Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Nexus Now Disallowing Creators To Delete Their Mods (Aug 5 Cutoff Date Passed)

passerby

Arcane
If you are refering to me, I've explicitely said that what they get in donations is a pocket change not worth the effort, but it's always something.

Modders mostly don't complain here about the collections feature, but about inability to remove their work in the future.
Quality modders deleting quality mods is actually a non existing issue, so nexus pitching users against modders over it, claiming it's necessary for collections to succeed, is clearly disingenuous.
Realistically, if modders stayed with Nexus all these years, why would Nexus suddenly feel the need to claim ownership of the content, unless it planned some serious changes to the bussiness model, that could potentially cause an exodus.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Because they want to get rid of the drama.

If you upload a mod - which is usually just a derivative of some company's work anyway - it is like a gift to other people who like it.

When you are in a bad mood you don't go to your friends either and say you want the birthday gifts back you gave them 3 years ago do you. Or if you donated a tree in a park, you can't just go there and pull it out. It is shallow and it no longer belongs to you.

No one forces you to upload your work btw. And if you create mods to inflate your self esteem, you need a psychiatrist.

passerby

Arcane
What percentage of mods you've used was at any point deleted by the modder, because of drama ? In my case it's 0%, it's a fake almost non existing issue.

On the other hand I've used a few great mods, that were not deleted from the internet, but not available on Nexus long before the current debacle, because modders disagreed with Nexus ToS and these modders are as far from attention and drama seeking as you can get.
The modders that'll leave Nexus because of them wanting to claim the ownership over their work, are exactly the types that don't care about attention and how many downloads they get.

It's a difference if 20% of modders will stop releasing new stuff on Nexus because of something shady on their part in the future, or if 20% of mods disappear from Nexus and shows up on modDB.
The latter would cause instant influx of users to modDB, that could inspire even more modders to migrate and modDB team to invest into development of mod manager apps support.
The only feature that modDB needs to match Nexus in functionality is mod managers support for easy downloads and updates notifications.
In fact no one technically needs Nexus to implement mod collections, such a feature could be easily implemented in MO2 without any cooperation from Nexus.

My hunch is that Nexus plans something they know will piss off modders and no delete trap is a preparation for that.

Last edited:

passerby

Arcane
Presumed I am right, then what difference does it make if it remains an option?

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I'll raise points in no particular order:
- If you are a normal person wanting to play a modded game, the compilations are godsend. There is simply no way in hell I am going to debug a 100+ modlist, or a 800+ wabbajack monstrosity. Having more of them will be good, since they might be more to my liking.
- Losing interaction with their users is a silly claim, the modlist feature will filter away alot of the inane and stupid questions, because they get directed to the curator; while users with some intellect might read debug logs and also contact the modder itself
- on one hand some claim to be in only for the joy and making free mods, on the other hand they see a possibility (afaik the actual procedure of the new features seems to be pretty open) of someone getting a few more donations, and AAAAAAAAAAA.
- maintaining huge modlists is no easy task at all, escpecially if the mods are current and get updated frequently
- complaining about nexus "premium-paywalling" is probably the stupidest thing I ever heard. They have rented servers in several nations to setup a really good content-delivery system, which will probably cost them ~100-200k a month. So yea, paying them keeps the thing running.
- some claim nexus will "steal" their mods and artistry, mostly those with 4-10 facelifts, modpatches and *insertboobjoke*, just stfu

In the end modlists are the logical evolution of modding, and Nexus is taking steps to keep up with that change.

passerby

Arcane
Still don't get how is no delete policy absolutely required for modlists to work ?

I could imagine in some rare case of deleted mod, you'd get a warning about it and mods that depends on deleted one disabled until modlist curator deals with it.
How would it be any more of nuissance, than it already is. I also repeat the question to all complainers, what percentage of mods you've used was deleted by modders ?

I've just explained why some modders are not big fans of modpacks, modlists integrated with nexus/mod manager will be way more acceptable. I'm a big fan of a modlist feature personally.
I've even released once a modpack that got a cold reception from modders, but the only ones that asked me to remove their shit were authors of some texture replacers, that I've removed without regret.

It was unnecessary digression, since modlists are not an issue for most of modders, but no delete policy is.
I just find it really disengunous that Nexus PR makes it the same issue and a fake controversy out of it, to shut up legit complains of modders, by inspiring mod users outrage mob.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Still don't get how is no delete policy absolutely required for modlists to work ?

I could imagine in some rare case of deleted mod, you'd get a warning about it and mods that depends on deleted one disabled until modlist curator deals with it.
How would it be any more of nuissance, than it already is.

Right.. it's a fucking nuisance. That's the point..

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
But wait.. That's exactly the feature Nexus are implementing that your whining about... a Curated Collection list of mods that are compatible together feature that other players / modders can build and share..
Except what you're talking about is more about keeping older mods in circulation. As a form of archive.
What I'm talking about is a template for developers to stay organised that encourages good practices.

I do see your point though. If you removed your work that was a dependency that's just an outright dickish move to make.
In the past we were worried about mod dependencies being lost due to server failures or sites being shutdown ModDB had that happen with Filefront and was forced to backup everything.
Its never been a problem where a modder wanted to remove their work though. As in it's never blown up like this before.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

That's the whole point, isn't it? The difference is that they think they have to take away the option because it actually happens a lot.

If you upload a mod it is final. Just as if I plant a tree in your garden, I can't come back years later and cut it down with a chainsaw when your children are playing under it.

Also if you are so unhappy with this why do you even need Nexus to distribute your mods? Buy some webspace of your own it costs less than 5$ a month, and you will be able to do whatever you please.

Ravielsk

Magister

That's the whole point, isn't it? The difference is that they think they have to take away the option because it actually happens a lot.

If you upload a mod it is final. Just as if I plant a tree in your garden, I can't come back years later and cut it down with a chainsaw when your children are playing under it.

Also if you are so unhappy with this why do you even need Nexus to distribute your mods? Buy some webspace of your own it costs less than 5$ a month, and you will be able to do whatever you please.

This is one thing that people seem to constantly struggle with when it comes to the internet and digital content in general. Whatever you put out there stays out there, the idea that you can control it afterwards only stems from the fact that there is the option to press "DELETE" but really that is no different from burning a sofa you tossed out years after you tossed it out. Its just that in real world people do not struggle with acknowledging that if something is provided free of charge you dont get to retroactively charge for it or take back ownership of it. But somehow this does not register when something is "digital".

Parabalus

Arcane
My most downloaded mod is nearing 200k(!) unique downloads. There's no way I could have ever gotten anywhere close to that without nexusmods, and especially not as easy as it is on nexusmods. I've even had my mods featured by nexusmods on their social media multiple times.

No, most modders will not go use a different site. Maybe a few crybabies will, and they'll be quickly forgotten.

Nexus is pledging to get their compensation pool up to 7 figures a year. (Aka 1Mil +)

This has really tested the holier-than-thou persona's of bigger more popular mods.
Anyone with even a semi popular mod either never give a shit or is being eerily silent right now despite their protests in the "private forum".

Even LoversLab modders have been attempting to switch over to Nexus, one of the traditionally most anti-nexus Coommunities.
The ones who don't are usually unable to because their mods are so perverse that they aren't allowed.

No way the Nexus monopoly could end badly, right?
It's just the most efficient ecosystem for everyone involved, and it's not like they'll ever abuse their power.

right-wing-censorship-comic1.png

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
My most downloaded mod is nearing 200k(!) unique downloads. There's no way I could have ever gotten anywhere close to that without nexusmods, and especially not as easy as it is on nexusmods. I've even had my mods featured by nexusmods on their social media multiple times.

No, most modders will not go use a different site. Maybe a few crybabies will, and they'll be quickly forgotten.

Nexus is pledging to get their compensation pool up to 7 figures a year. (Aka 1Mil +)

This has really tested the holier-than-thou persona's of bigger more popular mods.
Anyone with even a semi popular mod either never give a shit or is being eerily silent right now despite their protests in the "private forum".

Even LoversLab modders have been attempting to switch over to Nexus, one of the traditionally most anti-nexus Coommunities.
The ones who don't are usually unable to because their mods are so perverse that they aren't allowed.

It's just the most efficient ecosystem for everyone involved, and it's not like they'll ever abuse their power.

right-wing-censorship-comic1.png

The analogy of Gab/Twitter etc doesn't really work with Nexus as there are plenty of alternative mod sites that just aren't as popular.

There is no conspiracy against those alt mod sites like there is with social media competition (especially if that competition is even slightly right of centre).

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Meh.. People flock to the service that offers the best experience.
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Make your own modding site if you don't like it. Nexus isn't perfect.. lot's of other sites exist. Vortex works with every modding site.. you don't need Nexus at all to use it.

At this point you're basically saying "It's not fair Nexus does a better job!"

Tytus

Arcane
What percentage of mods you've used was at any point deleted by the modder, because of drama ? In my case it's 0%, it's a fake almost non existing issue.

https://www.thegamer.com/mass-effect-mods-deleted/

Depends on what game you were modding. This for example was just because of the creator's ego:

Someone might recreate my mod in the remastered version RRRRREEEEE I'm gonna delete all my mods!

Stokowski

Arcane
I must remember the next time I intend to break the law to give 30 days notice, and then I'll be immune from getting into trouble.

You can shit on modders all you want. (Except loverslab modders because they'd probably enjoy it.) But you can't (legally) assert de facto ownership of their work. No way. No how.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I must remember the next time I intend to break the law to give 30 days notice, and then I'll be immune from getting into trouble.

You can shit on modders all you want. (Except loverslab modders because they'd probably enjoy it.) But you can't (legally) assert de facto ownership of their work. No way. No how.

Read Nexus ToS

https://help.nexusmods.com/article/18-terms-of-service#content
User-submitted Content
User-submitted content includes all data submitted to our services by a Nexus Mods user. Nexus Mods does not claim any ownership of your content. By submitting content to our services, you are granting an infinite, non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license for Nexus Mods to store, distribute, copy or reproduce, edit, translate, reformat, publicly display, or perform the submitted content, at our discretion.

You didn't give up ownership of your content but you are granting them basically an infinitely recurring license to do whatever the fuck they want with it.

Seethe.

WhiteShark

Learned
All legal/contractual issues aside, anybody who believes you should have the right to take back anything you put online (or believes that's feasible to begin with) seriously does not understand the digital era we live in.

Parabalus

Arcane

Meh.. People flock to the service that offers the best experience.
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Make your own modding site if you don't like it. Nexus isn't perfect.. lot's of other sites exist. Vortex works with every modding site.. you don't need Nexus at all to use it.

At this point you're basically saying "It's not fair Nexus does a better job!"

Enthusiastically hailing the coming of Big Mod.

Zibniyat

Arcane
1) If most users acquire their mods with modpacks, modders will receive much less [ATTENTION].
Oh no.
Anyway.

Keep pretending that human work in domains of art and/or entertainment are for the sake of some noble, higher and selfless ideals, and not due to simple earthly and seemingly "dumb" desires also. But this "attention" isn't even a goal in itself, the goal is recognition which obviously can only be achieved through greater exposure, aka "attention".

Some modders use this recognition to earn money, others fame. There are countless people and many human activities which are done out of desire to acquire fame and prestige, to leave a trace of some sort. Codexers, as usual, just end up petty and obnoxious in pretending how they have some moral high ground in these things. You do not.

Selfless, "silent" good modders are correct as much as those opposite of them. The only exceptions are the genuine insane drama queens (Codex is also full of such users), who think that creating a mod has elevated them above any criticism, even if said criticism may be unfair and abrasive.

Stokowski

Arcane
Terms of Service do not supersede property or copyright law. (Or any other law for that matter.)

Stating "your usage of this service grants the owners of this service the right to rape your mother", does not in fact, make the rape legal.

All legal/contractual issues aside, anybody who believes you should have the right to take back anything you put online (or believes that's feasible to begin with) seriously does not understand the digital era we live in.

They may have the right. (It depends.) Whether the process is feasible or not is irrelevant. The ability to create perfect copies of data through digital means does not invalidate the rights of the creators of the original data. Law doesn't become moot because it is difficult to enforce. (Unless you live in Portland, apparently.)

Codex Year of the Donut
Terms of Service do not supersede property or copyright law. (Or any other law for that matter.)

Stating "your usage of this service grants the owners of this service the right to rape your mother", does not in fact, make the rape legal.

They may have the right. (It depends.) Whether the process is feasible or not is irrelevant. The ability to create perfect copies of data through digital means does not invalidate the rights of the creators of the original data. Law doesn't become moot because it is difficult to enforce. (Unless you live in Portland, apparently.)
The creator of the original data is the game developer, mods are derivative works by nature.

Stokowski

Arcane
^ With original creative elements which are transformative, creating new layers of creative ownership.

(Can't believe this has to be pointed out on the Codex for fuck's sake.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom