Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Unreal Engine 5: final nail of Unity's coffin?

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
- better occlusion culling, camera has far plane unlike Unreal which uses scene bounds

Camera-based culling is frustum culling and both engines use the full camera frustum (including near and far planes) to do culling.

Occlusion culling is an additional step to hide invisible stuff that are still inside the camera and Unity only does precomputed occlusion culling as described here using a PVS structure - this must be explicitly set up and of course only works with static geometry (e.g. a door that hides a ton of geometry wont stop that geometry from being sent to the GPU).

UE can do precomputed occlusion culling too as described here but it can also use hardware-based culling via occlusion queries (which is the default). This makes it possible to use not only static objects as occluders but also dynamic ones (e.g. said door above will actually stop the geometry from being sent to the GPU). In fact since occlusion queries work with the existing depth buffer anything that writes to it can become an occluder. UE also has a few other methods for dynamic occlusion culling depending on the target platform. FWIW UE used hardware occlusion queries ever since the first versions of UE3.

It seems that in this case Unity implements only a single method with the common functionality that can be found in all of its supported platforms (e.g. not all mobile devices support hardware occlusion queries) whereas Unreal implements several methods to take advantage of each target platform. This is most likely a difference in terms of expected use for the engine: Unity most likely expects people to port their games to a ton of different platforms with barely any changes (if at all), whereas Unreal expects people to only target specific platforms and make special versions for any weaker platforms if needed (consider how many UE4 games wont run on mobile platforms at all so there isn't a point in limiting their featureset to stuff supported only by those platforms).

Gerrard

Arcane
- runs on cheaper computers than Unreal (Unreal is a bloated hog of a program, slow as molasses unless you have a top-end rig)
Bro... have you seen the system requirements of Superhot?
Also reminding me how my Radeon 4850 was not good enough to run fucking Pillars of Eternity, a game made up of prerendered backgrounds, at more than 20FPS.

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
System requirements and such really depend on the game and how much effort is spent on optimization. You can easily make a game that runs terrible on Unity. Just look at Might and Magic X. You can also make a game that performs really well in Unreal. Just look at Fortnite.

CanadianCorndog

Learned
- runs on cheaper computers than Unreal (Unreal is a bloated hog of a program, slow as molasses unless you have a top-end rig)
Bro... have you seen the system requirements of Superhot?
Also reminding me how my Radeon 4850 was not good enough to run fucking Pillars of Eternity, a game made up of prerendered backgrounds, at more than 20FPS.
Sorry, I meant the editors. Optimizing a game can be done on either engine assuming you have people who are good at optimizing. Most studios do not have people good at optimizing.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Did Tim Swine announce the name change from Unreal Engine to Fortnite Engine yet?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Not final, but 8% deeper:

Unity lays off 600 more, closing half of offices

CEO John Riccitiello says third round of layoffs in less than a year "all about setting ourselves up for higher growth"

Unity is cutting another 600 employees in its third round of layoffs in less than a year, The Wall Street Journal reported today.
The cuts equal about 8% of the company's headcount, and will leave it with roughly 7,000 employees worldwide.

Additionally, Unity is looking to reduce its physical footprint, cutting down its current 58 offices worldwide to fewer than 30 over the coming years.

"It's all about setting ourselves up for higher growth," Unity CEO John Riccitiello told the outlet, saying the cuts will look to reduce the number of middle management layers in the organization.
Unity is also planning to have employees return to in-office work at least three days a week starting in September.

Unity confirmed layoffs of about 200 people last June, although Riccitiello told us months later that most of the impacted employees had stayed with the company in a new capacity.
That was followed in January by the company laying off nearly 300 more.

In February, Unity posted its first profitable quarter (on a non-GAAP basis) dating back to its founding in 2004.

5daddaa64af90929b254f864

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Why do you need 8k people to make a game engine?
From my experiences so far:
  1. More growth should mean we need to get more devs... somehow. What will we use those extra devs for? No one knows and it's not their problem to find out. Just get more devs.
  2. I don't know about you, but I was taught in primary school that when it comes to problem solving, if you want a baby born in 1 month it won't help to get 9 women. Do you know how many managers I've met that don't understand that concept? Plenty.
The result of this is that you have a lot of devs that are twiddling with their thumbs to build their resume, and they're the first to get fired. I've seen it happen first hand how half an IT department got fired 4 years ago.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Why do you need 8k people to make a game engine?
Unity's target audience are inexperienced indie devs, naturally they want to have a massive customer support staff. And in order to provide assistance to some random dev from Sao Paulo, Tallin or Shanghai, those support teams need to cover every timezone in the world.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
You don't need 8k people to support every region in the world, especially not when your PR side covers half a dozen languages and your tech stack only covers English.

edit: It's probably them shedding the employees of recent aquisitions.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
I am shocked that Unity could have 58 offices. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom