Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dead Space remake from Motive Studios

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The benefit of third person is that they were able to make Isaac feel clunky and undextrous
When I first played that game, I think I hadn't ever played another "over the shoulder" camera game. It felt very awkward, and you definitely felt like driving a tank and not a man at first.
I doubt this is still the case today, many games with a third person camera that is skewed to one side since then.

Tehdagah

Arcane
For its Dead Space game, Motive is taking notes from Capcom’s recent Resident Evil remakes. Like Resident Evil 2 Remake, expect the next Dead Space to use the original game as a strong foundation.
They aren't even alike.

lightbane

Arcane
Too cowardly to make a sequel, so they just hop on the remake, I mean "revival", bandwagon too.
Considering how the expansion of the 3rd game ended, the only options forward were to either ignore that, or reboot.

r, but why does she also start cackling evilly and trying to leave you to die on tentacle-world? Why the sudden jarring shift into full homicidal chaotic evil? Did the game just need a villain at the last minute? Load of bullshit.

IIRC, pretty much EVERY member of the not-Scientologist cult was insanely, cartoonish evil, so her reaction was not too different compared to the scientist guy that infected everyone with alien mutant zombies, created a regenerating variant for kicks, and then decided to make himself a mutant zombie as well.

JDR13

Arcane
Good. Dead Space 3 was hot garbage as far as the plot. I'm glad they're not continuing from there.

Plot was garbage in all DS games. It's the inferior gameplay that was the problem in third. Worse encounter design and that universal ammo shit.

I'm not saying the plot was great in DS 1 & 2, but it took a huge dive in DS3. At least the first two games had an air of mystery with the Markers and not knowing their origin. The living moons bullshit they introduced in DS3 was just beyond retarded.

I'm not saying the plot was great in DS 1 & 2, but it took a huge dive in DS3. At least the first two games had an air of mystery with the Markers and not knowing their origin. The living moons bullshit they introduced in DS3 was just beyond retarded.

Yeah but who gives a fuck, only a complete idiot would play any DS game for the plot anyway. DS3 would've been a fine game even with its retarded plot if it wasn't ruined by bad game design.

JDR13

Arcane

Yeah but who gives a fuck, only a complete idiot would play any DS game for the plot anyway. DS3 would've been a fine game even with its retarded plot if it wasn't ruined by bad game design.

Idk... people who notice things like that maybe? No one is saying that DS3 would have been good with a good plot. I'm simply pointing something out.

Yldr

Educated
At least the first two games had an air of mystery with the Markers and not knowing their origin. The living moons bullshit they introduced in DS3 was just beyond retarded.
Hard disagree, there's something powerful and Lovecraftian about living planets and that's also the reason I think the series should have stayed dead: humanity lost because of fucking course. There's nothing you can do against sentient meat-harvesting planets. There's no more story to tell. The end.

And may I remind you, unlike the other foe often called "Lovecraftian" (at least at first), i.e. the Reapers from Mass Effect, in Dead Space they never even bothered to really explain or elaborate on their cosmic unstoppable enemy: humanity gets attacked out of the blue by completely crazy overwhelming force, and they get shitstomped without even having the slightest clue as to what just happened.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Heh, at first I thought this thread was about that "spiritual successor" thingy that some dude from Visceral allegedly works on (it had that trailer with some nigger getting killed in a prison cell, though I didn’t hear anything about it for ages now).

Honestly don’t see much point in "reimagining" the original DS - other than a low effort cash grab of course.

fork

Imagine looking foreward to this, lol!

Dead Space was the the game Resident Evil 4 wanted to be. This will be the successor to the game Resident Evil 4 wanted to be in the year 2022 or so. In other words: It'll be worse than you could even imagine.

JDR13

Arcane
At least the first two games had an air of mystery with the Markers and not knowing their origin. The living moons bullshit they introduced in DS3 was just beyond retarded.
Hard disagree, there's something powerful and Lovecraftian about living planets and that's also the reason I think the series should have stayed dead: humanity lost because of fucking course. There's nothing you can do against sentient meat-harvesting planets. There's no more story to tell. The end.

And may I remind you, unlike the other foe often called "Lovecraftian" (at least at first), i.e. the Reapers from Mass Effect, in Dead Space they never even bothered to really explain or elaborate on their cosmic unstoppable enemy: humanity gets attacked out of the blue by completely crazy overwhelming force, and they get shitstomped without even having the slightest clue as to what just happened.

:nocountryforshitposters:

For its Dead Space game, Motive is taking notes from Capcom’s recent Resident Evil remakes. Like Resident Evil 2 Remake, expect the next Dead Space to use the original game as a strong foundation.
They aren't even alike.

RE2R would not be a bad game to take inspiration from though, its good parts at least. Slower paced Dead Space that gives you less resources and has you exploring a spooky space station doesn't sound bad, provided level design is competent.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut

"everything sucks and everyone is killed by giant moons" is just the grimderp opposite, that doesn't mean it's good

Razor

Arcane

Would have been even better if the fucking planets did not talk to you in plain english. A collective of telepathic entities this magnitude and size would never acknowledge your presence. I always imagined lovecraftion entities only passively communicating with lesser beings in pure surreal imagery and even then by pure accident. A 2016 horror movie "The Void" utilized this concept successfully with the protagonist receiving vision of what seemed like a exotic nebula, a dark clouded sky over a dead terrain, a obsidian black pyramid floating in the distance and a giant sphere of flesh pulsating. All originated from the deities perspective in a random order but never fully revealed of what or where they exactly are.

Also Dead Space wise specific information like earfs location should have already been known to them with the marker beacons all over the fucking place. They were after all revealed to be conduits that were channeling their infinite energy from the brother moons.

Ah who cares. I only point out that with how the lore was revealed I am pretty sure that the fourth entry, if it ever happened, would have seen Isaac and friends wielding the planet cracking tech to attack the necromoons.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Another remake of a series that has a strong fan following? Someone wants some money.
I think it's funny that a series about undead monsters is getting necro'd.

>Motive
>Known for Star Wars cash grabs

Yeah, probably is going to be shit. I can see it being pretty and maybe mechanically competent, but lacking in atmosphere and tension. Then again, so was the first Dead Space game so I guess it won't matter.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The sci-fi survival horror classic Dead Space returns, completely rebuilt from the ground up by Motive Studios to offer a deeper and more immersive experience. Harnessing the power of the Frostbite game engine and next generation consoles, this remake brings jaw-dropping visual fidelity and improvements to gameplay while staying true to the original. Dead Space will be available on PlayStation®5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC.

Isaac Clarke is an everyman engineer on a mission to repair a vast, sprawling starship, the USG Ishimura, only to discover something has gone horribly wrong. The ship's crew has been slaughtered and infected by some alien scourge...and Isaac’s beloved partner, Nicole, is lost somewhere on board.

Now Isaac is alone with only his tools and engineering skills as he attempts to uncover the nightmarish mystery of what happened aboard the Ishimura. Trapped with hostile creatures called “necromorphs”, Isaac faces a battle for survival, not only against the escalating terrors of the ship, but his own crumbling sanity.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Dead Space runs (weirdly on PC) still, still looks great, and the gameplay is indistinguishable from modern-day TPS/horror games. Literally the only thing they could modernize outside of graphics is to make Isaac a black furry lesbian instead of a generic silent White dude or introduce $60 of post-release DLC. I honestly like Dead Space - it’s probably in my top 5 for that generation - and I can’t muster any interest in this.

ADL

Prophet
I feel like the only reason this is getting remade is because consoles don't have backwards compatibility with the original and even if they do, they don't have graphics options so they're stuck playing a subpar version of a game that is still fantastic on a third of the platforms it released on. The PC version looks, runs and plays great.

Shit like this and having to beg Microsoft to "enhance" an Xbox 360 game to do something as simple as changing the resolution and unlock the frame rate makes me feel like I'm from another planet.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Okay, everyone, place your bets on how EA is gonna fuck this one up.

Will Isaac be gay? Will his girlfriend be a "she"? Will Isaac be killed in the first 30 minutes and replaced by a strong black woman of color? Will the necromorphs be misunderstood and tragic creatures? How will they blame the white man for what happens? I'm so excited!

And let me remind you that Motive Studios are Canadian and behind Star Wars: Squadrons.

copebot

Learned
I actually don't think they'll do any of that. Remakes are a quiet corporate excuse to produce content in the style that people like. They'll cram as much woke stuff as they can into other properties (which can be written off as losses) and make substantial profits on a proven property that doesn't require much if any new design work. They can't outright say that people prefer older styles so they're releasing a new title in the old style; they have to dress it up in falsely exaggerated nostalgia. Companies like EA can spin that wheel for a very long time.

You actually see this kind of behavior a lot in the contemporary creative space. They'll make some very loud proclamation of how woke they are and then spend oodles of time talking up how much they love old (non-woke) material that they mine for ideas. They often authentically believe in wokeness (it's not just performative) but at the same time hold contradictory beliefs, like homosexuals who are also Roman Catholic priests or communists with big stock portfolios.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom