Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Chris Avellone grows a pair and fights back against being cancelled

agris

Arcane
Patron
Not to dump on the topic, but there's a lot of random conjuncture without much obvious experience or wisdom being offered here.

Any reason why it was filled in Cali?
No one has actually said.
Option 6) They are more qualified at legal proceedings than average videogame forum posters.
Yeah, I don't see what the struggle to grasp this is. Chris lives in California -> He talks to lawyers in California (who are convenient and easily accessible for him) -> Chris goes to court in California.

It's also not at all unreasonable to consider that he may need to file suit a state or county where he can show significant damages, which may mean he has a company incorporated in the court's jurisdiction or used to live there. Further, a jurisdiction that services Hollywood is probably more used to libel suits, vis-a-vis who lives in Hollywood, than say Redwood CA or West Texas. Knowing that your complaint will land in a pool of judges who have some experience with your type of complaint is a double-edged sword, but I tend to agree that the law firm probably knows what it's doing much more than forum jockeys without an accomplishment to their name.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Queen Anita said:
What an utter and complete piece of shit. There is no way he can win this so it’s just for show, a way to cause more harm to his victims, and silence anyone else who might come forward. If anyone affected by this needs support please reach out.

Good thing it was just Sawyer and not Avellone who donated money to her.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I don't get it. If he is so evil, a rapist, a monster, and so obviously guilty... instead of bringing him to twitter trial... why didn't they take him to court? Certainly in Liberal Kalifornia, even a wiff of this would meant him being found guilty even if he is innocent. Clearly the accusations are bullshit, and everyone knows it. That is why they shout it on the internet but not in a court room.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Rusty Eyes

aka Auraculum
His case is very weak, in all honesty, especially when you take into account he actually apologised, and it's on record (the context doesn't really matter) and allowed his employers at the time to insinuate him being a sexual harasser. In other words - Mr. Avellone took the entire length without so much as a peep.
Don't get me wrong, I feel nothing but sympathy for Mr. Avellone's plight, but at this point in time he made too many glaring mistakes towards his accusers. My prediction is the case will go nowhere.

I also read Mr. Avellone's entire post, and he's still going soft towards people who are actively seeking to destroy his life.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
His case is very weak, in all honesty, especially when you take into account he actually apologised, and it's on record (the context doesn't really matter) and allowed his employers at the time to insinuate him being a sexual harasser. In other words - Mr. Avellone took the entire length without so much as a peep.
Don't get me wrong, I feel nothing but sympathy for Mr. Avellone's plight, but at this point in time he made too many glaring mistakes towards his accusers. My prediction is the case will go nowhere.

I also read Mr. Avellone's entire post, and he's still going soft towards people who are actively seeking to destroy his life.
You don't seem to get it. He's not against them. He wants them to come forward with their stories and proof, so that everyone can see. HOWEVER, if there is no proof, and if there is nothing to see, then - because everything is displayed in a court of law - then we should all take responsibility for our actions, and face the consequences.

He doesn't need to make a strong case. They do. In front of the law.

Eli_Havelock

Learned

You don't seem to get it. He's not against them. He wants them to come forward with their stories and proof, so that everyone can see. HOWEVER, if there is no proof, and if there is nothing to see, then - because everything is displayed in a court of law - then we should all take responsibility for our actions, and face the consequences.

This. Something tells me that if the usual harpies are crying now then discovery phase will be glorious.

Self-Ejected

Rusty Eyes

aka Auraculum

This. Something tells me that if the usual harpies are crying now then discovery phase will be glorious.

There won't be a discovery case. It'll be shut down during the SLAPP hearings. The case is too weak. Also, sorinmask, this is a civil court, not a criminal one.

Sentinel

Arcane

The burden of proof is on Avellone, not them. And he'll also have to demonstrate that their allegations were malicious in nature (this is the central part of the suit that will decide if it was libel or not, the others are just extras on top). This is a civil suit, not a criminal investigation. A lot of people here don't seem to understand that. But it's also too early to say his case is very weak, because it might very well be that new proof will be brought forth as (if) the process continues to the next stages - witness testimonials, private message logs - and the lawyers didn't include it in the initial petition because of a matter of strategy.

Eli_Havelock

Learned

The burden of proof is on Avellone, not them. And he'll also have to demonstrate that their allegations were malicious in nature (this is the central part of the suit that will decide if it was libel or not, the others are just extras on top). This is a civil suit, not a criminal investigation. A lot of people here don't seem to understand that. But it's also too early to say his case is very weak, because it might very well be that new proof will be brought forth as (if) the process continues to the next stages - witness testimonials, private message logs - and the lawyers didn't include it in the initial petition because of a matter of strategy.

And there you go eating paint chips again. Some of us bothered to read the source in the OP to see just a bit of that. Or would that amount of research cost your handlers extra?

Edit:
Chris already showed that they were delighted at the destruction their allegations caused. Malice.

The test if it is a lie or the truth is upon the veracity of the original accusers' story, as otherwise without that being proven true they ARE just making hearsay accusations with malice.

Last edited:

Cazzeris

It made me sorta happy to hear this news. Even if this is just some nerd semi-celebrity from another country, he's a superb writer with deep sensibilities and many cheerful moments to give away. I'm glad he has the composture to pursue truth and dignity in his own life, for everyone to see.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
Good thing it was just Sawyer and not Avellone who donated money to her.

I know I'm late to the party, but did Avellone donate money to her? I couldn't find anything about it.

Rogues, are you sure he didn't donate to Ankita back in the day, say 2014 the time of her first grifting kickstarter? I'm pretty sure he chipped in.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Rogues, are you sure he didn't donate to Ankita back in the day, say 2014 the time of her first grifting kickstarter? I'm pretty sure he chipped in.

I was following every dev's kickstarter contributions back then (before they made everyone's private), if he had donated to it, believe me this site would have found out about it.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
There's only 1 problem with Rekieta's solution of not buying drinks for women and that is if he's buying drinks for RPGCodex because the probability of getting laid multiplies exponentially in that scenario.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Rekeita guy says that picking Cali as venue may be a honeypot to let them fail for it but then does not explain why.

What's the deal here?

Mustawd

Rekeita guy says that picking Cali as venue may be a honeypot to let them fail for it but then does not explain why.

What's the deal here?

He does explain. See my post in the previous page.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

What's the deal here?

Because they can challenge whether a California court would have jurisdiction over the case as they don't live in California, and they might succeed which would throw all kinds of spanners into the works. But they might go along with California as the jurisdiction due to them being more likely to succeed with an anti-SLAPP motion due to California having laws making it easier to get something dismissed as a SLAPP. Which is their best chance to avoid major court costs.

Steel Soul

Novice
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Chris already showed that they were delighted at the destruction their allegations caused. Malice.

Malice in this context doesn't mean "like a fucking cunt" but "knew they were lying when they said it". Which should also be easy to prove, but they don't mean the same thing.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
2.) He found the line about “hurt feelings” silly and unnecessary
Then he looked up Californian law and saw it mentioned damages to include shame, mortification and hurt feelings so he let that one slide, I believe.

Self-Ejected

Rusty Eyes

aka Auraculum
To the people who rated my previous post as retarded - could you please point me to a similar case which resulted in the man suing being victorious?

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom