Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sure, but its 5 months ago. Unless you are starting from scratch (which they according to Paradox were not, they had "started a collaboration with a new studio partner to finish work on the game"), the new studio should long since have compiled a rough outline to finish development (they should also have Alexandre Mandryka's "work notes", as he was basically trying to finishing and shipping the game the last 6 months or so that Hardsuit were the developer).

Which leads me back to "snag" (which might mean anything unforeseen up to and including starting from scratch). Time will tell

According to someone earlier in the thread with a ~Paradox source~ the new developer is in fact using nothing of Hardsuit's and and are starting over from scratch. That one Paradox employee did note that he wished he could un-announce a game. :P

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
So, release date 2026? Just let that pipe dream fucking die already.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I know I already posted a coda, but this one's too funny not to share.

Lack of honesty by management
Jun 30, 2021 - Anonymous Employee

Pros

401k, decent pay if you're otherwise used to only knowing contract pay positions in the area, really nice coworkers.

Cons

Lack of drive by managment, lack of transparency by managment, false promises, poor morale, no room for growth, lots of talk of diversity but laid off most of their women/people of color/non gender conforming people while touting how totally diverse the studio is, poor structure and planning.

Advice to Management

You need to respect your employees. Don't keep stringing people along saying how there's "totally more work" down the line. The reason you're hemorrhaging employees is because of this lack of honesty. People know they can't trust upper management. If there is a problem with gaining or keeping work for projects, you are at the least obligated to communicate this instead of last second cutting people's employment to just save a few bucks on your end. People are owed that communication at the very least or a heads up to find other opportunities. This sort of treatment by upper management feels unprofessional and how quickly they let it happen can be incredibly damaging to real people's lives. Your employees are people too. Giving people a few days notice of layoffs is absolutely unacceptable and speaks to your respect of your employees.

This person will never stop to think about why those particular persons were the ones to get laid off during a cash-crunched period for the company. :M

PlacidDragon

Educated
According to someone earlier in the thread with a ~Paradox source~ the new developer is in fact using nothing of Hardsuit's and and are starting over from scratch. That one Paradox employee did note that he wished he could un-announce a game. :P
hehe, i know. Raghar also said that they no longer wanted to use Mitsoda's writings. This heavily suggests starting over, but as of now, they are just rumors. Paradox has clammed up completely, and until they start talking about it again, we can just keep speculating until the cows come home :)

For what its worth, my only other experience with this was when Mythos (Julian Gollop's company) went bankrupt back in the day and the publisher passed on their code to a new developer to finish the game. This was a gigantic cluster... yeah... expired licenses, other programs with no licenses at all, and a massive hodge podge of systems that were half finished, not implemented and what had you. The new developer has to more or less can everything and start from scratch. In Gollop's defense he was trying for something revolutionary... not so much in Gollop's defense was that he didn't think much (if at all) about the economic aspect of things...hence bankruptcy :)

compvet24

Educated
It has been a real fun experience to pop in and out every few months or so and just read up on the ongoing torrent of shit that is coming out of this project. Overall Bloodlines 2 has provided me with months if not years of entertainment.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It has been a real fun experience to pop in and out every few months or so and just read up on the ongoing torrent of shit that is coming out of this project. Overall Bloodlines 2 has provided me with months if not years of entertainment.

my sentiments exactly

Flying Dutchman

Learned

That employee was Shams Jojani, the Creative Director.* Did he say wish, or just speculate how to do it?

Either way, probably should have not said that, but that's conflicting with my desire for them to say more dumb shit.

So... we actually have confirmation they're throwing away all of Mitsoda's stuff? :( Man, the voice acting cost being flushed down the toilet alone must be painnnnnful.

* Of Paradox, not Hardsuit, since that guy (Ka'ai) got canned. He probably wished he could have un-announced the whole idea, too.

Wesp5

Arcane
So... we actually have confirmation they're throwing away all of Mitsoda's stuff? :(

If that is true, and with a huge chance that Rik Schaffer isn't involved anymore either (as he is publishing all his music with Sony now), they can pretty much stop calling it Bloodlines 2, because they were all that connected the two games.

user

Savant
It will be doubly hilarious if they will cancel this clusterfuck after all, just on the second try.

And lose all that profit from imaginary product preorders?
Who says they will refund?

I mean the preorders that will happen once the new devs release another trailer.

So... we actually have confirmation they're throwing away all of Mitsoda's stuff? :(

If that is true, and with a huge chance that Rik Schaffer isn't involved anymore either (as he is publishing all his music with Sony now), they can pretty much stop calling it Bloodlines 2, because they were all that connected the two games.

When it comes to music, all I ask is that they at least set up the theme properly and use industrial/electro/gothic/metal tracks and not some pop garbage. I don't know how much it would cost to license actual songs from bands like Tiamat, Lacuna maybe Hocico, Mechanical Moth etc but it would be really cool if they did this time around too.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That employee was Shams Jojani, the Creative Director.* Did he say wish, or just speculate how to do it?

It was "Alexa: How do you un-announce a game?" https://twitter.com/ShamsJorjani/status/1364119883370418176

It's now as much of a sequel as Fallout 3, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Baldur's Gate 3. What matters most is the brand recognition. +M

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
If indeed they are throwing all the tumblr trash Cucksoda and his gender fluid mistress wrote, then this is a massive incline and the first great news one has heard about this project. Removing HSL from development is also another great sign. I still have no hope in the game, but at least now there is a small % chance that it will not be shit.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
If indeed they are throwing all the tumblr trash Cucksoda and his gender fluid mistress wrote, then this is a massive incline and the first great news one has heard about this project. Removing HSL from development is also another great sign. I still have no hope in the game, but at least now there is a small % chance that it will not be shit.

But Paradox is from al-Scania. Whatever new dev they come up with will be forced to continue the trend of respectful portrayal of sex-workers, mature portrayal of Malkavian mental illness, special snowflake thinblood significance, etc, etc.

Last edited:

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
5fgmfo.jpg

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I actually expect and I'm perfectly fine with Coalition and Splash damage to make a good action game since for RPG would take longer and harder to do in AAA game.

Last edited:

Flying Dutchman

Learned

If Womb Music is out, that also means the voice director, too, right?

I wonder if Damsel's voice actor is aware of all she stepped into on this one, oh boy.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wonder if Damsel's voice actor is aware of all she stepped into on this one, oh boy.

If all the writing's gone, her character might be gone entirely as well (and good riddance, her presence in Seattle felt forced). She still gets paid though so it's fine.

Lambach

Arcane
If indeed they are throwing all the tumblr trash Cucksoda and his gender fluid mistress wrote, then this is a massive incline and the first great news one has heard about this project.

Bruh, they will all just be replaced by a nearly identical cadre of lesser-known Tumblr trash willing to work for less money, stop kidding yourself.

Besides, that's precisely the type of people who would be attracted by the source material they're going with (V5), so it's not like there's any hope there to begin with at all.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I know I already posted a coda, but this one's too funny not to share.

Lack of honesty by management
Jun 30, 2021 - Anonymous Employee

Pros

401k, decent pay if you're otherwise used to only knowing contract pay positions in the area, really nice coworkers.

Cons

Lack of drive by managment, lack of transparency by managment, false promises, poor morale, no room for growth, lots of talk of diversity but laid off most of their women/people of color/non gender conforming people while touting how totally diverse the studio is, poor structure and planning.

Advice to Management

You need to respect your employees. Don't keep stringing people along saying how there's "totally more work" down the line. The reason you're hemorrhaging employees is because of this lack of honesty. People know they can't trust upper management. If there is a problem with gaining or keeping work for projects, you are at the least obligated to communicate this instead of last second cutting people's employment to just save a few bucks on your end. People are owed that communication at the very least or a heads up to find other opportunities. This sort of treatment by upper management feels unprofessional and how quickly they let it happen can be incredibly damaging to real people's lives. Your employees are people too. Giving people a few days notice of layoffs is absolutely unacceptable and speaks to your respect of your employees.

This person will never stop to think about why those particular persons were the ones to get laid off during a cash-crunched period for the company. :M

Did I read that correctly: $401k a year for making RPGs?. I can't find out who the developer is, and where thay're based, so I'm assuming that's Venezuelen Soveriegn Bolivar or something...

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
401k is the American term for a pension fund.
More or less, although a pension is funded by the employer, while a 401k comes out of the employee's paycheck, pre-tax. (Albeit with a possible match from the employer up to a certain %).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom