Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Chris Avellone grows a pair and fights back against being cancelled

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm not from kwanzania, but doesn't it mean he will have to convice every single one of them that Karissa was unquestionably malicious, random hoes included, in order to win ?
If yes, then like what the fuck is wrong with him, how out of touch with reality you can be ?

Yes. His high-priced lawyers believed this was less risky than a bench trial.

passerby

Arcane
I don't know how politicised, indoctrinated, or spineless judges in kwanzania are. I doubt it's the case, but if it indeed is less risky, than this whole lawsuit is not worth it imo.
It won't uncancel his career and everyone in private life that doesn't stand by him already, is not worth having close anyway. Just imagine how much another #meetoo hoes a failed lawsuit will encourage.

As mentioned here multiple times, the time to act was when a threat of lawsuit could stop the bullshit on its tracks, it would be on her to asses the risks and she would have nothing to gain by putting herself on trail.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know how politicised, indoctrinated, or spineless judges in kwanzania are. It very well may be less risky, but if that is the case, than this whole lwsuit is not worth the risk imo.
It won't uncancel his career anyway and everyone in private life that doesn't stand by him already, is not worth having close anyway. Just imagine how much another #meetoo hoes a failed lawsuit will encourage.

As mentioned here multiple times, the time to act was when a threat of lawsuit could stop the bullshit on its tracks, it would be on her to asses the risks and she would have nothing to gain by putting herself on trail.

The intent is probably that it gets settled long before a jury verdict is required.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
You have to keep in mind that MCA seems like a dude with his heart at the right place, whose too naive for his own good and believes in due process, common courtesy and that people are inherently good. Its about the principle and not about getting anything of actual value out of this. I think anyone who has watched these situations unfold over the past few years knows that it won't suddenly make developers think of him as employable again, or that we will see another RPG with him as the lead. But if it helps him sleep better at night, he deserves the victory even if it is a hollow one that cost him more money than it made him.

I doubt that even now he feels any animosity towards those girls. If given the chance he'd probably settle for a public recanting of the initial statements and an apology over taking those cunts for everything theyre worth. He simply doesn't strike me as the vindictive type. He's too pure and too good for the place that this shitstain of a planet has turned into.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm not from kwanzania, but doesn't it mean he will have to convice every single one of them that Karissa was unquestionably malicious, random hoes included, in order to win ?
If yes, then like what the fuck is wrong with him, how out of touch with reality you can be ?

Consider that many cases settle for the simple reason that trials are expensive, particularly jury trials. Jury trials have voir dire, jury instructions, deliberations, etc. that drag the process out and increase the cost.

I would argue that Avellone’s choice of a jury trial is just a tactic to pressure the defendants into settling the case. Also, if the defendants can’t pay their attorneys for an extended jury trial, I generally don’t see non-attorneys surviving through the discovery process.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

If that is the case and Avellone really believes a jury will unanimously exonerate him, then he deserve his future canceled for being such a slurping moron.
It seems he learned NOTHING from Chauvin's trial and I bet he's progressive enough (aka out of touch) that thinks that dude had a fair trial!

I really don't know if this dissonant Avellone schmuck deserves anyone rooting for him anymore.
Does this fucker knows in what fuckin reality he lives in?

Good luck finding impartial jurors in sunny California!

I already see with my mind's eye Karissa's defense saturating the juror pool with all sorts of pink haired wackos with pussy hats tatooed on their forehead!
Good luck fucko!

If it comes to a jury trial, I give him zero chance of winning.
Literally ZERO.

нуль!

Jurror pool below
Antifa-Goon-Squad-scaled.jpg

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If that is the case and Avellone really believes a jury will unanimously exonerate him, then he deserve his future canceled for being such a slurping moron.
It seems he learned NOTHING from Chauvin's trial and I bet he's progressive enough (aka out of touch) that thinks that dude had a fair trial!

I trust his lawyers know what they're doing and he's not doing anything to contradict them given their credentials

Neville Johnson – named one of the Top 100 Power Lawyers by the Hollywood Reporter 2008-2018 and inducted as a “Legal Legend” 2020, selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers 2006-2008, 2015-2020
He has been repeatedly selected by Super Lawyers as one of the top entertainment attorneys in Southern California (top 5% of attorneys as voted by peers). In 2020 Super Lawyer and his peers named him one of the top 100 attorneys in Southern California, the only entertainment attorney on the list, he was named one of the top 100 Power Lawyers in Entertainment Law by The Hollywood Reporter every year since, 2008, and in 2020 moved to a new permanent category and designated a “Legal Legend.”

The other one's only been practicing law since last November which is a bit concerning, but she did well in law school so as I've said, unless it's deliberate sabotage or Chris is ignoring their advice but they still like his money too much to quit, there's a well-reasoned strategy behind what they're doing.

mondblut

Arcane

I don't remember nation-wide riots in the name of karissa's violated sobriety and jacqui collins' third wheeling exit strategy. Do you have any links?

Good luck finding impartial jurors in sunny California!

Contrary to the rumors, commiefornia is not a monolithic entity. The hinterland is still largely red, and LA is considered a less "progressive" place than SF. Moreover, Orange country is basically 50/50.

passerby

Arcane
I agree, that the only angle that makes sense is that it could spook her and she will be open to settle.
Women are more risk averse after all, she had nothing to loose by shitting on him on twitter, repeating it on a trial carries some risk for her, even if small.

If it'd come to trial, it's like 90% she will be found not guilty ( an estimate pulled out of my ass, expressing how I feel about MCA's chances on jury trial ).

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
I don't remember nation-wide riots in the name of karissa's violated sobriety and jacqui collins' third wheeling exit strategy. Do you have any links?

do you think that the far left BLM/ANTIFA rioters don't also strongly adhere to the "believe all women" mantra or have any respect for the notion of "better leave the guilty free than an innocent in prison" ?

and just one juror is enough to make him lose the trial in which case this will be interpreted by all the activists and presented on twitter as proof he's a rapist.
you have more chances to win the lottery than not having a political activist in your jury pool nowadays.

And what's with all this optimism?
Chauvin had a freakin BLM activist in the jury, where the scrutiny should've been extreme for such an important trial.
The #metoo hysteria is just as popular as Floyd's "deliberate, malicious murder".

And you think Avellone will receive top notch scrutiny to not have a tainted jury?
Sequestered jury? lol
The fist thing the jurors will do is to google his name, they will not even wait to leave the court building.
How many times his legal team can reject a juror proposal?

I trust his lawyers know what they're doing

If the lawyer isn't a hardcore Planescape:Torment fanboy that would give his life for Avellone and fill his walls at home with pin pictures and knitting wool strings, then don't be so sure they "know what they're doin' ".
They receive their paycheck whatever the verdict.

They could regard Avellone as yet another John Doe who wanted to seek justice in the #metoo era, another source of amusement, a fun story for sharing between lawyers when they get together at their favorite bar, on a Friday night:

"And I said to him... get this... you should get a jury trial !".
"Bwahahahahahahah!"

"He liked casual sex a lot... well... that was the denial phase..."
"Bless his soul... he has lot's of money though... I heard he once had a sugar daddy called Feargus.
"Bad breakup. But lots of money!"

"He's still adamant he's not gay... but we all know the truth."

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Can we look on the bright side? A twitter user who posted upwards of 10 tweets per day has deleted all her tweets and practically left the platform. The less people twitting on twitter, the better off we all are. That's a win in anyone's language.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
the lawyer isn't a hardcore Planescape:Torment fanboy that would give his life for Avellone and fill his walls at home with pin pictures and knitting wool strings, then don't be so sure they "know what they're doin' ".
They receive their paycheck whatever the verdict.

They could regard Avellone as yet another John Doe who wanted to seek justice in the #metoo era, another source of amusement, a fun story for sharing between lawyers when they get together at their favorite bar, on a Friday night:

"And I said to him... get this... you should get a jury trial !".
"Bwahahahahahahah!"

"He liked casual sex a lot... well... that was the denial phase..."
"Bless his soul... he has lot's of money though... I heard he once had a sugar daddy called Feargus.
"Bad breakup. But lots of money!"

"He's still adamant he's not gay... but we all know the truth."

What you're suggesting is intentional sabotage as opposed to incompetence. Incompetence is unlikely.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Can we look on the bright side? A twitter user who posted upwards of 10 tweets per day has deleted all her tweets and practically left the platform. The less people twitting on twitter, the better off we all are. That's a win in anyone's language.
To whom are you referring? Both women being sued are still on twitter, they just locked their accounts.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Incompetence is unlikely.

I'm suggesting that if the lawyers didn't strongly oppose a jury trial, then they're as much as out of touch with the present day realities of a ever increasing ideological divided and over politicized society.

But maybe Avelone really pushed the idea of a jury trial because he's an incurable romantic where he wants to bombastically be found worthy of his claim by a jury of his peers.
And being found unanimously worthy by his peers and not by a "corrupt" judge, he thinks this will give him more legitimacy onwards in clearing his tainted name.

And in this case, lawyers didn't tried too hard to cure him of his romanticism and just asked him to show them the pile of money!

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Contrary to the rumors, commiefornia is not a monolithic entity

Your suggestion that Avellone will have a fair trial because he's too low key and there's no blackmail/peril of large scale mayhem and riots, is entirely false.

Ideologs will always search for "test cases" to which they seek to impale their flag in their never ending propaganda war.

This was the case in the post Bolshevik revolution where anonyms became over-night enemy of the people in the class purge that followed.
It's not far fetched to believe that Avellone could be portrayed in media as lil' Cosby II if a certain critical mass is reached.
And then he will find out he raped 60+ women as more and more will come forward.

All of a sudden, the theory of which "Avellone wrote all those nasty & controversial quests because he's a sick sexual abuser" as someone already said on twitter, will make great headlines.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Jury selection is still a thing though, and I'm sure any decent lawyer worth his salt can assess and get rid of typical SJW types during selection.

Since his case is mostly about a matter of fact, and not law, a jury is much more likely to decide in favor of the wronged person - in this case that would be Avellone. Someone with proper knowledge of the law will almost never make it through Jury selection however (at least the few lawyer friends I have always get struck down immediately when they say they're lawyers) as you want the dumbest and most uneducated and biased Jury imaginable. In this case you want the redneck red-voting CA resident that might already subscribe to the "Social Media is Fake News" agenda or has an easy time siding against a woman making baseless claims and accusations online. Seing how the trial is set to be held in Orange County, which is still pretty much 50:50 in terms of political stance, I don't find it hard to believe that requesting a Jury Trial is actually helping his case. Finding unlawful behavior in these social media cases and statements is difficult, but it doesn't take much for the Jury to be convinced that statements were stated as fact, when they couldn't have been or were straightup lies, which is what a libel case relies on pretty heavily.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
eing how the trial is set to be held in Orange County, which is still pretty much 50:50 in terms of political stance, I don't find it hard to believe that requesting a Jury Trial is actually helping his case.

While Chris lives in Orange, the trial is taking place in Los Angeles county. As I keep saying, I'm sure they have sound reasons for filing it there.

Absinthe

Arcane
A jury trial is probably preferred because it's much easier to convince a jury that Chris Avellone has been maliciously wronged through deliberate falsehoods than a judge who can adopt a stringently narrow interpretation of what constitutes a statement of fact (For example, is "Chris Avellone is a sexual predator" a statement of fact or a matter of opinion? This exact question will come up in the trial.) and what constitutes malice. Really, in any sort of personal injury trial (libel/defamation of character is a type of personal injury trial), juries are usually preferred since they're more willing than judges to accept that wrongdoing has occurred.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The hard part (after the iffy part of beating an anti-slapp) will be convincing a jury, since he requested a jury trial.

I'm not from kwanzania, but doesn't it mean that in order to win, he will have to convice every single one of them that Karissa was unquestionably malicious, random hoes included ?

It varies from state to state, but usually only some kind of majority or super majority decision is required for civil cases. As long as a certain specified percentage of the jury rules a certain way.

According to this California court website "In a civil case, the judge will tell you how many jurors must agree in order to reach a verdict."

https://www.courts.ca.gov/2240.htm#panel2245

So, California only requires some kind of majority verdict for Civil Cases. Although, I have no idea what the majority percentage is for California or if it varies based on the type of civil suit. But it doesn't look like MCA will need a unanimous jury to win.

TF

Educated
Alright, I accept my rant was hasty. This has now inclined into a premier analysis by rpg nerds of a leading example of the crisis of the West.

On his employability, surely his inbox is being flooded by small projects offering him writing contracts under a pseudonym?

Last edited:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
To whom are you referring? Both women being sued are still on twitter, they just locked their accounts.
I'm gonna be honest. I'm not that familiar with twitter terminology and what a locked account is.

But it makes it harder for people to read their bullshit, right?

A horse of course

I'm gonna be honest. I'm not that familiar with twitter terminology and what a locked account is.

Ask Infinitron. I've seen him sneer about people being "ratio'd" and other twatter tranny terminology.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I'm also somewhat confused by the operation of Twitter these days. As far as I'm aware your account can be in one of three states, fully open, follower only or locked/private.

Hopefully they do the world a favour and stay in the latter long after the case.

Krice

Arcane
Developer
Like I said before - such people aren't all gone, they are just less noticeable due to the flood of less noteworthy games. At this point it comes down to being able to separate the wheat from the chaff.

It's not that simple. The industry is heavily influenced by USA and that country is like a big pile of crap slowly draining on other countries as well. Somehow anything that happens in US is worth imitating which is so funny it's not even funny anymore. If it was only US everyone else would just laugh at how dumb you guys are. Because you are so dumb it hurts. Everything you do is against all logic that ever existed.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
A jury trial is probably preferred because it's much easier to convince a jury that Chris Avellone has been maliciously wronged through deliberate falsehoods than a judge who can adopt a stringently narrow interpretation of what constitutes a statement of fact (For example, is "Chris Avellone is a sexual predator" a statement of fact or a matter of opinion? This exact question will come up in the trial.) and what constitutes malice. Really, in any sort of personal injury trial (libel/defamation of character is a type of personal injury trial), juries are usually preferred since they're more willing than judges to accept that wrongdoing has occurred.

As mentioned previously, I doubt they want it to get that far. Their ideal resolution is probably that the defendants agree to a settlement before that.

Chris would probably be happy with some sort of public apology.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom