Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Codex Year of the Donut

ss_13e5e76194da61cd39a91ed93eb8759bf67f8276.1920x1080.jpg

how do they fuck it up every single time

all they have to do is take origins+anthology from the ps1 and port it directly to modern platforms, and they're done. They don't need to actually make a new game.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's not like modern Arma at all. It was a single player game. They made these incredibly intricate scenarios where the AI is fighting out a battle at reinforced-company level and you're stuck in the middle of it, usually just trying to not get killed. It's an experience you won't find anywhere else.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's not like modern Arma at all. It was a single player game. They made these incredibly intricate scenarios where the AI is fighting out a battle at reinforced-company level and you're stuck in the middle of it, usually just trying to not get killed. It's an experience you won't find anywhere else.

Psst, you should try my campaign ;)

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I'm still debating Battletech at 10 dollars. I thought about getting the Baldur's Gate EE but I think those are better on GOG.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh, so this is the original Operation Flashpoint, but renamed. It's a very nice game. I remember getting stuck in the last part of the last mission back in the day, 20 years(!) ago...Blimey how the time flies.

Still haven't bought anything, but this is what I'm currently eyeballing. Fairly likely I trim it back before pulling the trigger but they're all sticking in my mind at least and the discounts are reasonably high.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/5253/Neverwinter_Nights_Enhanced_Edition_Digital_Deluxe/ Only $3 for the two modules I'm missing. Likely not all that worth it but it's 82% off so what the hell.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2638/Zero_Escape_Trilogy/ HIGHLY suspect because of weebery and Japan being The Great Satan, but I've enjoyed Phoenix Wright so it's possible that I can tolerate Japan when it comes to adventure games. Heard they're supposed to be quite good and the price seems reasonable, so I might roll the dice.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/13789/Danganronpa_12V3/ Similar to Zero Escape although I gather it's even weebier. But I think it's supposedly even closer to Phoenix Wright gameplay-wise (I gather you get "Adventure" parts where you shuffle around picking up garbage and getting a raging clue, then there are "Dialog" parts where you question nerds based on what you found) so maybe I'd like it despite anime teenagers which is always a red flag.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/14936/Quantic_Dream_Collection/ I'm a sucker for CYOA and I've heard Detroit is the best thing since sliced bread, and that's the main reason I'd get the bundle. But given that Detroit's $20 by itself and it's $32 for the bundle then the other two are probably worth a look at $6 each. Little leery just because of Indigo Prophecy, started out cool and then turned into anime super powered zombie fighting aliens and fucking his waifu on a dirty subway mattress, but I'm assuming these can't fuck up as hard as that. Heard Detroit's actually extremely reactive and has a fuckton of C&C, Heavy Rain has a few major C&C moments, and Beyond is kind of a linear mess.

Also was thinking about Stein's Gate because of CYOA love, but my tentative research on it while trying to avoid spoilers made it sound like it might not do much for C&C which is ideally what I want from CYOA. Plus the discount's not that hot, and if weebery bothers me for the other games in my list there's still some puzzling and adventure gaming there but Stein's relies entirely on the story.

nly $3 for the two modules I'm missing.
And what ones are these? Because if one of them is that Dark Dreams of Furiae thing you might as well burn your money, your dog and then your home.
One is. But the other is fancylad Tyrants of the Moonsea and Ossian's cool, so the dollar difference is likely worth it just for completeness' sake.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well if that's how it is then that's how it is. Wait, is tyrants from Ossian? I thought Daggerford was theirs.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Oh, so this is the original Operation Flashpoint, but renamed. It's a very nice game. I remember getting stuck in the last part of the last mission

I had just finally gotten there after I have no idea how many hours crawling around on my belly avoiding commies... and then something came up in the real world. Graduated or went on vacation or something and I never got back to it. I don't even know what bullshit those satanic Czech bastards came up with to torture me.

mastroego

Arcane
Well, I've just added a few minor items to my Talisman Digital package to complete the collection.
I hate partial things.
I probably won't be getting anything else.

Dexter

Arcane

https://nichegamer.com/2021/07/03/nis-america-to-raise-pc-game-prices-july-19/
NIS America to Raise PC Game Prices July 19
by Ryan Pearson on July 3, 2021 at 2:12 PM, EDT
NIS-America-07-03-2021.jpg

NIS America have announced they will be raising the prices of their games across PC digital stores such as Steam and Epic Games Store.

The announcement on NIS America’s website states “Following the conclusion of our sales on the Epic Games Store, Microsoft Store, Stadia, and Steam, the prices of select titles on PC platforms will be updated. These changes will take effect starting July 19.”

It should be noted this is not the prices returning back to their un-discounted prices. For example (according to SteamDB), Disgaea PC was $14.99 USD prior to any discount. From July 19th, it will raise to $19.99 USD; the same as when it was first introduced to the store.

You can find the breakdown of the games and their new upcoming prices below; along with what their un-discounted prices they currently are on Steam (in brackets).

• The 25th Ward: The Silver Case. $19.99 USD ($9.99 USD)
  • Birthdays the Beginning. $19.99 USD ($9.99 USD)
  • The Caligula Effect: Overdose. $49.99 USD ($29.99 USD)
  • Cladun Returns: This Is Sengoku!. $19.99 USD ($9.99 USD)
  • Cladun X2. $9.99 USD ($4.99 USD)
  • Criminal Girls: Invite Only. $19.99 USD ($9.99 USD)
  • Disgaea PC. $19.99 USD ($14.99 USD)
  • htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary. $9.99 USD ($4.99 USD)
  • Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk. $49.99 USD ($29.99 USD)
  • The Longest Five Minutes. $19.99 USD ($9.99 USD)
  • Phantom Brave PC. $19.99 USD ($4.99 USD)
  • PSYCHO-PASS: Mandatory Happiness. $19.99 USD ($9.99 USD)
  • A Rose in the Twilight. $19.99 USD ($9.99 USD)
  • Yomawari: Night Alone. $19.99 USD ($9.99 USD)
  • Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA. $59.99 USD ($39.99 USD)
Many of the above titles have been on Steam for several years, and had reduced prices over time.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nothing out of the ordinary anymore, I remember SEGA raised prices too (i.e. of all Total War games) because why sell cheaper when you can get more.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Still haven't bought anything, but this is what I'm currently eyeballing. Fairly likely I trim it back before pulling the trigger but they're all sticking in my mind at least and the discounts are reasonably high.

<sniop>

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/13789/Danganronpa_12V3/ Similar to Zero Escape although I gather it's even weebier. But I think it's supposedly even closer to Phoenix Wright gameplay-wise (I gather you get "Adventure" parts where you shuffle around picking up garbage and getting a raging clue, then there are "Dialog" parts where you question nerds based on what you found) so maybe I'd like it despite anime teenagers which is always a red flag.

<snip>

Also was thinking about Stein's Gate because of CYOA love, but my tentative research on it while trying to avoid spoilers made it sound like it might not do much for C&C which is ideally what I want from CYOA. Plus the discount's not that hot, and if weebery bothers me for the other games in my list there's still some puzzling and adventure gaming there but Stein's relies entirely on the story.

I'd had my eye on the Danganronpa trilogy and picked it up in the sale. Just played through the first one and although they were pretty cheap, suffering from a mild case of buyer's remorse. 1) It was extremely on-rails with pretty much everything spelt out for you. And 2) storyline was pants-on-head bonkers and frankly I was disappointed.

Think of it more as a VN with things you have to click on, there's no C&C and everything plays out as designed whatever you do. I sort of got to quite like the characters apart from the typical milquetoast MC, but if you're not a fan of anime teenagers YMMV.

Latelistener

Arcane

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bought all the Battle Bros dlcs, don’t think they’ll ever have large discounts, but who knows.

Also Cloudpunk ended up in my library, looking forward to listening to Vangelis and flying around in a spinner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom