Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civvie thread (classic FPS reviews/commentary on youtube)

Silentstorm

Learned
Never played the pack, but looking at his video, it doesn't seem great, i bet he is making it seem worse than it is, but it also seems to be sadistic in design and way too many levels starting with instant death attacks or you being shot at immediately.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

I'm surprised how he glossed over Waco incident (?) in the map under that name, though him being kwan he could put more light on this case for rest of the world... but nope.

Played RR collection from GOG and it sucked but got better moments in expansion packs and... sequel? If that was really a sequel then it would be double-layered irony because (a) barely any changes and (b) it was still best sequel in comparison to other Grand Four Build FPS.
I don't know which shotgun was worse - RR or Doom3.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I honestly do not get the memes about Doom 3's shotgun, 99% of the game is close combat anyway with the enemies having long telegraphing animations for their attack and the shotgun does massive damage up close - e.g. you can kill a hellknight by emptying your machinegun ammo *or* with a few shotgun shots from up close.

IMO people who complain about Doom 3's shotgun do not know how to play the game. Probably the same people who complain about Doom 3's "lack of ammo" that drove id to make pick up items give you double the ammo on Doom 3 BFG.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I honestly do not get the memes about Doom 3's shotgun, 99% of the game is close combat anyway with the enemies having long telegraphing animations for their attack and the shotgun does massive damage up close - e.g. you can kill a hellknight by emptying your machinegun ammo *or* with a few shotgun shots from up close.

It's an extremely functional weapon in Doom3's mediocre gunplay, but it's not particularly satisfactory to use (it sounds like a wet fart, Doom3's combat feels "floaty" and the insane damage fall-off doesn't help). It's not that it's not a good weapon in its game, it's not fun to watch it in action. I guess most people think of it as crappy for that reason.

(Doesn't help that I consider all Doom3's gunplay as mediocre-to-crappy, but credit given where credit is due, it works in a corridor-cramped enviroment shooter).

IMO people who complain about Doom 3's shotgun do not know how to play the game. Probably the same people who complain about Doom 3's "lack of ammo" that drove id to make pick up items give you double the ammo on Doom 3 BFG.

BFG indeed torpedoed whatever limited encounter design there was in Doom3. I tried to replay it somewhat recently and you get showered in all kinds of supplies, you pretty much can main the Plasmagun after a while.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
IMO the main issue with Doom 3's weapon feel is the sounds... i do not know why id didn't shower Trent Reznor with whatever money or time or whatever he wanted, but his sound pack even if unfinished is vastly superior to the sounds that came with the game.

Spukrian

Savant
Conspiracy Theory: We're being told that Civvie plays the games and his sister, Katie, edits the videos.... but what if it's the other way around? Katie plays the games and Civvie edits the videos?

otsego

Cipher
What an absolute Heretic (da bum tissss). Hexen and its expansion are the best Doom-engine games (post Doom 2).

Lol at using a broken Russian port and showing the bugs with it as if it was a part of the original games, and then using Doom Builder to remove bugged items (and later enemies he didn't want to kill again).

Silentstorm

Learned

The reaction to Hexen (and Hexen 2) style of level design is how we got the overscripted linear corridors of COD :-P

To be fair, i am not a big fan of the level design and i think i have a post or two from months or years ago saying that, it's not a bad game, but the puzzles and switches aspects that aren't close to each other really dragged the game down to me and some more variety would have been good.

That being said, COD went too far, just have big massive levels but have ways of leaving some signs on where you were or different places with stuff you can easily remember and thus go through, or i just don't like Hexen's style of making a world particularly at the start.

Still, it does have it's fans, i just prefer something like Heretic or Doom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom