Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Casey Hudson Launches Humanoid Studios

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik

From NichGamer
Following his departure from BioWare last year, Mass Effect trilogy director Casey Hudson launches Humanoid Studios, a new game developer based in Canada – and they’re working on a new unannounced IP.

“I’ve been working with some colleagues on something awesome, and I wish I could tell you all about it!,” Hudson said on Twitter.

He added, “For now though, I can only say this… Today we are announcing a new independent videogame company built to unleash the creative freedom of developers – bringing innovation and artistry to players through an all-new IP.”

Here’s a brief rundown on the new studio:

Founded by Casey Hudson and talented developers from around the world, we combine excellence in the arts with advanced sciences to deliver the future of interactive entertainment.

We believe in hiring great people, empowering them with the best tools and a supportive environment, and providing them the creative freedom to do their best work.
We are building something special, and we invite you to join us.

Lastly, it’s worth mentioning Humanoid Studios are hiring for a number of new positions, including: Sr. Gameplay Programmer, Sr. Gameplay Designer, Director of Operations, Sr. Creative Director
Environment Artist, Sr. Level Designer, and a 3D Artist.
It will be ironic if he'll hire Chris Avellone.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Sounds racist and bigoted. Kind of dissapointing coming froma guy who helped make the ME series which was about trying to get along with other space races. LMAO

Generic-Giant-Spider

Oh, guess that means I can't work.

The discrimination continues.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Whole lot of generic buzzwords in those posts but...

Casey Hudson was around when Bioware was actually good, so maaaaaaaybe it was the faggot corporate culture that ruined him after EA took over. Not really holding my breath though.

Anyway I guess we will see if they ever actually make anything.

0wca

Learned

Casey Hudson was around when Bioware was actually good, so maaaaaaaybe it was the faggot corporate culture that ruined him after EA took over. Not really holding my breath though.

Oh, you bet he's gonna make something...

Grimlorn

Arcane

Casey Hudson and Mac Walters were responsible for the ending of ME3. Casey also did ME3's PR in which he said that your decisions would matter, and you wouldn't get to the end of ME3 and have a A, B, or C choice for the ending, which is exactly what the ending was.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Casey Hudson and Mac Walters were responsible for the ending of ME3. Casey also did ME3's PR in which he said that your decisions would matter, and you wouldn't get to the end of ME3 and have a A, B, or C choice for the ending, which is exactly what the ending was.

Yeah, yeah but my point was that he was there when they made good games. His decline as a game developer coincided with EA taking over. If he wants to get out of the shadow of ME3 (which had entertaining gameplay but a retarded story/plot - I mean just horrible) this is his chance. Not saying it's probable, but it is possible.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Old gamedev farts starting new studios is like the most 2021 thing to do right now.

If they end up making good games, they get my money.

If they make mediocre games, they can be safely ignored.

If they make shit games, we'll make some memes until they're (quite readily) forgotten.

A horse of course

Yeah, yeah but my point was that he was there when they made good games. His decline as a game developer coincided with EA taking over. If he wants to get out of the shadow of ME3 (which had entertaining gameplay but a retarded story/plot - I mean just horrible) this is his chance. Not saying it's probable, but it is possible.

He was a programmer on BG2, did art for NWN and MDK2, and AFAIK didn't have a major role until the hit Xbox action-RPG "Knights of the Old Republic". Not exactly a sterling pedigree.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

He was a programmer on BG2, did art for NWN and MDK2, and AFAIK didn't have a major role until the hit Xbox action-RPG "Knights of the Old Republic". Not exactly a sterling pedigree.

Why are all you faggots making me defend Hudson?! Middle Bioware (KotoR, JE, ME, DA1 (I guess)) is obviously not as good as early bioware (BG1/BG2/NWN (I guess)) but way better than late Bioware (ME2 and later).

They will never make games as good as BG1/2 but KotoR, JE, and ME were not terrible and I would settle for that.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Bioware was decline from the start.

yxd2bi.jpg

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Old gamedev farts starting new studios is like the most 2021 thing to do right now.

If they make shit games, we'll make some memes until they're (quite readily) forgotten.
Outer Worlds - mediocre, nothing stunning
Phoenix Point - mediocre, nothing stunning
Numenera - mediocre, nothing stunning
Wasteland 2 - mediocre, nothing stunning
Pillars of Eternity - mediocre, nothing stunning
So far we have a very bad record of "Founding Fathers" making a return.

A horse of course

"mediocre" is overly generous.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The best thing I can say for Hudson is that he possibly separated from Bioware (for the second time, after they brought him back to put the studio back on track) because he clashed with some EA executive's niece (or whatever) over how much Wokeness should drive production priorities and creative goals on Bioware's projects. I'm sure EA's excessively corporatist, market research driven approach to developing games didn't help either. In short, he couldn't bring the studio back on track because wasn't allowed to make stories that RPG audiences like or game design choices that RPG audiences like.

The old studio mindset vs the new studio mindset, as it were.

That's not to say he has the potential to actually make good games on his own, especially given he isn't approaching the market from any position of strength that I can see.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hudson was the sole reason why certain projects, like NWN 1, actually saw the light of day and didn't end up in the garbage bin. Apparently he's (or at least was) very good at actually get projects up and running, and out of the door.

What he's less good at is actually coming up with actual good creative, fun idea's:
  • The Mass Effect 3 ending? Yeah, that was him (project director) deciding to lock himself and the lead writer in a room, away from all the other writers that co-wrote the rest of Mass Effect, to hash out their vision of an ending.
  • Anthem was his brainchild. He launched it with no vision or anything, just buzzwords that twitter and the game-press ate up. But with no plan on how to integrate them into a game, let alone how the different concepts could ever work together. Left after about a year and a half into the project, causing it to drift rudderless until its release in 2019.
So I'll wait and see until he actually manages to show us something. If he surrounds himself with some good creative people, he can work his magic. Otherwise, if he's in charge of creative control, I won't get my hopes up.

A horse of course

The best thing I can say for Hudson is that he possibly separated from Bioware (for the second time, after they brought him back to put the studio back on track) because he clashed with some EA executive's niece (or whatever) over how much Wokeness should drive production priorities and creative goals on Bioware's projects. I'm sure EA's excessively corporatist, market research driven approach to developing games didn't help either. In short, he couldn't bring the studio back on track because wasn't allowed to make stories that RPG audiences like or game design choices that RPG audiences like.

That's not to say he has the potential to actually make good games on his own, especially given he isn't approaching the market from any position of strength that I can see.

proofs?

Unwanted
Dumbfuck

SIGIL - Kicks ass.

Not that Hemorrhoid Studios will make anything good tho.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

proofs?

None, other than he was given his old job to put Bioware on track (EA's idea obviously being whatever was bad got much, much worse after he left the studio after ME3) and then not much later he was out again in mysterious circumstances, having apparently accomplished nothing and changed nothing.

Add that to other ex-Bioware developers making comments like "Bioware isn't the studio is used to be" and the difference in style and tone to their recent output vs the past (very woke, corporate MMO cash grab, etc) and it seems like a logical guess.

Either EA lost faith in his ability to manage the studio after a few months (seems unlikely given how executives look at things from a distance) or Casey Hudson lost faith in his ability to save the studio after a few months (seems more likely given he was involved in it at a grassroots level and was in a good position to realize it was hopeless if indeed the situation was hopeless).

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
This is going to be a huge dumpster fire, powered by hundreds of rotten, but diverse leafs.

So the guy for responsible for Bioware's last few years is starting his own studio. You'll have to excuse me if I don't gaf.

Mr. Hudson created the Mass Effect franchise, didn't he?

He was the projector director for the trilogy (and for Knights of the Old Republic too).

Traditionally he was always perceived as a background figure, Drew Karpyshyn got most of the creative credit for Kotor and for developing the Mass Effect lore (because he wrote the first game).

Casey Hudson is definitely responsible for rebuilding Mass Effect in 2 and 3 as less of an RPG and more of a cover shooter systems wise, so there's some doubt this thread will ultimately belong in General RPGs. It's quite plausible he has no interest in making any.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom