Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

sigard

Not Excidium

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Npcs in oblivion have to eat. You can replace their food with poisoned food to kill them.
I suppose you could also steal all their food forcing them to commit crimes when they get hungry enough and a guard will kill them.

Codex Year of the Donut

bionicman

Liturgist
Thanks, but there is 0% chance that i will play this turd, ever.

197.png

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I approve your quest of escaping random chances brought to you via combat. Here are some:

oblivion: you can leave poisoned food at the table and npc will pick it up to eat

skyrim: there are those forsworn briars with their heart out in the open. You can pickpocket it causing instant death. There were also traps inside dungeon that you could use against enemies.
seven: like above, there are robotic enemies that you can steal core from

ill use this opportunity to shame sven, I recall that we were supposed to be able to replace health potions with poisoned ones in enemy inventories in dos2 but it never came to be

wildfire: assuming you count this as rpg and method as indirect: you can use levers to drop heavy doors on enemies or remove bridges under their feet. Can also put bridge on fire on both ends...

fallout 3+: allowed placing mines and grenades in enemy pockets I think

feels like heroine quest likely had some but I cant recall anything. Im sure there was achievement for completing the game without killing single enemy in combat

streets of rogue: plenty! You can use city sewage system and poison water. Or poison vents to spread some gas. You can even spray berserk gas to have people kill each other. Or you can play a zombie and have whole city die in riot. Or knock on door of some gang member while rival gang is walking nearby. Many, many ways! If you havent played it already you are going to love it!

agris

Arcane
Patron
And by that i mean kills like :
using pickpocket skill to insert dynamite into victim inventory -> f.e fallout 2
using pickpocket skilll to insert cursed item that drain hp and will kill victim f.e arcanum
I especially looking for more modern crpg. Let's say AA and AAA games from 2010+
I want to kill f.e npc in town without making said town hostile to me.
Help.
wait are you really excidium?

CoronerZg

Augur
Atom RPG - you can offer comrade a cigarette... then another one, then another one, and 100 cigarettes later - free equipment. Atom actually has a lot of ways to get someone dead and it's a good game.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Wizardry 8, get them killed by roaming monsters, works for NPC patrols but also for most Arnika NPC like Anton, well, there's not much benefit in getting a named NPC killed but you could do it.

In KotC, there's a lot of NPC you could kill or get killed when cities get invaded.

In M&M 7 and 8, you can use canons or let pirates canons do the job to kill civilians or patrols.

There's an assassination quest in ToEE but i never got through, i almost did it once but i really dislike the two morons giving the early evil quests in Hommlet.
I did the Temple assassination quests though, all these high priests trying to murder or frame each other is heartwarming.

Alphons

Cipher
Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim- NPCs always equip items with higher DR than their currently equipped items.
Majority of NPCs don't wear any head gear so you can mass produce cheap helmets or hoods with Drain Health enchantment, put it in their equipment and wait for them to die.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Dungeon Master - drop a portcullis on them or just fall right on their heads through a pit and crush them to death.
...By the same token, most Dungeon Master-clones also feature the ability to slam a door on monsters. IIRC, Eye of the Beholder even expects you to do it, and doles out experience accordingly.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Obviously Deadfire.

In Wrath

you can let a certain Angel of doubtful veracity get herself killed fighting on your behalf leaving behind generic gear with enhancement bonuses about four levels ahead of schedule.

agris

Arcane
Patron
using pickpocket skill to insert dynamite into victim inventory -> f.e fallout 2
using pickpocket skilll to insert cursed item that drain hp and will kill victim f.e arcanum
I especially looking for more modern crpg. Let's say AA and AAA games from 2010+
Help.
wait are you really excidium?

yes
Prove it and I’ll give you a game not listed that has interesting ways to kill enemies without combat.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Plenty of ways for indirect kills in Cataclysm: DDA.
Fires, mines, traps, barbed wire, etc.

Do you count setting AI vs AI -situations as indirect kills?

nobre

Cipher
Jagged Alliance 2 allows you to use mines and explosives to kill indirectly. For example use explosives to kill the rebels in Omerta or the gangsters in San Mona for some great loot, without making them hostile.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Help.
The Hitman series

Developer
Help.

I think my game has some of that. Would take less than 30 minutes to add if it doesn't.

Do you have anything else in this category that you would like?

Dorateen

Arcane
Some examples that come to mind from DOS era computer role-playing games:

In Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager, you can poison the dinner of mind flayers and kill them.
In World of Xeen, you use the soul box to sneak Corak close enough to battle and kill Sheltem.
In Gateway to the Savage Frontier, you activate the four statuettes and then the undead of Ascore drag General Vaalgamon to his death.

Mark Richard

Arcane
In Dead State you can solve a lot of problems by using noise to your advantage. Zombies in the area are attracted to noise, and at a certain decibel level more will spawn on the edges of the map. So there's a hostile gang holed up in some building, right? Just toss a noisemaker grenade in there and watch the fun. The AI pays the noise system no mind, happily blasting away with everything they've got. They'll win the fight against the first wave of zombies, but the noise they make will keep them in a perpetual war with zombie reinforcements, and as each casualty becomes another zombie, the tide begins to turn.

However... you don't want this to turn into a tsunami. Having an army of undead occupying the building can be almost as bad as the gang, so the key is to whittle one side down when they become too powerful. I must confess to a morbid fascination with watching all this go down and intervening when necessary to keep the sides more or less even, almost as if I were a Druidic god maintaining nature's delicate balance. Using this strategy you can walk in at the end relatively unmolested.

mondblut

Arcane
In Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager, you can poison the dinner of mind flayers and kill them.
In World of Xeen, you use the soul box to sneak Corak close enough to battle and kill Sheltem.
In Gateway to the Savage Frontier, you activate the four statuettes and then the undead of Ascore drag General Vaalgamon to his death.

These are quests, duh. Nothing happens from the mechanical standpoint. Sheltem and Vaalgamon exist only as illustrations ffs.

In Ultima VII, an Easter egg allows British to be killed. If the player double-clicks the gold plaque above the castle gate when British is standing directly underneath (which he invariably does at exactly noon each day), the plaque will fall on his head. The player can arrange several chairs or crates around him in such a way as to trap him underneath the plaque.

Now this is good shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom