Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

0wca

Learned
Well it has arrow falloff range, so that's already an improvement over Skyrim.

Perkel

Arcane
3 years later.

OBSIADIAN PROUDLY ANNOUNCES !!

AVOVED ! THE NEXT GEN PATCHINKO GAME RPG !

Atchodas

Augur
Since its Obsidian game somehow it will be straight up worse than Skyrim, more like Otter worlds just progressive fantasy :codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like how you can tell they're hiring for Avowed: https://www.obsidian.net/careers/open-positions/design/gYxCrfV7XS-lead-area-designer

Lead Area Designer
Obsidian is looking for a Lead Area/Level Designer with an obsession for creating incredible worlds to join us in developing our next great multi-platform RPG.

The ideal candidate is someone who thrives on managing a team of designers, collaborating with project leadership to solidify the vision of our gameplay areas, managing area creation tools and pipelines, and directly contributing towards the planning and implementation of content to craft fantastical worlds.

Responsibilities
  • Lead and manage a team of designers to create fun, compelling quest and area content
  • Work with Region Directors and coordinate the work of your designers to create a cohesive open-world experience
  • Setting and unifying layout and building standards for area content while also making sure the team follows quest and content/gameplay standards
  • Make independent creative decisions that level-up ideas laid out by the game director and/or other department leads
  • Design and implement quest and area content with minimal director oversight
  • Foster a culture of collaboration between all the developers required to bring our area content to life
Requirements
  • 4+ years of professional game development experience as a designer (quest, content, level, area, etc.) with at least one shipped game
  • Familiarity with the Unreal Engine
  • Familiarity with the Pillars of Eternity games
  • Working knowledge of RPG conventions
  • A solid design sense, good communication and organization skills, and the ability to work with team members in a collaborative, goal-oriented way
Pluses
  • Open-world game development experience
  • Experience working with dedicated dialogue tools for game development
  • Experience or skill in a similar discipline such as narrative design, systems design, environment art, etc.
  • Familiarity with creating quest content with branching dialog
  • Experience working with scripting languages
  • Outsourcing and co-development experience working with external partners to create content
Portfolio Requirements
  • A web portfolio that demonstrates one or more aspects of the position described above
  • Should include videos, screenshots, and/or design documents
Obsidian Entertainment is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.

Please, no phone calls or drop-ins. We only accept electronic applications.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Obsidian Entertainment is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
I hope they will get a influx of dangerhair designers, they are sorely needed at Obsidian.

Dycedarg

Learned
Is it even possible? I really, really tried to like it, but the writing was so overwhelmingly tedious and boring. Constant bombardment of in-universe lingo and neverending tirades. Most painful case of rockstar writer I've seen: no matter how good they are when properly corralled, with no editorial supervision they just shit bland prose ad nauseam.

One of the biggest problems with Pillars is that they tried to present the whole world of Eora in one game, instead of fleshing out the small region where the story takes place. Even Bioware writers know that's a bad idea.

deuxhero

Arcane
When this game hits any store?
Jeff Grub claims it's planned for 23 which seems possible. Though if he and other insiders are to be believed then 2023 will be the year where the AAA SP RPG returns with Fable reboot, Dragon Age 4 and maybe even Dragon's Dogma 2.

Dragon's Dogma 2 for 2023/late 2022 is practically confirmed. Capcom leaks from a pre-lockdown schedule had it for Q2 2022, and all of Capcom's stuff in that leak with an official release date has been delayed two quarters.

Wunderbar

Arcane

My friend who was called for bug testing at Obsidian says that the development of Avowed is rocky, the devs at Obsidian still haven't figured what to do with this game , it's still in it's early stages. Development is going slowly until Josh Sawyer finishes his work on his non violent RPG codenamed 'Canary'. After finishing it , Josh Sawyer will take over as the project lead for Avowed.

Expect this game to release late 2024.

Work on The Outer Worlds 2 hasn't even started yet, it's still in preproduction.

Avowed's not going to be anything like Skyrim , you should all expect something more akin to The Outer Worlds but with a huge single map instead.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Some extreme citation needed on that "my friend said" Reddit crap. QA testing is the last thing a game developer does before final polish by the way, they're not getting people in to QA test a barely playable alpha with no direction.

Quillon

Arcane
situation could be true but that post seems fake, how would *his friend* know to label Sawya's game as "non violent" unless he frequents codex? :P

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
My friend working at obshitian said that this is a prime example of DEAD GAME.

The game will stay dead until Josh Soyer finishes his work on the new Gender fluid rpg BINARY.

Cross

Arcane
My friend who was called for bug testing at Obsidian says that the development of Avowed is rocky, the devs at Obsidian still haven't figured what to do with this game
Sounds like how almost every Obsidian game was developed so even if this isn't a genuine leak, it's probably true.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom