupt the enemy while his life was being ruined, so he can prove now that his life is ruined.
Everything that has any chance to fuck her up, was posted by her in the first week, or before, anyway.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut

anyone know if this guy is objective or has an agenda? /haven't watched the video yet

not going to waste time watching such a long video to hear someone's opinion
going to guess a californian attorney knows more about california law than a michigan attorney

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

anyone know if this guy is objective or has an agenda? /haven't watched the video yet

I glanced through, he seems pretty neutral. His overall conclusion was that Chris is going to have a hard time with his lawsuit, but he didn't claim victory was impossible.

He made the point that losing this would potentially put him in a worse spot in terms of denying the accusations as it could end up giving weight to the accusations.

I honestly have no idea who to believe with this stuff, as every lawyer seems to have different opinion of his chances.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Listened to the conclusion, he's coming at it neutrally but has a very pessimistic assessment because of the burden of proof required of Avellone.

Dycedarg

Learned

I only watched the conclusion. Didn't seem like the guy was taking a shot at Avellone or anything of the kind. Just analysing how difficult it is to win a case like that.

Eli_Havelock

Learned

Listened to the conclusion, he's coming at it neutrally but has a very pessimistic assessment because of the burden of proof required of Avellone.

That already sounds like it was certainly a bit better than his dips into examining the Star Control lawsuit. Can't find a couple of those for some reason...

Dycedarg

Learned
The thing is, those thots are probably broke as fuck. If there's any lawyer here, I'd like to know how expensive is it to defend against a libel case, assuming it isn't immediately dismissed.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I honestly have no idea who to believe with this stuff, as every lawyer seems to have different opinion of his chances.

Well, like most things of this nature: he has at least a reasonable case, but it's all a crap shoot that has to be tested in a court to sort through things one way or another. Going to court is always a risk, no matter how strong your case appears to be.

Sentinel

Arcane
1.) There was very few evidence brought to the public, just supposed witnesses. The only evidence brought forth of Avellone's weird behavior was the message screencap. Despite there not being much evidence and the allegations being relatively empty, Avellone chose not to defend himself, and, as I said one hundred times, this is seen as an admission of guilt in any western civil judicial or societal system, whether you like it or not. I already posted an analogy to evidence this before, but 2 people chose to hilariously misinterpret it and pivot instead of engaging with it honestly.

Well this line of thinking seems to be awfully similar to the whole “if you were raped why haven’t you gone to the police right away” type argumentation that is seen as increasingly abhorrent in any western judicial system though.

I mean its 2021 so why not just respond by saying “I was in such a shock that I couldn’t really do anything until now.” It certainly does seem to work for all kinds of accusers pretty well.
That's because we're talking about two different things. More than half the people who have been replying to me are replying to a strawman their schizo minds created and their replies have nothing to do with my posts. Even after I specifically clarified what I was talking about, I still got people talking to me about the criminal justice system and how "the evidence against klarissa exonerated Avellone", as if that has anything at all to do with what I said.
I'm not saying Avellone is guity and I'm not saying he'd be found guilty in a criminal court. Note that in that post I refer to the civil judicial system, where the presumption of innocence doesn't apply.

You're in part misinterpreting my post and making it about the criminal justice system, and in part you're making a false equivalency between a rape accusation and a libel accusation. There's various reasons why someone won't go to the police immediately after a rape - the humiliation and destruction of their ego being the most prominent ones. There's not many reasons to not defend yourself on twitter when accused of sexual harassment and immediately submitting to them though.

I will clarify again: I never said anything about how guilty Avellone was, I never said anything about criminal court. My post was about how the case was perceived in the days immediately after the initial accusations - before any evidence exonerating him came forth -, why the people who vigorously defended him without knowing the man personally did it, and why there is no reason for them (or us) to feel especially proud of themselves (or ourselves).

PS: That line of thinking isn't seen as increasingly abhorrent in western judicial systems, don't let twitter fool you. The time distance between the accusation and the alleged rape is still a consideration in determining the probability of the violation happening and getting a conviction, which is one of the reasons why victims are massively encouraged to go to the police immediately.

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
There's various reasons why someone won't go to the police immediately after a rape - the humiliation and destruction of their ego being the most prominent ones. There's not many reasons to not defend yourself on twitter when accused of sexual harassment and immediately submitting to them though.

I can think of a few reasons not to defend yourself on twitter after being accused of sexual harrassment, a place renown for fairness and calm deliberation. For example, the humiliation and destruction of their ego being the most prominent ones.

False accusations are just a different rape.

Zayne

Scholar
The thing is, those thots are probably broke as fuck. If there's any lawyer here, I'd like to know how expensive is it to defend against a libel case, assuming it isn't immediately dismissed.
That's USA we're speaking of. I bet there're dozens of charities which will gladly pay lawyer costs for poor victims of sexual predator.

mondblut

Arcane
I would for once favor merging this thread with the other one to keep our commentary behind the paywall. As unlikely as it gets, it's unwise to grant oven dodgers any potential ammo to use in court.

Infinitron do your qaballah

Last edited:

Lambach

Arcane

2. Consult a lawyer and issue a statement. <- This would have suppressed the opportunity to gather evidence (people get scared when real lawyers are involved, they delete their tweets, etc.)
  3. Consult a lawyer but do not issue a statement. Let your accuser gloat and posture on twitter while documenting everything.

3 is the correct choice.

It was absolutely not the correct choice. Do remember that around the same time Chris' accusers "came forward", pretty much the same thing happened to Seven Pesos Pedro. Except he's the one who handled it correctly. He immediately went in full offense mode, used all of his public platforms to vehemently deny the accusations and defend himself, got lawyered up within a day or two and started threatening/throwing lawsuits at his accusers.

Fast forward a year, Enraged Enrique's reputation is still 99.9% intact*, his career didn't take so much as a scratch and almost no one even mentions that case anymore. Compare that to Chris who chose to beg and grovel (or strategically do nothing as you claim :lol: ), who has been dropped and abandoned by p. much all of his "friends" and is entirely unemployable in the vidya industry because of his reputation as a sex molester.

*he did get banned from RetardEra, but it's, you know, RetardEra (although that may have been because of his "transphobic" review of The Last of Us 2, I can't remember)

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

3 is the correct choice.

It was absolutely not the correct choice. Do remember that around the same time Chris' accusers "came forward", pretty much the same thing happened to Seven Pesos Pedro. Except he's the one who handled it correctly. He immediately went in full offense mode, used all of his public platforms to vehemently deny the accusations and defend himself, got lawyered up within a day or two and started threatening/throwing lawsuits at his accusers.

Fast forward a year, Enraged Enrique's reputation is still 99.9% intact*, his career didn't take so much as a scratch and almost no one even mentions that case anymore. Compare that to Chris who chose to beg and grovel (or strategically do nothing as you claim :lol: ), who has been dropped and abandoned by p. much all of his "friends" and is entirely unemployable in the vidya industry because of his reputation as a sex molester.

*he did get banned from RetardEra, but it's, you know, RetardEra (although that may have been because of his "transphobic" review of The Last of Us 2, I can't remember)

I definitely do agree he should have come out swinging at the start. Sadly he was still a full believer in the "BELIEVE ALL WAHMEN" philosophy at that point (and probably still is to some degree).

So Chris was drunk and misconstrued her demeanor as "enthusiastic consent" so his recollection is that of a consensual thing.

I don't know about her but men are capable of doing really ugly fucking shit without even realizing doing it because it is the culturally enforced thing. I doubt Chris is all that innocent and I don't like how he is resorting to some of the textbook perpetrator defenses. I would love for him to be really faultless here but find it unlikely.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom