Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Nexus Now Disallowing Creators To Delete Their Mods (Aug 5 Cutoff Date Passed)

DeepOcean

Arcane
I dont see a point to lists, Skyrim and Fallout 4 are only fun when I'm on the mod manager screen and when I finish a mod list I generally uninstall them before playing.

A horse of course

The real issue is that these lists are pure fucking decline. Instead of modding requiring an IQ above room temperature and 3rd grade reading comprehension, now it's "push a button and watch the computer install everything for you". Good luck troubleshooting, creating compatibility patches, or updating individual mods when you never even had to learn the basics. And god help the mod makers who have to deal with entitled faggots complaining if the list tool fucks something up.

Wouldn't you rather Automate this process then do it manually?
Do you enjoy opening up 40 mod pages and scanning over everything trying to get shit working?

Even a power user who knows exactly what they are doing and read the manual.. I'd rather hit a button and go make a coffee or shit post on the codex.

It's pure fucking tedium.
I'm just gatekeeping. There are already too many entitled retards who don't appreciate the time and effort required to make quality mods. That number is going to skyrocket when there isn't even any knowledge required to install them.

I haven't tried installing SexLab for a couple of years, are LoversLab mods still a nightmare to get working? Hardcore gatekeeping autists can always fall back on that.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
I haven't tried installing SexLab for a couple of years, are LoversLab mods still a nightmare to get working? Hardcore gatekeeping autists can always fall back on that.

They are, but if you're willing to take a walk in the shady parts of town you can normally find a decent functioning repack done by some Russian pervos.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
As someone that's seen far too many modders lose their shit and take everything down because someone told him/her that they don't like them on bumfuckistan.org, good. It's better for users, but worse for creators.

Some sort of dialogue should be possible for legit removals, though. (e.g. deprecated shit that's abandoned and is now integrated in a healthy, living project)

Last edited:

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
This is the most anti-consumer thing a modding site can do. Sites like facebook and google get tons of flak for making deleting your content difficult and allowing NM to get away with this is retarded, no matter how satisfying it is to see whatstheirgender get fucked over. Being able to take something down is a fundamental element of privacy and making a system where the site is a mousetrap for whatever you upload is both violative of that and is sliding it towards worse stuff in the future. They're probably seething about Bthesda being able to sell mods and I don't think they're going to stop ''innovating'' until they reach that level.

NM is little more than a slower loading reddit for mods and shouldn't be messing around with file rights. They have no right to decide distribution policies for mods they didn't create because they're nothing more than hosting for them. However you spin it, this just cucks over whoever uploads anything and is bad for modding and the industry in the long term.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
"once you put your shit on our site, it's ours" seems like a bad deal and is anti-consumer
Throwing tantrums and deleting mods is anti-consumer.
Intellectual property itself is anti-humanist, because it's a form of capital.

Well the mod makers are users too.
Mod makers are users when they're downloading mods. When they're publishing mods, they're not users, but publishers.

You have everything mixed up in your head and can't tell left from right.

Don't respond.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I always find it hilarious when modders get so bent out of shape about copyright and IPs and people modifying their mods. They are using someone else's game as a base ffs.

I always get the feeling that if a modder ever made their own game they'd make it as locked down and anti-modding as possible.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is absolutely a GOOD THING because it prevents drama queens from deleting their mods out of butthurt. It's a really positive thing for preservationism. I have often encountered the situation of wanting to download a mod, but it was no longer available anywhere and the community was desperately looking for people who still had it and could reupload it. Happened in the Total War community where most mods used to be hosted on third party sites like megaupload, and then one day suddenly the original download link breaks because the hosting site went defunct. The original modders long left the scene and can't be contacted anymore, now the only hope is that someone backed it up and can reupload it.

A central database for mods like the Nexus is a great thing for ensuring availability. Giving modders the right to delete their mods is counter-productive. Once you have released something to the world, it's there to stay.

As a published author you can't suddenly throw a hissyfit and say "I want all printed copies of my book to be confiscated and burned because someone made me butthurt!!!!!!"

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
As a published author you can't suddenly throw a hissyfit and say "I want all printed copies of my book to be confiscated and burned because someone made me butthurt!!!!!!"
Retarded analogy because published authors are under a contract and can't have that right in the first place. Modders can and should have that right though because its their files and their work and a glorified file sharing site doesn't have the right to use them in its trickle down economics scheme.

And to anyone who says they're modifying the game they don't own in the first place: then why don't the game publishers / devs just take modder's work as their own then? Because its not their work in its entirety and just because you made a mod for their game doesn't mean its not partly your work.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
How can anyone entertain the idea that a stable, reliable data repository is a bad thing for users?

And it's not entrapment for a developer; you have a grace period to remove your shit for every thing you upload.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
How can anyone entertain the idea that a stable, reliable data repository is a bad thing for users?

And it's not entrapment for a developer; you have a grace period to remove your shit for every thing you upload.
The files are not theirs's. If its not theirs's, they shouldn't be deciding whether it stays up or not. Just like with photos you upload to social media or tweets you make. The grace period is a diversion to the fact that they're depriving the creator of file distribution rights.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Retarded analogy because published authors are under a contract and can't have that right in the first place. Modders can and should have that right though because its their files and their work and a glorified file sharing site doesn't have the right to use them in its trickle down economics scheme.

Nigger they published a creative work of theirs.

Once it's out, it's out.

If you don't want it to be out, don't release it in the first place.

Modders deleting their files is like taking away others' toys out of spite just because you no longer want to play with them.

If you don't want your creative product to be out there for others to play, why did you release it in the first place?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Retarded analogy because published authors are under a contract and can't have that right in the first place.
I would fully support this move by the Nexus - despite the Nexus being shit for a laundry list of reasons - regardless of legality (I think "muh contracts" is completely irrelevant in this), but let's just be clear that you're absolutely under a form of contract at the Nexus, too. You agreed to it when you joined the site and you're reminded of it when you upload. And that contract now includes not being able to simply remove your files when you get butthurt and want to take your toys away from others and go home to mommy and cry.

So what I'm saying here is that your point is shit.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist

Nigger they published a creative work of theirs.

Once it's out, it's out.

If you don't want it to be out, don't release it in the first place.

Modders deleting their files is like taking away others' toys out of spite just because you no longer want to play with them.

If you don't want your creative product to be out there for others to play, why did you release it in the first place?
All mods are released with permissions about what others can do with the files, including re-modification and re-upload. Because for whatever reason you want it taken down or not distributed, it should be your right to do so regardless of its reasonability. Its how rights work and how they should work. Would you apply the same logic to images you shared on instagarm or facebook? Or tweets? Would you be willing to give the sites distribution rights over them as well?

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Retarded analogy because published authors are under a contract and can't have that right in the first place.
I would fully support this move by the Nexus - despite the Nexus being shit for a laundry list of reasons - regardless of legality (I think "muh contracts" is completely irrelevant in this), but let's just be clear that you're absolutely under a form of contract at the Nexus, too. You agreed to it when you joined the site and you're reminded of it when you upload. And that contract now includes not being able to simply remove your files when you get butthurt and want to take your toys away from others and go home to mommy and cry.

So what I'm saying here is that your point is shit.
A contract in violation of law is not valid, even if you agreed to whatever magical collectivist justifications they put in their T&S. And in the case of signing over distribution rights, I'd wager it is in violation of the IP laws of whichever country's laws NM is bound by.

But that is besides the point that file autonomy is fundamental and supporting any erosion of it is retarded.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
The files are not theirs's. If its not theirs's, they shouldn't be deciding whether it stays up or not. Just like with photos you upload to social media or tweets you make. The grace period is a diversion to the fact that they're depriving the creator of file distribution rights.

You need to keep in mind that content creators are A-OK with using the nexus platform to do all the heavy weight lifting (and financing) of file hosting, promotion and user support. The Nexus generates revenue from this by providing their users access to these mods. Considering that both sides are benefitting from working together, I don't think it's fair that only one side is allowed to make up the rules.

Steam does the same thing, albeit a tiny bit different. If someone has bought a game, they can never be revoked access to this item. Meanwhile, the game can still be removed or locked off from further purchases.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
All mods are released with permissions about what others can do with the files, including re-modification and re-upload.
Hopefully we'll do away with this bullshit too, eventually.
People who believe in IP rights will just use normal file sharing sites, of which NM is nothing more than a glorified version of. No one will be retarded enough to sign over their work to the collectivist file gulag.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Would you apply the same logic to images you shared on instagarm or facebook? Or tweets?
We already do. You expressly sign away your rights when you upload to those sites, in a variety of ways. That might be shit for a host of different reasons, but that is completely beside the point; the point being that your examples are nonsense and your point is shit. Even if it wouldn't be that way and your examples weren't retarded, a family photo is materially different from something uploaded whose purpose is only to be used by others non-commercially in any variety of ways, which are inherently bound to a chain of copyrights and trademarks already to boot.

And ignoring the legal perspective either way, from both a moral and a utilitarian perspective, this is nothing but good. It benefits the end-users, ensures the common ground on which mods are made and re-made, shits on baby retards, and maintains a common recorded history which remains accessible longer than it might otherwise have been.
A contract in violation of law is not valid, even if you agreed to whatever magical collectivist justifications they put in their T&S. And in the case of signing over distribution rights, I'd wager it is in violation of the IP laws of whichever country's laws NM is bound by.
A contract in violation of law is not valid, but thankfully, you are fully within your rights to sign away copyright and distribution rights for publishing just fine. You're being extra-retarded if you're going to claim otherwise.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Good change. Protect users from deranged modders.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist

You need to keep in mind that content creators are A-OK with using the nexus platform to do all the heavy weight lifting (and financing) of file hosting, promotion and user support. The Nexus generates revenue from this by providing their users access to these mods. Considering that both sides are benefitting from working together, I don't think it's fair that only one side is allowed to make up the rules.

Steam does the same thing, albeit a tiny bit different. If someone has bought a game, they can never be revoked access to this item. Meanwhile, the game can still be removed or locked off from further purchases.
Except hosting a file can be done by tons of other sites, and judging from NM's sluggishness, they could do it without looking like they're going to have a heart-attack loading a page. And I don't think anyone's coming to the site because of any quality the site possesses but rather to get the mods that are hosted there. No mods, they won't visit the site. Curation and promotion is secondary and mods often become popular and attract users to the site rather than a mod becoming popular because of the site.

You pay for games on steam. You don't pay for mods on NM. The legal rights and liabilities are vastly different.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
People who believe in IP rights will just use normal file sharing sites, of which NM is nothing more than a glorified version of. No one will be retarded enough to sign over their work to the collectivist file gulag.

You're wrong if you think any modder can just gain the same reach and publicity for their mods, while also hosting files without a fee on their own site. The Nexus is far more than a simple hosting site.

I've seen plenty of them try though, some even including blackjack and hookers. Most ended up dead after a year or two at most, with the files then ending up on some big filesharing network.

Except hosting a file can be done by tons of other sites, and judging from NM's sluggishness, they could do it without looking like they're going to have a heart-attack loading a page. And I don't think anyone's coming to the site because of any quality the site possesses but rather to get the mods that are hosted there. No mods, they won't visit the site. Curation and promotion is secondary and mods often become popular and attract users to the site rather than a mod becoming popular because of the site.

Then let them move to other sites. The Nexus didn't become the juggernaut it is today despite that other file sharing sites were better or something. I guarantee you that a vast majority of content creators that leave the Nexus because of this, will come back after a while.

You pay for games on steam. You don't pay for mods on NM. The legal rights and liabilities are vastly different.

Yes, it's not a 1 on 1 analogy. But Nexus's business model relies on providing a service to their customers, just like Steam (albeit legally enforced or not).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom