Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

LJ40

Cipher
TX5zDjx.jpg

Thonius

Arcane
How many times did you Larian cultists played BG3 EA?

After I wasted 1h and 13 min fighting goblins, I lost my interest, downloaded some mods to test, uninstalled never touched again. My last time played was oct 19, 2020.

It actually can. The problem of writing AI is not whether it can destroy us, that's easy because the computer can counter anything we do perfectly (an example is the Mortal Kombat AI), it's reeling it in enough for it to present a challenge without it being impossible.

Is not just presenting a challenge. IMO RPG's should be immersive and fun experience and seeing a enemy with 20+ INT mindless walking into a death zone is against both. A ancient dragon should be something that requires coordination of many high level nobles to take him down, and since he has high INT, act intelligently. Same with other legendary creatures. I loved the Vordakai's Tomb on Pathfinder Kingmaker, but the Vordakai's fight it self was terrible. Too easy.

One Lich fight which I liked was on DDO. I don't remember his name or the name quest. Only that was close to house Jorasco. You "climb" a tower with a lich in top and when I was in the top, he dispels your protections and open a "trap" in the floor, sending you to the ground. If I din't had memorized the feather fall spell, the damage from falling would have killed me. Outpower him with magic was not a option too since he can cast magic far greater than a mid level player.

Other thing which I really miss on modern games is deadly traps. DDO also did difficulty right. Enemies level up on higher difficulty, getting access to higher level spells, higher level gear and a lot o traps which aren't present on normal become not only present but deadly on elite/reaper. I probably got killed more by traps on DDO than by mobs.

-----

Honestly, there is a good thing about DOS2 and BG3. After playing a bit of both, my standards for RPG's are now much lower. Before I could't enjoy epic level DDO due bad mechanics(having to level less optimal epic destinies for reincarnation, number bloat, too many boring cooldowns to manage), now I an enjoying a thing which I never enjoyed before. Because DOS2 is so shit on game mechanics that everything else that isn't total trash looks great in comparison.

Thanks Larian for lowering my standards. DOS2 game mechanics is on the shitest tier with arcania, diablo 3, wow and the 666 trillion clones, dragon age inquisition, etc. I can't wait to play BG3 wiht 666 mods to remove all larienism from the game.

Sounds like you got further in it than I. I took one look at the level up screen, saw how dumbed down character details were, and just noped right on out of there. I don't know enough about 5E D&D to know whether that is a decline inherent in the system now or whether it was Larian's doing, but it's really quite something that they got the D&D license and somehow ended up with a simpler system than their already casualized homebrew Divinity systems designed for fun and accessibility first of all.
It's DND5's thing. Character building is gutted out, I get it it's good for pnp, but it looking hollow in crpg.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I wouldn't say it's gutted, they just trimmed the fat. What are we comparing it to? 3.5, where there were millions of different options to choose from, except 99% are utter trash? Sure, everyone looks back fondly on Warshaper and Cancer Mage, but what about True Necromancer, Evangelist, Blighter? When was the last time you've seen a Moonsea Sentinel at your table? What about videogames, you ever recall taking levels in Duelist when you played Neverwinter Nights 2?

Thonius

Arcane
I wouldn't say it's gutted, they just trimmed the fat. What are we comparing it to? 3.5, where there were millions of different options to choose from, except 99% are utter trash? Sure, everyone looks back fondly on Warshaper and Cancer Mage, but what about True Necromancer, Evangelist, Blighter? When was the last time you've seen a Moonsea Sentinel at your table? What about videogames, you ever recall taking levels in Duelist when you played Neverwinter Nights 2?
Yeah, das rite. We need 3 classes - melee hitter, magic-user, and bow user. In fact, let's trim it down to weapons user and magic-user.
It's not gutted, it just comes in the form of feats and multiclassing.
Excuse me but I believe multi-classic is not present in Big Gay 3. This core feature is just "planned". Sooooooo......

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Like I've pointed out a million times, I would change some classes in 5E to subclasses of other classes because I don't think the base class has enough flavor or mechanical difference for it to take up design space. Monk and Barbarian can be Fighter subclasses, Paladin a Cleric one, Ranger a Rogue one, and Sorcerer a Wizard one. Then we can start talking about what options to give in order to facilitate build diversity.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Like I've pointed out a million times, I would change some classes in 5E to subclasses of other classes because I don't think the base class has enough flavor or mechanical difference for it to take up design space. Monk and Barbarian can be Fighter subclasses, Paladin a Cleric one, Ranger a Rogue one, and Sorcerer a Wizard one. Then we can start talking about what options to give in order to facilitate build diversity.
LoL the future of rpgs

EsTVXaN.png

Just make it one class and different types of smashing animation and you will get the best RPG,amirite ?!

Fixed it you fags,now fuck off with that didn't load shit :)

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

99%? That’s your sucking not the game. PF streamlined the having to read a build guide to avoid screwing yourself problem without sacrificing the customization and greater replayability/variety that were the strengths of 3.5. The price there are classes that are better suited for narrow roles/settings so that requires more party planning than build planning. But that just facilitates (in PnP) the greater sociability that 5E was designed to promote.

In a game setting putting together a cohesive team with a wide variety of options for each member is a more pleasing challenge than being restricted to a few idiot-proof classes.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
It’s exactly in context. Claims that 3.5 was 99% fluff lead naturally to a discussion regarding the two principal successors and their relative merits. Get a grip, man.

As to your point I haven’t even brought it up myself in over two weeks if not more. Why the all caps need to imagine otherwise? Sweating the merits of 5E? Haven’t played it enough myself to judge.

But I will.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I see that Ontopoly changed back to his original gay avatar.

What's wrong with my avatar. I think your avatar is stupid.

I don't know enough about 5E D&D to know whether that is a decline inherent in the system now or whether it was Larian's doing
It's both. Larian ineptitude and mike mearls ineptitude combined into one product for ultimate ineptitude.

agris

Arcane
Patron
It’s exactly in context. Claims that 3.5 was 99% fluff lead naturally to a discussion regarding the two principal successors and their relative merits. Get a grip, man.

As to your point I haven’t even brought it up myself in over two weeks if not more. Why the all caps need to imagine otherwise? Sweating the merits of 5E? Haven’t played it enough myself to judge.

But I will.
While 3.5 may not be 99% fluff, it is 100% the my little ponies of systems when compared to 1st/2nd edition. It was popamole decline in 2004 or whenever it was rolled out, and it still is today.

Salvo

Arcane
Both 3.5 and Pathfinder were EXTREMELY bloated by dozens of different splatbooks. At the same time 5E is overtrimmed and doesn't allow you to customize as much as you would want to.

Balance is the key.

PS: Having to choose between a feat OR ASI is one of the worst features I've ever seen in a game. Although that's WOTC's fault and not Larian's.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
3.5, where there were millions of different options to choose from, except 99% are utter trash?

The point of RPG's is not to be a game like "chess". Is to give a fantasy and the game mechanics needs to be consistent with game lore. This excessive focus on balance is one of the reasons which modern RPG's sucks. Low INT chars on fallout aren't optimal but are funny to play. Melee dwarf on a high tech high magical world like arcanum is far harder to play than a gunner or a mage. Nosferatus aren't optimal on VtMB, deformity in a highly social game is a huge hydrance and a lot of people found then memorable to play. RPG's game mechanics should reinforce the fantasy of the world, not be in the way of it.

I love Gothic 1/2, love playing as a caster and both games are far harder if you chose to be a caster. Same with mods for this games. Took 14 hours for me to become a necromancer under Xardas apprenticeship on Returning and I could't learn the first magical circle, arrow of darknes and summon skeleton at first. Only learning arrow of darkness + purchasing the reagents(black pearl, spell scroll and a runestone) almost broke me. However, was a extremely fun experience. If something is unbalanced, but fun and immersive, it should be in the game.

Look to MMO genre. Due obsession with balance, we no longer have amazing 90s mmos like Ultima Online, Dark Sun Online : Crimson Sands, etc; All of then are boring cooldown managing gear farming repetitive work.

Thonius

Arcane
Both 3.5 and Pathfinder were EXTREMELY bloated by dozens of different splatbooks. At the same time 5E is overtrimmed and doesn't allow you to customize as much as you would want to.

Balance is the key.

PS: Having to choose between a feat OR ASI is one of the worst features I've ever seen in a game. Although that's WOTC's fault and not Larian's.
Don't care about PnP mister bow user or melee user. We are talking about CRPG where it kind of does not matter. PC does all the job.

Zeriel

Arcane
I took one look at the level up screen, saw how dumbed down character details were, and just noped right on out of there.
Reminder that most classes in the BG games had literally nothing to do in the level up screen.

Yeah but it had a big beefy manual describing what you get. Am I really supposed to project modern Larian has some complicated class system hidden behind the appearance of being baby's legos?

Mortmal

Arcane
Dont know any other line of work where you can show proudly on youtube you are slacking and get your customers to applaud you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom