Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Sykar

Arcane
I only bought the PSI beetle one. Hope that one will have an impact on a cave wizard/shroomgician.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Styg need's to implement more ways to learn Psionics other than just the few abilities you can learn from the people at SGS with the rest being picked up as you play the game. There should be unique quests that need to be done to get certain abilities, perhaps some C&C where helping someone gets you X ability while helping someone else gets you Y ability, and you have to pick one or the other. There should be some unique dungeons that you have to do to get a certain Psionic mentor, and other such things. One of my favorite parts of Underrail is interacting with NPC's in the game and building a pseudo-connection with them. Any time there is a teacher-student relationship, that's like a cheap easy way to build a connection, so I feel like Styg should really lean into that. Plus, all of the Psionic characters in the game are so cool, so why shouldn't there be more of them?

Trashos

Arcane
Bullet Time rounding update:

As far as I can see in my game, AP cost after the Bullet Time reduction is rounded to the lowest integer if the result is X.1-X.4, and it is rounded to the highest integer if the result is X.5-X.9.

For example, your AP cost before BT is 15, with BT it is 15-(0.3*15)=15-4.5=10.5--> 11
(while if it had been 10.4, it would have been rounded to 10.)

Advanced:
Note that what is rounded is the the final AP cost, NOT the reduction.

Last edited:

CHEMS

Scholar
all of the Psionic characters in the game are so cool

Except that bald faggot that pops out of nowhere stealthed and stuns you. That one can go fuck himself.

Speaking of lunatics: on the final update Styg should add a HUGE lunatic fight on the Deep Caverns. For those who doesn't know, Constantine speaks of constant atempts of Lunatics crawling the Oculus trying to get in, but getting fried by the eletric defense system. They, according to him, have a base in the Deep Caverns, but we don't actually see them.

I think it would be awesome to have a final showdown with them down there, something way harder and epic than the shopping mall fight.

Styg need's to implement more ways to learn Psionics other than just the few abilities you can learn from the people at SGS with the rest being picked up as you play the game. There should be unique quests that need to be done to get certain abilities, perhaps some C&C where helping someone gets you X ability while helping someone else gets you Y ability, and you have to pick one or the other. There should be some unique dungeons that you have to do to get a certain Psionic mentor, and other such things. One of my favorite parts of Underrail is interacting with NPC's in the game and building a pseudo-connection with them. Any time there is a teacher-student relationship, that's like a cheap easy way to build a connection, so I feel like Styg should really lean into that. Plus, all of the Psionic characters in the game are so cool, so why shouldn't there be more of them?

Psi already has exclusive content. No thanks.

CHEMS

Scholar
This new Utility Tower area is really cool. We finally have a frozen ambient to explore.

Level design is troll-tier level though.

CHEMS

Scholar
By the way, i advise bringing lots of coal and a lighter. A regenerative vest is advised, with cold resistance.

I think i'm 7 levels or up climbing the tower, is this thing finally taking to the surface? Note that this is in Upper Underrail, above the metro lines. Maybe the great happening was an Ice Age or something.

CHEMS

Scholar
Finished exploring the tower. Reached the final level and.....

68.gif

Tygrende

Arbiter
By the way, i advise bringing lots of coal and a lighter. A regenerative vest is advised, with cold resistance.

I think i'm 7 levels or up climbing the tower, is this thing finally taking to the surface? Note that this is in Upper Underrail, above the metro lines. Maybe the great happening was an Ice Age or something.
i believe the utility tower is extremaly significant for the lore.

As you noted, it starts in upper underrail which is the highest location in the game so far and it only goes up, a lot. It getting progressively colder implies that the surface itself is extremaly cold if not frozen solid. Or it's just the tower being cold for some other reason, but that case is a dead end lore-wise, so lets explore the 1st secenario.

My bet is on the sun being gone or otherwise obscured. Most likely eaten/destroyed by a leviathan, most likely Flottsormir. It adds up with the painting at the Abyssal Station during the shadowlith fight, which shows just that - a giant serpent devouring a sun. Also the general information we have on leviathans from the Mainframe and other sources.

It also adds up in terms of the setting and general logic - if sun is gone, the best way of supporting life is going deeper and relying on geothermal energy. I've seen a few theories about what would happen if sun was gone and they mostly agree that life in deep ocean wouldn't really change at all.

There's also the debuff that makes you feel hopeless at higher levels. Could be it's just the cold. Or getting closer to the surface has that effect for some supernatural reason.

Sykar

Arcane

But not the mentors. Level 15 now having pretty much exhausted all merchants and most standard dungeons so far and nothing. Some of those abilities have very low requirements except for Plasma Beam at 90. I hope they are not all in the Expansion areas.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

As you noted, it starts in upper underrail which is the highest location in the game so far and it only goes up, a lot. It getting progressively colder implies that the surface itself is extremaly cold if not frozen solid. Or it's just the tower being cold for some other reason, but that case is a dead end lore-wise, so lets explore the 1st secenario.

My bet is on the sun being gone or otherwise obscured. Most likely eaten/destroyed by a leviathan, most likely Flottsormir. It adds up with the painting at the Abyssal Station during the shadowlith fight, which shows just that - a giant serpent devouring a sun. Also the general information we have on leviathans from the Mainframe and other sources.

It also adds up in terms of the setting and general logic - if sun is gone, the best way of supporting life is going deeper and relying on geothermal energy. I've seen a few theories about what would happen if sun was gone and they mostly agree that life in deep ocean wouldn't really change at all.

There's also the debuff that makes you feel hopeless at higher levels. Could be it's just the cold. Or getting closer to the surface has that effect for some supernatural reason.

Its definitely not a big snake obscuring sun. There was an event which destroyed horizon[sky] and im thinking its the dyson sphere or something like that. The similar event was described in the oculus mainframe when these two god/alien factions warred against each other.

The Jester

Cipher
Styg still no "Psionic Suicide" for Thought Control.

You plant a hidden death-urge impulse in the subject’s unconscious. On the subject’s next turn, it looks for the quickest method to end its life and attempts to do so. The subject takes no other action on its turn except attempting to harm itself.

If armed, the subject attacks itself as a full-round action. The attack automatically succeeds and deals damage as a critical hit. If unarmed, the subject moves adjacent to the nearest enemy and provokes an attack of opportunity, offering its opponent an opening, which the opponent may or may not choose to take advantage of.

If the subject is unarmed and no enemy is nearby, the subject simply does nothing at all. A subject close to an immediate and lethal hazard such as a cliff or a fire might hurl itself off the cliff or into the fire instead of striking itself with a weapon.
:negative:

CHEMS

Scholar

I agree with you. Even though the "reward" was definitely not worth it. Unless i missed something.

as for feeling hopeless, i think in the higher levels the player character starts having hallucinations due to the cold

Machocruz

Arcane
So what kind of build could one make that's fairly unique to this game? Psi? Traps? I played a bit with an SMG build, but gunplay is common in RPGs.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
So what kind of build could one make that's fairly unique to this game? Psi? Traps? I played a bit with an SMG build, but gunplay is common in RPGs.
the way stealth is implemented is unique. Traps are rare. Psi is just cave wizardry.
There are throwing knives but they are weak. Perhaps throwing spears would be your thing

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom