Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most regretful purchases?

Beans00

Augur
This might be a fun thread. I was talking to some people about regretful purchases, time we got ripped off by games being terrible. Then I mentioned it in the shoutbox but most of those people mostly pirate games.

Anyways what are some times you really got ripped off and didn't get your moneys worth? Which games did you really regret buying? Also if you remember how much you paid for it.

1. NWN 2(2006) 50-60$? I fell for the hype and pre ordered it. I didn't like NWN 1, and at that point I hadn't played KOTOR 2(never been a star wars fan). Anyways I figured it would be some improved baldurs gate style open ended game. It was a literal bucket of shit without the bucket.

2. Deus ex Invisible war(2003 but I purchased in 2004). Maybe 30-40$, not much needs to be said about this one. Loved the first game, not this one.

3. Europa universalis IV (2013) like 40$?. Thought it was dumbed down garbage compared to EUIII.

4. Assassin's Creed 1(2007) like 60$. Dumb 15 year old me fell for the marketing hype.

5. Empire total war(2009) like 50-60$. Compared to Rome 1 and Medieval 2, this bucket of shit buried the franchise for good.

HM: Rome 2 total war, stung less because I paid like 15$ for it. Absolute garbage.

Maybe some more I can't think of right now. Feel free to post yours

SoupNazi

Definitely Hitman: Absolution. There were warning signs, but I'm a big fan of the series, so I pre-purchased it. Kept giving it too many chances as well, so I exceeded the limit for a refund on Steam. Given it was pre-bought, I assume it must have been at least like 50€ that I'll never get back.

Other than that, I either manage to refund, or get my money's worth out of my purchases, I think.

Vatnik Wumao
BG3 EA, I guess. Will play the full game on release, but I don't have high hopes for it. Dislike the verticality of the maps and the narrative design doesn't seem that great from a storyfag perspective.

WhiteShark

Learned
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood (2008) $35

It was made by Bioware and I had grown up playing Sonic games so it seemed like a nobrainer. Up to that point I had never bought a game that I thought was offensively bad. To be honest I remember basically nothing about the gameplay except that it was so intensely boring that I gave up on the whole thing after a couple hours.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
Neverwinter Nights 2. I even bought a new graphics card to run it.

If you count kickstarters then Pillars of Eternity takes the spot instead. Never forget.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ultima IX almost looked and sounded good at first sight, since at least they got the feel of Britannia right. Getting deeper into the game, I just got more and more enraged by the insipid gameplay, terrible story, and dumbed-down dialogue. It was a complete travesty, and an insult to the Ultima series that made Pagan appear good in hindsight. I recall it being very expensive, too. That was a complete heartbreaker.

Here is another that took a while to sink in. Diablo 2 seemed interesting in its first hours, but there is something about the game that makes it colossally unfun - something was lost from the first game, leaving bloated skinner box that had all the addictive qualities and none of the fun highs of the original.

randir14

Augur
Cubeworld, it got abandoned shortly after I bought it.

Dawn of War 3, played too much like a wanna-be eSports game.

Mortal Kombat 11 - Drunk purchase, I don't even like fighting games.

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane
Mass Effect: Andromeda. 50$ I just wanted another Mass Effect game :cry:
Cyberpunk 2077 60€: I had more fun imagining and talking about it than actually playing it.
Risen 2 45€: Seeing Piranha Bytes my favourite studio, fall so low hurts to this day.

recently Solasta : Crown of the Magister.35€ It's so close to being the perfect 5e game that it makes me angry that they added in bad animated dialogue but not all classes.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The worst purchase I made gaming-wise was this scam that was the Amiga 1200, with both no worthy exclusive and limited backwards compatibility.

Falksi

Arcane
  • Witcher 3 main game - Jesus Christ what an absolute fucking catastrophic let down of a game. I was hyped for this after really enjoying the previous 2 games to varying degrees, and thought it could be an epic conclusion if they combined the best elements of the previous 2 games and really expanded on The Wild Hunt + Geralt's murky history with them. Instead they seemed to take the worst elements from them, watered them down further, stretched it out to a game several times bigger than it should be, and treated The Wild Hunt as an afterthought for most of the game. And god that walking mechanic upon release, Jesus, how can it be fine in Witcher 2 yet so shite in the sequel? I paid nearly full price for the cunting GOTY edition too.
  • Sonic 1 - Spent months awaiting the hugely hyped SEGA mascot's landing on the Megadrive. Speed, action, "think fast", "Don't blink" etc. all this spin promised us an adrenaline fueled extravaganza, and what we got was a game designed so that each level feels like your treading on eggshells if you want to keep your rings, a "fast" hedgehog who's turn of pace and inertia is sluggish as fuck until he gets up to speed, and areas like Labyrinth zone which slowed things down even more. I hated the thing so much that I got saving straight away for a Super Famicom.
  • Dragon Age 2 - What a complete and utter sack of shite.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Won discount coupon for Gothic 3, bought it on release because "you can't go wrong with Pirhanias".
oh my

Amiga CD 32
Failed attempt at socializing with gaming folks...
Got the wrong one. Even though I got this really cheap it still left me with bitter taste in my mouth.

Neverwinter Night 2
After long hunt for boxed edition with all expansions I was welcomed by garbage patching servers .
One tiny connection error means you start from the beginning.
Getting GOG version later for few bucks was better. This and Relic's RTSes since Dawn of War (and to extend - Fallout NV) were the reasons to jump digital future ship.

Last edited:

curds

Magister
Pillars of Eternity: Bought from key reseller. Waste of $15.

Realms Beyond kickstarter. Backed for like $100 I think, game seems to not exist anymore, last I heard.

Knights of the Chalice 2 kickstarter. Backed for about $50 I think. First version of backer copy was fucked. Unbelievably buggy and horribly balanced. Really disappointing because KotC1 was literally flawless. Haven't looked into it since then, though. Maybe Pierre has fixed most of the problems now, maybe I'll go back and check it out again.

Also regret the hundreds (possibly thousands) I've wasted buying on-sale games at GOG and Steam just because they were cheap which I'll most likely never play. Thankfully I've learned not to do that any more.

Learned my lesson about kickstarter, too.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
My PlayStation 3: Bought it late it its lifecycle to play the praised console exclusives (i.e. Uncharted and God of War) and didn't enjoy them at all. I think I spent more time watching BluRays than playing games on it.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
BONEWORKS, a VR game that looks great in videos, and is absolutely atrocious to play.
One of the main gimmicks is that your body has physics, allowing you to knock over things, climb seamlessly, etc. This results in cool experiences such as your hand getting stuck in a shelf while reaching to pick something up, but of course in real life its not stuck, so your real arm gets disjointed from your virtual arm and it feels surprisingly bad. Its just bad feels seeing your virtual arm spazz out like a bad ragdoll. Your brain doesn't like seeing that.
Also the fast movement associated with jumps and falls is really good at moving stomach juices up your throat, I found.

Was rejected a refund despite writing a big post about how the game is torture, and ended up paying $30 for about 3-4 hours of trying to make this whole thing work, in 30-40 minute sessions, regret, and "lets try again" next week.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom