Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

If I had to complain, I guess I don't like how most of the loot you find is just consumables.

The base game is like this, there's a lot less emphasis on loot/equipment, which I didn't think was a bad thing. In fact, with practically all games in the past 10-15 years having a randomized loot system of some kind, it's refreshing. I can't stand random loot in games anymore.

That said, they up the ante a lot in the Old Hunters DLC - the first area has practically more drops than the entire base game. Old Hunters is amazing, btw. Best bosses From has ever done IMO.

I didn't like Orphan of Chaos. Maybe because is the only FROM boss I haven't been able to beat to this date.

Maybe I have to get gud, but found the camera atrocious for such a random, aggressive and mobile boss. When he starts jumping on the second phase is a pain to fight him, very cheap IMO.

It doesn't help is a 30 FPS game, and that you have to stop fighting him to grind for blood vials after a while, unlike DS which had estus flasks.

I think Bloodborne is the second Best Miyazaki game after DS1, but the removal of replenishable health items on death was a mistake. They removed one of the better game mechanics of the series.

I'm not a fan of blood vials either, but by the point you reach Orphan of Kos it's trivial to farm them, the best spot I could find was the lantern in Mergo's loft just before the boss - the boars there frequently drop 2 vials each, plus you get a ton of echoes you can use to buy vials from the messengers at the Hunter's Dream.

My favourite expansion boss was Maria, but Kos was a fun fight. Very dynamic and you have to be on your toes all the time. I like the fact that he's so aggressive. It took me about 10 tries to beat him.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think Bloodborne is the second Best Miyazaki game after DS1, but the removal of replenishable health items on death was a mistake. They removed one of the better game mechanics of the series.
Auto-replenishing healing items in souls are clearly superior, but you can easily go through Bloodborne without ever having to farm if you just learn to dump all your spare (insufficient to level up) blood echoes into vials whenever you visit the hunter's dream. You can find yourself with 300+ blood vials around the mid-game.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Well, I love the game with all my heart, but I can't beat the chalice Rom. Whatever I do, eventually one of the spiders jumps at me from off the screen and oneshots me. It just stopped being fun.
I managed to beat him, but it took a lot of tries. Iirc I found the boss pretty trivial before third phase because he doesn't attack so you can clear all the spiders before carrying on. But when he starts attacking you kinda just have to run him down asap or you are toast. Beast pellets and lightning attacks are your friend.

Auto-replenishing healing items in souls are clearly superior, but you can easily go through Bloodborne without ever having to farm if you just learn to dump all your spare (insufficient to level up) blood echoes into vials whenever you visit the hunter's dream. You can find yourself with 300+ blood vials around the mid-game.
Partly true, but if you get stuck on a boss for a while it is pretty easy to run out, and the vials become very expensive lategame. I like being able to find extra when making progress, but it is not worth the pain of having to farm.

Machocruz

Arcane
So while I had dabbled with this game at friends' houses, I've now finally started an actual playthrough from the beginning, on my laptop through PSNow. And I have a question for people who played on PS4:

Was there notable delay between pressing the dodge/roll button and the dodge actually happening? I'm at an impasse on Cleric Beast because the dodge does not seem to function reliably at all, even if I time it pre-emptively. If it's not a full second delay, it's close. My guy feels like a fucking retarded sluggard who gets hit by even the most telegraphed attacks, it's aggravating. Could be my connection or some other streaming hiccup, but I'm leaning towards the wireless XboxOne pad I'm using because also had the same thing when playing Dark Souls 3 using that controller, and using a dying wireless controller playing DkS2 on PS3 (switched to a wired, third party controller, which seemed to alleviate the prob).

I never noticed such delay on DeS or DS1 (both PS3 versions), which I have hundreds of hours on.

EDIT: Or it could be my laptop specs. I doubt I would be able to run the game well and as good as it looks through PSN if it was an actual PC port.

Machocruz

Arcane
Just saw newtmonkey post about his PSNow experience. I wouldn't say the delay I'm experiencing is minor, for a game like this. I'm on a 50d/6u Mbps plan, don't know how good/bad that is for this.

But otherwise, the game is so sick. Central Yarhnam...what a layout. It's DkS1 level, maybe on steroids. Would have to see how the whole game weaves together.

Snatching niggas' shit out with visceral attacks never gets old. I go for it whenever I can. You really punk these bitches out with that shit.

I would love to see a making of and find out where they got all the ideas from. I know Lovecraft, Stoker, and all that, but I'm curious about some other things like what inspired the weapons (Brotherhood of the Wolf is one I know of), the visceral attacks, etc.

I thought I was done with Muhzaki Game during the (imo) uninspired DkS3, but I think I was just tired of that series' fantasy soup world. But BB, and Sekiro to a lesser extent, got me hooked again.

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I'm afraid it's the streaming. I'm experiencing no dodge delay on my non-pro PS4. Tbh, this is exactly what I'd expect from streaming gaming services. Fortunately, some boss fights, including the Cleric Beast, are wonky either way ;-) Hope you get to enjoy this wonderful game regardless of the problems!

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Machocruz

Playing on PSNow's latency makes things trickier, but as long as you have consistent latency (ie, the level of lag doesn't randomly become worse or better. Like with any streaming service, your mileage may vary based on your country/location/ISP/DSL vs Fiber and other shitfactors) you can eventually get used to it and press buttons anticipating the level of delay. For as much as people call BB a fast paced game, you have more opportunities to use slow moves like charged heavy attacks than in DS3 too. Enemies might sometimes feature long strings of combos type attacks but show plenty of downtime in between said combos or when baited to do certain moves. There's not many things in the game that are as relentless as some DS3 bullshit (Shield wielding Lothric Knights, Pus of Man, Outrider Knight the list of things that make using slow weapons hellish goes on and on and on). When people compare DS3 to BB I just don't get it. BB is more forgiving in every way.

Also, don't let yourself be too intimidated by the early game, the difficulty curve is unlike any other From game. Bloodborne main game has a V curve in which you get some of the harder content early on (gascoigne, BSB), then fight mostly really easy bosses and only get challenged again at the very end.

IMHO, you'll know if you can stomach finishing the game on PSNow if you can kill Gascoigne.

Machocruz

Arcane
The lag can become very much worse. Just played now and the screen had constant distortion/glitching and even more delayed movement. Will try again some other time.

But I did run into Gascoigne when things were working better yesterday, and although he killed me, having a wider arena alleviated the input problems somewhat. I didn't do myself any favors by fixating on parrying, that's how he got me, but I wasn't frustrated. Still doesn't feel how it should, I've literally yelled at my character to stop dragging his fucking ass, and I plan on playing the game under better conditions in the near future

newtmonkey

Arcane
Machocruz

I think the delay will depend on not only the speed of your connection, but your distance from wherever Sony has its closest PSNow servers. In my case I was pretty fortunate and while the delay was noticeable, it was pretty consistent so you could get used to it. I would reckon I was getting about a half a second of delay—noticeable and somewhat uncomfortable, but workable.

Having said that, I eventually got a cheap used PS4 to play this.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Coming back to the bosses, I'm not a fan of Orphan because I'd prefer a conflict with a boss to be a learning experience. In the case of Orphan it's just too random, you can't really experiment in any sensible way. I was behaving sensibly with the vials before that and I amassed a few hundreds before the fight; lost them all :)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Coming back to the bosses, I'm not a fan of Orphan because I'd prefer a conflict with a boss to be a learning experience. In the case of Orphan it's just too random, you can't really experiment in any sensible way. I was behaving sensibly with the vials before that and I amassed a few hundreds before the fight; lost them all :)
The Orphan is the hardest boss I've beaten in any of the souls games, and I had to pull out all the stops. I grinded for vials. Then I went and did a bunch of chalice dungeons "for fun" and grinded a bunch of levels. Pretty sure I've spent more than 5 hours on various attempts to kill him interspersed throughout that.

It wasn't worth it. Please abort your cosmic babies before they become screeching orphans.

Ivan

Arcane
I can't say the same. The moment I was vicotrious, I was probably shaking. Similar to after when I overcame Ishin in Sekiro.

That said, the reversion to old Demons Souls healing method was decline.

Machocruz

Arcane
Minimizing the game screen somehow smoothed out the stream. Still had input delay, but this time my guy didn't seem to move like rigor mortis was setting in, eating 80% of attacks. Beat Cleric Beast as soon as I did that. Maybe I got gudder, but I doubt it, I still made some easily avoidable mistakes.

Won't play the whole game like this, I need to savor this art direction properly, fullscreen. From is like peak Ridley Scott here. Everything is just cool as fuck. I don't think there's been a more impressive visual depiction of this thematic material in any mainstream game. I'd say most films too, but a lot of the look is cobbled together from various films, so.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
1626114315184.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
If Bloodborne: Endless Nocturne exists and actually will be released on PC 4,5 months from now, how much would you pay for this?
Hmm. I like bloodborne a whole lot, and have actually looked around for second hand playstations to buy, just to play it again (too costly). So while I would like to not pay more than 40 euro for a port of a 6 year old game, realistically I'd probably be willing to pay 60....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom