Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

getting burned out on games

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
So lately I started feeling like I got burned out on gaming. Apparently people think it's a thing.

My backlog had grown to huge size, with most games being games discussed on the Codex. I had a few dozen hours in all of them, never finished most of them. Just fucking around until fatigue set in.

The reason my backlog had grown so large was mostly due to Kickstarter era stuff and semi-indies cluttering up all the space. I remembered how psyched I was when most of these games were announced and during development, and how little they actually delivered.

Then, almost ready to give up on gaming, I dug out the old Dungeons of Aledorn alpha, and had more fun with that one fight in it and what little there was to explore than with all others of my recent purchases combined. A lot of it is still hype and thinking they'll deliver the old school experience I was looking for, admittedly. But it made me realize one thing:

You're never burned out on games, you're burned out on shit games.

You can still find stuff that tickles your adrenal glands, you just can't bring yourself to slog through more uninspired crap, probably because you've done it one too many times already. And replaying the classics didn't help either - I just needed new stuff to tickle my curiosity and fancy like in the old days.

Falksi

Arcane
Nothing breaks up that fatigue better than classic 80's & 90's arcade style games.

Even if I'm playing my fave PC RPG I'll drop onto something like Afterburner 2, Thunderforce 3 or Golden Axe for a 20-60 min blast now and then just to have a breather.

Currently playing through Avernum: Escape from pit, and every five or six hours I'll have a blast on something else for a short while.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stop playing shit games and play good ones.

Have you finished Prelude to Darkness yet?

What about The Void?

If not, shut up and fuck off.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Burnouts? Or getting tired of overrated garbage, either indie or AAA shovelmunch
My backlog
Of course... the biggest (but not the sole) reason of burnouts.
No wonder you get one when you turn entertainment into job.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Go do something productive with your life
I'm always reminded of this Charlie Kaufman when I experience such negative thoughts aimed at myself :‘That’s two hours I’ll never get back,’ is a favorite thing for an angry person to say about a movie he hates. But the thing is, every two hours are two hours he’ll never get back. You cannot hoard your two hourses."

But yes, I agree that diversifying your consumption of art is a great way to keep yourself fresh. Don't drown yourself by installing 5+games you can't simultaneously play. Also, grow the confidence in your own taste to look at a game you acquired on the cheap and be able to say to yourself, yeah this isn't for me. Or play for an hour and reach a verdict. I used to be guilty of finishing things I didn't particularly enjoy. I've become less stubborn in that regard.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just mix it up. I have an infinite backlog I'll probably never manage to blow through, but if I start getting tired of games, I may focus on other areas of my life for a bit. Otherwise, I just switch genres, e.g. isometric RPGs -> action RPGs -> blobbers -> looter shooters -> etc.

If you have any significant backlog, you can probably do this without paying for more games. Otherwise, bundles and the like will help round out your library.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Stop playing shit games and play good ones.

Have you finished Prelude to Darkness yet?

what I've read about it doesn't instill confidence. Also, no more Codex nominees for my backlog

Expand your horizon and start playing JRPG's.

This is true to some extent. However that can multiply the problem as it adds even more shovelware to sift through

Read a book.

reading, movies, any other activity was fine before I started getting into games again, too. It doesn't really solve the problem though IME (very rarely does a book make you want to play a game)

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Go back to playing Skyrim and Mass Effect while complaining games are boring, retard.

Konjad

Patron
Go back to playing Skyrim and Mass Effect while complaining games are boring, retard.

There are quite a few Codex curated games that I rate shit tier. My former self would have tried to objectively dissect them and give kudos for the parts that are well done, but now I think they're just shite.
lol what are "codex curated" games?

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

There are quite a few Codex curated games that I rate shit tier. My former self would have tried to objectively dissect them and give kudos for the parts that are well done, but now I think they're just shite.

this

or just games that seem to be rated highly by the some of the hivemind

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Read a book.

reading, movies, any other activity was fine before I started getting into games again, too. It doesn't really solve the problem though IME (very rarely does a book make you want to play a game)

Then don't play anything, if you can enjoy other things there's no reason to play video games, there's nothing special about video games.

there is

shitposting while basking in the afterglow isn't the same for movies or books

Konjad

Patron

this

lol that channel is a joke, they recommend everything

there is

shitposting while basking in the afterglow isn't the same for movies or books

Then stop wasting your time here and go play the game you want to play the most right now. There's no magical words that changes a person mentality, you have to do it yourself.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I got burned out on games years ago. They are way too restricting and boring these days.

Then I got back into simulations: Arma III, DCS, X-Plane, MSFS, The Hunter, Assetto Corsa etc and have never looked back.

There are also serious strategy games or sandbox games like KSP or Automation etc

Also, unless you've played the classics there's no reason to waste your time with indie or mediocre games, life is too short for that. Grab the codex top 101 RPGs and play something from the top 20.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

this

more or less true, though if you read the Codex simultaneously you can still make out certain trends

anyway, "you don't like this one obscure game I like so you're full of popamole shit" Carry on Konjad, you're the hero the RPG Codex needs right now

spectre

Arcane
Don't do backlogs. This shit just leeches any fun from it. Drop all the early access, kikestarted bullshit that promises you the moon... you just need to wait a bit longer until it gets delivered. Fuck that.
Truth is, getting games is just too convenient these days and there's plenty of shit fighting to get your attention, you're not getting that old timey feeling of getting home with a box, leafing through the manual to build tension back.

So, one game at a time, do other shit in the meantime. If you play a game, make sure it's a good one. Avoid mmo and sandbox crap, you want something that gives you a short and snappy experience,
if it's taking 2 hours and you're still in the tutorial, or you're stuck doing the same shit on loop, fuck that shit.

Not sure what your preferred genres are, three games that did it for me, off the top of my head, were Ori and the Blind Forest, Invisible Inc. and Shadow Tactics.
It was a breath of fresh air playing a finished game by devs who knew what they were doing.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron

this

more or less true, though if you read the Codex simultaneously you can still make out certain trends

anyway, "you don't like this one obscure game I like so you're full of popamole shit" Carry on Konjad, you're the hero the RPG Codex needs right now
Well, I tried to help recommending you a game as close to Arcanum and Fallout as possible (and in some ways even better), as well as another game that is very unique and both pleasant and challenging in so many ways, but you declined because some steam channel nobody cares about recommended you shit?

You are a retard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom